Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Rte reporting now it's going to be test and release Day 10 instead of day 5 for uk arrivals.

It's like padlocking your front door when your backdoor is hanging off its hinges. No test or quarantine needed for Belfast and both uk and Roi travellers can currently go to spain, portugal etc mingle as much as they want there with ROI passengers then returning home from spain with a negative test only and no quarantine.

Fighting a losing battle. Either all of europe deals with the uk the same way or once again ireland making itself an outlier to no real benefit.

The rest of the eu hasn't got a border or cta agreement with the UK though so on this score it is just us.

It's certainly a losing battle but the whole thing largely is

I fully agree with this.

My problem is I am a useless liar and I do not want to lie to a guard anyway.

I also hear that most guards will give you a chance to turnaround.

A fair attitude. You will find they will work with you and yes, you can turnaround if it comes to that

This 'Delta' variant being brought up constantly now in Irish news is pure scaremongering.
    90% of cases in the UK are this variant but it's not causing any surge in deaths or hospitalisations.

With all due respect, WE are different
    We have 400,000 plus vulnerable awaiting 2nd AstraZeneca jabs who currently have poor coverage against Delta
    Thats not scaremongering its a fact

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

Rte reporting now it's going to be test and release Day 10 instead of day 5 for uk arrivals.

It's like padlocking your front door when your backdoor is hanging off its hinges. No test or quarantine needed for Belfast and both uk and Roi travellers can currently go to spain, portugal etc mingle as much as they want there with ROI passengers then returning home from spain with a negative test only and no quarantine.

Fighting a losing battle. Either all of europe deals with the uk the same way or once again ireland making itself an outlier to no real benefit.

I think you've got the nail on the head. We seem intent to implement excessive restrictions that have no or little incremental health benefit and maximum economic damage. Prof Paul Moynagh was on the radio this morning saying we will not keep the delta variant out and we need to focus on vaccinations and antigen screening including for aviation. So there is another way to approach this. But too many are either unaffected or benefitting from COVID (such as RTE) to see the approach changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,182 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

We have 400,000 plus vulnerable awaiting 2nd AstraZeneca jabs who currently have poor coverage against Delta

So you don’t want to open up the country until what % of the population has received their 2nd doses?

• Advertisement

smurfjed wrote: »
    So you don’t want to open up the country until what % of the population has received their 2nd doses?

I'd let fully vaccinated people fly in
    No change to the country' s opening schedule for anything else
    Just for 6 to 8 weeks or less if we get above 80% fully done quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I'd let fully vaccinated people fly in
    No change to the country' s opening schedule for anything else
    Just for 6 to 8 weeks or less if we get above 80% fully done quicker
    6 to 8 weeks is the end of August and the schools are back again...... so essentially a repeat of last summer

6 to 8 weeks is the end of August and the schools are back again...... so essentially a repeat of last summer

Nope only for those not vaccinated fully
    The UK is way ahead of us vaccinated wise yet see a need there to halt a full open
    Their green travel list is in effect a ban to most of the world
    Except they actually enforce it better

A month btw is 1 million more jabs
    6 weeks is that 400000 AstraZeneca cohort mostly done
    I'll be blunt if that delays magaluf for some,thems the breaks ,I've no pity

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

This 'Delta' variant being brought up constantly now in Irish news is pure scaremongering.
    90% of cases in the UK are this variant but it's not causing any surge in deaths or hospitalisations.

Minuscule numbers of 11 deaths or 100 + hospitalizations in a population of 66 million being bandied about as if these are significant.

The irish need someone to vilify at all times. Last week it was the on street drinkers. Now that on street drinking is allowed weve moved onto the English. Anything that goes wrong in ireland this summer will be blamed on them - just like the ex Pats were blamed at Xmas.

No proof either that the delta variant even has a longer incubation period. Follow the science.

I'll be blunt if that delays magaluf for some,thems the breaks ,I've no pity

Yes because theres no other reason to ever leave ireland other than for a sun holiday to magaluf. Also we were discussing the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

Covid-19 variants increasing ability to dodge vaccines - Scally
    Updated / Monday, 14 Jun 2021 11:11

"Earlier, Professor of Immunology at Maynooth University Paul Moynagh said 140 cases of the Delta variant, which was first detected in India, have so far been detected in the Republic, but said this number is likely to rise.

He said there is a greater role for rapid antigen testing in screening for the virus, in particular for aviation, travel and quarantine systems.

He said there is also the potential of using daily rapid antigen testing to reduce hotel quarantine times."

You mightn't think it but the click-bait headline and Prof Moynaghs comments are from the same article today on RTE.ie. RTE is benefitting massively from HSE and government funded COVID related advertising (they called is a COVID bounce). So when there is any suggestion of a way back to a more normal, functioning society they roll out Scally and his cronies to put the fear up people.

Minuscule numbers of 11 deaths or 100 + hospitalizations in a population of 66 million being bandied about as if these are significant.

The irish need someone to vilify at all times. Last week it was the on street drinkers. Now that on street drinking is allowed weve moved onto the English. Anything that goes wrong in ireland this summer will be blamed on them - just like the ex Pats were blamed at Xmas.

No proof either that the delta variant even has a longer incubation period. Follow the science.

Ah here now,their 7 day average deaths is 9
    That's 63 a week,not 11 total and they as I keep reminding are way ahead of us double jabbed
    Follow the facts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Is this true though? Everyone I know in Ireland who's vulnerable/old has had both doses, and some of my friends in their 30s have got their first.

In any case, the 'Delta' variant has been in the UK since February and hasn't caused any spike in deaths/hospitalisations, and even taking into consideration the better vaccine roll out I think the dangers are being wildly exaggerated.

