Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Was the issue about those 2 women about the fact they came from a country designated for MHQ and not about whether their travel was essential or not? They tried avoid MHQ I think which was the issue. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but that's how I thought it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 IRISH HAMMER

bubblypop wrote: »
    I only know your personal experience from what you posted here, over And over, about not being allowed to travel to your holiday home, even though you actually were allowed by law to travel for maintenance of housing.

And yet there were EU countries that did not allow non essential travel in. Like Finland, where my boyfriend lived.
    A.colleague of mine, that I worked with in Kosovo couldnt come home at all. He's over there, his family is here.

So, why do you think that Ireland was unusual? It wasnt. The end of restrictions has been announced. It's over, finished, it's a few weeks. Get over it.

Sick of listening to the boo hoo-ing of people not able to go on holidays during the summer, some people have a lot more to be bothered about.

Re-essential maintenance of housing , we have a apartment in Spain and have had a phone call from neighbouring apartment saying that there is a sewage smell coming from our property. Not been out for 18 months and the toilet has probably gone dry .. we just lock it up and turn of all services , need to get out there ASAP does this count as a legit reason to travel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Re-essential maintenance of housing , we have a apartment in Spain and have had a phone call from neighbouring apartment saying that there is a sewage smell coming from our property. Not been out for 18 months and the toilet has probably gone dry .. we just lock it up and turn of all services , need to get out there ASAP does this count as a legit reason to travel ?

Can you get your Spanish neighbours to drop a few logs?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

Yes.
    I agree 100%
    It's the posters on here crying cos they think they won't get 2 2weeks in the sun in Spain or wherever I have feck all sympathy for their moaning and complaining, particularly when it includes, ' gardai are the gestapo'!
    There are many reasons why the travel restrictions are ****, not being able to go to your holiday home for a couple of weeks are waaaaay down the list.

Luckily, it won't be an issue soon.

Wow but your lack of empathy in your recent spate of posts is just stunning!!

People have every right to complain that they can't travel to their foreign property, can't travel to another EU country, can't travel to see a loved one in another country. People also have every right to complain about the crazy disproportionate laws that criminalise them if they try to travel and if their travel is deemed non essential. It doesn't matter if it will be over soon, it's not soon enough for some people and those draconian laws are well past their sell by date at this stage.

EVERY RIGHT TO COMPLAIN. Here and elsewhere. You need to get over that!!

hynesie08 wrote: »
    One did.......

No, she didn't.

She did BEFORE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Public desk may not be open, gardai still work. He is not talking about airport police

Yea, and dogs still bark and the sky is still blue on a sunny day.

But we're talking about the garda checking on outgoing passengers here about reasons for travel during Irelands restrictions in the covid travel thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Sick of listening to the boo hoo-ing of people not able to go on holidays during the summer, some people have a lot more to be bothered about.

Then what are you doing spending your days on a travel thread? Fair comment if it was the vaccine thread.....

No it’s not explicitly covered. But those on here claiming to be gardai say it is.

If you get an ignorant gardai you could be fined. Totally up to them.

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Then what are you doing spending your days on a travel thread? Fair comment if it was the vaccine thread.....

You may have skipped the posts where I outlined some of my own reasons for travel.
    As many posters here point out, travel isn't all about holidays in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Folks if currently fully vaccinated, what is the deal with travelling within the EU Iflying from DUB0 between now and July 19th in terms of potential fine and the need to quarantine at home on return ?

Same question for unvaxd person, or partly vaxed/recovered from COVID with last 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I’ve know of 2 people who travelled to Spain for this reasons (genuinely) and had no issue from the Gardai.

One of guys house had a water leak. Aside from the massive water (water rates are high in this part of Spain), he had black mould over a lot of his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

dodzy wrote: »
    Folks if currently fully vaccinated, what is the deal with travelling within the EU Iflying from DUB0 between now and July 19th in terms of potential fine and the need to quarantine at home on return ?

Same question for unvaxd person, or partly vaxed/recovered from COVID with last 6 months.

The stupid unscientific rules apply to vaccinated people too currently - so test for arrival and home quarantine (until a further test on day 5)

Incredibly stupid but thems the rules.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Considering the frequency that Ryanair have a sale and then cancel the flights, Michael might be best shutting up on this one

To be fair, Ryanair have been the most reliable airline during the pandemic, especially compared with Aer Lingus, EasyJet and Jet2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Is there a rough date as to when we can expect yo find out if vaccinated can travel to uk and back without incurring a fine or needing a pcr?

You may have skipped the posts where I outlined some of my own reasons for travel.
    As many posters here point out, travel isn't all about holidays in the sun.

I have been pretty consistent, travel isn't all about holidays in the sun. Thats why the law is an ass, it prevents genuine reasons for travel as people are nervous the gardai will judge them to be on a holiday and not essential travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

faceman wrote: »
    I’ve know of 2 people who travelled to Spain for this reasons (genuinely) and had no issue from the Gardai.

One of guys house had a water leak. Aside from the massive water (water rates are high in this part of Spain), he had black mould over a lot of his house.

I have property in Spain and I have two separate keyholders for emergencies.

Lame excuse they surely have keyholders

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Wow but your lack of empathy in your recent spate of posts is just stunning!!

People have every right to complain that they can't travel to their foreign property, can't travel to another EU country, can't travel to see a loved one in another country. People also have every right to complain about the crazy disproportionate laws that criminalise them if they try to travel and if their travel is deemed non essential. It doesn't matter if it will be over soon, it's not soon enough for some people and those draconian laws are well past their sell by date at this stage.

EVERY RIGHT TO COMPLAIN. Here and elsewhere. You need to get over that!!

Oddly enough that's something you've been complaining about here for some time and that despite being informed and now knowing that travelling to a second property is indeed allowed as essential travel.

