Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Spain already had their own variant I believe.

I think you're right actually

Last Summer wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

I thought the whole thing of the DCC was that if vaccinated then you don't need a test of any sort or enter or avoid self isolation? Returning from France/Spain/Greece would be the same as returning from a weekend in Killarney, Lahinch or Clifden?

Agreed though antigen should be sufficient for us if that is what the EU deem appropriate, besides, within the next few weeks we'll likely reach herd immunity through vaccination anyways so there'll be little reason for much of this come the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

For countries that only require an antigen and not a PCR test, has anyone had any hassle from airlines for not having a PCR test? For example, airline staff wrongly assuming PCR test is needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I still think they'll say no to antigen, and insist on PCRs for all incoming travellers, regardless of the Green Cert or vaccinations. Boy would I be happy to be wrong.

They can hardly do that. I'm sure the EU will have a massive problem with them doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

I still think they'll say no to antigen, and insist on PCRs for all incoming travellers, regardless of the Green Cert or vaccinations. Boy would I be happy to be wrong.

Not a chance in hell tbh. They are under serious pressure now as the rest of Europe opens up..

• Advertisement

Two lads i know from Kildare left for Cherbourg from Rosslare on their motorbikes for a trip around Europe last Saturday and encountered no Gardai whatsoever at the port.

Might be different at Dublin port possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

smurfjed wrote: »
    Flew into Kigali Rwanda yesterday. Our PCR tests would allow us stay for 10 days as long as we stayed in the hotel, we had to do another test PCR in the airport to be allowed leave the hotel. They had a laboratory in the airport terminal which turned around the tests in 6 hours for $60.

They even had a dog area doing COVID tests. Extremely well setup operation, now If only Ireland could learn from these 3rd world countries.

In fairness it’s a much more important issue for Rwanda. They have had limited exposure thus far so limited natural immunity and an outbreak would likely place sever challenge on healthcare. In their place, I’d lock you up for 10 days and allow you no interaction with others!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

I the context of European vaccination rates we are 4th from bottom with only Croatia, Bulgaria, Latvia and Romania below us. So that means 22 EU nations above us. Graph here Now under the vaccination scheme I thought we all got the same amount of each vaccine on a pro rata basis. If this is the case then why are we at the bottom. From passport office closures ,2K fines , antigen tests , delay of DCC until limit of European mandated time and now sluggish rollout of the vaccine. (Despite what RTE would have us believe ). There is a underlying current of zero covid and anti travel bias. Hungary has double our vaccination rate and had a full stadium tonight for the football. If Paddy is good for the summer we might get a few thousand at Croker.....They don't want anyone in ...or anyone out of this country its infuriating!

PS Tony...I'm still going to Spain before the 19th

a clanger wrote: »
    I the context of European vaccination rates we are 4th from bottom with only Croatia, Bulgaria, Latvia and Romania below us. So that means 22 EU nations above us. Graph here Now under the vaccination scheme I thought we all got the same amount of each vaccine on a pro rata basis. If this is the case then why are we at the bottom. From passport office closures ,2K fines , antigen tests , delay of DCC until limit of European mandated time and now sluggish rollout of the vaccine. (Despite what RTE would have us believe ). There is a underlying current of zero covid and anti travel bias. Hungary has double our vaccination rate and had a full stadium tonight for the football. If Paddy is good for the summer we might get a few thousand at Croker.....They don't want anyone in ...or anyone out of this country its infuriating!

It will depend on the stars. We score highly as a %age of adults but poorly as a %age of population due to out disproportionately youthful population. Hungary broke away fromEU and bought Sputnik V from Russia. Query whether our date is also substantially out of date via a vis GP vaccinations. I expect we are midpack when all the data is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

TefalBrain wrote: »
    No

?? At the moment you need a PCR when arriving regardless of vaccination status

• Advertisement

The government here will ensure fully vaccinated means 2 weeks after the second jab, and for many that will be well past summer hence no one goes away and everyone spends in Ireland.

7 days for Pfizer http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2021/si/173/made/en/print

I'm pretty sure you won't get a green cert for vaccination issued by Ireland. You need to be vaccinated by the HSE to get one.

