Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

Noel Philips excited again
    This time on Aer lingus Dub LHR and I wouldn't blame him as its a neo and he's nabbed one of the business class lie flat seats
    This video is very recent I think, only a month ago
    No sign of Gardai at the gate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭General Toilet

How soon do you have to complete the passenger locator form before you fly?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Wombatman wrote: »
    A quick reference one stop shop website, with latest travel restrictions and requirements, would be great ......... mmmkay.

This is the European one

https://reopen.europa.eu/en/

And this is the DFA website.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/

It comes with the current advisory up to the 17th of July thatv
    Please remember that the Government Advisory against all non-essential international travel remains in operation

As things are changing on a near daily basis - it might be good to cross reference

Klonker wrote: »
    Come back through Belfast if you need to, no quarentine is required.
    Klonker wrote: »
    They'd like you to quarentine but you don't complete a passenger locator form.

No, they LEGALLY REQUIRE you to quarantine.

Can we stop with the suggestions that the law simple doesnt exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭VG31

Noel Philips excited again
    This time on Aer lingus Dub LHR and I wouldn't blame him as its a neo and he's nabbed one of the business class lie flat seats
    This video is very recent I think, only a month ago
    No sign of Gardai at the gate :D

I think he did that trip last November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

https://www.businesspost.ie/aviation/more-than-500-jobs-at-risk-at-lufthansas-shannon-base-a785f351

First aer Lingus, then stobart now Lufthansa. Economic suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 spanishlad

Hi folks, I am planning to relocate back to my country (Spain) in a few weeks (closed my rent contract and I am currently shipping there my belongings). I am getting stressed on the potential fine if garda does not consider it essential travel, so I have 2 questions to help me decide whether to postpone my relocation until 19th July:

1/ I am a bit confused about the penalty wording: "*go to an airport or port* for the purpose of leaving the State without reasonable excuse". If the garda agent decides it is not essential travel, can I avoid the fine by turning back and not flying? Or the fine is given for being at the airport so no way to avoid it?

2/ I've read some people get the fine later via post. If the garda agent does not give me a fine on the spot, can they send it via post later? If that is the case, I would be concerned that I won't be able to receive any letter as I am leaving my apartment, and can give me a problem the next time I fly into Ireland.

Thank you for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rocky1813

Have just booked flights to Malaga for August bank holiday for a week. Haven’t been over there since last Christmas so really looking forward to it. We’ve also booked our flights to Malaga for next Christmas. I thought the prices are only going to go up so it’s better to book them now. Good to have something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

rocky1813 wrote: »
    Have just booked flights to Malaga for August bank holiday for a week. Haven’t been over there since last Christmas so really looking forward to it. We’ve also booked our flights to Malaga for next Christmas. I thought the prices are only going to go up so it’s better to book them now. Good to have something to look forward to.

I'll be there myself at the same time. To say I cannot wait is an understatement!

BTW nothing beats the Malaga Xmas light display

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

spanishlad wrote: »
    Hi folks, I am planning to relocate back to my country (Spain) in a few weeks (closed my rent contract and I am currently shipping there my belongings). I am getting stressed on the potential fine if garda does not consider it essential travel, so I have 2 questions to help me decide whether to postpone my relocation until 19th July:

1/ I am a bit confused about the penalty wording: "*go to an airport or port* for the purpose of leaving the State without reasonable excuse". If the garda agent decides it is not essential travel, can I avoid the fine by turning back and not flying? Or the fine is given for being at the airport so no way to avoid it?

2/ I've read some people get the fine later via post. If the garda agent does not give me a fine on the spot, can they send it via post later? If that is the case, I would be concerned that I won't be able to receive any letter as I am leaving my apartment, and can give me a problem the next time I fly into Ireland.

Thank you for your help!

If you can't give an Irish address where you live, you can't be fined. They won't send the fine to Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Thank you for your help!

I doubt you’ll be stopped, you’ll definitely not be fined. Your travel is essential as you are moving out of the country.

Thank you for your help!

Travel for the purpose of relocating and moving residence is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

bubblypop wrote: »
    Travel for the purpose of relocating and moving residence is allowed.

