Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Klonker wrote: »

Cheers, I didn't know you had to book it in advance. I might be wrong but I thought you could just rock up to a walk in centre on your 5th day either.

You can apparently and its free, link was posted here a few pages back

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Any news on traveling from here to uk, to visit family, no essential reason, would be looking to drive and take the ferry.

Wondering the same thing .. but I fly this weekend . I’ve rang the dfa , Ryan air and the airport and they all say to phone eachother that as far as they know no pcr tests are required to enter the uk from here ... I’m still anxious and wondering if It’s best to just get one done tomorrow in case !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Wondering the same thing .. but I fly this weekend . I’ve rang the dfa , Ryan air and the airport and they all say to phone eachother that as far as they know no pcr tests are required to enter the uk from here ... I’m still anxious and wondering if It’s best to just get one done tomorrow in case !

I think that is right in terms of test needed at the moment, I was just wondering about non essential travel and not being fined/public advice. There's no date official but maybe leaky leo or someone else has said something.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭coleen

I had a family member return to Uk yesterday flying from Cork to Stanstead She did not have any test. She did not even have to fill a passenger locator form .

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

eeepaulo wrote: »
    I think that is right in terms of test needed at the moment, I was just wondering about non essential travel and not being fined/public advice. There's no date official but maybe leaky leo or someone else has said something.

You dont need a test to enter uk from here but you risk (a small risk it seems) a 2k fine if your travel is not for an essential reason. So make sure you have an essential reason for travelling in case you are asked.

• Advertisement

coleen wrote: »
    I had a family member return to Uk yesterday flying from Cork to Stanstead She did not have any test. She did not even have to fill a passenger locator form .

This is good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

So quarantine has been extended from 5 days to 10.
    Anyone know do you have to pcr test on day 5 and 10? How much they cost?
    And what happens if you're only home for a week? One pcr test on day 5.then off to the airport day 7?
    Its hugely confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭in2dark

Does anyone know what is the status for flights to poland with ryanair and kids?

More specifically. Wife fully vaccinated with kids will fry dub to warsaw modlin. Do the kids need rapid test 9nce they land? Any real experience please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Good???
    This is good to know

Kapu wrote: »
    Poland won't accept any tests from country of departure if you're traveling from outside Schengen area. You have 48 hours after arrival to do PCR or antigen test. You have to quarantine till you get results. That means you don't have to do any tests in Ireland.

In theory what you say is true about Schengen BUT i know 2 adults who travelled on 2 different dates from dub to warsaw with ryan and both had pcr done here. They accepted them no problem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I would be grateful for some clarification here from people in the know.

Fully vaccinated person (two weeks since last Pfizer jab) travelling to to Portugal for two nights for essential reasons.

Do I need to get a PCR test done in Portugal? I will really only have 1 full day there and the result may not be available. Irish government website says that the negative PCR test needs to be within 72 hours but does this mean I could get one done in Ireland?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kapu

in2dark wrote: »
    In theory what you say is true about Schengen BUT i know 2 adults who travelled on 2 different dates from dub to warsaw with ryan and both had pcr done here. They accepted them no problem...

If you chance it why not to get antigen test instead? Way cheaper and accepted in Poland.

Fully vaccinated person (two weeks since last Pfizer jab) travelling to to Portugal for two nights for essential reasons.

Do I need to get a PCR test done in Portugal? I will really only have 1 full day there and the result may not be available. Irish government website says that the negative PCR test needs to be within 72 hours but does this mean I could get one done in Ireland?

Thanks in advance.

There is anecdotal evidence on this thread of people doing a 48hr weekend on the same test
    Its tight and doesn't allow for flight delays

Panthro wrote: »
    And what happens if you're only home for a week? One pcr test on day 5.then off to the airport day 7?
    Its hugely confusing.
    In my opinion (and that of lots here I'd say) the new and old rules are just window dressing
    The purpose is to discourage as many as possible from coming in the first place
    What those who do come do when here appears always to have been less important as long as the number remains tiny

johnire wrote: »
    Good???

?? Yes. My question was answered.. the Op had a family member fly back to the uk without needing to have a test done . I wanted to know if I needed a pcr test to fly this week

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

Stena Line to launch temporary service from Belfast to Holyhead

'Barry O'Halloran
    about 8 hours ago

Shipping company Stena Line plans to launch a temporary ferry service between Belfast and Holyhead in Wales later this month to cash in on growing demand.

Stena confirmed on Tuesday that it will sail the two ports from Friday June 25th until Sunday July 18th, offering both passenger and freight services.
    "

Belfast is becoming the new travel hub for Ireland. Business is booming, no testing (not even antigen), no checks, no border checks, no hassle. And extra quarantine is going to keep the delta variant out. What a farce.

Kapu wrote: »
    If you chance it why not to get antigen test instead? Way cheaper and accepted in Poland.

They do the antigen in the airports in poland i read

You mean to buy it in ireland? Do they sell??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kapu

If you do test here and hope they'll accept it at airport in Poland better do antigen than PCR. If they don't you'll lose less money.

Wallander wrote: »
    The EU quickly called mandatory quarantine disproportionate. Their last statement on the matter was that they were in contact with the Irish government exploring ways to have it removed for EU travel, and a day or two after that all EU countries were exempted from it.

