Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

If you get your test done at the airport prior to flying will the relevant authorities accept the results from the email on your phone or are you supposed to have a printed out cert? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MaryBrowne21

Phone is perfect. You need to upload it to boarding passes for Ryanair

Phone is perfect. You need to upload it to boarding passes for Ryanair

Thanks so much. I guess everything is better done electronically, though I was always one who preferred paper. Can everything be stored on the one smart phone ie boarding passes, QCRs for Spain? There is just myself and my partner but he doesn't have a smart phone so there would only be mine. We are older people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MaryBrowne21

Yes I travelled to Spain recently with my partner and had all information on my Iphone. The airport/Security staff are used to this and there were no issues at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

did anyone avail of these free covid-19 test centres? it says you will be notified by a text message of the result. Is text message a proof of a negative covid test done?

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/covid-19-walk-in-test-centres.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

rajqo wrote: »
    did anyone avail of these free covid-19 test centres? it says you will be notified by a text message of the result. Is text message a proof of a negative covid test done?

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/covid-19-walk-in-test-centres.html

I dont think they are acceptable for travel but I did see an eu tweet saying they are investigating a large amount to make tests more affordable for eu citizens. I will try and find the link

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭josip

rajqo wrote: »

Can't be used for travel.

Yes I travelled to Spain recently with my partner and had all information on my Iphone. The airport/Security staff are used to this and there were no issues at all!

Thanks so much for your help MaryBrowne21, it really is reassuring to hear how other passengers have got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Looks like I’ll be going via Belfast. I’ll get the train which will be getting me into Belfast for 17.06 then my flight departs city airport at 19.55

City airport looks to be about 10 mins by taxi?

What’s city airport like, I’ll have 2 small kids in tow? Should I grab food in Belfast before heading to the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

freida wrote: »
    I dont think they are acceptable for travel but I did see an eu tweet saying they are investigating a large amount to make tests more affordable for eu citizens. I will try and find the link

The EU has indeed bought millions of tests to make travel affordable. Unfortunately they are antigen tests, as they are to be allowed as part of the digital cert. Unfortunately, our gov shows no sign of signing up for that particular part of the cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 nonethepfizer

is the CTA due to be allowed non quarantine travel from July along with other international travel, or is that a no no?

I cannot find any solid info anywhere about it, other than alluding that it won't

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

is the CTA due to be allowed non quarantine travel from July along with other international travel, or is that a no no?

I cannot find any solid info anywhere about it, other than alluding that it won't
    the uk is riddled with the indian variant and overall infections have increased 50% in a week and are still rising every single day with an R number of 1.3.

With that in mind, can you see Tony allowing a free for all from the UK any time soon ?

Places were lumped into Manditory Hotel Quarantine with no explaination for FAR FAR FAR less risk than the UK now poses

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

the uk is riddled with the indian variant and overall infections have increased 50% in a week and are still rising every single day with an R number of 1.3.

With that in mind, can you see Tony allowing a free for all from the UK any time soon ?

Places were lumped into Manditory Hotel Quarantine with no explaination for FAR FAR FAR less risk than the UK now poses

Edited as Leo has rolled back on talk of reopening the CTA "soon". Pcr test needed on arrival in Roi currently. However it's a free for all between uk and NI.

Adding them to MHQ will never happen. Coming in via Belfast will always be an option even if it was.

Also, despite being "riddled ", only 120 people have been hospitalised from the indian variant, 80 of whom were unvaccinated. Out of 66 million. The risk from the indian variant is low once we get our **** together and keep vaccines rolling out here, despite what RTE would love us to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    The official line currently though is that the UK will be treated as EU for the purpose of the green cert

Got a source for that?

Last I saw was they are being considered a non EU country

Edit: They are indeed non EU for green pass

"The approach to travel outside the EU/EEA will also apply to travel to and from Great Britain and the US."

thank you for that unhelpful speculative answer
    The official line currently though is that the UK will be treated as EU for the purpose of the green cert however. So in theory post July 19th it's a free for all between uk and ROI.

Adding them to MHQ will never happen. Coming in via Belfast will always be an option even if it was.

Also, despite being "riddled ", only 120 people have been hospitalised from the indian variant, 80 of whom were unvaccinated. Out of 66 million. The risk from the indian variant is low once we get our **** together and keep vaccines rolling out here, despite what RTE would love us to think.

thank you for that answer that addressed what I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Great news that Spain and by extension the Canary Islands is now accepting Antigen tests for people travelling from Ireland. Seriously cuts down on expense and hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Great news that Spain and by extension the Canary Islands is now accepting Antigen tests for people travelling from Ireland. Seriously cuts down on expense and hassle.

