Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I’ll be posting pics of a normal society not living in fear! I only moan at those who are dilusional enough to claim Ireland is not an outlier

So up will be posting pictures of the Irish on Irish beaches and in Irish parks so?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Wallander wrote: »
    Huge demand for the EU travel passes in Germany with websites crashing and queues in chemists to get them:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/14/germans-told-to-be-patient-as-chemists-start-covid-vaccine-pass-scheme

It'll be music to the ears to travel industries around Europe. Apart from in Ireland, of course, where Germans are still not welcome despite having lower infection rates than over here.

some on here and the other thread are still living in the Paddies day afterglow of Ireland reducing the numbers to 400 to 500 a day which is STILL where Ireland is at now 14 weeks later.

The 7 day incidence in Ireland / 100k is now 46.7 - the most successful self proclaimed country in beating covid, doing vaccines, just being a savage wee island .....
    yet in Poland its 6.2, in Romania its 4.5, Czech 15, Italy 20, Germany 17, Switzerland 31, France 42 - and all dropping rapidly way way way quicker than ireland
    (as an example of just how rapid: 6 weeks ago Germany had 25000+ daily cases, yesterday 450 cases, barely more than Ireland with 16x the population)

The numbers are saying that its SUBSTANTIALLY safer to have someone visit you from Poland than Dublin or Limerick, yet foreign travel is still stigmatised and seen as a critical threat !

Theres a lack of logic in the whole anti travel attitude when the numbers tell a different story.

I’ll be posting pics of a normal society not living in fear! I only moan at those who are dilusional enough to claim Ireland is not an outlier.

I spent three days/nights in a hotel in the west of Ireland last week, I ate and drank, went to the pool, hot tub and sauna, got a massage, and visited well known tourist sites.....
    seemed pretty normal to me, and everyone else that was out and about!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

bubblypop wrote: »
    I spent three days/nights in a hotel in the west of Ireland last week, I ate and drank, went to the pool, hot tub and sauna, got a massage, and visited well known tourist sites.....

Wow... sounds thrilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

some on here and the other thread are still living in the Paddies day afterglow of Ireland reducing the numbers to 400 to 500 a day which is STILL where Ireland is at now 14 weeks later.

The 7 day incidence in Ireland / 100k is now 46.7 - the most successful self proclaimed country in beating covid, doing vaccines, just being a savage wee island .....
    yet in Poland its 6.2, in Romania its 4.5, Czech 15, Italy 20, Germany 17, Switzerland 31, France 42 - and all dropping rapidly way way way quicker than ireland
    (as an example of just how rapid: 6 weeks ago Germany had 25000+ daily cases, yesterday 450 cases, barely more than Ireland with 16x the population)

The numbers are saying that its SUBSTANTIALLY safer to have someone visit you from Poland than Dublin or Limerick, yet foreign travel is still stigmatised and seen as a critical threat !

Theres a lack of logic in the whole anti travel attitude when the numbers tell a different story.

Watch how this will be ignored something something magaluf something something variants something something nobody is stopping you from travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

What’s with the nasty sarcasm?
    Wow... sounds thrilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭eltonyio

Might be useful to someone here - Precision Health in Ballymahon is offering a 20 minute turnaround for a PCR test, €95.

I see Randox is down to €69 now, although is a next day result.

All a pain in the ass, but still, not quite as complex as it was a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

eltonyio wrote: »
    Might be useful to someone here - Precision Health in Ballymahon is offering a 20 minute turnaround for a PCR test, €95.

All a pain in the ass, but still, not quite as complex as it was a few months ago.

Just saved me €40 thanks! Hopefully we see a price war!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

johnire wrote: »
    What’s with the nasty sarcasm?

My holidays involve either far flung destinations (Japan for example) or chilling on a beach followed by a outdoor dinner in a nice Italian eatery... *in Italy

the description didn't "float my boat"

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Is there still a fine for attempting to travel for non-essential purposes? Undersood it was due to expire and thought they would renew it - but the lack of attention in the media makes me think they quitely allowed it to expire - although citizans advise continue to say it's applicable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Are all of those countries listed ahead of us in for shots in arms?

Genuine question and happy days if they are because it means our incidence rate is heading for the same numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭eltonyio

Is there still a fine for attempting to travel for non-essential purposes? Undersood it was due to expire and thought they would renew it - but the lack of attention in the media makes me think they quitely allowed it to expire - although citizans advise continue to say it's applicable.

It was extended into early July but only a miniscule amount of fines actually being given when compared to the 10s of thousands of journeys being made. No fines for departing via the North.

Most guards are very sound and know it's nonsense at this stage, I'd say.

'I'm off to, ehh, see the dentist, guard'.

'Grand so'

Fine was renewed until july
    About 200 issued in the last couple of weeks according to the mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

bubblypop wrote: »

did the same in Galway, paid over the odds for a hotel that had very little stock of anything, had an average bar food menu, had to queue in everywhere, the weather was crap while the east coast was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

siochain wrote: »
    did the same in Galway, paid over the odds for a hotel that had very little stock of anything, had an average bar food menu, had to queue in everywhere, the weather was crap while the east coast was good.

