Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

What's the story for flights coming in to Dub after midnight on the 19th from the EU
    Will they if fully vaccinated need a pcr test?
    Will the Irish issued DCC be up and running by then?
    Flights that leave their departing city late on the 18th but get into Dub after midnight so effectively arriving on the 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DavidJC

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Just spoke to a lad back from a boozing session in London, 4 of them went, 2 went through fast pass and 2 went through regular gates. The two through fastpass didn't see any gardai. The guys going through regular gates had a chat with the gardai:

Garda : Where ye off to?
    Them : London
    Garda: For work is it?
    Them: Yea
    Garda: have a good flight

So seems fairly relaxed

Also their PCR tests weren't checked in Stansted
    The UK never required a PCR for journeys from Ireland to UK. Ireland requires PCRs for all incoming passengers however (thankfully).

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

I know it does and it's clearly states it as well , I just find it very confusing how we got the email with the flight reference number attached saying urgent action needed and we must present a negative pcr test, which is now too late to get anyway and also a separate email with a link to fill out a passenger locator form :confused:

Its Ryanair, everything is cheap/****, their IT clearly just sends the same email to everyone. You dont need a PCR going over Is the main thing .

Antigen has a lower sensitivity. Antigen is good a catching those who are actively infectious / shedding the virus, a negative antigen doesn't mean you don't have covid it means you are not infectious (which is exactly what you want to know when getting on a plane), its quicker and cheaper and a better fit for things like travel. I think Ireland is the only EU country refusing antigen testing from the 1st July, open to correction on that.

What in the world is the problem then? Why would we not use this?

bubblypop wrote: »

Tony Holohan is the chairman of Nphet
    The government won't approve their use without Nphets say so even though they can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Antigen has a lower sensitivity. Antigen is good a catching those who are actively infectious / shedding the virus, a negative antigen doesn't mean you don't have covid it means you are not infectious (which is exactly what you want to know when getting on a plane), its quicker and cheaper and a better fit for things like travel. I think Ireland is the only EU country refusing antigen testing from the 1st July, open to correction on that.

Any link to details on this? What % are caught / missed? Does it change if the person is asymptomatic?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

I think Ireland is the only EU country refusing antigen testing from the 1st July, open to correction on that.

French Embassy website states travelers into France since they relaxed restrictions on June 9th require a negative PCR test, https://ie.ambafrance.org/covid19-eng

VFdDn6Y.png

Perhaps the French PCR requirement will change from July 1st? Any hint / evidence of that?

I don't know much about tests, can someone explain the difference in the antigen v PCR test? Why is the antigen better for travel?

Quicker result so closer to the actual travel

They consider it to be less accurate with more false negatives

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Its Ryanair, everything is cheap/****, their IT clearly just sends the same email to everyone. You dont need a PCR going over Is the main thing .

I Agree. This was their email , hence why it through me a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 23 adubintipp2

Funnily enough, if you go to the French foreign ministry website, it seems to allow antigen tests

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/#sommaire_1

And the latest update on the French embassy website agrees

https://ie.ambafrance.org/Strategy-for-reopening-of-borders-from-9-June-onwards

c072b9cb3ace8be7-6afff.png?1623251868
    54and56 wrote: »
    French Embassy website states travelers into France since they relaxed restrictions on June 9th require a negative PCR test, https://ie.ambafrance.org/covid19-eng

VFdDn6Y.png

Perhaps the French PCR requirement will change from July 1st? Any hint / evidence of that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

DavidJC wrote: »
    The UK never required a PCR for journeys from Ireland to UK. Ireland requires PCRs for all incoming passengers however (thankfully).

Unless you travel from the UK via Belfast, as most sane people would, in which case there is no testing at all at all, not even antigen (thankfully).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Keep in mind that the EU DGC is supposed to be implemented on July 1st.
    So some members may start adhering to it before that, some will do so on July 1st. Some may still be updating their online information.
    And Ireland will do its best to stretch it out as much as possible even though they said July 19th is the date.

(Anyone know of any other EU member delaying that much?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

jellies wrote: »
    Europe is going to open up to US tourists from Friday. I would have thought the US would follow in reasonably short order. US carriers will not want to be flying empty aircraft back across the Atlantic so they will put the pressure on. Also cities like New York have massive euro tourist industries to get restarted. Hoping to get over myself as soon as they open so fingers crossed.

Ah, but they wouldn't need to fly empty planes back - they will just fill them with US citizens. They will be able to come and go, but we won't be able to go there. It makes you wish the EU had held out for a reciprocal lifting of bans.

Quicker result so closer to the actual travel

They consider it to be less accurate with more false negatives

Just to add to this.

The PCR test has to be taken 72 hours before arriving back in Ireland. This leads to the result that if you are travelling for less than 3 days you take the PCR test before leaving to "tick the box". Technically 100% accurate but completely useless at detecting infection during you trip.

Let's say, you are going for a week, you can take the test half way through the week, so it is only really assessing infection for half of your holiday. You could easily pick up the delta, epsilon or whatever variant during the second half and PCR would not detect it because you have already taken the test.

So while PCR might be technically a more sensitive test from a practical perspective just doesn't seem that practical or useful in the travel scenario. Particularly where short term trips are involved.

At least with antigen you are measuring infectiousness on the day so you are reducing the risk of an infection event during the flight.

Exactly. That is a large part of the rationale in favour of Antigen testing. Get tested at the airport before boarding and again after landing.