Ah here now,their 7 day average deaths is 9
    That's 63 a week,not 11 total and they as I keep reminding are way ahead of us double jabbed
    Follow the facts

11 deaths was the figure for deaths in the vaccinated. Its bandied about in articles about how this is a "vaccine resistant variant". When deaths increased from 8 to 11 some media wet themselves at the headline "30% increase in deaths amongst vaccinated"

Even 63 a week out of 66 million is not a significant number.

Is this true though? Everyone I know in Ireland who's vulnerable/old has had both doses, and some of my friends in their 30s have got their first.

In any case, the 'Delta' variant has been in the UK since February and hasn't caused any spike in deaths/hospitalisations, and even taking into consideration the better vaccine roll out I think the dangers are being wildly exaggerated.

The delta variant was 77 cases in the UK in April
    Its now circa 8000 a day being found and it has causes a rise in deaths and hospitalisations there in a country that's way ahead of our programme
    Governments thankfully take decisions for everyone, not just people hungry for magaluf

AstraZeneca was given to over 60's and many cohort 4s and 7's
    Its going to take 6 to 8 weeks to get them done with their 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭josip

Its now circa 8000 a day being found and it has causes a rise in deaths and hospitalisations there in a country that's way ahead of our programme
    Governments thankfully take decisions for everyone, not just people hungry for magaluf

Although they were ahead of us regarding number of doses per 100 people, they are less ahead, if at all, when it comes to protection against the Delta variant.

Why do you keep going on about Magaluf?

josip wrote: »
    Although they were ahead of us regarding number of doses per 100 people, they are less ahead, if at all, when it comes to protection against the Delta variant.

They've 50% + of adults fully vaccinated roughly
    Double ours
    But anyhow I've made my points
    What's decided is decided
    I don't think it will make much difference because it won't be policed
    The biggest difference made is personal hygiene and we're reasonably good at that
    Let's cross fingers that continues and that single dose vulnerable remain careful

Why do you keep going on about Magaluf?

Because thats the only people who leave ireland?

Marine layer, you're on the wrong thread. This one is for people like me who cant wait to get to magaluf. Theres a dedicated thread for people who want to keep the airport closed.

Because thats the only people who leave ireland?

Marine layer, you're on the wrong thread. This one is for people like me who cant wait to get to magaluf. Theres a dedicated thread for people who want to keep the airport closed.

I don't want to keep it closed actually
    I think vaccinated people should have freedom of movement now
    I do think pcr tests should be free for all until we are all fully vaccinated and mandatory pre arrival aswell as 5 days after arrival for the unvaccinated/not fully vaccinated plus track trace and restrict movement for those
    Literally anyone could come in under that regime
    As for not waiting a month or 2 for magaluf,if not vaccinated that's just Rank selfishness in my opinion
    Part of life I suppose

• Advertisement

I don't want to keep it closed actually
    I think vaccinated people should have freedom of movement now
    I do think pcr tests should be free for all until we are all fully vaccinated and mandatory pre arrival aswell as 5 days after arrival for the unvaccinated/not fully vaccinated plus track trace and restrict movement for those
    Literally anyone could come in under that regime
    As for not waiting a month or 2 for magaluf,if not vaccinated that's just Rank selfishness in my opinion
    Part of life I suppose

Can't you see it's all pointless because if people from wherever in the world want to go to Ireland they can use Belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

It’s absolutely not true either

Valhallapt wrote: »
    It’s absolutely not true either

It absolutely is true regarding the numbers of over 60s and illness cohorts with just one shot who are very exposed still
    That fixes in about 6 weeks with the new speeded up AstraZeneca 2nd jab roll out policy
    This is verging on the control the airport thread territory
    Let's get back to chatting about the favourite subject of this one,how to evade the law
    Its probably the only thread on boards actively promoting law breaking
    'Garda I didn't steal the trolly of groceries, Its just the young lad there is in a rush to be at the football so I brought them out to the car with him before going back to pay for them...' type of thing
    Can't you see it's all pointless because if people from wherever in the world want to go to Ireland they can use Belfast?

Versus the number who'd come in the easy route,that would be small bacon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,182 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I flew into 6 countries in the last week, with the exception of one, they would all allow open entry with only one vaccination and a PCR. So forget Magaluf and head for the Seychelles where life is rather normal.

I flew into 6 countries in the last week, with the exception of one, they would all allow open entry with only one vaccination and a PCR. So forget Magaluf and head for the Seychelles where life is rather normal.

Which countries? I've never been to magaluf but it looks ****.

"Let them eat cake"

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Huge demand for the EU travel passes in Germany with websites crashing and queues in chemists to get them:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/14/germans-told-to-be-patient-as-chemists-start-covid-vaccine-pass-scheme

It'll be music to the ears to travel industries around Europe. Apart from in Ireland, of course, where Germans are still not welcome despite having lower infection rates than over here.

Wallander wrote: »
    Huge demand for the EU travel passes in Germany with websites crashing and queues in chemists to get them:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/14/germans-told-to-be-patient-as-chemists-start-covid-vaccine-pass-scheme

It'll be music to the ears to travel industries around Europe. Apart from in Ireland, of course, where Germans are still not welcome despite having lower infection rates than over here.

Heart breaking to see the rest of Europe get on with life and Ireland get left behind, at least i'm outta here in a little over a week. I'm dreaming of the Super Bock...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Heart breaking to see the rest of Europe get on with life and Ireland get left behind, at least i'm outta here in a little over a week. I'm dreaming of the Super Bock...

Does that mean you won’t be posting up any more moaning?
    :P

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »
    Does that mean you won’t be posting up any more moaning?
    :P

I’ll be posting pics of a normal society not living in fear! I only moan at those who are dilusional enough to claim Ireland is not an outlier.

I can do pics of me in my speedos by the pool also. Just send me a DM, €5 each

Advertisement