Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Tweets talking about govt not letting people no theres no test for under 12s...

[url]

https://twitter.com/deirdrebm/status/1404367646389420033?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

M_Murphy57 wrote: »

I am confused by this. I’m looking at Portugal and the website suggests all over 2 years old need a rapid antigen. But they then state they are following the reopen EU guidelines. They recently changed to allow antigen.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

"EU members agree to lift travel restrictions on US tourists

The European Union is recommending that member countries start lifting restrictions on tourists from the United States
    ByThe Associated Press
    16 June 2021, 14:43
    • 3 min read

BRUSSELS -- The European Union is recommending that its 27 member countries start lifting restrictions on tourists from the United States.

EU members agreed Wednesday to add the U.S. to the list of countries for which they should gradually remove restrictions on non-essential travel. The move was adopted during a meeting in Brussels of permanent representatives to the bloc.

The recommendation is non-binding, and national governments have authority to require test results or vaccination records and to set other entry conditions."

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I am confused by this. I’m looking at Portugal and the website suggests all over 2 years old need a rapid antigen. But they then state they are following the reopen EU guidelines. They recently changed to allow antigen.

Which website did you check? Is there a way to find this on a central EU run site?

Which website did you check? Is there a way to find this on a central EU run site?

this is the official EU site

https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/PRT/7001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

I laughed out loud at a poster the other day who suggested this government would do everything in their power to get to September and keep the neanderthal level of restrictions in place ignoring the EU until then to stop families from travelling. I apologise as it in fact looks like that unless you are fully vaccinated they are going to do just that and they may even go further and make it hard for even the fully vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Duff

Reckon we'll be off the USA banned list by September, lads? I've 5 nights in NYC at the start of September and debating pushing it back to next year and paying the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭josip

Probably at the moment.
    From July 1st, more than likely they'll be on the EU guidelines when they come into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭MacDanger

faceman wrote: »
    I mean when you’re taking public health advice from a man who says antigen tests are inaccurate.. :pac: :pac:

Haven't been following this thread at all - anyone have links to studies on the accuracy of antigen testing and how it should be used?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

The independent is reporting that PCRs will be required to leave the country for unvaccinated. Is this just more crap reporting, or are is this in addition to what the destination country requires?

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/fully-vaccinated-can-go-on-holiday-abroad-from-july-19-without-pcr-test-says-holohan-40547346.html

• Advertisement

This is mortifying stuff

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1405157995068207109?s=20

NPHET claiming antigen tests can be faked with butter and Diet Coke. They literally found that info on the internet. Of course no one asked about home administered antigen testing... just to gaslight the thick paddies. Mortifying stuff.

Ignored all the peer reviewed science journals, and quoting shyte they read on Twitter. Thats NPHET for you

Tazz T wrote: »
    The independent is reporting that PCRs will be required to leave the country for unvaccinated. Is this just more crap reporting, or are is this in addition to what the destination country requires?

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/fully-vaccinated-can-go-on-holiday-abroad-from-july-19-without-pcr-test-says-holohan-40547346.html

I can only assume they mean PCR on return given they talk about tony and antigen then. But you're right,it reads like a dog was given free reign at a type writer, the semantics are appalling.

As for "his clearest indication yet that people will be allowed go on holidays" as if he is holding the keys to the door and not something they are being forced to allow under EU law/freedom of movement.

The independent and all its reporters really needs to go in the bin.

Duff wrote: »
    Reckon we'll be off the USA banned list by September, lads? I've 5 nights in NYC at the start of September and debating pushing it back to next year and paying the difference.

I would hope so but am surprised that I see no urgency by the US to open up to foreign travel. I’m heading myself in a couple of weeks but luckily my wife is a US citizen and so am okay to get in. I wouldn’t be holding my breath tbh for any relaxation of those border rules this year - there is clearly more than COVID at play here

I would hope so but am surprised that I see no urgency by the US to open up to foreign travel. I’m heading myself in a couple of weeks but luckily my wife is a US citizen and so am okay to get in. I wouldn’t be holding my breath tbh for any relaxation of those border rules this year - there is clearly more than COVID at play here

Europe is going to open up to US tourists from Friday. I would have thought the US would follow in reasonably short order. US carriers will not want to be flying empty aircraft back across the Atlantic so they will put the pressure on. Also cities like New York have massive euro tourist industries to get restarted. Hoping to get over myself as soon as they open so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Are we still on track for vaccinated people to be able to travel freely within Europe after the 19th July without PCR or quarantine. Thanks.

