Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

Also from todays Indo, by Eilish o'Regan on subsidised tests

THE cost of Covid-19 tests for people from Ireland holidaying abroad from the middle of next month is likely to be subsidised through a share of a €100m EU fund to make travel more affordable, it emerged yesterday.

Minister of State Ossian Smyth, who is overseeing the EU Digital Covid Certificate, said he was delighted to see this EU-wide fund had been set up and he will be pursuing our allocation.

He said people who are not vaccinated or who have not had a positive Covid-19 test in the previous nine months will need a PCR test.

"Our tests are expensive, particularly if you are bringing a family with children who will not be vaccinated because of their age. If each test costs €100 you are in a difficult situation, so it is a real problem,” he said.

"The policy at the moment is that the State is not going to pay for PCR tests for travel. This announcement of €100m is to subsidise costs. We will be engaging to see what we are entitled to.”

He was speaking at an event organised by the European Commission Representation in Ireland, the European Parliament Liaison Office in Ireland and EM Ireland yesterday.

It was part of a panel discussion on Ireland and the EU Digital Covid Certificate which aims to facilitate the safe free movement of citizens within the EU during the Covid-19 pandemic, with effect from summer 2021.

It is due to come into effect here from July 19.

The cert will allow people who received a Covid-19 vaccine or who have had a confirmed case of the virus in the previous nine months to travel. Others will need a PCR test.

Some countries, such as France, provide tests for free.

Mr Smyth said around 2.5 million people are currently eligible for an EU digital certificate, allowing them to travel abroad next month, either because they have been vaccinated or had a confirmed case of the virus.

The HSE can issue around one million certs to those who went through the vaccination portal. "We have another 1.3 million based on data from GPs. A quarter of a million people recovered from Covid in the last nine months. That is another quarter of a million we could issue right away,” he said.

Mr Smyth said arrangements are being made with laboratories which will be accredited to carry out PCR tests. People will be contacted by email and invited to apply for the cert.

The free certificate will be a scannable QR code that travellers can show on a piece of paper or on their phones.

"The EU Digital Covid Certificate is an important capability in facilitating the safe reopening of travel across Europe,” he added.

"Ireland has been actively participating in the design and testing phases and we look forward to offering support for the Covid certificate from July 19.”

Sophia in't Veld, Dutch MEP, Renew and shadow rapporteur for the report on the cert said: "The freedom to travel throughout Europe is cherished by many Europeans as one of the most precious intangible gains of European integration. The European Parliament kept this in mind at all times as it worked towards the adoption of the European Digital Covid Certificate. I take great pride in that fact. Europeans can now carry a common European certificate to prove that they are vaccinated or tested.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Travel is on the cusp of a massive surge

Why would they do this? :confused:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/aer-lingus-cancels-summer-flights-to-several-european-destinations-1.4590831
    Aer Lingus cancels summer flights to several European destinations

Airline blames lack of demand and says those who have booked will be offered refunds

Lack of demand now, sure. But in 6 - 8 weeks it'll be much different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

ShineOn7 wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/aer-lingus-cancels-summer-flights-to-several-european-destinations-1.4590831

Outgoing demand yes probably, incoming demand though.. I can't imagine Ireland is on too many people's holiday lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

I feel awful for the airline industry and indeed the tourism sector as a whole. Our ridiculously slow approach to opening up is killing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Outgoing demand yes probably, incoming demand though.. I can't imagine Ireland is on too many people's holiday lists.

Good point

I wasn't factoring in tourists coming here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It isn't even that it is 100% confirmed that Ireland will open up on July 19th. Given the government's conservatism I can see why airlines would go with much more sure things elsewhere rather than risk that date being pushed back further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It isn't even that it is 100% confirmed that Ireland will open up on July 19th. Given the government's conservatism I can see why airlines would go with much more sure things elsewhere rather than risk that date being pushed back further.

Source for is not opening on July 19?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Source for is not opening on July 19?

Basically every government document and prepared statement. I didn't say that the country isn't opening but it isn't 100% confirmed.

The reopening of international travel is always caveated with things like 'subject to the prevailing public health situation'.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Klonker wrote: »
    Will PCR test on return not he needed for the unvaccinated?

EU green cert program requires PCR test for those unvaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

a little experience this morning from dublin airport. flew 8 am to vienna with ryanair, came to the airport around 5:40 am by bus eireann. bus dropped people at terminal 2, I walked outside the terminal to T1 arrivals level, went through the glass doors and in porch was one lady.. asked her if she wants to see my boarding pass, she said no.. just told me to take elevator, as escalators were not working. went to level 1 departures at 5:45 am and there were 2 garda desks on the right, and some passport check or something on the left. However, absolutely empty and not a single garda sitting there, so passed by without explaining myself to anyone why I fly. the rest is pretty much the same, scan boarding pass at automatic gate, go through empty security, and only a few shops and duty free open. starbucks and whole level 1 in food area was inaccessible. negative covid test not needed as there is a possibility to fly without one, only requirement is to make one in austria within 24 hrs (antigen is sufficient and free at some places).

