Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

I'm actually starting to think we might lift them given the talk about people from other EU countries being able to come here from the 1st. It would be bizarre to let tourists in while fining people for going to the airport.

That's assuming said talk is accurate of course.

In reality they could always come so its no change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Yes but the airport will become much busier and therefore much harder to police. Every person could just say they were back visiting family and this is their return flight

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Yes but the airport will become much busier and therefore much harder to police. Every person could just say they were back visiting family and this is their return flight

yes, as they always could anyway and subject to the same checks as before.

no harder to police either, the airport has a dedicated garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

They won't have the man power to check everyone in a few weeks time without grinding everything to a halt. Sure they've nobody there before 6:30 in the morning as is for goodness sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

yes, as they always could anyway and subject to the same checks as before.

no harder to police either, the airport has a dedicated garda station.

But if its much busier would that not mean more gardai would be needed to maintain the same level of checks on a pro rata basis. several of my mates are coming to visit their families in July, I'd be surprised it traffic doesn’t double at the airport between now and 1st of July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

Starting to become a little bit clearer on the digital cert. glad to hear they are on track with it, surprised and delighted

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/around-25-million-people-eligible-for-eu-travel-cert-40524190.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The article posted a few pages ago states that the travel cert will be accepted here from July 1st, which I would take to mean that travellers with a cert would be under no obligation to quarantine on arrival. Is it not still the case that people coming into the country from EU countries need to quarantine at home at the moment? Genuine question, I’m under the impression that it’s the case but open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,007 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

The article posted a few pages ago states that the travel cert will be accepted here from July 1st, which I would take to mean that travellers with a cert would be under no obligation to quarantine on arrival. Is it not still the case that people coming into the country from EU countries need to quarantine at home at the moment? Genuine question, I’m under the impression that it’s the case but open to correction.

Yes for 14 days or alternatively a negative test after 5.

TefalBrain wrote: »
    They won't have the man power to check everyone in a few weeks time without grinding everything to a halt. Sure they've nobody there before 6:30 in the morning as is for goodness sake.

Who wont? How many Gardai are stationed in the airport? They arent on the checkpoint at 6.30am because they choose not too.
    Valhallapt wrote: »
    But if its much busier would that not mean more gardai would be needed to maintain the same level of checks on a pro rata basis. several of my mates are coming to visit their families in July, I'd be surprised it traffic doesn’t double at the airport between now and 1st of July.

Traffic is already way up by about 400%. Its not for the Gardai to ensure the flow of traffic. If the instruction is, stop and check then traffic will be backed up and so be it. If the order is to only stop a few and keep traffic flowing then so be it. The instruction could well be to stop the checkpoint or it could be to increase manpower. Either way, the law hasnt changed at the moment.

Its premature to make a call on what way it will go as theres still a mishmash of systems and agreements. Hopefully over the next few weeks it will be clarified further but I wont hold my breath on a clear explanation from the powers that be

I dont pay any heed to newspaper articles, they have shown themselves completely incapable of performing adequate research and producing accurate articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Wonder if we will lift the Fine and Checkpoints on July 1. But who am I kidding

Are the checkpoints still in place...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

mel123 wrote: »
    Starting to become a little bit clearer on the digital cert. glad to hear they are on track with it, surprised and delighted

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/around-25-million-people-eligible-for-eu-travel-cert-40524190.html

Is this the same Green TD who said Ireland would not be subsiding tests about a week ago or was that a different TD? Either way, about as clear as mud as usual from our government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

Klonker wrote: »
    Is this the same Green TD who said Ireland would not be subsiding tests about a week ago or was that a different TD? Either way, about as clear as mud as usual from our government.

You’d wonder how they can email everyone without their email address 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭josip

mel123 wrote: »

On track for their own deadline of 19 days late?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

This is the Green minister of state whose job prior to government was as an IT programme manager at St Vincent’s Hospital Group and prior to that as a consultant and with Citi, Canada Life, Microsoft and others. I’m hopeful from listening to him that he has a good understanding of and focus on delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Srpoc

Anyone know what the story is with ferry travel from Dublin to Holyhead. Are the guards stopping cars, or what’s happening.

The EU are providing the money for free testing
    That was decided the other day

Cheaper testing, not free and subject to a certain amount. 100 million, our share wont be much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

The EU said that over a month ago so that's nothing new.

This same minister said less than 2 weeks ago that Ireland has no plans to subsidise the cost of testing here. No wonder people are complaining about mixed messaging from government on travel.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/no-free-pcr-testing-5452076-May2021/%3famp=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Tenger wrote: »
    I concur completely. The "Zero Covid" approach will kill more people (via economic collapse) than Covid itself.

