Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

eltonyio wrote: »
    No, those things are quite a signficant difference on a day to day basis for a large part of the population. Either you know that and you're on a wind up here trolling the thread, or perhaps they do not matter to you as you're off getting your massages.

I'm betting the gardai in Dublin are feeling it's a bit different day to day at the moment.

Seeing as we have a mostly closed pub and restaurant sector for several more weeks, seeing as we have no fans at our national sport, and seeing that we have street chaos in our capital city, it's a pretty clear difference between North and republic right now.

But you're entitled to your view and good luck to you.
    They'll have that the in the North as well in a few weeks but that's nothing to do with Covid

No, those things are quite a signficant difference on a day to day basis for a large part of the population. Either you know that and you're on a wind up here trolling the thread, or perhaps they do not matter to you as you're off getting your massages.
    I'm betting the gardai in Dublin are feeling it's a bit different day to day at the moment.

Seeing as we have a mostly closed pub and restaurant sector for several more weeks, seeing as we have no fans at our national sport, and seeing that we have street chaos in our capital city, it's a pretty clear difference between North and republic right now.

But you're entitled to your view and good luck to you.

Well, I have been in both north and south in the last week.
    I also have a very good idea of how Gardai in Dublin feel.

So, no, no wind up, but I'm not a hysterical poster either.
    Bars & restaurants are open from tomorrow.
    Hotels are open
    Shops are open
    I believe gaa can have fans soon, but I don't know much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Are your reactions always so extreme? "ultra woke fckwit," "gob****es on line"? And does it occur to you that those who disagree with you here on line could level the latter gem right back at you?

The point being that anybody who values democracy values divergent views. That is democracy after all. So whether an "abundance of caution" which would categorise the Irish Govt approach to the pandemic or a more risky "live with the virus", it is always welcoming to have challenging and contrarian views in both politics and media. And we can all beg to differ without resorting to extremes, to insults and to ridicule.

Couldn't agree more tbf.
    It's situations like this that anti travel zealots don't seem to care about....

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭eltonyio

bubblypop wrote: »
    Well, I have been in both north and south in the last week.
    I also have a very good idea of how Gardai in Dublin feel.

So, no, no wind up, but I'm not a hysterical poster either.
    Bars & restaurants are open from tomorrow.
    Hotels are open
    Shops are open
    I believe gaa can have fans soon, but I don't know much about it.

Outdoors only
    500 permitted in July if stadium is 5000 plus capacity

I walked around Temple Bar (fine) and South William Street (chaos) at 7pm this evening and really it's very different to Derry/ Belfast, or any major town in the north at the moment. I felt sorry for the gardai to be honest as it's a national embarrassment of a situation. Nobody is happy with what's going on in there now - the locals, the publicans, the drinkers themselves, public health, gardai.

Outdoors only
    500 permitted in July if stadium is 5000 plus capacity

I walked around Temple Bar (fine) and South William Street (chaos) at 7pm this evening and really it's very different to Derry/ Belfast, or any major town in the north at the moment. I felt sorry for the gardai to be honest as it's a national embarrassment of a situation. Nobody is happy with what's going on in there now - the locals, the publicans, the drinkers themselves, public health, gardai.

I'm not sure what scrotes going mad in town have to do with the difference between restrictions north and South?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Untrue. It's very different.
    Things currently allowed in NI, for example:
    • Indoor dining in pubs & restaurants that aren't hotels
    • indoor drinking in pubs & restaurants that aren't hotels
    • Flying abroad for a non essential reason to several countries
    • 500 fans at outdoor events, e.g. GAA matches
    • Pools are open

Things not currently allowed in ROI:
    • All of the above

I think you left out the most important difference of all.

NI has significantly higher rates of first and second vaccinations compared to here. With approx 3/4 of the all adults having had their first dose.

Hence being a little ahead of us with regard to a roll back of restrictions.

I'm not sure what scrotes going mad in town have to do with the difference between restrictions north and South?

Maybe not much, am working on the assumption that having an open hospitality industry would have reeled that in a little and managed it. Perhaps not though, we'll never know.

Maybe not much, am working on the assumption that having an open hospitality industry would have reeled that in a little and managed it. Perhaps not though, we'll never know.

From tomorrow it should settle down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

The term scrotes has really taken hold!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

From tomorrow it should settle down

It won't. eltonyio is telling it exactly as it is. In fact he/she is tremendously patient with you. There is no denying that relaxation in the north and south are polar opposites. Ireland is an outlier to almost every European country and it's no surprise that anti social behaviour from certain sectors is spiralling out of control here. No point saying what WILL be relaxed here, the point is several things are not sufficiently relaxed yet. You personally might be ok with that but many are extremely frustrated and that has to be acknowledged.

