Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I’ve a mate who is a member of AGS, he’s dead sound, nearly all of them are. But in every profession and walk of life you get arseholes.

It’s the fear that you get that one bad egg on a bad day who doesn’t want to believe your reason is genuine, that’s made the fear that is holding back families from reuniting.

Agreed. AGS are by and large an excellent police force. But these ridiculous laws give the a**holes an excuse to come out of the woodwork. No doubt in my mind the states handing of this and particularly excessive trampling of individual rights has caused a lot of damage to respect for the state and for AGS which it will take a long time to recover from.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

Currently in a red list country for work. Traveling to Greece for 12 days afterwards (I cannot do the 14 days due to unavoidable appointment). Is there anyway immigration at Dublin Airport will be able to check that I was not in a green list country for 14 days? I presume not, but has anyone else been in this situation recently?

thanks for any insight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Lumen wrote: »
    Not a reader of the Irish Mirror then?

Irish holidays: Gardai fined 266 people €2,000 for international travel in the last two months
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-holidays-gardai-fined-266-24301960

That is literally the first mention of it anywhere (due to those figures being released). According to headlines by breaking news and the indo this week saying 'international holiday travel is legal', I wouldn't be at all surprised if people thought it was.

Plus the above story is another 'normalising' story. No opinion, debate or questioning. It's normal that Ireland is the only country in Europe that has a fine in place to stop people leaving the country when there are just 60 people in hospital with Covid and no deaths reported at all in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Aer Lingus Regional, operated by Stobart, are gone to the wall. All flights cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pouladuff_goal

Currently in a red list country for work. Traveling to Greece for 12 days afterwards (I cannot do the 14 days due to unavoidable appointment). Is there anyway immigration at Dublin Airport will be able to check that I was not in a green list country for 14 days? I presume not, but has anyone else been in this situation recently?

thanks for any insight

They could look at your passport for stamps. Otherwise hard to know.

You would be committing a serious offence though by not filling in the passenger locator form correctly. If caught....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

Tazz T wrote: »
    That is literally the first mention of it anywhere (due to those figures being released). According to headlines by breaking news and the indo this week saying 'international holiday travel is legal', I wouldn't be at all surprised if people thought it was.

Plus the above story is another 'normalising' story. No opinion, debate or questioning. It's normal that Ireland is the only country in Europe that has a fine in place to stop people leaving the country when there are just 60 people in hospital with Covid and no deaths reported at all in June.

A bit like the reporting of the Vincent McMorrow concert where it was somehow a fantastic thing the people could attend an outdoor concert in roped off pens. Pure propaganda not unlike something you would see on Russia Today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus Regional, operated by Stobart, are gone to the wall. All flights cancelled.

Eamon Ryan : "What's this now..??"

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's completely normal to separate news, editorial and opinion. That's how newspapers have always operated, at least as far back as I can remember. Even tabloids.

It's completely normal to separate news, editorial and opinion. That's how newspapers have always operated, at least as far back as I can remember. Even tabloids.

As a professional copywriter and journalist, I'm completely aware of that. I also know they're commonly used to disseminate pro-government propaganda as well.

This is the actual headline from Breaking News last week:

'No longer illegal to holiday': Vaccine passports passed by European Parliament

So it's no longer illegal to holiday????

I just don't see any discussion on the blatantly disproportionate 2k fine for non-essential travel still being in effect at this stage in the game while hundreds are losing their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 northcider85

Planning on traveling from Belfast to Malaga soon (before July 19th). Will Spain / Ryanair require a test from me? I'm not sure who's rules I fall under? Is it Spanish rules for the UK i.e. no test required?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

As a professional copywriter and journalist, I'm completely aware of that. I also know they're commonly used to disseminate pro-government propaganda as well.

This is the actual headline from Breaking News last week:

'No longer illegal to holiday': Vaccine passports passed by European Parliament

So it's no longer illegal to holiday????

I just don't see any discussion on the blatantly disproportionate 2k fine for non-essential travel still being in effect at this stage in the game while hundreds are losing their jobs.

Breaking News is complete garbage.

I'm sure you know this, as a professional copywriter and journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I’ve a mate who is a member of AGS, he’s dead sound, nearly all of them are. But in every profession and walk of life you get arseholes.

It’s the fear that you get that one bad egg on a bad day who doesn’t want to believe your reason is genuine, that’s made the fear that is holding back families from reuniting.