Far more current than a test 2 days before you travel, when you might be saying goodbye to family afterwards or having a last night out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Are there already antigen test centers up and running? Presumably a DIY test from Lidl is not accepted..

Should have googled first sorry. Plenty of mentions about tests available at the airport.. anyone know of any at ferry terminals in Dublin?

spockety wrote: »
    Are there already antigen test centers up and running? Presumably a DIY test from Lidl is not accepted..

There are 2 test centres in the airport and another one in the Airside business park. Definitely 2 of them already carry out Antigen tests. (Because many EU states and the USA have accepted antigen for months now)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

This is mortifying stuff

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1405157995068207109?s=20

NPHET claiming antigen tests can be faked with butter and Diet Coke. They literally found that info on the internet. Of course no one asked about home administered antigen testing... just to gaslight the thick paddies. Mortifying stuff.

Ignored all the peer reviewed science journals, and quoting shyte they read on Twitter. Thats NPHET for you

What is an absolute disgrace is the complete misinformation from NPHET here.
    No one in the transport sector is calling for home antigen tests. They’re calling for approved agencies to swab and carry out a test in a controlled approved environment. Which will be cheaper, faster and more accurate at that point in time as to who is infectious or not.

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Ah, but they wouldn't need to fly empty planes back - they will just fill them with US citizens. They will be able to come and go, but we won't be able to go there. It makes you wish the EU had held out for a reciprocal lifting of bans.

"U.S. restrictions prevent most non-U.S. citizens who have been in the United Kingdom, the 26 Schengen nations in Europe without border controls, Ireland, China, India, South Africa, Iran and Brazil within the last 14 days from traveling to the United States.

Reuters reported previously that U.S. and airline officials do not think U.S. restrictions will be lifted until around July 4 at the earliest."

You are right. This is the best estimate I could find. Sometime after July 4th. They also need to reopen the land borders with Can and Mex so that might happen first.

Challenge accepted. ;-) Yes, I have too much time on my hands.
    At a quick read through ReopenEU, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Greece, Iceland, Latvia, Malta, Romania, Slovenia, and Switzerland are not accepting any tests other than PCR.
    Hungary is unclear, but foreign nationals have to apply to the police for permission to enter the state, which makes it a moot point for most Irish citizens.
    Edit: those are current restrictions. It doesn't show their plans for after July 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,997 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Challenge accepted. ;-) Yes, I have too much time on my hands.
    At a quick read through ReopenEU, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Greece, Iceland, Latvia, Malta, Romania, Slovenia, and Switzerland are not accepting any tests other than PCR.

Not at the moment but they will all accept them under the Green cert from 1st July

Not at the moment but they will all accept them under the Green cert from 1st July

Do you have a link?

Tenger wrote: »
    Keep in mind that the EU DGC is supposed to be implemented on July 1st.
    So some members may start adhering to it before that, some will do so on July 1st. Some may still be updating their online information.
    And Ireland will do its best to stretch it out as much as possible even though they said July 19th is the date.

(Anyone know of any other EU member delaying that much?)

Theres a Ryanair flight in at 1am on the morning of the 19th july having left Tenerife at 930 pm on the 18th
    Will fully vaccinated people on that flight need a pcr for entry to Ireland ?

As will we I believe

How can they accept a green cert that Ireland won't have issued on July 1st?

As will we I believe

The pressure is certainly on them. My bets would be on antigen tests being allowed from 19th not 1 July though.
    It will be interesting to see if any countries who are currently accepting antigen tests taken less than 24 hours prior to departure will keep them once the testing interval is harmonised to 48 hours, or if any will drop them.

How can they accept a green cert that Ireland won't have issued on July 1st?

Every EU/EEA country but Ireland will be issuing green certs by 1st July (about half are already issuing them) and as part of that an Antigen test taken 24hours before travel will be accepted.

As will we I believe

Yes, with the caveat that passengers will have to take a PCR on arrival as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

The pressure is certainly on them. My bets would be on antigen tests being allowed from 19th not 1 July though.
    It will be interesting to see if any countries who are currently accepting antigen tests taken less than 24 hours prior to departure will keep them once the testing interval is harmonised to 48 hours, or if any will drop them.

What's he harmonised 48 hour interval? I'm finding it really hard to keep up with all the changes.

• Advertisement

Every EU/EEA country but Ireland will be issuing green certs by 1st July (about half are already issuing them) and as part of that an Antigen test taken 24hours before travel will be accepted.

The agreed period for rapid antigen testing under the Covid certificate will be 48 hours, but there is no requirement binding member states to recognise rapid antigen tests at all.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/QANDA_21_2781

Here are the relevant quotes:

'However, it is left to each Member State to decide whether it accepts rapid antigen tests, or only NAAT tests (such as RT-PCR tests).'

'Will Member States have to accept anyone travelling with PCR/Rapid antigen test?
    In line with the Regulation, if a Member State accepts a test certificate for waiving travel restrictions, it should also accept holders of an EU Digital COVID test certificate under the same conditions. If a Member State lifts restrictions only for holders of PCR tests, it is not required to accept rapid antigen tests. However, if it accepts rapid antigen tests then it must also accept rapid antigen test certificates issued by another Member State.'

'Will there be a minimum validity of the certificates?
    On 31 May, the Commission proposed to update the Council recommendation on the coordination of the travel measures, which includes standard validity periods for tests: 72 hours for PCR tests and, where accepted by a Member State, 48 hours for rapid antigen tests.'

Advertisement