Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

Kapu wrote: »
    Poland won't accept any tests from country of departure if you're traveling from outside Schengen area. You have 48 hours after arrival to do PCR or antigen test. You have to quarantine till you get results. That means you don't have to do any tests in Ireland.

Poland accept tests done in Ireland, antigen and pcr. Yes you can fly without it and do it on the arrival, but I think it's more practical to do it in Ireland and save yourself some time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    As long as it's clear the kids need to attend a solicitors in spain in person?

Otherwise you risk looking like one of you had a solicitors appt and the rest are along for a jollier (and there would be few reasons a child is compelled to present at a foreign solicitors office in person surely?)

By all accounts the gards are waiving anyone with even a vaguely plausible excuse through but "Gard, my kid needs to visit his solicitor in spain" *feels* like you're pushing it...but maybe its genuine, who knows.

Nonsense. If the parents have an appointment with their solicitors, it’s unreasonable to expect them, you know, leave their kids on their own while they’re gone

The OP will be grand

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

In the space of 2 weeks I’m seeing so many Irish people here in Spain on holidays. Mad to think Europe has moved on while Ireland drags its knuckles along the ground.

I mean when you’re taking public health advice from a man who says antigen tests are inaccurate.. :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭josip

Mcc1411 wrote: »
    Hi need opinion.we are a family of 2 adults and 3 kids all small. We have a solicitors letter from Spain saying we need to attend an appointment in person. Do you think the guards at the airport will say anything

What dates are you traveling? I'm assuming before the 19th since you went to the bother of getting a solicitor's letter.
    From what I read here, most guards will be happy to wave you on once you've got an essential reason especially with any kind of proof.
    With 3 kids in tow, I'd keep the bucket and spades in checked in luggage rather than carry-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

I would be grateful for some clarification here from people in the know.

Fully vaccinated person (two weeks since last Pfizer jab) travelling to to Portugal for two nights for essential reasons.

Do I need to get a PCR test done in Portugal? I will really only have 1 full day there and the result may not be available. Irish government website says that the negative PCR test needs to be within 72 hours but does this mean I could get one done in Ireland?

Thanks in advance.

Portugal accept rapid antigen test. You could get both a rapid antigen test and a PCR at the same time on your way to the airport? There is nothing on the dfa website that says the PCR has to be taken in the country you have flown from so i would assume its ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Mcc1411

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    As long as it's clear the kids need to attend a solicitors in spain in person?

Otherwise you risk looking like one of you had a solicitors appt and the rest are along for a jollier (and there would be few reasons a child is compelled to present at a foreign solicitors office in person surely?)

By all accounts the gards are waiving anyone with even a vaguely plausible excuse through but "Gard, my kid needs to visit his solicitor in spain" *feels* like you're pushing it...but maybe its genuine, who knows.

Well actually we are bringin them as me and the wife have to attend and we have nobody to leave the kids with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 nonethepfizer

Fully vaccinated person (two weeks since last Pfizer jab) travelling to to Portugal for two nights for essential reasons.

Do I need to get a PCR test done in Portugal? I will really only have 1 full day there and the result may not be available. Irish government website says that the negative PCR test needs to be within 72 hours but does this mean I could get one done in Ireland?

Thanks in advance.

remind me Sunday night/ Monday

Have people coming from Ireland to UK for the weekend, they are doing the test in Ireland, for entry back into Ireland... can let you know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

faceman wrote: »
    In the space of 2 weeks I’m seeing so many Irish people here in Spain on holidays. Mad to think Europe has moved on while Ireland drags its knuckles along the ground.

I mean when you’re taking public health advice from a man who says antigen tests are inaccurate.. :pac: :pac:

It's farcical here now. We have many people not just on the likes of RTE but on this very forum getting moist at the prospect of a surge in cases so restrictions can be rolled back on whilst as you say the rest of Europe has moved on.

Embarrassing tbh.

Must be great living somewhere half normal again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pouladuff_goal

Definitely ok to test before departure and use the test for returning home.

