Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭General Toilet

2000 per adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

beaz2018 wrote: »
    Fair play. You are braver than me. I wouldn’t mind too much if they turned me back but it would break the kids hearts.

Just the wife and I. No kids so no worries on that front. No worries on any front to be honest. 6 months of heartache, stress and back & forth. But fcuk it, we’re going.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Feria40 wrote: »
    I'll look for a more reliable source but this will be great news to many. Children under 12 now exempt from having to produce a negative Covid test when entering Spain

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2021/06/09/minimum-age-of-pcr-requirement-to-enter-spain-raised-from-6-to-12-years-old/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=olive%20press#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss

As I said, not exactly a newsworthy source so approach with caution!

Great news, found this also

"Requirements
    If you come from an area included in the EU/EEA list of countries at risk, you must certify one of these three requirements (except for children under 12 years of age):"

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Embajadas/LAHAYA/en/COVID19/Pages/COVID-19.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Appalling 'good news' story on the rte 9 o clock news calling Europe as open for travel again, but not a mention of the 2 k fine still in place. Just a quiet 'ireland from 19th July ' under the breath at the end. Blatant propaganda. Hope the Eu are watching and preparing a statement. That might push things along. Backwards eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    No but if you don’t turn around they can fine you 2000 per person!

Yeah i understand that but since day one they've had zero authority to prevent anyone freely entering another EU state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,182 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Landed in the Seychelles a few hours ago, we had completed their online application yesterday, so today we met no health officials or even immigration, just one single customs officer. Unfortunately the duty free was closed so a lovely 4.5 litre bottle of Jameson laughed at me :)

Island has a curfew so everything including the beaches closed at 11pm.

The resort is full with Europeans according to the front desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

What will you say to the guards Ray?

He's Ray Donovan....he will find a way.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Enjoy Smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NewRomantics

Has anyone recently travelled to Dublin Airport (or know someone who has) at around 7/8am? Are the guards stopping everyone and questioning them, and if so, what are people say as their reason for travel?

I've heard mixed things, mostly positive, that people aren't being stopped. But I'm supposed to be flying to Spain on Friday (one-way ticket, moving there for the summer as I can work from home i.e. anywhere)...went to RocDoc this evening to get my antigen test, Garda checkpoint right at the entrance to T1 (about 8pm). He waved me through but I'd say that's because I was driving on my own, i.e. not being dropped off at Departures.

So yeah...no idea what to expect Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

You are allowed relocate to another country, documentation would help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Has anyone recently travelled to Dublin Airport (or know someone who has) at around 7/8am? Are the guards stopping everyone and questioning them, and if so, what are people say as their reason for travel?

I've heard mixed things, mostly positive, that people aren't being stopped. But I'm supposed to be flying to Spain on Friday (one-way ticket, moving there for the summer as I can work from home i.e. anywhere)...went to RocDoc this evening to get my antigen test, Garda checkpoint right at the entrance to T1 (about 8pm). He waved me through but I'd say that's because I was driving on my own, i.e. not being dropped off at Departures.

So yeah...no idea what to expect Friday morning.

You're allowed travel if you are relocating. I'm not sure what proof they'd look for though. Maybe some confirmations of viewings for the city you are moving to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NewRomantics

Klonker wrote: »
    You're allowed travel if you are relocating. I'm not sure what proof they'd look for though. Maybe some confirmations of viewings for the city you are moving to.
    I have accommodation sorted for a few months and can provide a letter from landlord as proof...i guess i'm just paranoid they'll be sceptical of everyone. But I've booked a one way ticket and will be bringing two laptops, solo travel etc., so hopefully they don't give me a hard time.
    Also reading some of the older posts, I'm now thinking I'll get the bus to the airport.

I have accommodation sorted for a few months and can provide a letter from landlord as proof...i guess i'm just paranoid they'll be sceptical of everyone. But I've booked a one way ticket and will be bringing two laptops, solo travel etc., so hopefully they don't give me a hard time.
    Also reading some of the older posts, I'm now thinking I'll get the bus to the airport.

I'd get that letter from the landlord just to be safe, better to be over prepared than under prepared. I think you should be fine though, you have a legitimate reason, just explain it well and provide the letter if needed.

It shows how unfair this travel ban/fine is, it can cause a lot of stress for people travelling for legitimate reasons, afraid they might not have 'sufficient proof'.

Yes but the gardai be waiting for you.

In the UK?

No garda is trying to catch you out. If you meet the criteria and aren't on their radar for other stuff, you are free to go

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

You won’t be asked for proof

I'd get that letter from the landlord just to be safe, better to be over prepared than under prepared. I think you should be fine though, you have a legitimate reason, just explain it well and provide the letter if needed.

It shows how unfair this travel ban/fine is, it can cause a lot of stress for people travelling for legitimate reasons, afraid they might not have 'sufficient proof'.