• Advertisement

It won't. eltonyio is telling it exactly as it is. In fact he/she is tremendously patient with you. There is no denying that relaxation in the north and south are polar opposites. Ireland is an outlier to almost every European country and it's no surprise that anti social behaviour from certain sectors is spiralling out of control here. No point saying what WILL be relaxed here, the point is several things are not sufficiently relaxed yet. You personally might be ok with that but many are extremely frustrated and that has to be acknowledged.

Everything is opened tomorrow. Tomorrow, not months away. Tomorrow.

The usual moaning and complaining on here as always! We are not a major outlier. There have been restrictions at different times in different countries.
    They are basically over here now.
    I was chatting to friends when I was in the north the other day and we were just saying how it's the opposite now for a few weeks, last year they were closed and coming down South for drinks and holidays, now it's the opposite.

The anti social behaviour around south William Street will absolutely be gone tomorrow when dining starts up again, it will go back to the normal anti social behaviour that happens around there late at night at weekends. Because it does, smaller levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

Everything is opened tomorrow. Tomorrow, not months away. Tomorrow.

The usual moaning and complaining on here as always! We are not a major outlier. There have been restrictions at different times in different countries.
    They are basically over here now.
    I was chatting to friends when I was in the north the other day and we were just saying how it's the opposite now for a few weeks, last year they were closed and coming down South for drinks and holidays, now it's the opposite.

The anti social behaviour around south William Street will absolutely be gone tomorrow when dining starts up again, it will go back to the normal anti social behaviour that happens around there late at night at weekends. Because it does, smaller levels.

You are completely in denial. Everything is not opened tomorrow. Indoor dining and indoor drinking is not open tomorrow. We are not Spain or Italy where we can live outdoors from May to October. Unrestricted foreign travel isn't coming back tomorrow, you're still liable to a 2K fine. Those restrictions aren't anywhere else.

Chatting to friends about the story last year has nothing to do with what is happening right now and right now life is more relaxed in the north.

I won't get into an argument with you regarding the anti social behaviour as I'm neither a Garda nor a Dublin resident but quite frankly I fail to see how outdoor dining will majorly relieve anti social behaviour.

It's bad enough that Ireland has classed itself as one of the strictest countries and that has been acknowledged by just about everyone from politicians to plebs. It's very annoying when people are hell bent on denying that because the reality seems to make them uncomfortable. We are all citizens of Ireland. We all live here and we all see with our own two eyes how this crisis has been played out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Had a night in Belfast last night. Was brilliant. Taste of normality. Few indoor pints, early dinner (booked 3 weeks ago) and a couple for the road in hotel bar afterwards (everywhere else had large Qs to get in). Breakfast in the hotel restaurant and coffee in a coffee shop before hitting the road.

Really emphasised how life is returning back to normal up there. Everyone was cautious but it wasn’t “in your face” with all the yellow warning stickers and glares from people.

Really hope tomorrow is the beginning of the end. If stats stay the same they really need to bring forward the further easing dates and reopen international travel without PCR requirement (rapid antigen).

Looking forward to hitting the gym to try finally shift some of these COVID kgs!

Everything is opened tomorrow

But that just isn't true so why keep saying it? The following will still not be open after tomorrow in Ireland (for example off the top of my head):

Soft play for kids
    Group fitness classes indoors in gyms

Indoor dining/ drinking

Bowling, snooker, amusements etc (for the scrotes)
    Any form of non essential travel

I do agree the South William Street issue will settle down from this week, but it was entirely predictable for this weekend and could have been dealt with using common sense and possibly opening outdoor pubs 2-3 days earlier.

beaz2018 wrote: »
    Up the north for the weekend. Complete normality here, hotel full, only a few token masks, swimming pool wedged, kids having fun. Some relief compared to that prison in the south, I’ll be coming up here again this summer, they can fook off with their bollox rules and staycations.

Wow, there's nothing I would like more than a country with even ****ter weather and no masks while people breath on me in a packed pool.

Living the dream

But that just isn't true so why keep saying it? The following will still not be open after tomorrow in Ireland (for example off the top of my head):

Soft play for kids
    Group fitness classes indoors in gyms

Indoor dining/ drinking

Bowling, snooker, amusements etc (for the scrotes)
    Any form of non essential travel

I do agree the South William Street issue will settle down from this week, but it was entirely predictable for this weekend and could have been dealt with using common sense and possibly opening outdoor pubs 2-3 days earlier.

I'm going bowling tomorrow and tayto park next week.

Outdoor pubs a few days earlier would have made it better how?

I'm going bowling tomorrow and tayto park next week.

Outdoor pubs a few days earlier would have made it better how?

Is bowling open tomorrow? Good, happy to be wrong on that. I can't see anywhere that says amusements indoors are open but could have missed it.