What evidence would one give if you said you were looking at properties to relocate to ? Just screenshot of houses you like or What ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Valhallapt wrote: »

Considering there's govt supports like the pup, the ewss and various restart grants I don't follow why these companies are going bust, I mean what are they spending money on?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Considering there's govt supports like the pup, the ewss and various restart grants I don't follow why these companies are going bust, I mean what are they spending money on?

Can't really just shut up shop and pay nobody though. Planes still need maintenance, leases/rent to be paid etc

What evidence would one give if you said you were looking at properties to relocate to ? Just screenshot of houses you like or What ?!

Well, given the poster is a Spanish national, I would think telling them that he is going home along with his Spanish passport would be enough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

titan18 wrote: »
    Can't really just shut up shop and pay nobody though. Planes still need maintenance, leases/rent to be paid etc

Only true if the industry had been completely stopped, which it hasn't been. The restart grants and EWSS should go a long way towards all that

Looks like a grab and run by the industry to me, thanks for paying our way now we're going to leave with your money

That's not relocating. That's looking

bubblypop wrote: »
    Well, given the poster is a Spanish national, I would think telling them that he is going home along with his Spanish passport would be enough

What if he is not a Spanish national or doesn’t have a Spanish passport?

That's not relocating. That's looking

Lock him up and throw away the key

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

gozunda wrote: »
    This is the European one

https://reopen.europa.eu/en/

And this is the DFA website.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/

It comes with the current advisory up to the 17th of July thatv

As things are changing on a near daily basis - it might be good to cross reference

Mods could we have the links as a sticky at the start of the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Only true if the industry had been completely stopped, which it hasn't been. The restart grants and EWSS should go a long way towards all that

Looks like a grab and run by the industry to me, thanks for paying our way now we're going to leave with your money

EWSS is all about getting cash to employees rather than breaking the employer-employee relationship. The restart grant May (or may not) help a small business. They will certainly not help a large business affected by this. Unfortunately for some sectors it will get worse before it gets better.

With aviation, the biggest problem will be the knock on effects for the economy - a new air route is difficult to get and once lost can be lost forever. That is when we will start to have broader economic effects. This is especially true when a country like Ireland has measures which are disproportionate and go further than those in place elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭patnor1011

You cant be serious.
    Please have a look on how economy not just airline companies are complicated and interconnected. If you think you can stop, pause or even slow down for over a year without serious consequences you are in for a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Execute him. Put it down as a Covid death. The first one this month.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Jaysus, you’re out of your depth lad

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pouladuff_goal

A lot of people getting overly worked up about the guards in the airport and the threat of a fine.

If you want my advice from (mainly 2nd hand) experience, if you don't take fast track and arrive after 8am and so happen to bump into a guard asking your reason for travel, just tell them what they expect to hear (many reasons in the history of this thread) and you will be waved through. Its unlikely you'll get a "bad one" at all, especially if you're reasonable (ie not shouting about your rights etc, even if you are right, they've a job to do etc) but even if so just prepare your essential travel based answers for them. No issue really despite the ridiculous media angle.

Enjoy the holiday.

I fully agree with this.

My problem is I am a useless liar and I do not want to lie to a guard anyway.

I also hear that most guards will give you a chance to turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Multiple outlets reporting since friday that they are going to extend the quarantine period for uk arrivals. Government are going to ask Tony H early next week to what.

So test and release day 5 could be test and release day 7, 10...14?

Really buggers things up for people with kids. If you go on a plane you need a PCR to get them back but if you go by ferry to the UK could have a long quarantine on return now too.

I wouldnt mind if there was the option to vaccinate kids aged 7-11 but theres no talk of that either.

Rte reporting now it's going to be test and release Day 10 instead of day 5 for uk arrivals.

It's like padlocking your front door when your backdoor is hanging off its hinges. No test or quarantine needed for Belfast and both uk and Roi travellers can currently go to spain, portugal etc mingle as much as they want there with ROI passengers then returning home from spain with a negative test only and no quarantine.

Fighting a losing battle. Either all of europe deals with the uk the same way or once again ireland making itself an outlier to no real benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭I see sheep

This 'Delta' variant being brought up constantly now in Irish news is pure scaremongering.
    90% of cases in the UK are this variant but it's not causing any surge in deaths or hospitalisations.

It could be test and release after 5 seconds for all the good it will do because its not enforced
    Another meaningles pen brush stroke

• Advertisement

Usual gibberish. Only you are suggesting that in reply to a correct statement.

Advertisement