And on the off-chance you meet a gardai who is not 'sound' you can appeal any fine where there is a genuine reason for travel

Yeah and everyone going on about heading of on their holidays "are families reuniting" :rolleyes:

It's not like we don't have a date when travel is restarting now is it?

Reckon you can put down the violin now - its starting to sound squeaky...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

thanks for any insight
    No reason why they would know your travel history. Is your passport stamped from the Red List country?
    If your flight is Greece to Ireland then that's all they know.

Thats one of the major flaws with our 3 month old MHQ policy. You are relying on the arrivals to be fully honest with the immigration officers and in filling in the passenger locator form.

Planning on traveling from Belfast to Malaga soon (before July 19th). Will Spain / Ryanair require a test from me? I'm not sure who's rules I fall under? Is it Spanish rules for the UK i.e. no test required?

Spain changed their rules last week so that rapid tests (antigen) are sufficient.
    Your flight is UK-Spain so those are the jurisdictions you fall under.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 northcider85

Tenger wrote: »
    Spain changed their rules last week so that rapid tests (antigen) are sufficient.
    Your flight is UK-Spain so those are the jurisdictions you fall under.

I thought that all UK flights were allowed in with no testing? I'll definitely be getting an antigen test anyway to be sure but wasn't 100% on this point

I thought that all UK flights were allowed in with no testing? I'll definitely be getting an antigen test anyway to be sure but wasn't 100% on this point
    Apologies.
    I should have qualified my post by saying that I hadn't checked the UK --> Spain rules.

I was just happy to see that Spain didn't need a PCR travelling from Ireland anymore. Myself and the gang might get to visit there next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

gozunda wrote: »
    And on the off-chance you meet a gardai who is not 'sound' you can appeal any fine where there is a genuine reason for travel

Yeah and everyone going on about heading of on their holidays "are families reuniting" :rolleyes:

It's not like we don't have a date when travel is restarting now is it?

Reckon you can put down the violin now - its starting to sound squeaky...

Ireland’s travel rules are an affront to democracy.

When the music stops it means we’ve become North Korea and I’ve fallen out of a window.

Breaking News is complete garbage.

I'm sure you know this, as a professional copywriter and journalist.

Yes, which is why it's such as perfect example. Point?

Ireland’s travel rules are an affront to democracy.

When the music stops it means we’ve become North Korea and I’ve fallen out of a window.

Yeah so you've claimed :rolleyes:
    Its getting a bit boring at this stage tbf.

But according to your logic - that there may be the occasional gardai who might not be 'sound' - that makes us equivalent of "North Korea"?

What window did you fall out of btw? Hope you are ok. Easy to get a bad knock doing things like that.

Yeah so you've claimed :rolleyes:
    Its getting a bit boring at this stage tbf.

But according to your logic - that there may be the occasional gardai who might not be 'sound' - that makes us equivalent of "North Korea"?

What window did you fall out of btw? Hope you are ok. Easy to get a bad knock doing things like that.

List the functional democracies that fine people for going to an airport with the intention of doing something that government actors may choose to deem to be non essential. Its orwellian.

List the functional democracies that fine people for going to an airport with the intention of doing something that government actors may choose to deem to be non essential. Its orwellian.

List the North Korean style dictatorships that allow free speech against the Govt, (which you are currently partaking in) that allow the people to travel around the country with ID papers etc

• Advertisement

List the North Korean style dictatorships that allow free speech against the Govt, (which you are currently partaking in) that allow the people to travel around the country with ID papers etc

This is a thread about travel, i'll keep it on track. We have the most extreme restrictions on travel in the European Union. From a travel perspective, Ireland looks like a hermit dictatorship led by Tony Holohan.

This is a thread about travel, i'll keep it on track. We have the most extreme restrictions on travel in the European Union. From a travel perspective, Ireland looks like a hermit dictatorship led by Tony Holohan.

"I'll keep in on track"......
    then goes off on a tinfoil rant about Tony Holohan and dictatorship.

Our travel restrictions are very much out of step with our EU partners and have had serious economic consequences. We need to introduce rapid testing on all arrivals and public gatherings.
    But ranting about North Korea just makes you appear like a loony.

"I'll keep in on track"......
    then goes off on a tinfoil rant about Tony Holohan and dictatorship.

