Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

TefalBrain wrote: »
    It's an absolute embarrassment now tbh. The vaccine has this virus beat, the vulnerable are protected, other European nations are open and doing business and getting back to normality.

As an example last night there was a grand total of zero people in ICU in Northern Ireland with the virus, zero.

This is over.

Zero new cases in Malta yesterday, literal zero. Empty test centres every day.

Herd immunity of 70% reached a month ago.

But if I fly back to Ireland, it's quarantine for me (vaccinated and all). :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Tenger wrote: »
    It's not over. Just because it's being overcome in Europe and the USA doesn't mean its over.

Large swaths of Africa and Asia are still vulnerable. Ireland has the highest uptake of vaccines in the EU.
    EG. Vaccine uptake is low in Australia and Hong Kong even though they locked down hard very early on and kept cases very low.

Add to that we will see most people going back to old habits just in time for our winter flu season.

I think the poster meant in terms of Europe and North America that its as good as over.

The rest of the EU seem happy to let travel occur now with antigen testing or vaccine with no quarentining. Apart from little old overly cautious for the sake of it Ireland who will still have a €2,000 fine in place almost 8 weeks after a number of countries have already signed up for the green cert. Whatever way you dress it up Ireland is way overboard on its travel restrictions.

Its based on NPHET advice but I think it suits the government as they're hoping it'll mean more staycations to boost our economy as they've wasted a lot more money here than was needed as we had overly long and overly harsh restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

It's not over. Just because it's being overcome in Europe and the USA doesn't mean its over.

Large swaths of Africa and Asia are still vulnerable. Ireland has the highest uptake of vaccines in the EU.
    EG. Vaccine uptake is low in Australia and Hong Kong even though they locked down hard very early on and kept cases very low.

Add to that we will see most people going back to old habits just in time for our winter flu season.

Ah Jesus are we going to be locking down for the normal flu now?

I'm talking about Ireland and in the main Europe tbh.

The vulnerable are vaccinated, soon nearly everybody who wants a vaccine will have one and when that happens we'll be giving them to the Africans and whoever else wants one.

It's time for people to stop living behind the curtains and live their lives with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Klonker wrote: »
    I think the poster meant in terms of Europe and North America that its as good as over.

The rest of the EU seem happy to let travel occur now with antigen testing or vaccine with no quarentining. Apart from little old overly cautious for the sake of it Ireland who will still have a €2,000 fine in place almost 8 weeks after a number of countries have already signed up for the green cert. Whatever way you dress it up Ireland is way overboard on its travel restrictions.

Its based on NPHET advice but I think it suits the government as they're hoping it'll mean more staycations to boost our economy as they've wasted a lot more money here than was needed as we had overly long and overly harsh restrictions.

In your opinion

Zero new cases in Malta yesterday, literal zero. Empty test centres every day.

Herd immunity of 70% reached a month ago.

But if I fly back to Ireland, it's quarantine for me (vaccinated and all). :confused:

Ridiculous. Honestly i think if we weren't in the EU this government would have us locked down in Ireland until the end of the year instead their hand has been forced and they are being lead kicking and screaming into the green cert.

Thank god for the European Union that's all i can say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Ridiculous. Honestly i think if we weren't in the EU this government would have us locked down in Ireland until the end of the year instead their hand has been forced and they are being lead kicking and screaming into the green cert.

One million percent. Feb 2022 I'd say was their ideal date to trap us at home until (that's when they wanted to keep pubs shut until)

Thank god for the EU (and our UK neighbour) forcing their hand.

Lovely rainy day here today where I am,I'm sure all the outdoor restaurants are doing great biz. Absolute embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

In your opinion

Which specific part are you saying is in my opinion? Is the parts where I said I think numerous times?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

For those with the questions on Spain, HSE vaccine cards etc; 2 people I know are travelling to Spain from Dublin airport today. They are travelling for tourism

When they reached the Gardai they told them they were fully vaccinated and were waved on. Ryanair were happy with their proof of vaccination. (They didn’t get any pcr or antigen tests)

Will advise how they got on when they arrive Spain. They don’t have any tests

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭embraer170

faceman wrote: »
    For those with the questions on Spain, HSE vaccine cards etc; 2 people I know are travelling to Spain from Dublin airport today. They are travelling for tourism

When they reached the Gardai they told them they were fully vaccinated and were waved on. Ryanair were happy with their proof of vaccination. (They didn’t get any pcr or antigen tests)

Thanks for the info. I look forward to hearing how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

But we are opening up. And you’re still outraged. About a set of circumstances which don’t and won’t exist.

