Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭rameire

Enjoy.

Currently south of Cancun in Mexico enjoying sun sea and cerveza.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Was supposed to go to a gig in London tomorrow. Ended up having to cancel it, got the hotel back but of course Aer Linguses "no change fees" is just a sham and moving flights.. well the flights themselves cost a lot more than buying them outright. Still cheaper to move them, but not as much as I'd hoped.

And all this, not because of Omicron, but because of the ridiculous requirement to have a negative PCR or LFT coming into Ireland - when case numbers are pretty much identical in both countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

What are you worried about though, the virus or an antigen test? PCR says he's clear, and everyone and their mother recognises that PCR trumps antigen.

So he's not carrying the virus or shedding anything. What's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Exactly.

Once my PCR is clear or I get my recovery cert (whatever comes first), I am flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 chocolock

Has anyone here travelled to Poland since December 15th?

Did you need to test before you went (if fully vaccinated)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

It's a shame that so many people don't really understand the tests and what it all means.

Anyone who does understand, knows that a +ve antigen trumps a -ve PCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Is there any indication of them scrapping the pre arrival testing?

The reasoning for it are now in the past

We have one if not the highest covid rate in Europe and likely most Omicron per capita

All it is doing Is annoying people and providing no benefit to the health situation

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

Probably will be dropped in June

• Registered Users Posts: 14 snowflame

I fly back to Dublin from Lisbon on January 1st but there are no covid tests available until at least January 3rd. The airport website says that they have testing facilities there. They say it’s advisable to book but the booking app doesn’t include the airport as an option. Has anyone got a test in Lisbon airport recently without a booking? Thanks so much

• Advertisement

• Flew into Dublin from Tenerife last night. Was staying 15 minutes from airport by taxi and got Antigen test €29 on Christmas Eve. Quite a lot of little hoops to jump through going through Tenerife airport at check-in and saw several people being denied boarding as not everything was fulfilled, I think they hadn’t gone the Antigen test as they appeared stunned but then accepting when turned back. I had booked my little holiday through an online travel agent and they made sure to warn me of changed requirements ahead of travel outwards. I can see though, that people could easily have missed hearing all the requirements:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It’s all about giving the impression that the government are doing something. Nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Indeed. Unnecessarily worrying citizens and increasing stress. Might be more effective to demand a Covid test after going to the sales or visiting family.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

yeah but they will do random tests on entry and temperture checks etc

i would beg to differ - most people regardless of if they can wfh or whatever - have better things to do with their time then spend an extra 10 days in a country that they went to visit on a holiday and have obligations at home. its a nightmare for many people if they get stuck - not an adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

the antigen tests are less sensitive and will show that you are infectious - the pcr tests show genetic material and that you have been exposed which is why months after exposure you could still be testing positive on pcr but negative on the antigen. sure the pcr is the gold standard but with omnicron etc its not practical and the antigen is the way to go. governments are seeing this and this is why they are requiring PCR or Antigen.

some will, some won’t. Certainly wouldn’t stop me from travelling, and plenty others on this thread. I’m geared up to have to stay longer in Tbilisi if necessary in the new year

that risk is not one that would stop my partner and I from travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm wondering this myself as i have a trip planned to Germany in January. Not going to risk it if I need a test to get back into Ireland, positive test and getting stranded there would be a nightmare.

I think we need to understand what conditions need to be met to know when the pre arrival testing will be scrapped, like is it case numbers, hospital numbers, vaccinated numbers etc??

Shambles, absolute shambles now you need 3 vaccine doses AND a PCR to enter Austria....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Is that Brits only? I thought EU citizens could avoid the PCR by having proof of a booster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Bit worried that my preflight PCR will still say positive, I’ve one booked a few days before I travel to see.

If it is, I’ll have to rely on the recovery cert, which will be 14 days on the day I travel. My stress levels are elevating a tad…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

It’s impossible to prove the booster until the EU travel cert is updated, so until then a PCR will be required for entry to Austria.

It’s a balls as I will get my booster tomorrow and plan to travel to Vienna early next month, but I’ll have no proof to show them of my booster status.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

My Wife and I currently both positive at the moment, nothing worse than a head cold so both of us are completely fine thankfully bar not having a 'normal' Christmas.

We had planned to take a trip to a European country in Jan as we both have annual leave days to take by the end of that month, nowhere chosen at the moment but slightly concerned for taking antigen/PCR to arrive back into the country if these requirements are still in place.

My question is if the virus is still in our systems will this show up on the tests or alternatives? Anyone had any experience with this?

Wife unable to WFH if she was abroad so getting stuck there isn't a possibility. Spending annual leave in Ireland also not an option as don't fancy getting ripped off plus hospitality restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Travelling back to Ireland tomorrow, do I need a paper copy of my antigen test results or is it OK to just show the pdf I received in an email?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Once you can show it on the phone, that's fine.

Did it twice in the last month.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Can I just confirm here with fellow travelers, heading to Tenerife Thursday. We are boostered, have filled in Spanish locator forms and have our QR codes. Is that still all that’s needed for entering, just afraid I’ve missed an update anywhere. Traveling with smallies so don’t need any hassle at airports, thanks a mil.

As of now Spain don't need tests on entry if vaccinated

And children under 12 are exempt from tests or vaccine certs - but need to be included on PLF

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Thanks Canon, yeah have theirs done, had been checking open EU but just nervous how things changing so fast. Really appreciate reply, thank you. Roll on some sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

have covid now will be recovered in a few days. When I get the cert to prove I had covid do I still need a negative test to get back into Ireland as I need to travel in jan or will showing the cert be enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I’m just wondering about the express PCR test offered by Randox at Dublin airport. I’ve noticed the other tests for antigen and next day pcr offer the “EU covid cert” but the express one says “EU Covid cert not available” and it’s kind of confusing me. Does that mean they won’t give you a valid cert for travel?

Also notice their earliest slots for the express PCR is only available from 7am. Would it be far too risky to book a slot for that time with a 9am flight?

Thanks in advance for any help, trying to figure out the testing is frying my brain.

Advertisement