Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

Latest is if you've only had one dose of AstraZeneca, then no foreign travel
    Mainly over 60s involved there

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/foreign-travel-ban-for-400000-with-only-one-astrazeneca-vaccine-dose-40539824.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/foreign-travel-ban-for-400000-with-only-one-astrazeneca-vaccine-dose-40539824.html

Not sure that is the latest - thought that has been the case for some time. Hopefully come mid July most will have their second dose.

They should also be able to travel with a negative PCR if the destination country requires that (and some do not).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Dr. Em wrote: »
    So far, the official government sources are discussing extending the home quarantine requirement if you are coming from the UK. Instead of being able to test out of home quarantine after day 5, you would have to stay at home for a full 10 days. This would not apply if you have been vaccinated with both doses. Some opposition politicians are calling for mandatory hotel quarantine instead of home quarantine, but the government parties are reluctant to go that far.

Reluctant as people will just go via Belfast instead. And a good chunk of UK are already fully vaccinated and AZ works against the Delta variant.

Not sure that is the latest - thought that has been the case for some time. Hopefully come mid July most will have their second dose.

They should also be able to travel with a negative PCR if the destination country requires that (and some do not).
    Its poorly researched alright
    No mention of the new PHE data on one dose of AZ giving 72% against disease
    Sure that's better than jaansen....

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

So far, the official government sources are discussing extending the home quarantine requirement if you are coming from the UK. Instead of being able to test out of home quarantine after day 5, you would have to stay at home for a full 10 days. This would not apply if you have been vaccinated with both doses. Some opposition politicians are calling for mandatory hotel quarantine instead of home quarantine, but the government parties are reluctant to go that far.

Any idea on a timeline for when they'll make a decision on this? I've googled and can't find any date for an announcement on this.

Panicking a little because I have to travel to the UK soon, although I'm fully vaxxed

• Advertisement

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    Any idea on a timeline for when they'll make a decision on this? I've googled and can't find any date for an announcement on this.

Panicking a little because I have to travel to the UK soon, although I'm fully vaxxed

Being discussed at cabinet this week
    Eamon Ryan is on morning Ireland in a few moments so tune in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

At least that gives a bit of certainty to those with one az dose who wanted a travel cert., they ain’t getting it. They have to stick with pre departure testing.

My mother is visiting us in Portugal in early July, not sure if she’ll have had the second jab by then. It’s pre the 19th of July so we’d have had to pay for PCR test anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Posted this elsewhere about Irish Media hype but worth repeating.

3 Irish Independent Covid articles in a row this morning about Travel.

1x from Philip Ryan calling for the July 19th return of International Travel to be postponed.

1x warning the over 60's with one AZ jab not to travel.

1x advising that people with one AZ jab won't be "allowed" to travel.

You could not make this stuff up.

I mean that last headline read as though travel for this cohort would actually be illegal (post July 19th).

ISAG all over the media at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

The whole 10 days isolation before test seems to be just optics by the government. Is the Delta variant proven to have a longer incubation period or something? Just the other day HIQA were highlighting how little uptake there was on the free test after travel so I doubt that'll change now its being increased to 10 days for the UK. https://m.independent.ie/news/people-who-quarantine-at-home-after-travel-should-continue-to-receive-free-pcr-test-new-hiqa-report-40523255.html

Valhallapt wrote: »
    At least that gives a bit of certainty to those with one az dose who wanted a travel cert., they ain’t getting it. They have to stick with pre departure testing.

My mother is visiting us in Portugal in early July, not sure if she’ll have had the second jab by then. It’s pre the 19th of July so we’d have had to pay for PCR test anyway

Ryan on morning Ireland just now very vacant on the information
    He expects most 2nd Az doses will be done by July 19th and that they'll get a text in the next week (he says)
    I think he's confused
    No mention of the latest PHE data on AZ which would put it ahead of jaansed...

What he was clear on was the new UK rules are interim untill July 19th only
    Review then
    They apply to unvaccinated only he also said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 northcider85

No. The law that grants the minister powers to create covid offences himself was extended.

The actual offence itself is July

July 18th (midnight) right? Not July 5th as you mentioned in your original post? Clutching at straws at this stage for a Dublin airport trip before July 19th. Fully vaccinated and law abiding but might have to go via Belfast

Klonker wrote: »
    The whole 10 days isolation before test seems to be just optics by the government. Is the Delta variant proven to have a longer incubation period or something? Just the other day HIQA were highlighting how little uptake there was on the free test after travel so I doubt that'll change now its being increased to 10 days for the UK. https://m.independent.ie/news/people-who-quarantine-at-home-after-travel-should-continue-to-receive-free-pcr-test-new-hiqa-report-40523255.html

The idea of the 10 days has nothing to do with incubation
    Its to stop UK unvaccinated mixing for 10 days so there isn't the tiniest chance of spread
    Pointless if it's not policed as no one will do it...
    Window dressing basically

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Being discussed at cabinet this week
    Eamon Ryan is on morning Ireland in a few moments so tune in