Yeah pity about the gobshîtes here insisting on the PCR for the return, but it’s something at least.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

thank you for that unhelpful speculative answer

thank you for that answer that addressed what I asked.

In the interest of completeness I checked and I see Leo has rolled back his talk of reopening the CTA "very soon". So it may not be a "free for all", you may well still need a PCR to come in via dublin post 19/01 - TBD.

There are however currently no restrictions on travel today between uk and belfast. No pcr needed via Belfast, I expect many uk tourists will therefore arrive that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Looks like I’ll be going via Belfast. I’ll get the train which will be getting me into Belfast for 17.06 then my flight departs city airport at 19.55

City airport looks to be about 10 mins by taxi?

What’s city airport like, I’ll have 2 small kids in tow? Should I grab food in Belfast before heading to the airport?

It’s very small with nothing open landside. Airside the food option at that time is basically the WHSmith meal deal, sandwich, drink and crisps with choice based on whatever’s left. That’s one of the last flights of the day it was last Wednesday anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

I was reading up on the situation with the UK travel restrictions. It looks like the UK equivalent of NPHET approved adding Malta (which had zero Covid cases yesterday) and others to the UK Green List and keeping Portugal on it, but they got overruled by Brexit-backing ministers like Patel and Gove who want to close borders and get everyone to holiday in the UK - madness!

https://twitter.com/EvilDoctorK/status/1402247190915997697

Wallander wrote: »
    I was reading up on the situation with the UK travel restrictions. It looks like the UK equivalent of NPHET approved adding Malta (which had zero Covid cases yesterday) and others to the UK Green List and keeping Portugal on it, but they got overruled by Brexit-backing ministers like Patel and Gove who want to close borders and get everyone to holiday in the UK - madness!

https://twitter.com/EvilDoctorK/status/1402247190915997697

Yip, political silly beggars, nothing more.

The portugal move seemed design to deliberately cause chaos and frighten other travellers out of going abroad. Absolutely no justifying it given their vaccination stats in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bellmeister

The below is far from correct. UK infection rates are still significantly lower than Ireland's, the India variant is already on the island of Ireland, the vaccines have been proven to be highly effective against this variant, the concern is about new variants such as the 'Nepal' one and the UK has some of the tightest travel controls in Europe currently and is therefore a much lower risk than Spain etc.

In the interest of completeness I checked and I see Leo has rolled back his talk of reopening the CTA "very soon". So it may not be a "free for all", you may well still need a PCR to come in via dublin post 19/01 - TBD.

There are however currently no restrictions on travel today between uk and belfast. No pcr needed via Belfast, I expect many uk tourists will therefore arrive that way.

clearest statement I could find was here:

If I am travelling to the UK or the US
    The approach to travel outside the EU/EEA will also apply to travel to and from Great Britain and the US.

can't post URL's as a new users, but that's from the citizen info site in the digital Covid cert section.

so basically, if the UK is on the naughty list from 19th July, it's mandatory hotel quarantine, which is hilarious as you don't have to do that now...

If they are on the good list, they will be treated like an EU country..

I've no problem even going back now, it's a family member who's blocking a trip back until the government say it's good to come back from the UK.

clearest statement I could find was here:

can't post URL's as a new users, but that's from the citizen info site in the digital Covid cert section.

so basically, if the UK is on the naughty list from 19th July, it's mandatory hotel quarantine, which is hilarious as you don't have to do that now...

If they are on the good list, they will be treated like an EU country..

I've no problem even going back now, it's a family member who's blocking a trip back until the government say it's good to come back from the UK.

No not necessarily, see below chart

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1398321982278619136?s=20

Tests booked for my Aug trip with gosafe €116 for 4 Antigen tests.

So once the emergency break is not in use, vaccinated travellers from the US and UK can travel here with no PCR and no quarantine post 19/01?

If I come back with a antigen test result to Dublin is the PCR done in the airport or do they send you for one and is there a charge ? Anyone shed some light in this?

So once the emergency break is not in use, vaccinated travellers from the US and UK can travel here with no PCR and no quarantine post 19/01?

Yes correct

• Advertisement

Marty Bird wrote: »
    If I come back with a antigen test result to Dublin is the PCR done in the airport or do they send you for one and is there a charge ? Anyone shed some light in this?

You need the PCR pre departure.

I wouldnt risk arriving into Dublin with no PCR. that's grounds for MHQ , assuming you even were allowed on to the flight to get here - which you most likely wouldnt be.

Advertisement