I was actually a bit anxious of the whole airport procedure, but it was very lax and nobody really cared about anyting. ryanair didn't bother to check what kind of documents you upload to boarding pass either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 NewRomantics

For anyone wondering, flew to Spain this morning from Dublin Airport with no issue. I got Dublin Bus there, I think there was a Garda checkpoint at the departures entrance but the bus just flew past so I didn't get a proper look. Walked into T1 with no issues at all. I had booked Fast Track as an extra precaution based on advice here (but to be honest probably shouldn't have bothered, place was so quiet).

Ryanair checked my Spanish government form before boarding, and they checked it again in Alicante airport. Otherwise no checks, and no Garda checks at all thankfully (although I think coming in on the bus definitely helped).

Sad to see both Butlers and Starbucks closed in the airport though, was looking for a nice coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Do you think in 8 short weeks much will have changed regarding nPHEt and it’s messaging regarding travel?

No sane tourist would consider Ireland as a holiday destination for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Don’t want to depress anyone, but this is grim

https://mobile.twitter.com/CarolineMantl/status/1403347506633846784

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Valhallapt wrote: »

Appalling. Why are no media outlets reporting or questioning this?. This is really worrying about how our society is now seeing this as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Tazz T wrote: »
    Appalling. Why are no media outlets reporting or questioning this?. This is really worrying about how our society is now seeing this as normal.

100%

In Ireland, we have gone a long way down a dangerous rabbit hole that’s hard to climb out of

Why are no media reporting the opinion of one person that provides no evidence in support of said opinion other than being asked a question that is routinely asked by immigration the world over?
    Sad to see both Butlers and Starbucks closed in the airport though, was looking for a nice coffee!

What's wrong with Marguettes or O'Hara's? Starbucks is ****e anyway.
    I wasn't factoring in tourists coming here

But people that go out must return so once we start traveling again the numbers should increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

How long more can we expect this Hotel Covid nonsense...with the list of prescribed countries?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

To be fair, this thread has highlighted that for the most part the Gardai have been firm but relatively lenient with people, particularly of late. There isn’t a story in this unless it becomes the norm, which I doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Gael23 wrote: »

Ryan will be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Stobart Air were brutal. Beware the four digit flight numbers!

Valhallapt wrote: »

Shame on the Gardaí and the government for making them do it. North Korean type nonsense.

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Ryan will be happy.

That basically means the end of Donegal airport too. Can that be reported on now? Or will we have more fake vague good news stories about maybe being allowed to travel five weeks from now

With stobart gone, more people have just been put out of work than there is in hospital and still no end in sight for the 2k fine.

I suspect after all the post 19th July cancellations from AL, and now this, there will be more announcements to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

That basically means the end of Donegal airport too.

No it doesn't.

There's threads on this in the aviation forum.
    They're PSO routes so government now have to tender the contract to run the service

faceman wrote: »
    To be fair, this thread has highlighted that for the most part the Gardai have been firm but relatively lenient with people, particularly of late. There isn’t a story in this unless it becomes the norm, which I doubt.

I'm not on about this one particular story. I'm asking why is no media outlet is reporting on the continued existence of the fine. It's as if it doesn't exist. It's mindbogglingly

I'm not on about this one particular story. I'm asking why is no media outlet is reporting on the continued existence of the fine. It's as if it doesn't exist. It's mindbogglingly

Not a reader of the Irish Mirror then?

Irish holidays: Gardai fined 266 people €2,000 for international travel in the last two months
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-holidays-gardai-fined-266-24301960

No it doesn't.

There's threads on this in the aviation forum.
    They're PSO routes so government now have to tender the contract to run the service

That's great to know. It'll be business as usual tomorrow thanks to our buoyant aviation industry.

It's gone for the foreseeable future along with all the jobs that it supports.

faceman wrote: »

I’ve a mate who is a member of AGS, he’s dead sound, nearly all of them are. But in every profession and walk of life you get arseholes.

It’s the fear that you get that one bad egg on a bad day who doesn’t want to believe your reason is genuine, that’s made the fear that is holding back families from reuniting.

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »

Emerald Airlines has just won the aerlingus regional contract, probably will just be awarded to them also. Still a shame to see it collapse.

Advertisement