Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

DSN wrote: »

So - if fully vaccinated then no pcr or no quarantine? Or still need PCR - but no quarantine or....?

Looks like current situation continues for vaccinated which is PCR and 5 days following free test

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CapriciousOne

DSN wrote: »
    So - if fully vaccinated then no pcr or no quarantine? Or still need PCR - but no quarantine or....?

According to the article on rte you need both. 5 day quarantine, and a test.

"Those who are vaccinated will still have to quarantine at a stated address for five days.

They can resume normal activity after that period if they get a clear PCR test."

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0615/1228167-covid19-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Yes but the EU has given member states that discretion for to apply an emergency break to certain countries in relation to the covid cert
    Which is what I said

The covid cert isn't bullet proof for unrestricted EU travel

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_2121

According to link you posted the 'emergency brake' measure only applies to non-EU countries so member states cant suspend or amend the DCC at their liking targeting only certain EU countries

'When the epidemiological situation of a non-EU country worsens quickly and in particular if a variant of concern or interest is detected, a Member State can urgently and temporarily suspend all inbound travel by non-EU citizens resident in such a country'

josip wrote: »
    Sorry Niner, I'm a bit lost.
    What have the Czech Republics more lax restrictions got to to with the EU not overthrowing Ireland's MHQ?

Its proof that each EU country is allowed set its own defined entry restrictions on other EU countries. Look back over the threads, people were so rightious that the MHQ list was against EU law and would be toppled if the people only filled in an online complaint form. I was scoffed at for suggesting that actually, the EU had no such power and each nation was free to set its own rules
    Yes but the EU has given member states that discretion for to apply an emergency break to certain countries in relation to the covid cert
    Which is what I said

The covid cert isn't bullet proof for unrestricted EU travel

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_2121

and again, its the 15th June and the Czech regulations are not within the cert agreement. Im pointing out that EU countries do in fact have the freedom to restrict other EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I’ve seen this stated a good few times lately, How do you know the numbers doing home isolating is low? Genuine question- I’ve traveled 3 time during the pandemic and have followed the home isolation guidelines each time, maybe I’m the fool for thinking others were mostly doing the same.

HIQA have stated there is poor take up in the day 5 test after international travel. Now some people may decide that the 14 day quarentine is not too restrictive on them but in my opinion the more likely explanation is people aren't quarentining anyway.

• Advertisement

Klonker wrote: »
    HIQA have stated there is poor take up in the day 5 test after international travel. Now some people may decide that the 14 day quarentine is not too restrictive on them but in my opinion the more likely explanation is people aren't quarentining anyway.

Anecdotal but in companies that demand you quarantine, they are not allowing for the reduced timeframe as a result of a second test. The public sector insist on the full 14 days regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Its proof that each EU country is allowed set its own defined entry restrictions on other EU countries. Look back over the threads, people were so rightious that the MHQ list was against EU law and would be toppled if the people only filled in an online complaint form. I was scoffed at for suggesting that actually, the EU had no such power and each nation was free to set its own rules.

The EU quickly called mandatory quarantine disproportionate. Their last statement on the matter was that they were in contact with the Irish government exploring ways to have it removed for EU travel, and a day or two after that all EU countries were exempted from it.

EU countries have always been free to categorise risk, but not in a way that blocks free movement by detaining people en masse without a solid scientific basis for it. They are a bit like a bank manager that hauled Ireland in for going on a spending spree and racking up a 100k overdraft. Ireland could try to argue to the bank manager everyone is free to spend their money however they want as they know neighbours who have just bought a massive TV and a fridge freezer, but the bank manager would politely point out this is true only within certain limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

100% need to get over on the ferry to the UK in mid July, hoping we have something more stable agreed in and in place for this to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I hope that public-sector-14-day-quarantine gets removed on the 19th July. Dithering with that would mean more people couldn't travel which is really what the government want.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

I hope that public-sector-14-day-quarantine gets removed on the 19th July. Dithering with that would mean more people couldn't travel which is really what the government want.

I would imagine it will have to go on the 19th of July. Surely it would go against the rules of the DCC, which says that once you meet the criteria for the cert there should be no further restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Skippette wrote: »
    I would imagine it will have to go on the 19th of July. Surely it would go against the rules of the DCC, which says that once you meet the criteria for the cert there should be no further restrictions.

The uk arent in the eu or part of the cert

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    The uk arent in the eu or part of the cert

Never said they were?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

I have been on live chat all day with Ryanair and still no joy so here's hoping someone has info. Flying from either dub or Belfast with buzz(Ryanair) to Poland. Is an antigen test sufficient or do you need a pcr? Thanks folks
    Edit should have said this is for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Klonker wrote: »
    This page is hard to find on the site https://covid19traveltest.healthservice.ie/hse-self-referral/?flow=travel

Also, you need to organise this before arrival back in Ireland, which some people may forget to do when traveling. If you returned yesterday the site seems to be not practical?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

I have been on live chat all day with Ryanair and still no joy so here's hoping someone has info. Flying from either dub or Belfast with buzz(Ryanair) to Poland. Is an antigen test sufficient or do you need a pcr? Thanks folks

Poland only requires Antigen.