• Advertisement

But we are opening up. And you’re still outraged. About a set of circumstances which don’t and won’t exist.

We have a 2000 euro fine and hotel quarantine in place. Which part of that doesn't exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

In your opinion

And quite of lot of people would completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

There's always been two aspects to dealing with the virus. The first is reducing harm to the extent that life can get back to normal. This is achieved by vaccinations and better therapeutics. The second is eliminating the virus, a goal which will take years at best and may be unachievable at worst. That is why most countries are concentrating on getting back to normal and living with the virus for the time being. Eliminating it will take years of coordinated international effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

copeyhagen wrote: »
    folks, can someone help me out with a few questions, all of the websites are so confusing ,even the official Spanish one.

travelling to Spain with wife and 2 kids (4 and 7) on 3rd of July from Belfast.

hold an ROI passport.
    wife vaccinated, but only receives her second dose on 26th of June (7 days before flying).

as we are ROI residents, i presume we need to provide a negative test on departure from Belfast, but even the Spanish official site says "negative covid 19 test". so is an antigen test acceptable?!

do we need 3 tests, one for me, the wife(one site says its 14 days from second shot) and one for the 7 year old?

is an antigen acceptable or has to be PCR?

we dont mind paying whatever, we just want to make sure we have the right tests!

Spain are accepting antigen since 7th June. I'm not sure about the regulations for children, somebody else here may be better able to help with that.

I'm now looking into some sort of travel insurance. That was recently discussed on this thread with options suggested but I can't find it through "search."

So could anybody suggest where I might get insurance. Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭eltonyio

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/republic-now-europe-s-most-disconnected-state-committee-told-1.4588528
    “Ireland is now the most disconnected country in Europe and Dublin is the most disconnected city, according to Eurocontrol,” Dr Power told the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Transport and Communications Networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Anyone have any recommendations for travel insurance?

I don't have private health care, I did do a quick google and seems to be quite a minefield of terms and conditions, rules and exceptions.

Travelling to Spain in August, 2 adults (vaccinated) and 2 kids (will be tested), all going well!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

It's these briefings that make me worry for July 19th:

Per: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/republic-now-europe-s-most-disconnected-state-committee-told-1.4588528?mode=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

"Dr Power said that V1 Medical and other companies providing Covid tests for travel had yet to hear from Government what role they will play in implementing the EU digital Covid certificate.

She said that she had spoken to several organisations, including one of the Republic’s biggest travel medicine practices and one of the larger companies providing tests at Dublin Airport, and the Government had not contacted them.

The Government has pledged to introduce the certificate, meant to restore freedom of movement in the bloc, on July 19th, as part of its plan to reopen travel"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Feria40 wrote: »
    It's these briefings that make me worry for July 19th:

Per: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/republic-now-europe-s-most-disconnected-state-committee-told-1.4588528?mode=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

"Dr Power said that V1 Medical and other companies providing Covid tests for travel had yet to hear from Government what role they will play in implementing the EU digital Covid certificate.

She said that she had spoken to several organisations, including one of the Republic’s biggest travel medicine practices and one of the larger companies providing tests at Dublin Airport, and the Government had not contacted them.

The Government has pledged to introduce the certificate, meant to restore freedom of movement in the bloc, on July 19th, as part of its plan to reopen travel"

That "on July 19th " is a concern for the cert, id have assumed we could get access to it before then, im looking at a flight on the 20th

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

dashoonage wrote: »
    That "on July 19th " is a concern for the cert, id have assumed we could get access to it before then, im looking at a flight on the 20th

Yes that's my concern too. The vaccine roll out is going well but Im morto for whoever designed and implemented the vaccine registration portal. Clearly they learned their trade a good 40 years ago.

