Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

faceman wrote: »
    Bring whatever the HSE give you once you’re fully vaxxed. You probably won’t be asked for it but just in case. More importantly make sure you have your QR code from completing the Spanish passenger form.

But this won't satisfy Gardai??

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Hontou wrote: »
    My Ryanair flight was cancelled for the 5th of July to Malaga. That was my fourth time changing flights since March 2020. Ryanair have been great actually and I have taken vouchers for the flight rather than look for a refund.

I've decided not to travel this Summer even though myself and my husband are fully vaccinated but there are just too many extra barriers from the Irish government......that seem disproportionate when compared to other EU countries in terms of balancing the economy / tourism industry with where the EU is with Covid.

I have been looking up Irish self catering holidays for the same week and the only house available where I want to visit (near family in rural Cork) is €3342 for a week. There is another one up the road for €13,000! (Admittedly it is fabulous but beyond my needs and budget). I rented a lovely house there last year for €500. Will be camping so.......and looking forward to it.

If you travel after the 19th of July there are no extra barriers from the Irish government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

TefalBrain wrote: »
    If you travel after the 19th of July there are no extra barriers from the Irish government.

Will PCR test on return not he needed for the unvaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Hontou

Curious. Did they say why? We have flights "scheduled" for July 11th to Malaga
    On a separate note, I watched an Ireland EU parliament webinar earlier. They mentioned a proposal will be brought forward next week in the EU parliament to allow unrestricted travel for vaccinated EU citizens. Hopefully the Irish government relent on this topic

I'm guessing they are keeping flights scheduled as long as possible as the rules could change. If they cancel your flight you will be offered the other one going that day. When I re-booked other cancelled flights I chose Malaga as they have a few going each day so at least one will go. I just decided not to go as I don't want to put the kids through the pcr tests on return or worry about the fine. Keep an eye on what does actually depart each day coming up to your flight day.

On a separate note, I watched an Ireland EU parliament webinar earlier. They mentioned a proposal will be brought forward next week in the EU parliament to allow unrestricted travel for vaccinated EU citizens. Hopefully the Irish government relent on this topic

They cancel the less popular flights and move everyone to the busiest that week. Getting ridiculous how often they have a sale then cancel

• Advertisement

Klonker wrote: »
    Will PCR test on return not he needed for the unvaccinated?

No idea. The response i gave was to a fully vaccinated poster. After the 19th they won't require any tests or quarantine no matter where they travel in Europe anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

You don’t need a negative test on any end if flying to and from Belfast.
    If flying from Dublin you need one on the way back.

I’m not sure I’ll need a negative test coming home ?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

I’m not sure I’ll need a negative test coming home ?

From the UK? Before July 19th everyone needs PCR coming in from uk, even the vaccinated. After july 19th all unvaccinated including kids over 6 need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Ignacius wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Would anybody have advice on my wife’s parents getting here for September from Melbourne ? They will both be vaccinated by next week but don’t think they can leave Melbourne. We rescheduled our wedding last year and had a registry wedding. I saw on the Australian website that a wedding may be compassionate grounds. We are already married even though her parents didn’t get to be there so I doubt this would apply.
    We would like to not have to reschedule.
    Does anybody have any advice or any experience dealing with this?

It is currently illegal to leave Australia

Heres our embarrassingly useless leader acting like hes just a passive bystander in the running of the country and not the person who is supposed to have decision making power:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1227280/

If everyone in govt right to the top agrees with antigen testing why in the name of all holy **** are we not using it.

I knew MM was weak, but this is just beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Heres our embarrassingly useless leader acting like hes just a passive bystander in the running of the country and not the person who is supposed to have decision making power:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1227280/

If everyone in govt right to the top agrees with antigen testing why in the name of all holy **** are we not using it.

I knew MM was weak, but this is just beyond.

There's a piece in the Indo this morning suggesting that the state will apply to the EU €100 million fund for assistance with PCR tests. I was under the impression that this fund had already been spent on antigen tests. Anyone know if this a separate fund from the 100 mill already spend on Antigen tests?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/going-abroad-again-may-not-be-quite-as-expensive-as-we-feared-as-state-to-apply-to-100m-eu-fund-for-pcr-tests-40526061.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=IN:Daily&hConversionEventId=AQEAAZQF2gAmdjQwMDAwMDE3OS1mOWQwLWE0ZTUtYjNhZC0xNzE2M2VkMGFiODHaACQ1YWNhNmYxNy03ZTFmLTQwZDYtMDAwMC0wMjFlZjNhMGJjYznaACRkZWRkMmEzMi1lNzgxLTQ5ZjUtYmE3My05MmRhOGQxYTdjNTS5Tn1wLW01ANI_vhooeXX-6YlJCfsmMO-EHkRoa8Ke3w

• Registered Users Posts: 33 nonethepfizer

From the UK? Before July 19th everyone needs PCR coming in from uk, even the vaccinated. After july 19th all unvaccinated including kids over 6 need them.

have you a link for where this is mentioned?