Our travel restrictions are very much out of step with our EU partners and have had serious economic consequences. We need to introduce rapid testing on all arrivals and public gatherings.
    But ranting about North Korea just makes you appear like a loony.

Yea well I probably have gone a bit loony. But I just totally reject that we should accept having travel limited in this way. It's not the same everywhere else, Ireland is an extreme outlier, there is no justification for it.

Ah so we've moved from Kim Yong-Un to Geroge Orwell? Well done ;)

Would you prefer the Norway model which shut their borders? Or the UK which made travel illegal for its citizens or do you mean that different countries imposed different measures to reduce travel during the pandemic?

But do list the countries that have brought in temporary travel restrictions due to the current pandemic in order to discourage non essential travel and help keep down the rate of infection. But fuq that right? Something something "North Korea" ...

That said even then there are many exceptions for travel with all essential travel being permitted.

Yeah and guess what - we already know when all travel is restarting albeit with some continued international restrictions including testing and health related passports and that includes destination countries not just little old us.

Ah so we've moved from Kim Yong-Un to Geroge Orwell? Well done ;)

Would you prefer the Norway model which shut their borders? Or the UK which made travel illegal for its citizens or do you mean that different countries imposed different measures to reduce travel during the pandemic?

But do list the countries that have brought in temporary travel restrictions due to the current pandemic in order to discourage non essential travel and help keep down the rate of infection. But fuq that right? Something something "North Korea" ...

That said even then there are many exceptions for travel with all essential travel being permitted.

Yeah and guess what - we already know when all travel is restarting albeit with some continued international restrictions including testing and health related passports and that includes destination countries not just little old us.

I asked you to

List the functional democracies that fine people for going to an airport with the intention of doing something that government actors may choose to deem to be non essential.

instead you went on a rant defending the draconian fines, and comparing them to completely different set of restrictions.

Am I to assume the list of countries that fines its people for going to the airport is empty?

I asked you to List the functional democracies that fine people for going to an airport with the intention of doing something that government actors may choose to deem to be non essential.instead you went on a rant defending the draconian fines, and comparing them to completely different set of restrictions.Am I to assume the list of countries that fines its people for going to the airport is empty?

Lol. You go on about Orwell and North Korea and yet accuse others of having a rant :D:D:D

Yeah I saw your deflection to the previous comment - but you may want to check where I asked you to clarify your 'question' but funnily enough you ignored that. ..

You also ignored that travel restrictions are 'emergency measures" to reduce non essential travel" to help keep down the rate of infection.

But hey no matter - its just a feking Pandemic and all countries have to have the exact same restrictions right?

So maybe you could answer a proper question ...
    do list the countries that have brought in temporary travel restrictions due to the current pandemic in order to discourage non essential travel and help keep down the rate of infection ...

If you can't do that. I'd suggest you'd be best put your argument on a postcard and send it to the UN or somewhere. I think they have a file specifically for that type of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tower89

Flying one way Ryanair Belfast - Spain end of June - From what I am reading I dont think any tests are required so I am not bothering with pcr/antigen - fingers crossed. Going to come back end of July through Dublin. Cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Just to add my experience of the airport if anyone's interested.

Flew out of Dublin Airport this morning. I arrived at T1 by taxi at 6.45am. There were no guards stationed outside on approach to the terminal and there were no guards at security either so I was not questioned at all for my reason for travelling. This seems to back up what others have said, that the guards only start at 7am or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

It's crazy that I'm here thinking this. I want to leave the county, my reasons are my own, it's my personal choice, I have to pass a garda security force in an airport, and if he decides that my reason for leaving is not good enough, he will fine me €2000, and we have people in the country that not only think this is ok, but want more stricter sanctions and more restrictions. God we really have gone off the deep end. Let's see if this is removed on the 19th, I for one do not think so.

• Advertisement

Santan wrote: »
    It's crazy that I'm here thinking this. I want to leave the county, my reasons are my own, it's my personal choice, I have to pass a garda security force in an airport, and if he decides that my reason for leaving is not good enough, he will fine me €2000, and we have people in the country that not only think this is ok, but want more stricter sanctions and more restrictions. God we really have gone off the deep end. Let's see if this is removed on the 19th, I for one do not think so.

Sorry but it's nothing to do with whether your reason is 'good enough'
    There's no such thing as a Garda security force either.......
    There is a list, a very extensive list, of reasons why your travel is necessary, maybe you should just read it?

Advertisement