The other points all stand, as does the general travel related issue that we are out of line with NI by some distance.

I think - and happy to discuss as it's not black and white fact like the others that bubbly is just wrong on that 'everything is open tomorrow' - that having pubs open, with outdoor seating, service, toilets, security, would have normalised the whole landscaoe in Dublin and brought some degree of respectability to it all. That's just an opinion though and maybe it wouldn't have made any difference. If it doesn't make any difference, I guess we have 3 weeks more of it to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

It's nearly back to normal, you would think you should be happy!!

A lot of small companies have been wiped out but limp on. Between now and the end of the year they will have to face the music.

No 'Back to Normal', no 'Happy' for many, many people.

but you really are a bit too Pollyanna for my liking. Sorry!

I have never been called that before :D

0lddog wrote: »
    A lot of small companies have been wiped out but limp on. Between now and the end of the year they will have to face the music.

No 'Back to Normal', no 'Happy' for many, many people.

Yep.
    I agree. I'm not a fan of lockdowns at all and I have massive sympathy for those in the hospitality sector, particularly the 'dry' pubs that have been closed all the time. It's devastating. I really hope things go well for them. I'm booked into a hotel down the country myself next week.
    Not really relevant to this particular discussion though. Posters are not complaining because of their business, but because they cannot sit inside and have a pint and a carvery dinner for the last few months. Well soon they can, they should be happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

rajqo wrote: »
    did anyone fly out of dublin airport recently early morning? is garda asking people where they go there sitting 24/7?

Went through security at 5.15am Saturday morning. There was an airport security stand before security. They asked me why I was going and did I have proof. They waved me through once I gave the reason and that I did have proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I find all this testing to be able to fly useless. Those without symptoms, who want it negative, will have it simply by following anty rules for preparing for testing, like gargling, emptying their nose etc.

Only those with symptoms, would have too big viral load to have a negative test, but then they have symptoms and shouldn't be allowed on board anyway.

is testing on arrival mandatory even if youve been vaccinated?

Coming into Ireland? Right now You need a negative PCR test, I think most airlines look for it before you board anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dobbytoes wrote: »
    What proof of vaccine will they accept though? There is no proof of vaccination available to Irish people yet. I doubt that they will accept the card that just has the vaccination batch numbers.

a) Certificate of vaccination
    -The vaccines accepted are those authorised by either the European Medicines Agency or for emergency use by the World Health Organisation.
    -The certificate must have been issued by an authority of the country of origin at least 14 days after full vaccination.
    -The certificate must contain the following information: country, authority that issues the certificate, name and surname of the traveller, date of vaccination (with indication of the date when the last dose was administered), type of vaccine and number of doses administered.

It’s all here.

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Embajadas/DUBLIN/en/Embajada/ServiciosConsulares/Pages/Covid-19-Travelling-to-Spain.aspx

sorry forgot to add i was planning on going to Spain in August, not sure i'll bother if all this testing is needed though. thanks

I'm not sure if the entry into Spain, but by August this green cert should be up and running, so if your vaccinated, it will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Feria40 wrote: »
    Nope. Ireland is a 'country of risk' and a negative Antigen test is acceptable for entry to Spain now.

You got a link to that ?maybe I’m reading it wrong brilliant news if so, makes the costs cheaper now.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Hi guy's great thread. Thinking of going to Spain in August. Wife will be fully jabbed.
    Seen today Spain will accept antigen tests.
    Are they the same procedure as the PCR test.
    I have no problem taking it,but I have a special needs child who probably would have a complete meltdown.

If your child is over 6 you will need a PCR test to get them back to Ireland, which is much more invasive than antigen. If you font think theyd cope with one then you need to reconsider your trip unfortunately.

Again that wasn't the question that was asked. We know masks are to be worn in the airport and on planes. The question was about mandatory SURGICAL masks.

Yes it was not about masks it was about specific SURGICAL masks and a set up requiring people who arrive with their own masks to then buy new masks direct from an airline.

As expected it was the usual same few posters who deliberately misinterpreted my question as if I'm some gombeen just learning now that masks are required. Thank christ for the ignore button.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    If your child is over 6 you will need a PCR test to get them back to Ireland, which is much more invasive than antigen. If you font think theyd cope with one then you need to reconsider your trip unfortunately.

The test for children is just like the antigen test just a light rub in the nostrils my son got one back a while ago.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement

Marty Bird wrote: »
    The test for children is just like the antigen test just a light rub in the nostrils my son got one back a while ago.

Is that the guidelines for kids or just your experience though?

They were very gentle with my own kids too, but theres always a risk isnt there that youd get some tester intent on the brain whirling the adults are subjected to?

The OP knows his kid best and what they could cope with. It was more a warning that its PCR not antigen on the return either way :)

Advertisement