I need to send it only a relation.

have you a link for where this is mentioned?

I need to send it only a relation.

All the pre july 19th stuff is on gov.ie

Is your relative Irish? If so, details of the operation of the vaccine passport will cover off post july 19th.

If your relative is English it's a bit clouded- the only "official" doc I'm aware of is the print out of the flow chart that gav reilly tweeted which didnt actually have details of how non EU travellers prove they are vaccinated. Might be safest for your relative to plan to take PCR for now and await further info.

But again if Irish it's just gov.ie or anything describing the EU green cert.

Tazz T wrote: »
    There's a piece in the Indo this morning suggesting that the state will apply to the EU €100 million fund for assistance with PCR tests. I was under the impression that this fund had already been spent on antigen tests. Anyone know if this a separate fund from the 100 mill already spend on Antigen tests?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/going-abroad-again-may-not-be-quite-as-expensive-as-we-feared-as-state-to-apply-to-100m-eu-fund-for-pcr-tests-40526061.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=IN:Daily&hConversionEventId=AQEAAZQF2gAmdjQwMDAwMDE3OS1mOWQwLWE0ZTUtYjNhZC0xNzE2M2VkMGFiODHaACQ1YWNhNmYxNy03ZTFmLTQwZDYtMDAwMC0wMjFlZjNhMGJjYznaACRkZWRkMmEzMi1lNzgxLTQ5ZjUtYmE3My05MmRhOGQxYTdjNTS5Tn1wLW01ANI_vhooeXX-6YlJCfsmMO-EHkRoa8Ke3w

Its Irelands share of the EU testing fund for people that frequently cross borders that was agreed with the DCC passing the other day
    In Ireland it will pay for pcr tests for travel for the un vaccinated to the EU or the UK as I understand it

It will be interesting to see what happens on july 1
    However Ireland can trump anything prescribed from the EU on public health grounds even after July 19th with the fire break clause
    So no entry untill then is possible

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

mmclo wrote: »
    But this won't satisfy Gardai??

I wasn’t talking about the Gardai nor would I be giving advice on how to break the law. I was merely talking about entry to Spain

Its Irelands share of the EU testing fund for people that frequently cross borders that was agreed with the DCC passing the other day
    In Ireland it will pay for pcr tests for travel for the un vaccinated to the EU or the UK as I understand it

AFAIK that 100 million has been spent on 20 million antigen tests to be distributed among EU countries. Do you have a link to a separate fund?

Why would the EU agree to fund PCR testing if under the terms of the DCC only antigen testing is required?

EDIT: Looks like there is two separate funds, but the above question still applies. If Ireland requires more expensive PCR tests, EU is hardly likely to fund it. Convenient for the anti-antigeners.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/speech_21_2608

Tazz T wrote: »
    AFAIK that 100 million has been spent on 20 million antigen tests to be distributed among EU countries. Do you have a link to a separate fund?

Why would the EU agree to fund PCR testing if under the terms of the DCC only antigen testing is required?

EDIT: Looks like there is two separate funds, but the above question still applies. If Ireland requires more expensive PCR tests, EU is hardly likely to fund it. Convenient for the anti-antigeners.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/speech_21_2608

It was reported on rte news at the time of the final agreement of the DCC
    This was just a few days ago
    It is a fund,its not spent money on anything
    If I remember correctly it was reported as a grant to make tests free for frequent border crossers and that Ireland qualifies because like Malta it is an island

It will be interesting to see what happens on july 1
    However Ireland can trump anything prescribed from the EU on public health grounds even after July 19th with the fire break clause
    So no entry untill then is possible

No entry where? To ireland? Anyone can come here currently once they have a negative PCR (MHQ aside).

I also understand the "emergency break" is to be set an EU level not a local level (otherwise we are just left with the current situation where each country makes up their own stupid rules on ever changing undefined criteria)

No entry where? To ireland? Anyone can come here currently once they have a negative PCR (MHQ aside).

