Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Such as?

We’ve had months of condescending posts from some about hollibops and Magaluf and Lanzarote and any other Spanish resort that seemed to be fair game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Are all of those countries listed ahead of us in for shots in arms?

Genuine question and happy days if they are because it means our incidence rate is heading for the same numbers

No, unfortunately it doesn't look like that. According to the EU/EEA vaccine tracker, Ireland is ahead on the percentage of adults with at least one dose:
    https://vaccinetracker.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker-mobile.html#uptake-tab

At a guess, some of the difference could be down to the Irish summer, (i.e. more closed-in heated buildings, more people indoors, less ventilation), and the Delta variant probably isn't helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Checked out centreparcs in longford. Pool is shut, no indoor activities but they laughably want 350 a night to sit in a disused an coilte forest.

Heading to spain now with kids for the same price.

And who can blame you. Spending money will go so much further in Spain also. Enjoy :)

We’ve had months of condescending posts from some about hollibops and Magaluf and Lanzarote and any other Spanish resort that seemed to be fair game.

Not really. People have used those places within the context of travel.

That comment was just insulting the poster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Dr. Em wrote: »
    No, unfortunately it doesn't look like that. According to the EU/EEA vaccine tracker, Ireland is ahead on the percentage of adults with at least one dose:
    https://vaccinetracker.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker-mobile.html#uptake-tab

At a guess, some of the difference could be down to the Irish summer, (i.e. more closed-in heated buildings, more people indoors, less ventilation), and the Delta variant probably isn't helping.

We have a lower natural herd immunity. They had much less restrictions amongst younger people, so they have built up herd immunity over several months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭patnor1011

No holidays for me other than relaxing in back garden as I am not going to be bothered doing pcr tests and walking around with a mask on.
    I do not even try to entertain the idea of holiday in Ireland apart from maybe driving somewhere for like a day trip. To be honest you can get a nice holiday in Seychelles or Mexico for the price most of the "staycation" hotels are charging.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Only 6 total travel fines were issued between June 1st and June 10th, across every port and airport in the country, according to the Gardai's own official figures:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117412303&postcount=1006

Out of tens of thousands of people traveling in the same time period.

No idea where the Mirror is claiming its data from, but its either deliberately misleading or just incorrect.

It used the term,the past few weeks
    Your example is 9 days
    Its certainly misleading to compare 9 days with 'the past few weeks ' which is what you did there
    But take it up with the mirror

Valhallapt wrote: »
    We have a lower natural herd immunity. They had much less restrictions amongst younger people, so they have built up herd immunity over several months.

They would really need to do an antibody check to test natural immunity. Also it would be very strange for countries like Germany that did relatively well in number not to have a higher case numbers and hospitalisations if the virus had been spreading like wildfire through young people before the older groups were vaccinated.
    Ventilation and the amount of time people spend indoors seems a much more likely culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

They would really need to do an antibody check to test natural immunity. Also it would be very strange for countries like Germany that did relatively well in number not to have a higher case numbers and hospitalisations if the virus had been spreading like wildfire through young people before the older groups were vaccinated.
    Ventilation and the amount of time people spend indoors seems a much more likely culprit.

Multi factorial I would think, but we have had some of the lowest infection rates in Europe pretty consistently save for last Christmas. If we didn’t see divergence like this now it would suggest Europe’s longest and most severe restrictions were for naught.

It’s ironic our severe lock down may leave us one of the last countries to get on the green travel list!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

eltonyio wrote: »
    Might be useful to someone here - Precision Health in Ballymahon is offering a 20 minute turnaround for a PCR test, €95.

I see Randox is down to €69 now, although is a next day result.

All a pain in the ass, but still, not quite as complex as it was a few months ago.

