Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 nonethepfizer

Yes correct

thanks, here's hoping the government don't throw them on the bad list

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The below is far from correct. UK infection rates are still significantly lower than Ireland's, the India variant is already on the island of Ireland, the vaccines have been proven to be highly effective against this variant, the concern is about new variants such as the 'Nepal' one and the UK has some of the tightest travel controls in Europe currently and is therefore a much lower risk than Spain etc.
    Irelands 7 day incidence rate, which is way better for tracking the current situation here and now than the 14 day rate, is 57.4 and stagnant

The Uk is 51.8 and is rising exponentially, with an increase of 75% in England over the past week.

Saying the UK has significantly lower rates is incorrect, and give it a couple of days and they'll not only not be not "significantly lower" , theyll be actually higher.

The reason for the spread is the same as india back last month, its not the variant causing the problem but simply that any version of Corona will spread like wildfire in the unvaccinated non-immune population, especially in areas of deprevation with close living quarters/ no space to isolate sick people/ people on low skilled jobs not able to work from home / less vaccinated people .

Now... will Tony look at the exponential rise and recommend the government to take a cautious approach, or will he decide to open travel in a free and open way after ignoring the exponsntial rise in numbers after examining the socio-economic background of the hotspots and come to the conclusion that someone from a high rise in Glasgow or Blackburn is not representative of the UK as a whole ?

I dont see it even being a questionable outcome. Tony will see the exponential rise, look across a room of hospital managers (also known as NPHET) and take the cautious approach. The government can go against the advice but will they ?

the funny thing is, all he's doing by doing that is driving people via the NI route... which skews the figures then in the long run

Noel Philips video of his flight in J on EI Ord Dub a couple of months ago, giving you an idea what's going on in Aer lingus transatlantic at the moment
    He is a bit excited :D it is a lovely cabin though, I've flown it a few times, paying with Avios
    Only 3 or 4 passengers :eek:

https://youtu.be/92XSkTXumnk

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bellmeister

The Uk is surge testing in areas of concern, seeking out new cases rather than doing reactive testing like Ireland, which is inflating the size of the surge. If you look at the statistical sample testing, there is a small increase but not the doubling that it looks like.

You can interpret statistics however you choose and I do agree Ireland will interpret the Uk statistics politically rather than factually and find a reason not to open up. It will be Ireland's loss, not the Uk's.
    Irelands 7 day incidence rate, which is way better for tracking the current situation here and now than the 14 day rate, is 57.4 and stagnant

The Uk is 51.8 and is rising exponentially, with an increase of 75% in England over the past week.

Saying the UK has significantly lower rates is incorrect, and give it a couple of days and they'll not only not be not "significantly lower" , theyll be actually higher.

The reason for the spread is the same as india back last month, its not the variant causing the problem but simply that any version of Corona will spread like wildfire in the unvaccinated non-immune population, especially in areas of deprevation with close living quarters/ no space to isolate sick people/ people on low skilled jobs not able to work from home / less vaccinated people .

Now... will Tony look at the exponential rise and recommend the government to take a cautious approach, or will he decide to open travel in a free and open way after ignoring the exponsntial rise in numbers after examining the socio-economic background of the hotspots and come to the conclusion that someone from a high rise in Glasgow or Blackburn is not representative of the UK as a whole ?

I dont see it even being a questionable outcome. Tony will see the exponential rise, look across a room of hospital managers (also known as NPHET) and take the cautious approach. The government can go against the advice but will they ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

An instagrammer flew Dublin to Ibiza this morning and wasn't stopped or asked anything at the airport, perhaps the guards have given up?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

thanks, here's hoping the government don't throw them on the bad list

I believe that decision is now at an EU level

I believe that decision is now at an EU level

interesting.... doesn't look good then with restrictions into France and Germany from the UK at the moment also.

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Tests booked for my Aug trip with gosafe €116 for 4 Antigen tests.

Why are you booking so far in advance? A lot could change between now and then. The price of the test could drop, or we could be on a green list by then with no test required.

interesting.... doesn't look good then with restrictions into France and Germany from the UK at the moment also.

Nothing much would change UK to Dublin versus now,you'd still need a pcr or be fully vaccinated or be recovered
    Fire breaks are allowed for but sure if the UK which is looking like it's going to be over 80% fully vaccinated within the next 2 months is in firebreak territory at that stage,something really really bad will want to have happened along the lines of break through vaccinated infections
    It wouldn't be on my worry radar once countries with very low vaccination rates are tightly monitored because its those that will develop the more dangerous vaccine busting variants due to the out of control numbers infected becoming mutant hopping hosts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Hub D15

Variants as a reason to close down...

We are already about to be up to Epsilon or number 5 (for Nepal). That's a new variant roughly every 3 months.

The covid vaccine rollout is a year and a half and counting. The flu vaccine is usually only able to be updated once a year.

If variant creation is faster than vaccine production then stalling reopening to await vaccine catch up, will never work.

So using a new variant as a reason to close down makes no sense.

Unless someone has massively sped up everything to do with vaccines, then there are only 2 logical options... Either reopen despite the existence of variants, or never reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Hub D15 wrote: »

We are already about to be up to Epsilon or number 5 (for Nepal). That's a new variant roughly every 3 months.

