Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Faceman,
    What proof of vaccination was shown to ryanair staff in Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Ellie1988 wrote: »
    Hi All - looking some advice for my younger brother and his girlfriend. They had their 4 month asia trip cancelled last year (obviously) and put back to this summer. They are now just going to go to Phuket as it is open to vaccinated travellers (theyre both vaccinated), flight from Dublin is on July 1st. Thier flight is currently still going, but unsure of how much longer the Airport checkpoints will be there and what all the rules are at the moment. Does anyone have any idea? They are starting permanent jobs in septemeber so this is their last chance to do some travelling! TIA

If they are going SE Asia for 4 months then when they’re questioned (in Dublin airport) they should be able to claim “remote working” which I believe would escape any further questions and fine.

Btw. The Phuket sandbox model that Thailand is piloting is full of twists and turns. Nothing has yet been confirmed as it’s awaiting publishing on the royal gazette (should be announced next week) Expect ALOT of restrictions (even if vaccinated) still like travel insurance , pcr testing , random temperature checks , outside masks, personal tracking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ellie1988

dalyboy wrote: »
    If they are going SE Asia for 4 months then when they’re questioned (in Dublin airport) they should be able to claim “remote working” which I believe would escape any further questions and fine.

Btw. The Phuket sandbox model that Thailand is piloting is full of twists and turns. Nothing has yet been confirmed as it’s awaiting publishing on the royal gazette (should be announced next week) Expect ALOT of restrictions (even if vaccinated) still like travel insurance , pcr testing , random temperature checks , outside masks, personal tracking etc.

Thanks for the reply! They are going for 5/6 weeks in order to be home to start the new jobs in September. They are mostly worried about the potential fines at dublin airport at the moment. Hoping the checkpoints would be gone by July but it's still very unclear!

Thanks for info re Thailand - will pass on.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Klonker wrote: »
    Do you need to prove to the ticket inspector that your journey is `essential`?

Would be a bit of craic

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

IQO wrote: »
    Wanted to raise this question on the PCR test requirement when traveling into Ireland again: http://www.gov.ie/en/publication/be1be-list-of-high-risk-countries-as-of-12th-february-2021/#requirement-for-a-pre-departure-covid-19-rt-pcr-test

Do the test results in another country require also the passport number on the document, or is just a name + negative result enough to pass the checks in Ireland?

Yes in my experience and I've had to get a few covering different countries, also safest approach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭VG31

Am I right in saying there's no requirement for testing/quarantine regardless of your vaccination status if you're travelling from a green area? Is Ireland automatically enrolled in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

josip wrote: »

Looking good! The ECDC weekly infection rate comparison is also out. Ireland is lower mid-table - 19 countries in Europe with lower infection rates than here, 10 with higher rates:

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

VG31 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying there's no requirement for testing/quarantine regardless of your vaccination status if you're travelling from a green area? Is Ireland automatically enrolled in this?

It is complicated. The requirement for testing applies to all countries, even green countries, after the traffic light system was amended in January. However, regarding quarantine, it was agreed when the traffic light system was set up that there would be no quarantine requirement when returning from green countries. Ireland has signed up to the traffic light system, but since January, that has been (nearly) a moot point since basically only Iceland has been green. The travel advice on Gov.ie doesn't appear to make a distinction between green countries and other EU/EEA countries, and it is likely that the government would rather not have to amend their advice between now and 19 July, but the point will continue to become more relevant as now Malta and Romania have gone green too.

Unless there was another piece of emergency legislation brought in since January, the quarantine on arrival from a green country is definitely something that could be challenged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I've had two flights to Ireland cancelled by Ryanair at the start of July. Only opening from the 19th is definitely going to affect tourism to Ireland.

On another note, every time i see this thread i get that song stuck in my head for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Tazz T wrote: »

I would imagine/hope that even if they haven't linked in the private testing companies that a printed result would still be accepted by the destination country. Pretty much as is now. I'm seeing this as just more scaremongering from their side to try keep people holidaying at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

BrokenMan wrote: »
    I would imagine/hope that even if they haven't linked in the private testing companies that a printed result would still be accepted by the destination country. Pretty much as is now. I'm seeing this as just more scaremongering from their side to try keep people holidaying at home.

I've never seen the govt leak bad news to the English times either.