I also understand the "emergency break" is to be set an EU level not a local level (otherwise we are just left with the current situation where each country makes up their own stupid rules on ever changing undefined criteria)

Yeah without a negative pcr regardless of vaccine status

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

We had our June 8th Ryanair outbound flight to Fuerteventura cancelled weeks ago, took the voucher, no problem but they are still selling our inbound flight on June 19th, fare is €8, looks like they may fly that one possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

There will be no influx to ireland of foreign tourists. Tony can rest happy that his ploy is working.

indeed anyone can come if they spend upwards of 100 euro each on a PCR test to enter, and add 50 to 100 euro again for a test when leaving to get back to where you came from - and multiply that by 4 or 5 for a family.

If youre sitting in Germany or the likes, do you
    a) as a family pay a grand+ for tests on top of flights (and have the chance that your pcr test will be late and you need to abandon the trip or rebook flights as happened to someone I know last week coming from the UK) to go to a rainy island where everything is shocking dear as its booked up already with staycations from a captive home population.... or
    b) go to the likes of Italy where you only need an antigen test and likely wont even need that in a few weeks, and theres sun, and theres plentiful affordable accomodation, and you can drive at the last minute eliminating any risk of loosing flights should test results not come through (even though antigen results tend to be there within 15 minutes tops, but even repeating a positive test you could drive a day later if needs be)

I know which way our family decision is currently tending

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭embraer170

They cancel the less popular flights and move everyone to the busiest that week. Getting ridiculous how often they have a sale then cancel

And on some routes they postpone the flights for a few weeks so you cannot even move the ticket because it is outside of the 14-day before/after window allowed. Only option is a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 nonethepfizer

All the pre july 19th stuff is on gov.ie

Is your relative Irish? If so, details of the operation of the vaccine passport will cover off post july 19th.

If your relative is English it's a bit clouded- the only "official" doc I'm aware of is the print out of the flow chart that gav reilly tweeted which didnt actually have details of how non EU travellers prove they are vaccinated. Might be safest for your relative to plan to take PCR for now and await further info.

But again if Irish it's just gov.ie or anything describing the EU green cert.

relative is Irish, it's more so for me though... I've to stay in their house (coming from UK), but they are strict on the government rules....

I'd happily just come back and do the PCR, but if the 5 day quarantine is still in place, they don't want me around.... like wise I wouldn't get a hotel or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'm in the UK. I want to go home early
    August for the bank hol weekend.
    I've had one jab. Not due the second until mid August.
    Am I correct in saying I'll need a PCR test to get into Ireland. And complete a passanger locator form and quarantine for 5 days after which I can be tested for free?
    That is if I go via Dublin?
    And if I go via Belfast i don't have to do any of the above?

embraer170 wrote: »
    And on some routes they postpone the flights for a few weeks so you cannot even move the ticket because it is outside of the 14-day before/after window allowed. Only option is a refund.

What 14 day window? I have moved flights by months

Panthro wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying I'll need a PCR test to get into Ireland. And complete a passanger locator form and quarantine for 5 days after which I can be tested for free?

Belfast bus down sorted.

Panthro wrote: »

They won't be any quarantine but yes, at the moment a pcr will still be required until the cta is reopened our side

Fyi, that rule still applies going via belfast albeit unlikely to be enforced

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

We ended up booking flights from knock to the uk and when booking seats half the plane had reserved seats , I’m praying they won’t cancel the flight.... how soon before you fly have Ryan air been known to cancel? I’m hoping because it’s the UK they won’t .
    So flying there we require no pcr tests but coming back we do ? Does that mean get tested 72hrs before flying home or is that get tested once 5 days have passed when we’re back in ireland ? I know somebody who flew and didn’t have any covid test done before coming home to ireland

• Advertisement

https://www.independent.ie/news/travel-to-europe-this-summereu-agrees-detail-ontravel-cert-40527165.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=seeding&fbclid=IwAR3frIpWYKE1AinqnNWX-xlb6Q_vyCI1tFcWKU5gSQSGmCSxXjMZ6g75b2c

Very interesting modification to the cert just announced. It would appear that, like last year, non-vaxxed traveller from green zones now require no tests or restrictions. Countries can require a test if from an amber zone.

Just can't see Ireland abiding by the new green list amendment for the non-vaxxed. A lot of Europe will be green by 19th July.

Advertisement