Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Is that the guidelines for kids or just your experience though?

They were very gentle with my own kids too, but theres always a risk isnt there that youd get some tester intent on the brain whirling the adults are subjected to?

The OP knows his kid best and what they could cope with. It was more a warning that its PCR not antigen on the return either way :)

Yeah good point, could have just been the tester on the day for my lad.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Marty Bird wrote: »
    You got a link to that ?maybe I’m reading it wrong brilliant news if so, makes the costs cheaper now.

Scroll down on this webpage (it's the portal for Spain's locator form):

https://www.spth.gob.es/

Antigen or PCR is how I read it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

If your child is over 6 you will need a PCR test to get them back to Ireland, which is much more invasive than antigen. If you font think theyd cope with one then you need to reconsider your trip unfortunately.

More invasive? Have they changed the way they swab for the antigen test? I've had two antigen tests by private providers (last one taken three weeks ago) and they did the horrible nose and throat swab. I couldn't actually tell the difference between the antigen and the PCR, except that their sealed sample bags had different labels.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Dr. Em wrote: »
    More invasive? Have they changed the way they swab for the antigen test? I've had two antigen tests by private providers (last one taken three weeks ago) and they did the horrible nose and throat swab. I couldn't actually tell the difference between the antigen and the PCR, except that their sealed sample bags had different labels.

Edited.

This is either not correct or your experience is non standard

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/antigen-testing-for-covid-19.html

( in other countries school children are administering them themselves in class)

So the only difference is time and cost?

Didnt realise that, I assumed antigen would also be less invasive (given in other countries school children are administering them themselves in class)

I’m only going on my personal experience of the antigen test I received in work, and it was only a rub of the nostrils didn’t take a sample from my throat.

• Advertisement

Feria40 wrote: »
    Scroll down on this webpage (it's the portal for Spain's locator form):

https://www.spth.gob.es/

Antigen or PCR is how I read it

I’m not see antigen when it gives you the link for risk countries, you get this.

REQUIREMENT OF A NEGATIVE PCR/TMA TEST IF YOU TRAVEL TO SPAIN FROM A RISK COUNTRY/AREA

I’m only going on my personal experience of the antigen test I received in work, and it was only a rub of the nostrils didn’t take a sample from my throat.

Hse own website describes antigen as a nose test only. Perhaps the other poster got a very over zealous tester but I think nose only for antigen is the standard

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/antigen-testing-for-covid-19.html

I’m not see antigen when it gives you the link for risk countries, you get this.

REQUIREMENT OF A NEGATIVE PCR/TMA TEST IF YOU TRAVEL TO SPAIN FROM A RISK COUNTRY/AREA

https://www.spth.gob.es/faq?tab=2

"What COVID-19 diagnostic tests are accepted for entry into Spain?

2 types of tests are allowed, with negative result:

Nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT), which detect the genetic material of the virus (RT-PCR, TMA and RT-LAMP).

Rapid antigen detection tests (RATs), which detect the presence of virus antigens. The tests accepted are those authorised by the European Commission, which can be consulted at the following link.
    These tests must have been carried out (taking of the sample) 48 hours before arrival in Spain."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Hse own website describes antigen as a nose test only. Perhaps the other poster got a very over zealous tester but I think nose only for antigen is the standard

Private providers might be doing it differently for travel. Randox still says it is a nose and throat swab for the rapid antigen test and one of mine was at RocDoc and that was nose and throat too. https://booking.randox.ie/

Nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT), which detect the genetic material of the virus (RT-PCR, TMA and RT-LAMP).

Rapid antigen detection tests (RATs), which detect the presence of virus antigens. The tests accepted are those authorised by the European Commission, which can be consulted at the following link.
    These tests must have been carried out (taking of the sample) 48 hours before arrival in Spain."

Ah ha. See it now thanks great news I’m not due to travel until Aug so was hoping for a change by then. Randox is €49 for the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Wrinkly runner

If your child is over 6 you will need a PCR test to get them back to Ireland, which is much more invasive than antigen. If you font think theyd cope with one then you need to reconsider your trip unfortunately.
    Thank you.Just turned 6 so it looks like the antigen test will be required to travel to Spain and none returning.
    I was hoping there would be a easier method of testing children with special needs.

The test for children is just like the antigen test just a light rub in the nostrils my son got one back a while ago.

