Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Hi @pc7, hope you are enjoying your trip in the Canaries.

What are restrictions currently like where you are? We are looking to go away this month (anywhere) and have the Canaries in mind. My better half and I had covid over Christmas so didn't have much of a nice and sure we're invincible now. 😂

Looking to treat ourselves as we both have annual leave to take by the end of Jan and staying in Ireland at the moment under current restrictions just isn't plausible.

Am I right in saying no test needed to enter, anything else to bare in mind?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Hiya it’s great, weather is brill atm in Tenerife.

we have to wear masks in indoor areas of hotels/restaurants etc. but we’ve been sitting outside in restaurants in the evenings and it’s been perfect. Reception advised us to wear masks outside as numbers in parts of Tenerife rising (think up north of island where bigger city is). Most people aren’t we pop them on in busier areqs. Hotel has great set up with pool you book your slots, beds are cleaned and spaced out, feels very nice.

lots of bars with music and that with outside set up, it’s not too busy (we were here same week two years ago and it was much busier). We have the smallies with us so aren’t going into bars etc so can’t advise on that.

airport in Dublin was jammed when we arrived, but that was all charter flights, we did Ryanair bag drop and fast track and flew through.

we have antigens booked with hotel for €35 for traveling home, lots of chemists doing them too.

So good for the head being away from the doom and gloom to be honest. Currently chilling with a beer in 28 degrees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Excellent, sounds great. Think we will do similar, as you say good for the mind.

Thanks and enjoy your break!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

If you are a bit nervous check out going with likes of Tui as they’ll deal with any issues/changes etc if needed. We used n95 masks for airport/plane too.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cudsy1

Hi Irish Aris, thanks and happy new year to you as well! Lovely pleasantness.

Some friends who flew out of greece yesterday (to UK and Germany) warned me about something (can't find anything about it online)

Seems easiest to copy n paste (non native speakers , both btw!)

Friend 1= 'Regarding the covid rapid test, you could download the negative result from the site that produces the Greek PLF.

Albeit, you should provide to the covid test center (e..g pharmacy) your Greek PLF number :)

Friend 2=So what I understood is that to get results in greece you have to go to some government website and put your nat insur nr but as (friend 1) didn’t have that nor any tourists so apparently wirh greek plf you can have them uploaded there directly

You have to go by what irish authorities say but to get reault of antigen result you upload it on their plf

Just to get a result it goes on plf'

Irish Aris, did you upload yours PCR result onto greek plf? Or anything similar?

Edit: found 1 reference, Australian government travel page I think

'Passengers departing Greece must also now complete the PLF before check-in.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Is it even possible to get PCR tests for travel at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Yes, there are plenty of private companies offering them at their facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Flying to Canaries on Thur, looks like a good time to go with the weather turning, but this risk / high risk country thing is a hassle. I'm hoping its static until we leave and return next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I highly doubt an EU country will go on the High Risk list. We have never required a test to go to Spain with the Green Cert and we had the highest case numbers in the EU all summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

No actually I'm not. And no idea why you're bringing Leo into it. I just hate people calamitising unnecessarily. This time last year you had people saying travel was over, finished. By late summer planes were jam packed again,fares were rising and we all enjoyed the relative ease of travel with our certs. I'm hopeful all that will be back in a few months but you're saying we'll be testing "for good." Now if that is what looks very likely and you have a reliable source fair enough but otherwise you're calamitising and don't you think we've all had enough of that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Hi again Cudsy.

My sister told me that there is an option like that. Not sure if it's the PLF site - my sister mentioned the Greek equivalent of revenue.ie. To do it this way you indeed need your Greek "PPS" number - with it you can go to a pharmacy for a rapid antigen and then login and get a copy of the results. I didn't do it this way (ended up with a pcr) as I wasn't 100% sure of what type of travel certificate you get and didn't want to risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Cautious potential traveller here... cannot find clear advice on this on gov.ie...

If you were to catch covid on holiday and failed the pcr/antigen test requirement, what's the quarantine period while you're abroad and what test would you need to come back?

If I took a week in the sun could it turn into 3 weeks if unlucky enough to catch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I got my recovery cert from the HSE, was super quick and took less than a day.

On it however, it says it is not a travel document, do you use the recovery cert to apply for another form? I’ve to fly to Canada and it says that proof of a positive test at least 14 days after travel is ok…

Has anyone any experience with travel with a recovery cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cudsy1

Brilliant, thanks very much, last question! Did you fly to Ireland successfully with your non greek-plf linked PCR test? I assume it contained QR code, passport number, name as on passport etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

Came back yesterday.

Only thing required at customs was passport.

No covid pass, antigen etc asked for at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

But was probably all checked before you got on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

No. Nothing at all.

Only documents checked anywhere was boarding pass and passport. Just as pre covid.

They were far stricter at the ferry terminal last summer with no pcr/ antigen requirements compared to the airport yesterday imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I think there is some ambiguity here. Is it Irish rules or the rules of the country you are in? Plus things are in flux with Omicron with reductions in isolation. This is a very different disease to that of February 2020.

Personally (double vaccinated plus booster), I would bring Antigen tests with me to take ahead of the official test. If any are positive, I would change my flight (or be prepared to book a new one), extend my accommodation or move somewhere more suitable, and self isolate until I had a negative antigen - at which stage I would do the fit to fly one. Of course if symptoms are bad or remain, that is a different thing.

There is an open question on how relevant these tests are with the nature of the disease now but I don’t expect they will change the requirements any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

It’s not 100% clear. If I were to test positive I would book into a hotel and do an antigen test every morning until I’m negative then fly home. Might get a negative within a couple of days might take a week. Really depends when you got it. I know many who got it over Christmas had no symptoms so didn’t know when they got it or when to start their 10 day isolation from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I would speak with the airline. My understanding is that you still have to get the relevant test. And if it comes back positive then you show the positive result and the recovery cert which shows that you have recovered recently from Covid. I don’t think recently having Covid excuses the need for a test.

Will give them a call.

What just dawned on me when the recovery cert says it is not a travel document, that just means you can not travel on this like you would a passport.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Jesus, trying to use Verifly is a real pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

You don't actually need to use it. It's an awful app

It won't accept my recovery cert at all, it is a real nightmare. Probably an airport early job for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Should we be writing to our TDs about this crap? I don't see the point to be honest, lets pick up a COVID pos person to stop them adding to the tens of thousands already here, plenty of whom are just getting on with life?

Places can't cope with testing. So we're allowed travel but you must have this burden of trying to find a test and get the paperwork in order.

What's the story from 1st Feb? Do all countries have to stop this lark and fall into EU policy once again?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Does anyone know if you currently need an antigen/PCR test for entry to Hungary?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

i have travelled abroad 5 times since July absolutely enjoyed every one of the trips Spain, Canaries, Greece. I or my wife haven’t got Covid. Loads of the curtain twitchers anti travel friends of mine tutting at us for travelling have got Covid whilst staying safe in Ireland. It’s absolutely hillarious really. Anybody thinking of travel go you won’t regret it. Hopefully this bs of having a negative test disappears soon it’s a pure money racket and is in place from what I can see for the government to be seeing to be doing something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Totally agree with you.

I have managed to get away twice myself in the latter half of last year and it was a much needed tonic! That was before the awful testing requirement came into being of course. I think I’m just going to risk it though and get the antigen test out of the way as early as possible on my next trip so I can hopefully enjoy the rest of my break with peace of mind.

Advertisement