Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pouladuff_goal

Just go airside before 7am which is when the Airport Garda station opens or wait until July 19th
    Keep washing your teeth

I travelled for work a few weeks back (6am flight) and was questioned before 5am just before scanning the boarding pass. The guards were very professional and respectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Currently in a red list country for work. Traveling to Greece for 12 days afterwards (I cannot do the 14 days due to unavoidable appointment). Is there anyway immigration at Dublin Airport will be able to check that I was not in a green list country for 14 days? I presume not, but has anyone else been in this situation recently?

thanks for any insight

If you are travelling from a known airport that is a transfer hub (which often takes flights from the red list) you could be asked to show evidence that you were in Greece for at least 14 days. My cousin had to show photos on her phone :rolleyes:

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I’ll go regardless. I can afford the fine if I had to pay it.

Because it’s deeply unfair. Many people have families not on this island. We are the only part of the European Union that fines fully vaccinated families for reuniting, if they go via a port, many can’t afford the fine. Only country in Europe. But every time someone get on this thread to discuss work around they are branded a criminal or told its like that everywhere, it’s not.

The last flight I took was leaving my boyfriend in Finland. Finland's restrictions meant that no non essential travel was allowed in.

All my family live in the UK, my mother hasn't seen her family in 18 months, her brother in a nursing home is unbelievably worse with dementia then he would have been if he was allowed visitors, he knows no-one now.

My best friends father in law died in Australia, her husband was not allowed in without quarantine, he would not have been in time to see his father before he died, he did not travel. He did not see his father, he did not attend his funeral and he hasn't seen his family since it happened.

There were/are restrictions everywhere. That is what happened because of a worldwide pandemic.
    Yeah, it's unfair, the pandemic is unfair. Stop with your faux concern for people who haven't seen their family. Everyone has hardship. The government's job was doing their best for the majority, same as every other country.
    I'm not a fan of lockdowns, neither do I believe gardai should have been used for a health emergency.
    It is, it was, what it is/was.

You're going to your holiday home, you and your family will get your summer holiday in the sun, you can afford the fine, according to yourself, so forgive me if I think you're just a moany hole with feck all to feel bad about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

It wasn't in November 19 last time I was there
    When did it start to open 24/7 ?

Its not, he's just talking ****e or talking about the airport police who have nothing to do with this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Is there any talk of this 'red list' business being done away with? I'm living in a 'red list' country and need to get back to Ireland to see family.
    Are there any countries in Europe that don't require a PCR test on entry?

• Advertisement

Its not, he's just talking ****e or talking about the airport police who have nothing to do with this

Public desk may not be open, gardai still work. He is not talking about airport police

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

I want to

seek essential medical, health or dental assistance

By visiting magaluf and getting prices for a tooth filling. Do I need to provide proof to the gardai that I am “seeking” such assistance, how do I do that?, what if my seek is unsuccessful and I don’t get the dental assistance??

I left Ireland 2 weeks ago to a red list country for work. The gardai asked me why I was going, I said work and he waved me on; didn't ask to see the letter. The only people being asked for 'proof' were those who looked like they were going on holidays - so if you do travel in a group to Spain, for example, walk through on your own, and dress like you are going for a business meeting.

According to the Irish Mirror 100's have been fined the €2000 in the past few weeks

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/what-gardai-checking-dublin-airport-24303630

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

py2006 wrote: »
    If you are travelling from a known airport that is a transfer hub (which often takes flights from the red list) you could be asked to show evidence that you were in Greece for at least 14 days. My cousin had to show photos on her phone :rolleyes:

Interesting, thanks for feedback. Yes, my passport is stamped from the red list country (Turkey), but have come in twice in the past year and they did nothing more than a cursory glance of my passport. Probably not worth the risk - will look at Belfast instead.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Public desk may not be open, gardai still work. He is not talking about airport police

Is the Garda station down from the arrivals to the right outside a real Garda station or airport police?
    I know it doesn't open until 7am as I had to wait for it to open coming in off a flight that arrived at 530
    Interestingly that day,the person at the immigration desk was in a Garda uniform with the 2 capital letters and number on the shoulder,that was the 1st week of November 19 which is why I was so sceptical the other week that they are never there

• Advertisement

Is the Garda station down from the arrivals to the right outside a real Garda station or airport police?
    I know it doesn't open until 7am as I had to wait for it to open coming in off a flight that arrived at 530
    Interestingly that day,the person at the immigration desk was in a Garda uniform with the 2 capital letters and number on the shoulder,that was the 1st week of November 19 which is why I was so sceptical the other week that they are never there

The garda station is to the left as you're leaving from arrivals /departures.
    Down to right of arrivals is airport police.
    Immigration are not now gardai in uniform, usually. Even if they were, immigration are not stationed at Dublin airport garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

Sorry but it's nothing to do with whether your reason is 'good enough'
    There's no such thing as a Garda security force either.......
    There is a list, a very extensive list, of reasons why your travel is necessary, maybe you should just read it?