Not for mine it wasn't. She definitely got the 'jabbed in the brain' version

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Randox antigen test in Belfast City airport is throat and nose swab.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭General Toilet

Got my digital green cert today. Happy days. :)

faceman wrote: »
    a) Certificate of vaccination
    -The vaccines accepted are those authorised by either the European Medicines Agency or for emergency use by the World Health Organisation.
    -The certificate must have been issued by an authority of the country of origin at least 14 days after full vaccination.
    -The certificate must contain the following information: country, authority that issues the certificate, name and surname of the traveller, date of vaccination (with indication of the date when the last dose was administered), type of vaccine and number of doses administered.

It’s all here.

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Embajadas/DUBLIN/en/Embajada/ServiciosConsulares/Pages/Covid-19-Travelling-to-Spain.aspx

Yeah, but will the little card that we are issued suffice? It's not exactly a certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

I'm sorry but I'm getting a little confused. I'm travelling to Spain this week. This is what I'm confused about:

The mention of 48 hours. I thought the test had to be within a 72 hour window of arrival, has that changed?

Will they now accept antigen from all passengers?

Also, there is something about fully vaccinated passengers not needing a test from today. However, how does a passenger from Ireland prove that they are vaccinated?

Sorry again but it's hard to get clear information. I was happy with the plan to get my PCR the day before travelling and I'm wondering if despite being fully vaccinated, I should just go with that plan as it might be the safest bet?

Thanks so much to anyone who can provide a bit more clarity.

Dobbytoes wrote: »
    Yeah, but will the little card that we are issued suffice? It's not exactly a certificate.

Whatever the official position is, I can see clearly a situation in which the individual at Spain border control wont accept a little unofficial looking card. They can be belligerent at the best of times. Until we have a widely recognised app with a QR code, I'd still be getting a PCR test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

What was the procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

What country are you in ? App or how did it work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭General Toilet

dashoonage wrote: »
    What country are you in ? App or how did it work ?
    Bulgaria, they simply printed it out for me. Big QR code for verification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

That's great. Hopefully they can issue them here before 19th july and not have to wait till then to get them

Anyone know when we can get ours here ?

I'm sorry but I'm getting a little confused. I'm travelling to Spain this week. This is what I'm confused about:

The mention of 48 hours. I thought the test had to be within a 72 hour window of arrival, has that changed?

Will they now accept antigen from all passengers?

Also, there is something about fully vaccinated passengers not needing a test from today. However, how does a passenger from Ireland prove that they are vaccinated?

Sorry again but it's hard to get clear information. I was happy with the plan to get my PCR the day before travelling and I'm wondering if despite being fully vaccinated, I should just go with that plan as it might be the safest bet?

Thanks so much to anyone who can provide a bit more clarity.

PCR is 72 hours with Antigen being 48 hours I think*

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Thank you.Just turned 6 so it looks like the antigen test will be required to travel to Spain and none returning.
    I was hoping there would be a easier method of testing children with special needs.

Might be worth contacting dept of tourism/travel about this, I reckon children with special needs should be exempt from getting this test, especially if travelling with 2 fully vaccinated adults

• Registered Users Posts: 13,978 ✭✭✭✭josip

Can you post a pic of the QR code here so that we can see what it looks like?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

dashoonage wrote: »
    That's great. Hopefully they can issue them here before 19th july and not have to wait till then to get them

Anyone know when we can get ours here ?

Think i read last week in one of broadsheets it's expected to be in place before the end of the month. Will 100% be ready for the 19th anyway

josip wrote: »
    Can you post a pic of the QR code here so that we can see what it looks like?
    :)

That's probably not a good idea?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dobbytoes wrote: »

If it contains the relevant info then it will suffice

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Bulgaria is one of the 7 EU members that started issuing them last week.
    Germany, Poland, Croatia and Denmark are among that group (can't recall the other 2)

Meanwhile no info among HSE resources on how we can get ours.
    I'm fully vaxxed (from a non-EU country but with an EU approved vaccine) but have no way currently to register myself as such with our national Heather service.
    I want to get my Green Cert ASAP in order to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Tenger wrote: »
    Bulgaria is one of the 7 EU members that started issuing them last week.
    Germany, Poland, Croatia and Denmark are among that group (can't recall the other 2)

Meanwhile no info among HSE resources on how we can get ours.
    I'm fully vaxxed (from a non-EU country but with an EU approved vaccine) but have no way currently to register myself as such with our national Heather service.
    I want to get my Green Cert ASAP in order to travel.

I'm pretty sure you won't get a green cert for vaccination issued by Ireland. You need to be vaccinated by the HSE to get one.

You won't register yourself it'll be based on the HSE vaccine records & they haven't vaccinated you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Just got my second vaccination appointment booked for 14 days prior to my flight to Ireland, fingers crossed all goes well and i can visit the parents restriction free. Will be interesting to use the EU green certificate all the same

Advertisement