You must make sure the time you are tested is less than 72 hours before you arrive back.

Randox are now next day results not 24 hour results.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

True but I won't have the result of the PCR test early enough for Portugal and if I do the test earlier, I will have it too early to be used on the way back. Therefore the plan is to get both tests at the airport. I will receive the PCR result while I am in the country by text which I can then use to reenter Ireland. Antigen test I will have result before landing in Portugal.

Another farce of a situation brought to us by our wonderful government and the NPHET zealots. For any trip that is less than 3 days (which is quite a high % of travel) you get both tests in Ireland before you leave.

Proves absolutely nothing. Causes economic damage and lost jobs/salaries. But someone is getting paid ?? Has a whiff of corruption because they can't be that dumb (or worse, maybe they are...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

Feria40 wrote: »
    Yes PCR on the way back I'm afraid
    Poland won't accept any tests from country of departure if you're traveling from outside Schengen area. You have 48 hours after arrival to do PCR or antigen test. You have to quarantine till you get results. That means you don't have to do any tests in Ireland.
    If you chance it why not to get antigen test instead? Way cheaper and accepted in Poland.
    JojoLoca wrote: »
    Poland accept tests done in Ireland, antigen and pcr. Yes you can fly without it and do it on the arrival, but I think it's more practical to do it in Ireland and save yourself some time

Thanks folks for the info and just need a wee bit more help as unfortunately trying to find out anything anywhere else, except for here is a complete minefield :D

Flying to Poland saturday eve from Belfast and returning on tues. Can I get an antigen test here and will the same test do me for return? Or will I need to get a pcr there? Time frame is a nightmare :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Hoolohan up against the transport committee today to explain his reluctance to Antigen testing

Here's hoping sense prevails and the 72 hour pre-arrival PCR is scrapped in favour of before flight Antigen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

France has lifted the outdoor mask requirement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Gael23 wrote: »
    France has lifted the outdoor mask requirement

Come on Spain you know you want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

mel123 wrote: »
    Portugal accept rapid antigen test. You could get both a rapid antigen test and a PCR at the same time on your way to the airport? There is nothing on the dfa website that says the PCR has to be taken in the country you have flown from so i would assume its ok.
    Thanks. Yes it looks like that will be my plan.
    jellies wrote: »
    Another farce of a situation brought to us by our wonderful government and the NPHET zealots. For any trip that is less than 3 days (which is quite a high % of travel) you get both tests in Ireland before you leave.

Proves absolutely nothing. Causes economic damage and lost jobs/salaries. But someone is getting paid ?? Has a whiff of corruption because they can't be that dumb (or worse, maybe they are...)
    Yes, not a huge amount of sense to it. Most of the danger of the virus is gone but pointless stupidity like this will linger on unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,182 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

It appears that you have to do the following:

2. A completed electronic "Passenger Locator Card (PLCe)" must be presented upon boarding. The form can be found at https://portugalcleanandsafe.pt/en/passenger-locator-card .
    3. Passengers entering or transiting through Portugal must have:
    - a negative COVID-19 rapid antigen test taken at most 24 hours before departure from the first embarkation point; or
    - a negative COVID-19 NAAT test taken at most 72 hours before departure from the first embarkation point.

Reference - https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Hoolohan up against the transport committee today to explain his reluctance to Antigen testing

Here's hoping sense prevails and the 72 hour pre-arrival PCR is scrapped in favour of before flight Antigen

Holohan will win this one I think. He'll know exactly what he needs to say and dare I say it, he will likely consider the transport committee beneath him.

