Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I'm not moving residency, so that does not apply. I am resident in Ireland and won't be changing that.

So where does it say in the law that I can visit my second home?

Provision is made under the temporary restrictions for maintenance and repair to businesses and places of residence. It is deemed an essential service.

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Surely these "second properties" are considered a holiday home? When inter county travel was banned the govt went to great lengths to emphasise that included travel toholiday homes (with the gards on the N11 making sure no bold boys n girls tried to sneak off)

Is Gozunda saying foreigntravel is allowed as long as you own the holiday home? Very weird that such a distinction wasnt made during the inter county ban.

You were entitled to move residence during the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I'm not moving residency, so that does not apply. I am resident in Ireland and won't be changing that.
    So where does it say in the law that I can visit my second home?

You want the words 'second home" inserted in the SI? :rolleyes:

OK let's do this slowly...

Residency viz. "the fact of living in a place"

Residency legal meaning.

"bona fide residency requirement asks a person to establish that she actually lives at a certain location and usually is demonstrated by the address listed on a driver's license, a voter registration card, a lease, an income tax return, property tax bills, or utilities bills. ..."

So where you have more than one residence and spend as you've detailed - half your time in each - then that's "residency" and you can prove that by showing property or utilities bills as detailed above

You've claimed several times to have two places of residence. And its been already explained by those with first hand knowledge- travel is permitted.

Now as asked - have you actually travelled to your second home and been fined ?

And if you are still in doubt - I'd suggest go get professional advice at this stage 'cos you don't seem to believe anyone

Surely these "second properties" are considered a holiday home? When inter county travel was banned the govt went to great lengths to emphasise that included travel toholiday homes (with the gards on the N11 making sure no bold boys n girls tried to sneak off)

Is Gozunda saying foreigntravel is allowed as long as you own the holiday home? Very weird that such a distinction wasnt made during the inter county ban.

Its what the poster has already detailed

Valhallapt wrote:
    It’s disproportionate to every other state in the EU. My right to travel to my second home is prevented because I am in Ireland. If I was in Any other state in the EU I would be allowed to travel to my second home.
    Valhallapt wrote:
    I see myself as a European citizen. I have a home in county Kildare and a home in county Loulé. I typically spend half the year in one and half the year in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

A quick reference one stop shop website, with latest travel restrictions and requirements, would be great ......... mmmkay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

gozunda wrote: »
    You want the words 'second home" inserted in the SI? :rolleyes:

OK let's do this slowly...

Residency viz. "the fact of living in a place"

Residency legal meaning.

"bona fide residency requirement asks a person to establish that she actually lives at a certain location and usually is demonstrated by the address listed on a driver's license, a voter registration card, a lease, an income tax return, property tax bills, or utilities bills. ..."

So if you have more than one residence and move from one to the other that is moving "residency" and you can prove that by showing property or utilities bills as detailed above

You've claimed several times to have two places of residence. And its been already explained by those with first hand knowledge- and travel therfore is permitted.

Now as asked - have you actually travelled to your second home and been fined ?

And if you are still in doubt - I'd suggest go get professional advice at this stage 'cos you don't seem to believe anyone

Residency basically means who has the right to tax you, the law is very clear on this, visiting a holiday home for less then 183 days in the first year in no way confers residency. Not a lawyer, but one area I am familiar with is this.

I've not travelled or been fined. I haven't gone anywhere in 18 months and I'm cracking up, I #heldfirm until the vulnerable had been vaccinated, didn't travel last summer when it was legal.

As I have stated I'll go regardless of the law. My problem is that it is deliberately vague, confusing disproportionate and completely out of kilter with the rest of the EU.

But I have many friends who have not see their parents in a long time, but can't afford the risk of meeting an ignorant garda, who under this law can issue a FPN if they don't believe their travel is essential.

I am sick of people stating that travel was never illegal, or that there are restrictions everywhere, that is gaslighting nonsense. No where else is fining citizens for going to an airport. You can't compare inbound isolation requirements on the freedom to leave the country. People will happily deal with whatever quarantine routines are in place on their return.

The only reason you post is to shame people about their desire to travel.

We have covid beat, the vaccines work, lets get back to normal. Like it or not air travel will return to normal.

Residency basically means who has the right to tax you, the law is very clear on this, visiting a holiday home for less then 183 days in the first year in no way confers residency. Not a lawyer, but one area I am familiar with is this.I've not travelled or been fined. I haven't gone anywhere in 18 months and I'm cracking up, I #heldfirm until the vulnerable had been vaccinated, didn't travel last summer when it was legal.As I have stated I'll go regardless of the law. My problem is that it is deliberately vague, confusing disproportionate and completely out of kilter with the rest of the EU.But I have many friends who have not see their parents in a long time, but can't afford the risk of meeting an ignorant garda, who under this law can issue a FPN if they don't believe their travel is essential. I am sick of people stating that travel was never illegal, or that there are restrictions everywhere, that is gaslighting nonsense. No where else is fining citizens for going to an airport. You can't compare inbound isolation requirements on the freedom to leave the country. People will happily deal with whatever quarantine routines are in place on their return. The only reason you post is to shame people about their desire to travel.
    We have covid beat, the vaccines work, lets get back to normal. Like it or not air travel will return to normal.

Ignorant garda? Well that's lovely....

But incorrect. You've already clearly stated
    Valhallapt wrote:
    I see myself as a European citizen. I have a home in county Kildare and a home in county Loulé. I typically spend half the year in one and half the year in the other.