You can actually travel without one and get tested on arrival. But you are open to delays then if the airport is busy etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Latest is if you've only had one dose of AstraZeneca, then no foreign travel
    Mainly over 60s involved there

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/foreign-travel-ban-for-400000-with-only-one-astrazeneca-vaccine-dose-40539824.html

My Mam heard on the radio this morning those with one dose are banned from travel. I said she must be wrong, googled, and that headline came up and I thought oh my god what happened, assuming something had seriously changed.
    - it hasn’t. The media in this country are becoming a joke.

Beanybabog wrote: »
    My Mam heard on the radio. This morning those with one dose are banned from travel. I said she must be wrong, googled, and that headline came up and I thought oh my god what happened, assuming something had seriously changed.

Agreed
    They ran with it on morning Ireland too
    Completely ill informed
    I always wonder when I see things like that,what else is being reported wrong that I don't know enough about to be able to see it's wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Do Gardai have the power to check a property for the quarantine period if they’re extending it for U.K. arrivals? Is it policed? Or is this just showmanship as they’ve been tipped off to the fact that the Indian variant is here & will continue to circulate.
    Incidentally we still have relatively low cases, quiet hospitals re Covid & quite a bit reopened at the same time so we’re doing fine atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Beanybabog wrote: »
    My Mam heard on the radio. This morning those with one dose are banned from travel. I said she must be wrong, googled, and that headline came up and I thought oh my god what happened, assuming something had seriously changed.

So one dosage of Astrazeneca is a no but one dosage of the less efficacious J&J vaccine is good?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Do Gardai have the power to check a property for the quarantine period if they’re extending it for U.K. arrivals? Is it policed? Or is this just showmanship as they’ve been tipped off to the fact that the Indian variant is here & will continue to circulate.
    Incidentally we still have relatively low cases, quiet hospitals re Covid & quite a bit reopened at the same time so we’re doing fine atm.
    A colleague of me was visited by Gardai at day 2 of their home quarantine last week, after traveling in from Belgium - to see if they were still keeping up with the quarantine rules. So they do occasionally check this. This was in Dublin 3.

• Advertisement

The blatant misinformation today from all national media platforms is a disgrace. Astra Zeneca travel ban..? Total lie. Where is the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland? Have they decided to relinquish their role for the duration of Covid? How can respected journalist’s reduce themselves and their careers to blatant tabloid like misinformation.

Meanwhile Germany increasing the size of their jets on Majorca routes, and 12 European Countries are issuing the Covid cert right now. Many US states have announced their big reopening days.
    The lies and extremist views are continuing to get funding from somewhere here, where?

IQO wrote: »
    A colleague of me was visited by Gardai at day 2 of their home quarantine last week, after traveling in from Belgium - to see if they were still keeping up with the quarantine rules. So they do occasionally check this. This was in Dublin 3.

Ok fair enough, so the measure might be worth taking then to slow down the variant. Rather than just optics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Flowras

Long time reader of this thread, first time poster. It amazes me that people across the spectrum have fallen into the trap from media gaslighting, I see a lot of people here getting excited about "Green passes" while forgetting the fact that this time last year PCR tests for inward travel were considered a complete waste of time and resources by most countries. The "green pass" will go the way of last years "green list" thanks to their trump card of "deadly new strains"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Any news on traveling from here to uk, to visit family, no essential reason, would be looking to drive and take the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

So one dosage of Astrazeneca is a no but one dosage of the less efficacious J&J vaccine is good?

Yes. Just the way they were licensed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

Feria40 wrote: »
    Poland only requires Antigen.

You can actually travel without one and get tested on arrival. But you are open to delays then if the airport is busy etc

On return would it need to be a pcr coming back into Ireland (either Belfast or Dublin)
    It's a 4 day trip
    Also yay Ryanair..... Spent the whole day on chat with over 800 in front of me each time only for it to get down to 700 and odd and the disconnect.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

The blatant misinformation today from all national media platforms is a disgrace. Astra Zeneca travel ban..? Total lie. Where is the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland? Have they decided to relinquish their role for the duration of Covid? How can respected journalist’s reduce themselves and their careers to blatant tabloid like misinformation.

Meanwhile Germany increasing the size of their jets on Majorca routes, and 12 European Countries are issuing the Covid cert right now. Many US states have announced their big reopening days.
    The lies and extremist views are continuing to get funding from somewhere here, where?

I've no idea but it's getting out of hand now. All this doom mongering is good for someone unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

On return would it need to be a pcr coming back into Ireland (either Belfast or Dublin)
    It's a 4 day trip
    Also yay Ryanair..... Spent the whole day on chat with over 800 in front of me each time only for it to get down to 700 and odd and the disconnect.

Yes PCR on the way back I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kapu

Poland won't accept any tests from country of departure if you're traveling from outside Schengen area. You have 48 hours after arrival to do PCR or antigen test. You have to quarantine till you get results. That means you don't have to do any tests in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

IQO wrote: »
    This page is hard to find on the site https://covid19traveltest.healthservice.ie/hse-self-referral/?flow=travel

Also, you need to organise this before arrival back in Ireland, which some people may forget to do when traveling. If you returned yesterday the site seems to be not practical?

Cheers, I didn't know you had to book it in advance. I might be wrong but I thought you could just rock up to a walk in centre on your 5th day either.

Advertisement