Yeah, I know the risk of a ticket inspector asking for my ticket stresses me out on the bus.

Yeah, I know the risk of a ticket inspector asking for my ticket stresses me out on the bus.

Do you need to prove to the ticket inspector that your journey is `essential`?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

There's always been two aspects to dealing with the virus. The first is reducing harm to the extent that life can get back to normal. This is achieved by vaccinations and better therapeutics. The second is eliminating the virus, a goal which will take years at best and may be unachievable at worst. That is why most countries are concentrating on getting back to normal and living with the virus for the time being. Eliminating it will take years of coordinated international effort.

I concur completely. The "Zero Covid" approach will kill more people (via economic collapse) than Covid itself.

I also look forward to out Govt being shamed into faster relaxing due to pressure from our EU neighbours.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Have an essential dental appointment. Doubt they’ll be there at 3.30am when Im passing through anyways to be honest.

Checkpoints usually start to get set up at 7am.

Do you need to prove to the ticket inspector that your journey is `essential`?

I needed to produce paperwork and yes, during level 5 buses were for essential travel only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Yes that's my concern too. The vaccine roll out is going well but Im morto for whoever designed and implemented the vaccine registration portal. Clearly they learned their trade a good 40 years ago.

The idea that the HSE IT could implement a sophisticated travel system that links in with the EU and involves generating QR codes just seems completely beyond their capabilities. Nevermind having it ready for instant use by 19/07

De fuq? I'm sure the software designers are beside themselves because of any apparent "morto". Though you may want to get onto the relevant technology solution providers - who I understand are IBM and Salesforce.

But yeah I guess way back in December 2020 the HSE most likley didn't have in mind creating a "sophisticated travel system that links in with the EU to generate QR codes" in place of rolling out the biggest vaccination programme in the history of the state.

Other thing was the portal was implemented long before the green travel certificate was thrashed out by the EU. Though that said absolutely no reason why it can't be added to for future requirements.

Looking at some other European countries vaccine registration systems makes ours look slick tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

smurfjed wrote: »
    Landed in the Seychelles a few hours ago, we had completed their online application yesterday, so today we met no health officials or even immigration, just one single customs officer. Unfortunately the duty free was closed so a lovely 4.5 litre bottle of Jameson laughed at me :)

The Seychelles is an absolutely beautiful place, enjoy it! Try to get to La Digue if you're traveling a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭supersonic21

Does anyone know if the bar in t1 is open at the moment? Flying out later and wouldn't mind a cheeky gin and tonic lol

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Does anyone know if the bar in t1 is open at the moment? Flying out later and wouldn't mind a cheeky gin and tonic lol

Lol I think I'm on your flight ! judging by your username ;) see you at said bar if open ! last time I flew you had to buy a 'substantial' meal to get a beer !

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Wanted to raise this question on the PCR test requirement when traveling into Ireland again: http://www.gov.ie/en/publication/be1be-list-of-high-risk-countries-as-of-12th-february-2021/#requirement-for-a-pre-departure-covid-19-rt-pcr-test

Do the test results in another country require also the passport number on the document, or is just a name + negative result enough to pass the checks in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Great to read, planning a honeymoon in Mauritius in September and this is encouraging!

Are you based working in Rwanda for number of months or several countries, is that with an NGO out of curiosity?
    What kind of travel restrictions have you come across out there if any or tests required, masking etc
    Also are you vaccinated?
    Sorry for all the questions
    Envious obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

I was at T1 a couple of weeks ago. The bar was open and €9 substantial meal still applied. Not sure now since outdoor pubs are open and the rule is gone. Probably the same at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Interesting article on the restrictions across a number of European countries facing international travellers at the moment.
    As the European Union's doors reopen one by one to the outside world for the first time since March 2020, tourists will discover a patchwork of systems instead of a single border-free leisure zone, because national governments have resisted surrendering control over their frontiers amid the pandemic

Not only here then ;)

Some odd exceptions detailed including British nationals who can go to Spain without any health documents at all - but for EU citizens entering Spain - you must provide proof of vaccination, a certificate showing they recently recovered from COVID-19, or a negative antigen or PCR test.

https://www.mail.com/int/scitech/health/10856940-europe-tells-tourists-welcome-back-work-rules.html#.1272-stage-hero1-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ellie1988

Hi All - looking some advice for my younger brother and his girlfriend. They had their 4 month asia trip cancelled last year (obviously) and put back to this summer. They are now just going to go to Phuket as it is open to vaccinated travellers (theyre both vaccinated), flight from Dublin is on July 1st. Thier flight is currently still going, but unsure of how much longer the Airport checkpoints will be there and what all the rules are at the moment. Does anyone have any idea? They are starting permanent jobs in septemeber so this is their last chance to do some travelling! TIA

Advertisement