This is mortifying stuff

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1405157995068207109?s=20

NPHET claiming antigen tests can be faked with butter and Diet Coke. They literally found that info on the internet. Of course no one asked about home administered antigen testing... just to gaslight the thick paddies. Mortifying stuff.

Ignored all the peer reviewed science journals, and quoting shyte they read on Twitter. Thats NPHET for you

Unbelievable that we are running the country based on the advice of these hacks. There is a massive democratic deficit in what is going on, airline pilots (who are far from a bunch of crazies) were back on the streets today, and we have to be getting close to a broader civic protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

I'm just checking the kids age question on EU green cert testing. I haven't found anything on an official EU site but there are suggestions elsewhere that 6 is the EU minimum age for testing. Seems like a lot of countries have taken 12 as a limit (in order to attract visitors no doubt) while Ireland is going for the bare minimum option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

There's actually a very simple solution to that problem. You video yourself taking the test. I live in Vienna and we get four free self-administered PCR tests a week. You can submit them without the video, but for a valid cert you need to video yourself. Open the box, scan the code for the tube into the website, gargle for 60 seconds, fill the tube, show the tube in the video with the code, and then drop it off. Takes two minutes to do the test and you have the results and cert within 24 hours. Do it before 9am and sometimes you have it by 6pm.

I think the retail price for the tests is around a fiver, but the city has subsidised them so that you can access bars, restaurants etc. https://allesgurgelt.at/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭josip

Wallander wrote: »
    I'm just checking the kids age question on EU green cert testing. I haven't found anything on an official EU site but there are suggestions elsewhere that 6 is the EU minimum age for testing. Seems like a lot of countries have taken 12 as a limit (in order to attract visitors no doubt) while Ireland is going for the bare minimum option.

France currently requires 11 year olds and above to be tested.
    Dunno if they'll change that to 12 from the 1st of July.

Are we still on track for vaccinated people to be able to travel freely within Europe after the 19th July without PCR or quarantine. Thanks.

Nothing to indicate that we arent. It might be another week or 2 though before rte start posting clickbait about tony being "worried" to make sure people feel too scared to book last minute.

We've also to get through the antigen testing farce first.

But so far so good. I'll be on a plane that week one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

So, my confusion continues! Due to fly now on friday and was sure we didn't need a pcr test to get from ireland to the uk due to the advice here ,Gov & ringing the airport we'reflying from.
    Then this afternoon Ryan Air send an email saying 'action required for your upcoming trip and has our ref number', It states the below :

"ESSENTIAL INFORMATION TO ENTER THE UK FROM OVERSEAS

Everyone entering the UK from overseas (including UK nationals and residents) must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 3 days of departure to the UK.

Fill in your Passenger Locator Form up to 48 hours before arrival. You must declare all countries you have visited or transited through in the 10 days prior to your arrival on your Passenger Locator Form.

Before departure check the list of red, amber, and green countries, as the list can change regularly,see the detailed requirements below.

Red list passengers
    1. Book a managed quarantine package
    2. Complete a passenger locator form
    You can only enter if you are a British or Irish National, or you have residence rights in the UK. You must enter through a designated port and quarantine in a government approved hotel for 10 days.

Amber list passengers
    1. Book tests for day 2 and 8
    3. Make plans to self-quarantine in private accommodation for 10 full days after arrival (or full duration of stay if less than 10 days)

Green list passengers
    1. Book a test for day 2

These measures apply to all persons (including UK nationals and residents) arriving in England from outside the common travel area. The common travel are countries are made up of the United Kingdom, Ireland, the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands. The British Overseas Territories are not in the common travel area. Public health requirements may vary depending upon in which nation of the UK you are staying. "

What do you make out of that email considering they referenced our booking number ? It seems like its contradicting itself as we are within the common travel areas ... they also sent a link to fill out a passenger locator form

I would go by the advise on official UK government websites.
    There should be no need for tests when travelling Ireland to the uk, unless Ryanair are talking about your trip back to Ireland?