I also look forward to out Govt being shamed into faster relaxing due to pressure from our EU neighbours.
    Yes. The big thing to be aware of is unconscious "Zero Covid thinking" entering into decisions on unrelated issues such as the safety of opening indoor dining or foreign travel etc. So for example policy might to restrict indoor dining on the basis that the virus can be transmitted that way ignoring the fact that very few deaths or serious illness will result.

I think Ireland has suffered more from irrational eradication-based thinking than most other countries and it is what is keeping the country more closed than it need be at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Antigen tests. We know how nyhet feel about them. They are about as useful as a fine for going to the airport while the digital cert is in place for everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

I noticed on the official Lanzarote website that one provision for entry would be

“You can prove with an official medical certificate or public document that you have had and recovered from the disease within the past 6 months”.

This actually applies to me. Anyone know how I could go about getting a medical certificate to prove that. Would a GP’s letter be acceptable? Surely that would be a bit risky?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Ignacius

Hi all,
    Would anybody have advice on my wife’s parents getting here for September from Melbourne ? They will both be vaccinated by next week but don’t think they can leave Melbourne. We rescheduled our wedding last year and had a registry wedding. I saw on the Australian website that a wedding may be compassionate grounds. We are already married even though her parents didn’t get to be there so I doubt this would apply.
    We would like to not have to reschedule.
    Does anybody have any advice or any experience dealing with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Marcusm wrote: »
    This is the Green minister of state whose job prior to government was as an IT programme manager at St Vincent’s Hospital Group and prior to that as a consultant and with Citi, Canada Life, Microsoft and others. I’m hopeful from listening to him that he has a good understanding of and focus on delivery.

I wouldn't be bragging about working in IT in the HSE, if we've learned anything its that its far from the best n brightest working there.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Ignacius wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Would anybody have advice on my wife’s parents getting here for September from Melbourne ? They will both be vaccinated by next week but don’t think they can leave Melbourne. We rescheduled our wedding last year and had a registry wedding. I saw on the Australian website that a wedding may be compassionate grounds. We are already married even though her parents didn’t get to be there so I doubt this would apply.
    We would like to not have to reschedule.
    Does anybody have any advice or any experience dealing with this?

I have relatives in Australia, as far as I know they’ve to provide documentation, etc when leaving and it takes quite some time to be approved with applying to leave on compassionate grounds. Everything is double checked.
    Also heard from the Irish side, it took a family who came for a funeral at least 4 months to be allowed back into Australia after travelling to Ireland.

My advice maybe consider having the wedding in Australia if you can get back easier as Irish citizens going home

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Ignacius

My advice maybe consider having the wedding in Australia if you can get back easier as Irish citizens going home

I think you are right. I just don’t want to have to postpone again but it looks doomed. She rightly won’t go ahead without her parents so will have to work something else out. Thanks for your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Hontou

My Ryanair flight was cancelled for the 5th of July to Malaga. That was my fourth time changing flights since March 2020. Ryanair have been great actually and I have taken vouchers for the flight rather than look for a refund.

I've decided not to travel this Summer even though myself and my husband are fully vaccinated but there are just too many extra barriers from the Irish government......that seem disproportionate when compared to other EU countries in terms of balancing the economy / tourism industry with where the EU is with Covid.

I have been looking up Irish self catering holidays for the same week and the only house available where I want to visit (near family in rural Cork) is €3342 for a week. There is another one up the road for €13,000! (Admittedly it is fabulous but beyond my needs and budget). I rented a lovely house there last year for €500. Will be camping so.......and looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 northcider85

Hontou wrote: »
    My Ryanair flight was cancelled for the 5th of July to Malaga. That was my fourth time changing flights since March 2020. Ryanair have been great actually and I have taken vouchers for the flight rather than look for a refund.

I've decided not to travel this Summer even though myself and my husband are fully vaccinated but there are just too many extra barriers from the Irish government......that seem disproportionate when compared to other EU countries in terms of balancing the economy / tourism industry with where the EU is with Covid.

I have been looking up Irish self catering holidays for the same week and the only house available where I want to visit (near family in rural Cork) is €3342 for a week. There is another one up the road for €13,000! (Admittedly it is fabulous but beyond my needs and budget). I rented a lovely house there last year for €500. Will be camping so.......and looking forward to it.

Curious. Did they say why? We have flights "scheduled" for July 11th to Malaga
    On a separate note, I watched an Ireland EU parliament webinar earlier. They mentioned a proposal will be brought forward next week in the EU parliament to allow unrestricted travel for vaccinated EU citizens. Hopefully the Irish government relent on this topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

smurfjed wrote: »

Burundi would have locked us up for 10 days so rather glad we didn’t stay there.

South Sudan, Mali, Niger, Ethiopia, Angola, Zambia, Republic of Congo and DRC, Central African Republic, Chad, all have various limitations and restrictions, but none appeared as prepared as Rwanda.

Good to know there is a demand for corporate jets in these countries 😀

Advertisement