You won't register yourself it'll be based on the HSE vaccine records & they haven't vaccinated you

That doesn't accord with the Statutory Instrument, it provides for other countries vaccinations and their agents. I recently re-entered here and used a certificate from the EU Commission!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

mmclo wrote: »
    That doesn't accord with the Statutory Instrument, it provides for other countries vaccinations and their agents. I recently re-entered here and used a certificate from the EU Commission!

That's separate.

Poster was discussing getting a green cert issued by the HSE when vaccinated abroad, which they won't be able to do. The state will issue green certs to people vaccinated by the HSE, where your vaccinated is responsible for issuing your green cert.

You can enter the state with a cert from anywhere once you've got one of the vaccines approved by the ema.

josip wrote: »
    Some countries list DOB as a piece of information that they expect to see on vaccine certs.
    That's not on our little HSE card.

PCR's all need passport number too

That's separate.

Poster was discussing getting a green cert issued by the HSE when vaccinated abroad, which they won't be able to do. The state will issue green certs to people vaccinated by the HSE, where your vaccinated is responsible for issuing your green cert.

You can enter the state with a cert from anywhere once you've got one of the vaccines approved by the ema.

I know but hard to imagine they would set it up that you can now enter with a vaccine from another country but then not allow you do the same or travel under the DCC which is designed to remove these barriers. There will be people here vaccinated in other countries or by other agencies but living here now so there will be a problem if this is not provided for, a lot of people would be stranded or have to go to another country to get the DCC, it would prima facia be a breach of EU law

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

It's been pretty widely publicised that Ireland have administered over 3 million vaccines, so either our population has grown to over 6 million, or that data is very out of date due to the cyber attack.
    We are well over 60% at this stage which puts us well in the mix.

I know but hard to imagine they would set it up that you can now enter with a vaccine from another country but then not allow you do the same or travel under the DCC which is designed to remove these barriers. There will be people here vaccinated in other countries or by other agencies but living here now so there will be a problem if this is not provided for, a lot of people would be stranded or have to go to another country to get the DCC, it would prima facia be a breach of EU law

Please let us know which law it would breach. The poster who originated this was likely vaccinated in a Gulf state. How would an Irish agency know that they are genuine. Has he followed the necessary legalisation/apostille process to prove the documents. Even after this, what process will exist here to take such documents and load them into an Irish system? Was the certification process overseas sufficiently robust as to capture the identification data for the vaccinee? It would be easier to be vaccinated again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is anyone planning to transit through France and via UK landbridge in the next 4 weeks?
    Are transitters exempt from self quarantining requirements?

Other reviews have us even with most other nations.

Hungary fyi, also uses Sputnik and the Chinese vaccine.

SJFly wrote: »
    It's been pretty widely publicised that Ireland have administered over 3 million vaccines, so either our population has grown to over 6 million, or that data is very out of date due to the cyber attack.
    We are well over 60% at this stage which puts us well in the mix.

515k have recieved 2 doses and approx 2 million more have recieved their first dose.

10% fully vaccinated with another 40% partially. That leaves us about 50% having recieved a jab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,182 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Marcusm wrote: »
    In fairness it’s a much more important issue for Rwanda. They have had limited exposure thus far so limited natural immunity and an outbreak would likely place sever challenge on healthcare. In their place, I’d lock you up for 10 days and allow you no interaction with others!

Good point, rather glad that they didn’t lock us up :) there are a lot of foreigners in this hotel so the country appears to have no issue with people entering. Everybody is wearing masks and temperature checks in all the buildings with lots of sanitiser available.

My next destination gave us a hard time yesterday when we applied online. They wanted our yellow fever vaccination certificates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

PCR's all need passport number too

when i got my vaccine they asked if the name on the card matches the name on my passport exactly. agree there should be more info on the card but maybe just maybe it will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭embraer170

Not all countries require a passport number on the PCR/antigen test.