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

The idea of the 10 days has nothing to do with incubation
    Its to stop UK unvaccinated mixing for 10 days so there isn't the tiniest chance of spread
    Pointless if it's not policed as no one will do it...
    Window dressing basically

It's 14 days isolation unless you get a negative test day 5. So they must think people testing negative on their day 5 test are subsequently spreading the virus after this date. I don't know if they have data to back this up, if they have they certainly haven't shared it. What we do know is that not many are bothering with the day 5 in the first place and that's unlikely to improve with this dare moving to day 10. As I said, it's just optics to make it look like they're doing something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

This article is staggeringly misleading. Nobody will be banned from travel after 19 July. You may need a test before returning to Ireland if you are not double vaccinated, but there will be no quarantine in any case - unless the government changes its plans and violates its obligations to the EU again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Feria40 wrote: »

How have they been allowed get so powerful...

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Because we have possibly the weakest spineless ineffective leader in modern history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Someone has to fill the vacuum the catholic Church left. Turns out we’re not a progressive outward looking European state that I thought we were.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Interestingly, Heather Humphreys will, from Tuesday, lift the requirement for 14 mostly Latin American countries to obtain an emergency visa before coming to Ireland. Those arriving from the particular countries will still have to do MHQ unless the qualify for an EMEA toon (including full vaccinated status). I support this but I think it’s a bit of an own goal seeing as fully vaccinated residents of Ireland cannot leave and return without potentially incurring a fine. It undercuts any flimsy policy reason which might still exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Feria40 wrote: »
    Posted this elsewhere about Irish Media hype but worth repeating.

3 Irish Independent Covid articles in a row this morning about Travel.

1x from Philip Ryan calling for the July 19th return of International Travel to be postponed.

1x warning the over 60's with one AZ jab not to travel.

1x advising that people with one AZ jab won't be "allowed" to travel.

You could not make this stuff up.

I mean that last headline read as though travel for this cohort would actually be illegal (post July 19th).

Scaremongering in the press today is unreal. Like you say, you really couldn't make it up. The delta variant has been here ages. The blip in the UK is clearly related to opening up. You can trace it back to literally the day and it looks to be levelling off rather than exponential, indicating that it is not a wave.

As for saying those on AZ can't travel, that's is pure disinformation given that those unvaxxed and PCRd can from 19th. Or are they going to backpedal on that too. Right now, I'm looking over at the conspiratory theorists and thinking 'hey, maybe you guys aren't too bad after all'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 nonethepfizer

there is a plethora of conflicting info...

can anyone link me to something tangible for what will happen for arrivals from the UK from 19th July onwards?

I have seen the flow chart for the EU setup, meaning arrivals from the will be either under clear, or emergency break rules...

When will there be an indication of whether the UK will have the emergency break applied or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Wallander wrote: »
    This article is staggeringly misleading. Nobody will be banned from travel after 19 July. You may need a test before returning to Ireland if you are not double vaccinated, but there will be no quarantine in any case - unless the government changes its plans and violates its obligations to the EU again.

That won't be happening. We are already the laughing stock of Europe with our draconian restrictions on travel and rowing back now will not sit well with the EU on any level. It's full steam ahead now. The green cert will be up and running by months end imo.

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Because we have possibly the weakest spineless ineffective leader in modern history.

He doesnt determine who RTE etc let on their screens.

Its almost as if journalistic standard have slipped so low that they dont know how to report on anything else.

We have forgotten how to question anything objectively

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Someone has to fill the vacuum the catholic Church left. Turns out we’re not a progressive outward looking European state that I thought we were.

It does feel like that

Even "progressiveness" feel more and more like a new religion

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

The media still persist in pushing the narrative that the green cert is a vaccination cert. the fact is those with 1 dose of AZ will need a negative test to travel. The headline stating that 400000 will be banned from travel is poor journalism or downright fake news.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

there is a plethora of conflicting info...

can anyone link me to something tangible for what will happen for arrivals from the UK from 19th July onwards?

I have seen the flow chart for the EU setup, meaning arrivals from the will be either under clear, or emergency break rules...

When will there be an indication of whether the UK will have the emergency break applied or not?

I think we can expect more unclarity on that later today.

I'm currently looking at two articles sitting side by side: one saying Astrazenaca is crap, responsible for blood clots and doesn't work against variants, and the next has MM saying 'just hang on a couple of weeks, we've a a big batch of Astrazenaca coming in July.'

Feeling increasingly worried about my July 25th trip to Spain

Why?
    Its after July 19th and the covid passport will be operating

TBH, I think it will be toss-up between travel and the pubs and given the EU's stance, the pubs are probably going to get shafted again. But, CT in me says the gov could let the pubs open and use the corresponding rise in cases (as in the UK), to then ban travel before 19th by applying the emergency break clause in the digital cert.

PS: the emergency break clause theoretically is only non-EU countries, but the lads are grand for modifying the rules (hence antigens being replaced with PCRs for dig cert purposes)

• Advertisement

Why?
    Its after July 19th and the covid passport will be operating

Two reasons
    1. Is I dont really trust the Irish Government to implement it in time
    2. Project FEAR - new variant etc..

Advertisement