So, my confusion continues! Due to fly now on friday and was sure we didn't need a pcr test to get from ireland to the uk due to the advice here ,Gov & ringing the airport we'reflying from.
    Then this afternoon Ryan Air send an email saying 'action required for your upcoming trip and has our ref number', It states the below :

"

These measures apply to all persons (including UK nationals and residents) arriving in England from outside the common travel area. The common travel are countries are made up of the United Kingdom, Ireland, the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands. The British Overseas Territories are not in the common travel area. Public health requirements may vary depending upon in which nation of the UK you are staying. "

What do you make out of that email considering they referenced our booking number ? It seems like its contradicting itself as we are within the common travel areas ... they also sent a link to fill out a passenger locator form

It literally says it applies to people OUTSIDE the CTA. If you are travelling from ireland you are INSIDE the CTA so no test needed. It's there in the text...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Red list? Video at Heathrow for your 1750 you get..just incase anyone wants to know if travelling from further afield and rules change while your abroad :(

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikhail86439176/status/1404717332161871875

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Once again, he’s the only one challenging the keystone coalition and his lord highness Hulahoop in a factual and meaningful way.

https://twitter.com/mlmcnamaratd/status/1405192024672845824?s=24

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

It literally says it applies to people OUTSIDE the CTA. If you are travelling from ireland you are INSIDE the CTA so no test needed. It's there in the text...

I know it does and it's clearly states it as well , I just find it very confusing how we got the email with the flight reference number attached saying urgent action needed and we must present a negative pcr test, which is now too late to get anyway and also a separate email with a link to fill out a passenger locator form :confused:

"ESSENTIAL INFORMATION TO ENTER THE UK FROM OVERSEAS

Everyone entering the UK from overseas (including UK nationals and residents) must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 3 days of departure to the UK.

Fill in your Passenger Locator Form up to 48 hours before arrival. You must declare all countries you have visited or transited through in the 10 days prior to your arrival on your Passenger Locator Form.

Before departure check the list of red, amber, and green countries, as the list can change regularly,see the detailed requirements below.

Red list passengers
    1. Book a managed quarantine package
    You can only enter if you are a British or Irish National, or you have residence rights in the UK. You must enter through a designated port and quarantine in a government approved hotel for 10 days.

Amber list passengers
    1. Book tests for day 2 and 8
    3. Make plans to self-quarantine in private accommodation for 10 full days after arrival (or full duration of stay if less than 10 days)

Green list passengers
    1. Book a test for day 2

Its generic for foreign arrivals into the UK
    It shouldn't be sent to a CTA itinerary
    If you book a BA Dub LHR you get the same
    Its like they don't have a button to stop it going out on CTA itineraries

I don't know much about tests, can someone explain the difference in the antigen v PCR test? Why is the antigen better for travel?

Just spoke to a lad back from a boozing session in London, 4 of them went, 2 went through fast pass and 2 went through regular gates. The two through fastpass didn't see any gardai. The guys going through regular gates had a chat with the gardai:

Garda : Where ye off to?
    Them : London
    Garda: For work is it?
    Them: Yea
    Garda: have a good flight

So seems fairly relaxed

Also their PCR tests weren't checked in Stansted

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    I don't know much about tests, can someone explain the difference in the antigen v PCR test? Why is the antigen better for travel?

Antigen has a lower sensitivity. Antigen is good a catching those who are actively infectious / shedding the virus, a negative antigen doesn't mean you don't have covid it means you are not infectious (which is exactly what you want to know when getting on a plane), its quicker and cheaper and a better fit for things like travel. I think Ireland is the only EU country refusing antigen testing from the 1st July, open to correction on that.

Advertisement