If its possible to do the PCR in 20 minutes why isn't it more common?
    Genuine question that is. Do precision health test on site? A 20 minute turn around in the airport would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Genuine question that is. Do precision health test on site? A 20 minute turn around in the airport would be great.
    I would also have questions, I was under the impression that PCR had to be processed in a lab setting, hence the long turnaround.
    Do they have a lab next door to the test area?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭eltonyio

Tenger wrote: »
    I would also have questions, I was under the impression that PCR had to be processed in a lab setting, hence the long turnaround.
    Do they have a lab next door to the test area?

I didn't know it was possible either but they explain how they can on their site. I imagine they only take an extremely small number of samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Several European countries appear to be well ahead in vaccinating younger age groups. I've read of at least a couple (France and Poland) already vaccinating children. I'm not sure how this has happened - perhaps a longer gap between doses or higher vaccine hesitancy has seen them move through age groups quicker. I think this is also helping them right now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

josip wrote: »
    Ah, but Tenerife doesn't have the Metalman and the Guillamene :)

Mmm craft beer... One of the few reasons to staycation :)

I don't know why people do foreign in summer, prices are higher, heat can be overbearing and crowds of people everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭rogber

For those who've returned from travel and got pcr test after 5 days: where can you go to get it? Any of the walk in centres or does it have to be some special place? I'll be in Dublin, northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

From reading their website; the 20 minute test is only available from the lab in Longford.
    For their other sites the results are next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

rogber wrote: »
    For those who've returned from travel and got pcr test after 5 days: where can you go to get it? Any of the walk in centres or does it have to be some special place? I'll be in Dublin, northside.

Yeah you can book your 5-day test on the HSE website or just turn up at one of the walk-in centres.
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/covid-19-walk-in-test-centres.html
    Booking is available at 4 of the walk in centres.

I Thinks this has something to do with the Green cert regulations because HSE are now saying they will do all post flight tests free of charge- you used to have to go to one of the private companies for your 5-day test

Wallander wrote: »
    Several European countries appear to be well ahead in vaccinating younger age groups. I've read of at least a couple (France and Poland) already vaccinating children. I'm not sure how this has happened - perhaps a longer gap between doses or higher vaccine hesitancy has seen them move through age groups quicker. I think this is also helping them right now though.

Yes, some countries are skipping age groups to prioritise younger groups. France is going from vaccinating over 50s to opening up registration to all ages above 18 in what appears to be a first-come first-serve basis. Their death rates are still higher than many EU countries, although we can't compare them to Ireland thanks to the lack of reporting/HSE hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭rogber

Yeah you can book your 5-day test on the HSE website or just turn up at one of the walk-in centres.
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/covid-19-walk-in-test-centres.html
    Booking is available at 4 of the walk in centres.

I Thinks this has something to do with the Green cert regulations because HSE are now saying they will do all post flight tests free of charge- you used to have to go to one of the private companies for your 5-day test

That's great, thanks. And yeah, as it's free I'm happy to do it, knowing I'll be negative anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Tough.
    My holidays involve either far flung destinations (Japan for example) or chilling on a beach followed by a outdoor dinner in a nice Italian eatery... *in Italy

the description didn't "float my boat"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Checked out centreparcs in longford. Pool is shut, no indoor activities but they laughably want 350 a night to sit in a disused an coilte forest.

Heading to spain now with kids for the same price.

Just checked Center Parcs as I was very surprised by that, seems the pool is closed until 18th July which is crazy, especially given their prices there which really put me off booking anyways.

The reason I was surprised is that we're heading to Trabolgan in a few weeks, they're reopening from 18th June including the pool where they have a pre-booked system in place to ensure it won't be overcrowded.

Basically they contact you before your trip and give you your timeslots so you can plan your whole day around that which I actually really like and is something they should keep imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 northcider85

There's not a page on this thread that doesn't keep that info updated. It's renewed until 5th. July.

I believe it will be extended again but I sincerely hope not

I thought that the fine was extended until Nov along with the rest of the emergency power legislation? We know July 19th is the provisional opening date for international travel but the law is November I thought?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

dalyboy wrote: »

I contacted the cottage owner last night to book the usual 7 nights last week of June. He quotes me €1895. ……….. Not in a month of sundays am I paying that.