The covid vaccine rollout is a year and a half and counting. The flu vaccine is usually only able to be updated once a year.

If variant creation is faster than vaccine production then stalling reopening to await vaccine catch up, will never work.

Unless someone has massively sped up everything to do with vaccines, then there are only 2 logical options... Either reopen despite the existence of variants, or never reopen.

Many on here suffering Stockholm syndrome and never want us to reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

I start to wonder is this just a common pattern for all flu strains and media just loving the drama of new <name a country> variant. And before anyone starts ranting off I 1st hand know the impact Covid has had on people. And if you want to have a go don’t bother there has been enough stress in the world the last while and people need a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Dobbytoes wrote: »
    Why are you booking so far in advance? A lot could change between now and then. The price of the test could drop, or we could be on a green list by then with no test required.

Yeah I thought of that but I was thinking if there was no slots available the longer I left it, suppose it’s a bit of a gamble.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

siochain wrote: »
    I start to wonder is this just a common pattern for all flu strains and media just loving the drama of new <name a country> variant. And before anyone starts ranting off I 1st hand know the impact Covid has had on people. And if you want to have a go don’t bother there has been enough stress in the world the last while and people need a break.
    Covid is not a flu,its obviously much more dangerous
    But variants aren't anything to worry about in a vaccinated society tha monitors travel from non vaccinated societies,acts quickly,tracks,traces and isolates
    More and more we will be talking outside the EU and UK for the problem and catching it in time
    If you pardon the pun,the direction of travel in the EU is EU and UK residents will be flying, the vast majority flying vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Pps isn't on mine. Nothing really except the batch number and date

You're right, I just took another look at mine, no PPS on the card. I did have to show my PPS card at the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭brickster69

Have you ever considered that if a country tests ten times more per population there could be a good chance that they will find a lot more cases per population ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

Anyone been through Dublin port recently? Wondering if the guards are less bothered with hanging around there than the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RedPaddyX

Hub D15 wrote: »

Thank you. It’s this forward thinking logic that has been infuriatingly absent from all Covid discussion by politicians. We need honesty not “they are too stupid to tell them the real truth” attitude. Or more worrying is they haven’t actually bothered to properly follow the logical conclusion themselves.

It’s the exact same reason “3 weeks to stop the curve” talk last year was stupid and annoying. They should have been honest and said “we will need about 1.5 years of on/off lockdowns until vaccines are fully developed and rolled out”

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

We Did those tests for a lot of clients going back to Italy and German (which both accept them).
    General rule was to book the test for 3 hours before the flight and then head to check in. Results are generally in your inbox by the time you get to check in.

RocDoc tell me that results have to be on a print out. I've just had it confirmed that there are printing facilities available at Cork airport. But you would imagine that an electronic version would be acceptable. Have any of your clients had any difficulty getting them printed out or do you know if they were perhaps allowed use the electronic version? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

beaz2018 wrote: »
    Anyone been through Dublin port recently? Wondering if the guards are less bothered with hanging around there than the airport?

Someone posted here a few weeks back that they were questioned by AGS at the ferry port as a foot passenger. Haven't heard anything more recent though.

Larne to Cairnryan would be a hassle free option though it's a long drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Covid still has some twists and turns left in it, it has been an absolute stubborn c*nt of a virus

I still think Spain will grow it's own variant by September via massive tourism

But if the vaccines cover them all then who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,182 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Flew into Kigali Rwanda yesterday. Our PCR tests would allow us stay for 10 days as long as we stayed in the hotel, we had to do another test PCR in the airport to be allowed leave the hotel. They had a laboratory in the airport terminal which turned around the tests in 6 hours for $60.

They even had a dog area doing COVID tests. Extremely well setup operation, now If only Ireland could learn from these 3rd world countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Looks like I’ll be going via Belfast. I’ll get the train which will be getting me into Belfast for 17.06 then my flight departs city airport at 19.55

City airport looks to be about 10 mins by taxi?

What’s city airport like, I’ll have 2 small kids in tow? Should I grab food in Belfast before heading to the airport?

Are the wee ones vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Are the wee ones vaccinated?

No. wife is I’ll hopefully have one shot

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

thank you for that unhelpful speculative answer

thank you for that answer that addressed what I asked.

The one you thanked was the incorrect one.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Covid still has some twists and turns left in it, it has been an absolute stubborn c*nt of a virus

I still think Spain will grow it's own variant by September via massive tourism

But if the vaccines cover them all then who cares?

They already had their own variant I believe.

M_Murphy57 wrote: »

They are under pressure now I think. Behind pretty much all of the eu in many areas of travel and being squeezed politically from the public and other ministers.

Antigen would be a great step forward but I'm hoping we cop on and stop needing tests for fully vaccinated. (Because I'm vaccinated so completely selfish on my part)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

M_Murphy57 wrote: »

I still think they'll say no to antigen, and insist on PCRs for all incoming travellers, regardless of the Green Cert or vaccinations. Boy would I be happy to be wrong.

Advertisement