The idea that the HSE IT could implement a sophisticated travel system that links in with the EU and involves generating QR codes just seems completely beyond their capabilities. Nevermind having it ready for instant use by 19/07

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kickmark19

Skippette wrote: »

I don't have private health care, I did do a quick google and seems to be quite a minefield of terms and conditions, rules and exceptions.

Travelling to Spain in August, 2 adults (vaccinated) and 2 kids (will be tested), all going well!

I purchased battleface recently. I believe it includes covid cover but I admittedly didn't look too much into the T&Cs as I'm young and pfizered. Prices vary on location and trip length.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Marcusm wrote: »
    Please let us know which law it would breach. The poster who originated this was likely vaccinated in a Gulf state. How would an Irish agency know that they are genuine. Has he followed the necessary legalisation/apostille process to prove the documents. Even after this, what process will exist here to take such documents and load them into an Irish system? Was the certification process overseas sufficiently robust as to capture the identification data for the vaccinee? It would be easier to be vaccinated again.

Thinking more about not integrating an EU vaccine in to whatever system Ireland uses to give out the DCC, refusing to do so would be contrary to the DCC regulation and arguably a breach of Art 21 TFEU. If the certificate process overseas isn't good enough we shouldn't have a DCC as it is inherently based on mutual recognition. We are accepting all sorts of certs at the borders at the moment it seems without difficulty including the Gulf. Similar with PCR's

The accompanying text of the regulation states

"the Commission proposes to establish an EUwide framework for the issuance, verification and acceptance of vaccination certificates
    within the EU as part of a “Digital Green Certificate”."

And the contents of what needs to be mutually recognised is set out https://eur-lex.europa.eu/resource.html?uri=cellar:38de66f4-8807-11eb-ac4c-01aa75ed71a1.0024.02/DOC_2&format=PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

What was their proof of vaccine? Was it the little card you are given ?

Thanks for update.. would be interested to hear how they get on at Spanish airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Skippette wrote: »

Multitrip they will cover for the virus, but won’t if your destination is a do not travel advice from DFA.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

dashoonage wrote: »

Me too. I'm flying July 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Good luck to them, even though it's crazy this is the Gardai not enforcing the law surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭eltonyio

This amused me on CNN Travel today:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/eu-covid-certificate-travel-explainer/index.html?utm_content=2021-06-09
    The scheme officially starts July 1, with member states being allowed an additional six weeks if they need. However, with European countries vying for visitors, it looks doubtful there'll be any stragglers.

Ah come on now...stop with the torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It wasn't a "Gulf state" How did you surmise that?

Its an EU approved vaccine but received in the USA. CDC vaccine card to prove it as well. (Which is just as flimsy as the HSE card)
    The vaccination card was provided to my GP so that their patient records were up to date.

The query relates to whether or not the HSE system would require a HSE vaccination record or would they issue an Irish citizen an DGC for a non-HSE vaccination.

And getting another vaccine isn't that simple. As mixing J&J and Pfizer hasn't been done yet.

I don't see there being any chance the HSE system will be set up to receive information from random 3rd party country, especially one that is not even in the EU so wouldn't be part of this initiative.

At the moment those countries that are accepting travelers from the US, including Ireland, have been accepting the CDC card as valid proof so you should be free to travel using the card you have. I expect this to continue until a point where the US agree a system with the EU or join them on their pass system, at which point it'll be digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Feria40 wrote: »
    Me too. I'm flying July 19th.
    I'd accommodation booked from 19th till 31st in Majorca. Held out on the flights to see how this goes but every day that passes I fear that we will f&&k up the roll out of this digital cert; we just seem to have a knack for always lagging behind. Part of me is still convinced that even if they could, it will be intentionally delayed to try to force people to stay and spend their € here for the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

dodzy wrote: »
    I'd accommodation booked from 19th till 31st in Majorca. Held out on the flights to see how this goes but every day that passes I fear that we will f&&k up the roll out of this digital cert; we just seem to have a knack for always lagging behind. Part of me is still convinced that even if they could, it will be intentionally delayed to try to force people to stay and spend their € here for the summer.

i wonder if it launches on the 19th will i actually be able to download it and get one on the 19th without going to my GP or something mad!

like its not that i don't trust the government its just that well.... i dont.

Advertisement