I note that the above reference to "rights" and and 'draconian' laws but strangely not one single mention of the current global pandemic or the absolute need to keep infection rates down or obligations with regard to public health safety whilst the biggest vaccination programme in the history of the state is carried out.

The Australians were wont to call the English "whinging poms" and perhaps historically they may have had a point. Culturally that epithet seems increadingly much better suited here in recent times.

Its true everyone can complain and we all do so but for "some people" in relation to the current pandemic there seems to be a lack of any modicum of reality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I have been pretty consistent, travel isn't all about holidays in the sun. Thats why the law is an ass, it prevents genuine reasons for travel as people are nervous the gardai will judge them to be on a holiday and not essential travel.

I think a holiday is essential travel. The law might think otherwise but as has been said many many time there is not an exception in freedom of movement for holidays and if someone wanted to challenge a fine one would wonder whether it would hold up in court (might be expensive though).

This doesn't make sense.

ronano wrote: »
    Is there a rough date as to when we can expect yo find out if vaccinated can travel to uk and back without incurring a fine or needing a pcr?

Cmo has been asked to look into it. This makes me nervous. Cmo doesnt like us thinking we can just travel about any time we want.

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1403782246318870534?s=08

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    now knowing that travelling to a second property is indeed allowed as essential travel.

where does it say that in the law?

I think a holiday is essential travel. The law might think otherwise but as has been said many many time there is not an exception in freedom of movement for holidays and if someone wanted to challenge a fine one would wonder whether it would hold up in court (might be expensive though).

OK project the theory of "holiday is essential travel" to where another country temporarily blocks prospective tourists based on epidemiological risk and / or public health concerns relating to the pandemic

Since the start of this pandemic - both EU and other countries have regularly refused entry to prospective tourism related travel from other countries

For example - Spain banned non essential travel for all UK residents for a considerable period. The US has a current ban on all non citizens and residents for entry.

Whilst you may insist on your holiday as essential travel and even mount a legal challenge to that effect (though strangely enough no one has) - other countries may not agree and have every right to tell you to fek off.

What do you do? Stand at the gate shouting that your holiday is essential travel?

Addendum:

Much of it is all a bit moot anyway. From the 17th of July you'll be allowed to travel anywhere for holiday as long as they will have any of our stinky arses :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

At this stage with many vaccinated, under 60 in hospital and no deaths notified in June, there is no absolutely no reason people shouldn't be able to travel for holidays right now. The anti-travel brigade are happy to make it appear taboo. Anyone fingerwagging and demonising people out for wishing to take holidays, after the past 15 months, really need to take a step back and take a good look at their own reasons for doing so.

I have property in Spain and I have two separate keyholders for emergencies.

Lame excuse they surely have keyholders

Thanks for your input. I’ll just make a note of it here on my invisible notepad :pac: :pac:

How many times has the issue been explained in detail and yet you persist with the same old argument?

The relevant section is detailed in the statutory instrument on Temporary restrictions – National measures
    Restrictions of movement of relevant persons in relation to travel from place of residence

Without prejudice to the generality of what constitutes a reasonable excuse for the purposes of paragraph (1), such reasonable excuse includes an applicable person leaving his or her place of residence in order to ...

-(p) move to another residence where, in all the circumstances of the case, such movement is reasonably necessary..

(q) return to the person’s place of residence

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/701/made/en/print

As you've repeatedly you have two places of residence. And as explained by at least one Garda here - such travel is indeed permitted based on the above.

Let me ask you question. Have you been actually been fined for traveling to your other place of residence or is it just a means of irrelevant complaint?

How many times has the issue been explained in detail and yet you persist with the same old argument?

The relevant section is detailed in the statutory instrument on Temporary restrictions – National measures

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/701/made/en/print

As you've repeatedly you have two places of residence. And as explained by at least one Garda here - such travel is indeed permitted based on the above.

Let me ask you question. Have you been actually been fined for traveling to your other place of residence or is it just a means of irrelevant complaint?

I'm not moving residency, so that does not apply. I am resident in Ireland and won't be changing that.
    now knowing that travelling to a second property is indeed allowed as essential travel.
    So where does it say in the law that I can visit my second home?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

link

I'm not moving residency, so that does not apply. I am resident in Ireland and won't be changing that.

So where does it say in the law that I can visit my second home?

Surely these "second properties" are considered a holiday home? When inter county travel was banned the govt went to great lengths to emphasise that included travel toholiday homes (with the gards on the N11 making sure no bold boys n girls tried to sneak off)

Is Gozunda saying foreigntravel is allowed as long as you own the holiday home? Very weird that such a distinction wasnt made during the inter county ban.

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Surely these "second properties" are considered a holiday home? When inter county travel was banned the govt went to great lengths to emphasise that included travel toholiday homes (with the gards on the N11 making sure no bold boys n girls tried to sneak off)

Is Gozunda saying foreigntravel is allowed as long as you own the holiday home? Very weird that such a distinction wasnt made during the inter county ban.

Yes he is again misconstruing the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Tazz T wrote: »
    At this stage with many vaccinated, under 60 in hospital and no deaths notified in June, there is no absolutely no reason people shouldn't be able to travel for holidays right now. The anti-travel brigade are happy to make it appear taboo. Anyone fingerwagging and demonising people out for wishing to take holidays, after the past 15 months, really need to take a step back and take a good look at their own reasons for doing so.

Honestly i think a lot of it is that plain good old Irish begrudgery coming through.

I'm taking holidays in August in Spain and France and im going to enjoy the heck out of it. I apologise to absolutely nobody for that after the crappy last couple of years we've had. If someone else wants to spend time holidaying in Ireland then more power to them. Live your life your way and don't make excuses for that.

Advertisement