For POLAND.
    2. Passengers could be subject to quarantine for 10 days.
    - This does not apply to passengers with a COVID-19 vaccination certificate in English or Polish stating that they received the last vaccine dose.
    More quarantine exemptions can be found at https://www.gov.pl/web/coronavirus/temporary-limitations
    3. A completed "Passenger Locator Form" (PLF) must be presented upon arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

The transport committee won't be scrapping anything unfortunately, at best they will publish a "report" in a few weeks and there will be a few soundbites today

As for entering the UK from Ireland.
    The test result must also include the contact details of the issuing laboratory.
    - This does not apply to:
    - passengers younger than 11 years;
    - passengers arriving from Ireland (Rep.);

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

mmclo wrote: »
    The transport committee won't be scrapping anything unfortunately, at best they will publish a "report" in a few weeks and there will be a few soundbites today

They actually could make it worse. The suggestion has been made that antigen test could be used in conjunction with PCRs. So you take the PCR and then you have to take an antigen test before you board the plane.

Give me strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Holohan will win this one I think. He'll know exactly what he needs to say and dare I say it, he will likely consider the transport committee beneath him.

I wouldn't be so sure that he will get his way on that time... There has been very good proof about antigen testing in the last few months and he's going to find it hard to hold his ground.

As for being above the transport committee, he's never slept on the job unlike the transport minister so he might have a point if that's how he feels

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Watching it here on RTE and have to say Tony is one arrogant ****er. Hes a very stubborn person when questioned.

Either that or he just has his beliefs and is standing by them no matter whats put to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Watching it here on RTE and have to say Tony is one arrogant ****er. Hes a very stubborn person when questioned.

Either that or he just has his beliefs and is standing by them no matter whats put to him.

It's the former in my opinion. Gives off a 'who are you to have the cheek to question me' vibe. Not really surprising as he's had free reign of the country the last year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm watching the hearing live and it's just astonishing. What part of 6 medical experts all on the same page are Dail deputies not getting? It's just extraordinary

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'm watching the hearing live and it's just astonishing. What part of 6 medical experts all on the same page are Dail deputies not getting? It's just extraordinary

Reminds me of a quote from Atatürk

If one day my words are against science, choose science...

Our spineless leaders will just do whatever Tony says, they are scared of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Tazz T wrote: »
    They actually could make it worse. The suggestion has been made that antigen test could be used in conjunction with PCRs. So you take the PCR and then you have to take an antigen test before you board the plane.

Give me strength.

This was the case for flying to Amsterdam (or even just transit) back in January/February... but it's been scraped in the recent months and now you don't even need a negative test when going from "safe" countries (this includes from Ireland).

Honestly this whole antigen thing is a ****show. We're almost a year behind every single other EU country in using them, we had several studies (some even commissioned by Ireland) showing that they can be helpful but we're not using them just because Tony doesn't want to (Donnelly was at some point pushing hard for them... dude you're the health minister just allow them) and now we're discussing introducing restrictions/checks that other countries have had in place and since scraped for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Reminds me of a quote from Atatürk

If one day my words are against science, choose science...

Our spineless leaders will just do whatever Tony says, they are scared of him.

Have to say it was just a bizzare pantomime, I've little or no opinion on antigen testing but God its Clear politicians have one view, NPHET another and other medical experts all over the place.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pouladuff_goal

This is a total shambles.

They are just trying to cause doubt and delay everything. No science no attempts to look at what works in other countries.

If they seriously want to stop travel then they will close the border. As long as travel to Belfast is allowed then you obey UK laws and ignore these idiots.

Hopefully the EU will force them to cop on. Meanwhile it is Belfast for me.

Then to compound all this stupidity I see Limerick has more Covid than most places. The solution stop vaccinating people for five days to hold a race meeting. You really couldn't make this stuff up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

It says here that under the EU green cert children dont need any testing for any EU country? It says all countries agreed this?

"Countries agreed that children younger than 12 shouldn’t be tested for travel; minors traveling with a parent or other travel companion shouldn’t be required to quarantine when their adult companion isn’t."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.eu/article/faq-how-to-travel-in-europe-this-summer-coronavirus-restrictions-digital-covid-certificate/amp/

I've just seen someone ranting on twitter about the irish government deliberately leaving that out to scare families into not travelling.

Is it true? There is no testing for kids at all once they are under 12?!

Advertisement