The rest of is irrelevant to what you are complaining about. Viz travelling to your other residence where you claim to spend half the year. where you are clearly permitted to travel under the relevant SI. Which makes no reference to "tax residency" btw. Backtracking and attempting to wrap that up in sanctimonious claptrap doesn't help btw.

Lol. But no the reason I post is NOT "to shame people about their desire to travel". Because I’ve clearly stated you have a right to travel. But in this instance it's simply to correct the absolute rubbish being posted.

Thankfully we are.
    :)

Oh and fyi, most 'ignorant gardai ' are merely responding the way they are treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

No mention of U.K. going in MHQ list I notice.

Politics really does talk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

A lot of people getting overly worked up about the guards in the airport and the threat of a fine.

If you want my advice from (mainly 2nd hand) experience, if you don't take fast track and arrive after 8am and so happen to bump into a guard asking your reason for travel, just tell them what they expect to hear (many reasons in the history of this thread) and you will be waved through. Its unlikely you'll get a "bad one" at all, especially if you're reasonable (ie not shouting about your rights etc, even if you are right, they've a job to do etc) but even if so just prepare your essential travel based answers for them. No issue really despite the ridiculous media angle.

Enjoy the holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Just wondering for people who have gone home from the UK, what was the timeline for the PCR test, say the flight is 6pm Friday.
    If you ordered a PCR (the Randox one Ryanair is plugging) on Monday, get it Tuesday? Do it Wednesday, results Friday morning? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Gael23 wrote: »

Probably need to link up with northern ireland to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭Blut2

A lot of people getting overly worked up about the guards in the airport and the threat of a fine.

If you want my advice from (mainly 2nd hand) experience, if you don't take fast track and arrive after 8am and so happen to bump into a guard asking your reason for travel, just tell them what they expect to hear (many reasons in the history of this thread) and you will be waved through. Its unlikely you'll get a "bad one" at all, especially if you're reasonable (ie not shouting about your rights etc, even if you are right, they've a job to do etc) but even if so just prepare your essential travel based answers for them. No issue really despite the ridiculous media angle.

Enjoy the holiday.

abSQ0vu.png

According to the Gardai's own figures between June 1st and June 10th they issued 6 travel fines. Not 6 hundred, or thousand, six. Between every single port and airport in the country. Dublin airport alone had about 15,000 passengers depart in that time period.

So yeah, I would suspect you have to get very thick with the gardai to actually get fined. My anecdotal experience has been telling them any sort of semi-believable excuse just gets you instantly waved through.

(not that I agree with the fine still being in place in any way shape or form - its ridiculous that it is, and its a total waste of garda resources. But people should at least be aware that its not really being enforced, so they're not scared to travel).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yes, it's called the good Friday agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Multiple outlets reporting since friday that they are going to extend the quarantine period for uk arrivals. Government are going to ask Tony H early next week to what.

So test and release day 5 could be test and release day 7, 10...14?

Really buggers things up for people with kids. If you go on a plane you need a PCR to get them back but if you go by ferry to the UK could have a long quarantine on return now too.

I wouldnt mind if there was the option to vaccinate kids aged 7-11 but theres no talk of that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Fuming at the news about potentially increasing quarantine from the UK tbh. I've been fully vaccinated for a while, have flights booked for an essential journey, and managed to get the 5 days off work on top for quarantine. Now I might have to do two weeks despite being fully bloody vaccinated? Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    Fuming at the news about potentially increasing quarantine from the UK tbh. I've been fully vaccinated for a while, have flights booked for an essential journey, and managed to get the 5 days off work on top for quarantine. Now I might have to do two weeks despite being fully bloody vaccinated? Joke.

As things stand, after July 19th you can return from UK with no test or quarantine if fully vaccinated.

Are you travelling before that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The statement from coveney implied that it might not include vaccinated people.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

matrim wrote: »
    The statement from coveney implied that it might not include vaccinated people.

So just everyone with kids then!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

You'll be fine if fully vaccinated.

• Advertisement

Yeah but in reality I can’t imagine many would actually do the quarantine for kids - maybe I’m wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Good- if it means not having another lockdown I couldn’t care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    As things stand, after July 19th you can return from UK with no test or quarantine if fully vaccinated.

Are you travelling before that?

Before, the date can't be changed. I'm fine with the 5 days, I had words with my job and have the time off. But if they increase it to 14 days, I'm gonna have problems

It wasn’t just not mentioned. I believe that MHQ for the UK was specifically ruled out. For all the obvious reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Before, the date can't be changed. I'm fine with the 5 days, I had words with my job and have the time off. But if they increase it to 14 days, I'm gonna have problems

Come back through Belfast if you need to, no quarentine is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Klonker wrote: »
    Come back through Belfast if you need to, no quarentine is required.

You are still supposed to quarantine if you come back through Belfast. Although chances of anyone noticing is slim

You are still supposed to quarantine if you come back through Belfast. Although chances of anyone noticing is slim

The chances of anyone noticing if you come back through Dublin is also slim

The chances of anyone noticing if you come back through Dublin is also slim

Yeah - and if vaccinated I wouldn’t feel as guilty loosely quarantining.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,182 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Wombatman wrote: »
    A quick reference one stop shop website, with latest travel restrictions and requirements, would be great ......... mmmkay.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com

Open the COVID map and select the country you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

They'd like you to quarentine but you don't complete a passenger locator form.

Advertisement