EU countries have always been free to categorise risk, but not in a way that blocks free movement by detaining people en masse without a solid scientific basis for it. They are a bit like a bank manager that hauled Ireland in for going on a spending spree and racking up a 100k overdraft. Ireland could try to argue to the bank manager everyone is free to spend their money however they want as they know neighbours who have just bought a massive TV and a fridge freezer, but the bank manager would politely point out this is true only within certain limits.

Well, that's not true really is it? The eu did **** all. You can pretend they did but they didn't.

They still haven't. France was only removed 2 weeks ago ffs!

It's amazing how much people will bury their heads in the sand. I have just shown you another country that is still limiting eu countries. Countries that have the exact same vaccination system as they do.

jellies wrote: »
    Stena Line to launch temporary service from Belfast to Holyhead

'Barry O'Halloran
    about 8 hours ago

Shipping company Stena Line plans to launch a temporary ferry service between Belfast and Holyhead in Wales later this month to cash in on growing demand.

Stena confirmed on Tuesday that it will sail the two ports from Friday June 25th until Sunday July 18th, offering both passenger and freight services.
    "

Belfast is becoming the new travel hub for Ireland. Business is booming, no testing (not even antigen), no checks, no border checks, no hassle. And extra quarantine is going to keep the delta variant out. What a farce.

New travel hub? A ferry to Wales for 2 weeks?!?

• Advertisement

Flowras wrote: »
    Long time reader of this thread, first time poster. It amazes me that people across the spectrum have fallen into the trap from media gaslighting, I see a lot of people here getting excited about "Green passes" while forgetting the fact that this time last year PCR tests for inward travel were considered a complete waste of time and resources by most countries. The "green pass" will go the way of last years "green list" thanks to their trump card of "deadly new strains"

Well I'm sure glad you chose this ray of sunshine as an opener. Jeez buddy, glass half full.

In all fairness, wouldn't you have thought to ask the uk about uk restrictions and requirements? They also have an easily found website

Panthro wrote: »
    Its hugely confusing.

Depends on your vaccination status. If you are not vaccinated in theory you eouldnt even finish quarantine in 7 days.

Thanks in advance.

Pre 19/07 everyone arriving in Ireland, even the vaccinated need a Pcr test. It must be taken within 72 hours so if you are only going for 1 day then get it done before you even leave Dublin and use for the return. It doesnt need to be taken in portugal, it just needs to be less than 72 hours old when you arrive

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Pre 19/07 everyone arriving in Ireland, even the vaccinated need a Pcr test. It must be taken within 72 hours so if you are only going for 1 day then get it done before you even leave Dublin and use for the return. It doesnt need to be taken in portugal, it just needs to be less than 72 hours old when you arrive
    Thanks. Good news for me though I wonder what the point of it is from an epidemiological point of view since it does not tell you anything about whether you have picked up the virus abroad. An antigen test within Portugal would tell you more.

Anyway what I think I will need to do both an antigen test and a PCR test at Dublin Airport. The antigen test will get me in to Portugal and the PCR test will get me back into Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

New travel hub? A ferry to Wales for 2 weeks?!?

It's extra capacity. The result of a failed travel policy that has cost Irish jobs for no reason. Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mcc1411

Hi need opinion.we are a family of 2 adults and 3 kids all small. We have a solicitors letter from Spain saying we need to attend an appointment in person. Do you think the guards at the airport will say anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Friend of mine just back in Ireland from Oz. Currently quarantining till the weekend and then a final test.
    For the final leg of the journey, there were 10 passengers on an Aer Lingus flight. Having been advised by the airline of Covid policy and to keep their distance from other passengers, the airline proceeded to seat the 10 passengers close together at the front of the plane...

Friend protested and eventually took a row of seats towards the back. The further west he travelled, the less Covid was taken seriously. Normal life in Oz compared to the ongoing sh*tshow here..

Thanks. Good news for me though I wonder what the point of it is from an epidemiological point of view since it does not tell you anything about whether you have picked up the virus abroad. An antigen test within Portugal would tell you more.

Anyway what I think I will need to do both an antigen test and a PCR test at Dublin Airport. The antigen test will get me in to Portugal and the PCR test will get me back into Ireland.

I presume Portugal accept antigen and/or PCRs surely? I wouldnt think you need both. If you are negative on a PCR you will be negative on antigen?

Mcc1411 wrote: »
    Hi need opinion.we are a family of 2 adults and 3 kids all small. We have a solicitors letter from Spain saying we need to attend an appointment in person. Do you think the guards at the airport will say anything

As long as it's clear the kids need to attend a solicitors in spain in person?

Otherwise you risk looking like one of you had a solicitors appt and the rest are along for a jollier (and there would be few reasons a child is compelled to present at a foreign solicitors office in person surely?)

By all accounts the gards are waiving anyone with even a vaguely plausible excuse through but "Gard, my kid needs to visit his solicitor in spain" *feels* like you're pushing it...but maybe its genuine, who knows.

• Advertisement

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    I presume Portugal accept antigen and/or PCRs surely? I wouldnt think you need both. If you are negative on a PCR you will be negative on antigen?
    True but I won't have the result of the PCR test early enough for Portugal and if I do the test earlier, I will have it too early to be used on the way back. Therefore the plan is to get both tests at the airport. I will receive the PCR result while I am in the country by text which I can then use to reenter Ireland. Antigen test I will have result before landing in Portugal.

Advertisement