In terms of the vaccine cards, the way forwarded suggested by one EU embassy in Dublin is to ask for the vaccine card info to be transcribed into a WHO yellow vaccination booklet (a GP should be able to do this). They did not have any feedback on travelling within Europe with the HSE vaccine card (but did not say it was not possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

France have now also began allowing EU citizens into the country under the Green Cert from today. Accepting an antigen test too for entry by the way. While here in Ireland we are likely to still have a €2,000 fine in place until the 19th July for 'non essential' travel. I hope people finally start to realise how much out of sync with the rest of the EU on travel we are, it's embarrassing and unfair particularly to our large number of EU residents living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

515k have recieved 2 doses and approx 2 million more have recieved their first dose.

10% fully vaccinated with another 40% partially. That leaves us about 50% having recieved a jab.

Sure, but you have to compare like with like. The linked tables showed numbers of vaccines administered, not % of people vaccinated. We don't have detailed figures anymore, but if the estimates are accurate, we are doing as well as most other European countries working with the same supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Interesting to see in the Times of London that 100,000 British tourists were tested in Portugal in recent days and six returned positive results:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E3Y-sHmX0AIypmN?format=jpg&name=large

While this is just one sample (albeit a large one), it would be many, many times less (several hundred times less) than the positivity rate being reported at the testing centres for asymptomatic people in parts of Dublin with higher infection rates. There are a number of reasons why tourists would have such relatively low infection rates i.e. there would be less from the poorer industrial areas that are seeing high infection rates, many people are waiting for vaccinations before travelling this summer and testing requirements do their job in filtering out/deterring many of those who may be carrying the virus, spending most of the time outdoors while on holiday.

Klonker wrote: »
    France have now also began allowing EU citizens into the country under the Green Cert from today. Accepting an antigen test too for entry by the way. While here in Ireland we are likely to still have a €2,000 fine in place until the 19th July for 'non essential' travel. I hope people finally start to realise how much out of sync with the rest of the EU on travel we are, it's embarrassing and unfair particularly to our large number of EU residents living here.

It's an absolute embarrassment now tbh. The vaccine has this virus beat, the vulnerable are protected, other European nations are open and doing business and getting back to normality.

As an example last night there was a grand total of zero people in ICU in Northern Ireland with the virus, zero.

This is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

folks, can someone help me out with a few questions, all of the websites are so confusing ,even the official Spanish one.

travelling to Spain with wife and 2 kids (4 and 7) on 3rd of July from Belfast.

hold an ROI passport.
    wife vaccinated, but only receives her second dose on 26th of June (7 days before flying).

as we are ROI residents, i presume we need to provide a negative test on departure from Belfast, but even the Spanish official site says "negative covid 19 test". so is an antigen test acceptable?!

do we need 3 tests, one for me, the wife(one site says its 14 days from second shot) and one for the 7 year old?

is an antigen acceptable or has to be PCR?

we dont mind paying whatever, we just want to make sure we have the right tests!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Marcusm wrote: »
    Please let us know which law it would breach. The poster who originated this was likely vaccinated in a Gulf state. How would an Irish agency know that they are genuine. ....... It would be easier to be vaccinated again.

It wasn't a "Gulf state" How did you surmise that?

Its an EU approved vaccine but received in the USA. CDC vaccine card to prove it as well. (Which is just as flimsy as the HSE card)
    The vaccination card was provided to my GP so that their patient records were up to date.

The query relates to whether or not the HSE system would require a HSE vaccination record or would they issue an Irish citizen an DGC for a non-HSE vaccination.

And getting another vaccine isn't that simple. As mixing J&J and Pfizer hasn't been done yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

TefalBrain wrote: »
    It's an absolute embarrassment now tbh. The vaccine has this virus beat, the vulnerable are protected, other European nations are open and doing business and getting back to normality.

As an example last night there was a grand total of zero people in ICU in Northern Ireland with the virus, zero.

This is over.
    It's not over. Just because it's being overcome in Europe and the USA doesn't mean its over.

Large swaths of Africa and Asia are still vulnerable. Ireland has the highest uptake of vaccines in the EU.
    EG. Vaccine uptake is low in Australia and Hong Kong even though they locked down hard very early on and kept cases very low.

Add to that we will see most people going back to old habits just in time for our winter flu season.

Advertisement