Checked out centreparcs in longford. Pool is shut, no indoor activities but they laughably want 350 a night to sit in a disused an coilte forest.

Heading to spain now with kids for the same price.

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Checked out centreparcs in longford. Pool is shut, no indoor activities but they laughably want 350 a night to sit in a disused an coilte forest.

That made me laugh out loud thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

On a separate but related note, coming back from Spain to belfast you need to demo that you have booked 2 tests (day 2 and 8?) If you are just transitting through NI to Roi do they insist on these tests at the gate in spain or just a negative PCR?

My holidays involve either far flung destinations (Japan for example) or chilling on a beach followed by a outdoor dinner in a nice Italian eatery... *in Italy

my holidays also involve those things, unfortunately I cannot travel on holidays at the moment.

If you have never visited anywhere in this country, could I recommend a few nice hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭Blut2

Fine was renewed until july
    About 200 issued in the last couple of weeks according to the mirror

Only 6 total travel fines were issued between June 1st and June 10th, across every port and airport in the country, according to the Gardai's own official figures:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117412303&postcount=1006

Out of tens of thousands of people traveling in the same time period.

No idea where the Mirror is claiming its data from, but its either deliberately misleading or just incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Are all of those countries listed ahead of us in for shots in arms?

Genuine question and happy days if they are because it means our incidence rate is heading for the same numbers

All the euro countries (with small exceptions) have the same allocation proportionate to their population

The one difference is how you use the jabs you have.
    For instance Germany went crazy giving first jabs mainly because the spacing was longer than ireland meaning you cover more people before having to start second jabs.
    That “advantage” is now eroded as they are stuck doing heaps of second jabs now and literally zero first jabs in most vaccination centres for about a month.

Another difference is that uk and ireland had relatively little in the way of priority groups and the vast majority of jabs allocated by age.
    In Germany and other places there was an amount by age but much more by priority group, whether that’s carers or police or teachers or election helpers or people in deprived areas or high incidence areas near borders or wherever .
    There’s a much higher spread of the vaccine through the age ranges acting as short circuits in transmission among more socially active younger people . It’s less fair, as many make a reason to be in a priority group (aka, lie) but there may be a bigger benefit to society if the incidence numbers drop as a consequence.

Even with a different strategy you’d think Ireland should also see really low numbers soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

eltonyio wrote: »

It will be interesting to see what labs are approved by government to facilitate the green cert when it comes in. I think I'm correct in reading that you won't be able to get a PCR from any provider?

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I’ll be posting pics of a normal society not living in fear! I only moan at those who are dilusional enough to claim Ireland is not an outlier.

I can do pics of me in my speedos by the pool also. Just send me a DM, €5 each

Not sure who exactly is claiming that "Ireland is not an outlier"

I have had drinks in a beer garden twice in the last week, once alone and once with 2 mates.
    Visited 2 siblings as well. Lunch in one house and a barbecue in the other one. Each meal had an additional sibling and my parents present.
    Was swimming in the sea yesterday. Daughter was in town shopping.

What's this "fear" you refer to?

So ****ing what? It floats the posters boat.

What a dickish post

There's not a page on this thread that doesn't keep that info updated. It's renewed until 5th. July.

I believe it will be extended again but I sincerely hope not

So ****ing what? It floats the posters boat.

What a dickish post

Sun holidays in Spain float many peoples boat as you put it also but that doesent stop Dickish posts either.

Looking at November, 529 for 4 nights. Restricted access to pool and have to pay for everything. Yeah right. I hear southern Spain calling

Sun holidays in Spain float many peoples boat as you put it also but that doesent stop Dickish posts either.

Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

A week in a self catering in Tramore last week of July, 2 bedroomed place for €350, also looking at November in Teneriffe (depending on restrictions of course) around €700 flights and accommodation... At least in November I know for a fact that I'll be leaving ****e weather

• Registered Users Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭josip

A week in a self catering in Tramore last week of July, 2 bedroomed place for €350, also looking at November in Teneriffe (depending on restrictions of course) around €700 flights and accommodation... At least in November I know for a fact that I'll be leaving ****e weather

Ah, but Tenerife doesn't have the Metalman and the Guillamene :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I’ve done a family holiday in Donegal for the last 8 years by hiring a 4 bed big cottage , kinda like an annual preamble to our main august 2 week foreign holiday . Price was standard between €650 - €695 for 7 days/nights .

I contacted the cottage owner last night to book the usual 7 nights last week of June. He quotes me €1895. ……….. Not in a month of sundays am I paying that.

I thanked him very much for answering the call and said no thanks. I’ll be making my 2 week foreign holiday 4 weeks this year and probably have change remaining.

These guys are going to ruin Ireland’s tourism reputation beyond repair.

Advertisement