If RTE publish though then I'd start to be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

€9 in that bar would probably just about buy a bag of Tayto!
    JojoLoca wrote: »
    I was at T1 a couple of weeks ago. The bar was open and €9 substantial meal still applied. Not sure now since outdoor pubs are open and the rule is gone. Probably the same at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

I’m feeling more confused about what I should do about my travel plans! I asked yesterday about flying from Belfast , direct flight to the UK with my child , I was hell bent on this plan due to no questions being asked and just needing a neg test ... but now I’m reading that the customs here in ireland aren’t questioning everyone that goes through so it might it be easier for me to travel from Dublin and not do the long journey to Belfast but then there’s the risk of me being turned away . It’s a risk isn’t it ? I’ve no essential reason for going other than I’m half vaccinated, and want to see my family and introduce them to their nephew . Mentally it’s an essential reason !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,007 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I’m feeling more confused about what I should do about my travel plans! I asked yesterday about flying from Belfast , direct flight to the UK with my child , I was hell bent on this plan due to no questions being asked and just needing a neg test ... but now I’m reading that the customs here in ireland aren’t questioning everyone that goes through so it might it be easier for me to travel from Dublin and not do the long journey to Belfast but then there’s the risk of me being turned away . It’s a risk isn’t it ? I’ve no essential reason for going other than I’m half vaccinated, and want to see my family and introduce them to their nephew . Mentally it’s an essential reason !

You don’t need a negative test on any end if flying to and from Belfast.
    If flying from Dublin you need one on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,182 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Are you based working in Rwanda for number of months or several countries, is that with an NGO out of curiosity?
    What kind of travel restrictions have you come across out there if any or tests required, masking etc
    Also are you vaccinated?
    Sorry for all the questions
    Envious obviously

I fly a corporate jet so have visited a load of countries in the last year, some for a few hours and places like Rwanda for 3 days and now Seychelles for 4 days. Double vaccinated and have done over 100 PCR tests.

Rwanda was probably the best prepared country that I have seen, but they also have the most intense airport security.

Seychelles has a pre arrival application that requires you to submit your PCR and vaccination report. Everyone has to wear masks, they have a 10pm curfew and as we just found out, hotel restaurants will only accept their own guests.

Burundi would have locked us up for 10 days so rather glad we didn’t stay there.

South Sudan, Mali, Niger, Ethiopia, Angola, Zambia, Republic of Congo and DRC, Central African Republic, Chad, all have various limitations and restrictions, but none appeared as prepared as Rwanda.

Yes it's a risk to go through dublin versus no risk from belfast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

kenkin wrote: »
    Faceman,
    What proof of vaccination was shown to ryanair staff in Dublin Airport.

Bring whatever the HSE give you once you’re fully vaxxed. You probably won’t be asked for it but just in case. More importantly make sure you have your QR code from completing the Spanish passenger form.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

johnire wrote: »

Toasted sandwich, bag of Tayto and chocolate bar will get you just over €9. But I really hope that rule is gone now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

BrokenMan wrote: »

I'd say its more pushing for favoured status by private companies who undertake testing such as that detailed in the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Faceman, Im fully vaccinated but I only got a little card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

JojoLoca wrote: »
    I was at T1 a couple of weeks ago. The bar was open and €9 substantial meal still applied. Not sure now since outdoor pubs are open and the rule is gone. Probably the same at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pouladuff_goal

You might be questioned. If Dublin is much more convenient then best to pay for T1 Fast Track. This appears to work as the guards are never there. 6.99 each. If flying Aer Lingus you can still use T1 Fast Track.

No test for Belfast but inconvenient. Dublin 1 PCR test + 2 x Fast Track. Still tiny risk they will check Fast Track but highly unlikely I would say. Back in March they were checking around the clock and never did T1 Fast Track. now the checks are less frequent and it would require an extra team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,007 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Gael23 wrote: »

Interesting that Cert Holders from other EU countries will be able to use it on Entry here from 1st July.
    WE have to wait 18 days for ours but I assume most will accept a PCR or Vaccination card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Interesting that Cert Holders from other EU countries will be able to use it on Entry here from 1st July.
    WE have to wait 18 days for ours but I assume most will accept a PCR or Vaccination card.

It's an absolute joke to suggest that every EU country can use it to come and go here as they please on 1st July, except us.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Wonder if we will lift the Fine and Checkpoints on July 1. But who am I kidding

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Wonder if we will lift the Fine and Checkpoints on July 1. But who am I kidding

I'm actually starting to think we might lift them given the talk about people from other EU countries being able to come here from the 1st. It would be bizarre to let tourists in while fining people for going to the airport.

That's assuming said talk is accurate of course.

• Advertisement

I'm actually starting to think we might lift them given the talk about people from other EU countries being able to come here from the 1st. It would be bizarre to let tourists in while fining people for going to the airport.

That's assuming said talk is accurate of course.

Does anyone know yet how you get the cert? Can an irish person only get a cert from an irish app? Can you apply via another eu country if you upload either your cert or negative test? Have the irish govt confirmed the cert will be available in advance of 19/01 to ensure travel on 19/01?

Advertisement