I got quoted 2495 for 2 adults and 3 kids for 5 nights.

Not a hope in hell was I paying that. Campsite in Spain booked for 14 nights - flights and accommodation for €2600.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Necro wrote: »
    Just checked Center Parcs as I was very surprised by that, seems the pool is closed until 18th July which is crazy, especially given their prices there which really put me off booking anyways.

The reason I was surprised is that we're heading to Trabolgan in a few weeks, they're reopening from 18th June including the pool where they have a pre-booked system in place to ensure it won't be overcrowded.

Basically they contact you before your trip and give you your timeslots so you can plan your whole day around that which I actually really like and is something they should keep imo!

Tropical paradise in Center Parcs reopens June 18th. Center Parcs is expensive, but thank God it’s here as somewhere to go within Ireland. I just hope they don’t go bust long term as it was 300million + to develop - and they were late to open summer 2019. We all know what happened for their first full year of trading - 2020.
    I really hope EU cert comes into force here as planned, it will be another mess by Ireland if it’s not & perceived so internationally. By having more options, hopefully prices at Center Parcs fall a bit and in other expensive staycation areas too.
    I personally cannot wait to see an airport again & some sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 brighterspark

Necro wrote: »

just had nasty surprise reading your post however on checking the Longford park website news section - it states "And finally, the Subtropical Swimming Paradise will be open from 18 June " with booking slots etc in place.

I thought that the fine was extended until Nov along with the rest of the emergency power legislation? We know July 19th is the provisional opening date for international travel but the law is November I thought?

No. The law that grants the minister powers to create covid offences himself was extended.

The actual offence itself is July

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

The delta variant and uk travel has gotten confusing ! So they are talking about hotel quarantine now on your return ? I’m presuming if you live in ireland , you can go home ? ...
    and then no pcr test required to travel from here according to Irish and the Uk sites but somebody told me they flew out last week with a neg pcr test done and other people on the flight weren’t allowed fly because they didn’t have tests done ?? That’s not right at all given it’s clearly stated on the government websites it’s not needed
    To fly back to ireland you need a test taken in the uk and a passenger locator form .
    Why is it so messy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I don't know why people do foreign in summer, prices are higher, heat can be overbearing and crowds of people everywhere

Some people can only work within the dates of school holidays. Summer may be the only time they can do a foreign holiday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Tropical paradise in Center Parcs reopens June 18th. Center Parcs is expensive, but thank God it’s here as somewhere to go within Ireland. I just hope they don’t go bust long term as it was 300million + to develop - and they were late to open summer 2019. We all know what happened for their first full year of trading - 2020.
    I really hope EU cert comes into force here as planned, it will be another mess by Ireland if it’s not & perceived so internationally. By having more options, hopefully prices at Center Parcs fall a bit and in other expensive staycation areas too.
    I personally cannot wait to see an airport again & some sun.

Must have been a typo then because it definitely said 18th July on the Center Parcs website which surprised me as I said.

I think they'll be fine, expensive as they are I wasn't able to get much availability between now and October when I went checking it out last night.

Prices are nuts though, I got quoted a week at end of October for just under 3k :eek:

• Advertisement

The delta variant and uk travel has gotten confusing ! So they are talking about hotel quarantine now on your return ? I’m presuming if you live in ireland , you can go home ? ...
    and then no pcr test required to travel from here according to Irish and the Uk sites but somebody told me they flew out last week with a neg pcr test done and other people on the flight weren’t allowed fly because they didn’t have tests done ?? That’s not right at all given it’s clearly stated on the government websites it’s not needed
    To fly back to ireland you need a test taken in the uk and a passenger locator form .
    Why is it so messy

So far, the official government sources are discussing extending the home quarantine requirement if you are coming from the UK. Instead of being able to test out of home quarantine after day 5, you would have to stay at home for a full 10 days. This would not apply if you have been vaccinated with both doses. Some opposition politicians are calling for mandatory hotel quarantine instead of home quarantine, but the government parties are reluctant to go that far.

Advertisement