I gather from some of the posts you are a garda and I in no way want to seem that my post was in any way to suggest any slight on the garda as I know that they have a job to do if they agree with the restrictions or not, it's their responsibility to enforce it. This is the situation in many counties not just Ireland, however this does not make it any easier for an Irish citizen to understand why they cannot leave the country and why this choice comes down to a member of the garda and what he may determine what may be a valid reason to him or not. Please do not tell me that this does not even in the slightest way seem like a step back in time to a Berlin wall esque mind frame, when your movement depends solely on the opinion of a state security employee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

What has EI cancelling flights after the 19th going to do with Stobart going bang ??

This is getting off topic, there's threads in the aviation forum discussing this

It’s the same company impacted, Aer Lingus. Financially airlines are in huge difficulty. How is this not relevant to travel and Covid? People are making bookings and taking a risk on that.
    The mod can decide if my posts are off topic or not.

Santan wrote: »
    I gather from some of the posts you are a garda and I in no way want to seem that my post was in any way to suggest any slight on the garda as I know that they have a job to do if they agree with the restrictions or not, it's their responsibility to enforce it. This is the situation in many counties not just Ireland, however this does not make it any easier for an Irish citizen to understand why they cannot leave the country and why this choice comes down to a member of the garda and what he may determine what may be a valid reason to him or not. Please do not tell me that this does not even in the slightest way seem like a step back in time to a Berlin wall esque mind frame, when your movement depends solely on the opinion of a state security employee

Give me a break.
    Gardai are also citizens.
    There are/were restrictions everywhere. They have restricted everyone.
    Gardai decide everyday on lots of laws.
    If you have a problem with the law, which is your right, all of ours right, then government is where you need to direct your complaints.
    We have all suffered from travel restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

It’s the same company impacted, Aer Lingus. Financially airlines are in huge difficulty. How is this not relevant to travel and Covid? People are making bookings and taking a risk on that.
    The mod can device if my posts are off topic or not.

Yep, an article on RTE states their flights were down 94% since the pandemic. I know they were in trouble before covid but a 94% decrease in flights is going to have an impact too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Give me a break.
    Gardai are also citizens.
    There are/were restrictions everywhere. They have restricted everyone.
    Gardai decide everyday on lots of laws.
    If you have a problem with the law, which is your right, all of ours right, then government is where you need to direct your complaints.
    We have all suffered from travel restrictions.

If I am driving through a 60KM zone at 70km, the gardai may pull me over, I can tell them I am in a hurry to a hospital, they can choose to use their discretion and believe me or not. Thats the way it works and everyone understands and accepts that.

However if the sign says "take her handy" and I'm doing 37KM, the gardai pull me over, its not discretion they exercise, but judgement. That, in the wrong hands is dangerous.

If the laws were to take a PCR test on entry, it would be hard to argue against it, but when people are leaving the country it seems to be completely illogical.

When we had no inter-county travel, we were all treated the same, but now we have xenophobic laws, you can get a bus to Fermanagh but not a plane to Berlin. A fundamental right of the EU withheld without any basis in science, completely at odds with the rest of the Union. In every other part of the EU I can board a plane from one county to the next without being fined.

The last flight I took was leaving my boyfriend in Finland. Finland's restrictions meant that no non essential travel was allowed in.

All my family live in the UK, my mother hasn't seen her family in 18 months, her brother in a nursing home is unbelievably worse with dementia then he would have been if he was allowed visitors, he knows no-one now.

My best friends father in law died in Australia, her husband was not allowed in without quarantine, he would not have been in time to see his father before he died, he did not travel. He did not see his father, he did not attend his funeral and he hasn't seen his family since it happened.

There were/are restrictions everywhere. That is what happened because of a worldwide pandemic.
    Yeah, it's unfair, the pandemic is unfair. Stop with your faux concern for people who haven't seen their family. Everyone has hardship. The government's job was doing their best for the majority, same as every other country.
    I'm not a fan of lockdowns, neither do I believe gardai should have been used for a health emergency.
    It is, it was, what it is/was.

You're going to your holiday home, you and your family will get your summer holiday in the sun, you can afford the fine, according to yourself, so forgive me if I think you're just a moany hole with feck all to feel bad about.

Again.

Ryanair were offering to repatriate stranded passengers. Transport minister should be making contact.

Considering the frequency that Ryanair have a sale and then cancel the flights, Michael might be best shutting up on this one

If I am driving through a 60KM zone at 70km, the gardai may pull me over, I can tell them I am in a hurry to a hospital, they can choose to use their discretion and believe me or not. Thats the way it works and everyone understands and accepts that.

However if the sign says "take her handy" and I'm doing 37KM, the gardai pull me over, its not discretion they exercise, but judgement. That, in the wrong hands is dangerous.

If the laws were to take a PCR test on entry, it would be hard to argue against it, but when people are leaving the country it seems to be completely illogical.

When we had no inter-county travel, we were all treated the same, but now we have xenophobic laws, you can get a bus to Fermanagh but not a plane to Berlin. A fundamental right of the EU withheld without any basis in science, completely at odds with the rest of the Union. In every other part of the EU I can board a plane from one county to the next without being fined.

Btw, the law doesn't say 'take her handy '
    The law is set out, essential travel is listed, it's your fault If you cannot read it.

Fermanagh is 10 miles from my.home town, would you suggest that we should travel to Kerry more than Fermanagh??

Did you miss the part of my post where I stated Finland did not allow.non essential travel into.their country?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NewRomantics

Why are no media reporting the opinion of one person that provides no evidence in support of said opinion other than being asked a question that is routinely asked by immigration the world over?

What's wrong with Marguettes or O'Hara's? Starbucks is ****e anyway.

But people that go out must return so once we start traveling again the numbers should increase.
    I personally love an oat latte from Starbs but each to their own I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Again.

Again, the lockdown was terrible for everyone, I've no idea of your personal experience, and you have no idea of mine. Those restrictions were once upon a time reasonable, now they are disproportionate and doing far more damage than good. Every other country has relaxed somewhat.

The law is wrong, when they fix it I'll stop moaning about it.

Going from one part of the EU to another is not a crime and no one should be made to feel like a criminal for doing so.

I personally love an oat latte from Starbs but each to their own I guess!

Oh well, excuse me m'lord. As a mere peasant I'll keep to my plain lattes

Going from one part of the EU to another is not a crime and no one should be made to feel like a criminal for doing so.

No one is unless it's too themselves.

Again, the lockdown was terrible for everyone, I've no idea of your personal experience, and you have no idea of mine. Those restrictions were once upon a time reasonable, now they are disproportionate and doing far more damage than good. Every other country has relaxed somewhat.

The law is wrong, when they fix it I'll stop moaning about it.

I only know your personal experience from what you posted here, over And over, about not being allowed to travel to your holiday home, even though you actually were allowed by law to travel for maintenance of housing.

And yet there were EU countries that did not allow non essential travel in. Like Finland, where my boyfriend lived.
    A.colleague of mine, that I worked with in Kosovo couldnt come home at all. He's over there, his family is here.

So, why do you think that Ireland was unusual? It wasnt. The end of restrictions has been announced. It's over, finished, it's a few weeks. Get over it.

Sick of listening to the boo hoo-ing of people not able to go on holidays during the summer, some people have a lot more to be bothered about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Those 2 girls who got surgery in Dubai have been destroyed by the government, they had surgery like? Yeah it's cosmetic but so what? So seeing this it's no suprise people are paronoid about travelling... If we even give a reasonable excuse from the list of "essential travel" like they did: medical appointment you're still not safe from the gestapo

That's the thing. They didn't. It was a fekin cod. They were taking the piss and then some.

And yeah the gardai are the "gestapo" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭hynesie08

gozunda wrote: »
    That's the thing. They didn't. It was a fekin cod. They were taking the piss and then some.

And yeah the gardai are the "gestapo" :rolleyes:

One did.......

hynesie08 wrote: »
    One did.......

Pics or gtfo
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

some people have a lot more to be bothered about.

Yes. Like losing their jobs and incomes from nonsense government restrictions that are no longer effective or necessary. Non essential travel for some is essential travel for those in the travel and hospitality sectors that depend on it to earn a living and who are worried about how they will financially survive the winter.

jellies wrote: »
    Yes. Like losing their jobs and incomes from nonsense government restrictions that are no longer effective or necessary. Non essential travel for some is essential travel for those in the travel and hospitality sectors that depend on it to earn a living and who are worried about how they will financially survive the winter.

Yes.
    I agree 100%
    It's the posters on here crying cos they think they won't get 2 2weeks in the sun in Spain or wherever I have feck all sympathy for their moaning and complaining, particularly when it includes, ' gardai are the gestapo'!
    There are many reasons why the travel restrictions are ****, not being able to go to your holiday home for a couple of weeks are waaaaay down the list.

Luckily, it won't be an issue soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

hynesie08 wrote: »
    One did.......

Hmmm according to news reports of the court hearing they travelled to the UAE, where they were due to but ultimately did not undergo cosmetic procedures...

I haven't seen any other reports?

Advertisement