Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Friend flew to Poland this week in the evening, no guards at all, just may help others heading before 19th July.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

HOT OFF THE PRESS! Spain is dropping the outdoor mask requirement from June 26

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Sorry you are wrong
    The DCC will be EU law adopted by Ireland on July 19th
    Unvaccinated can fly with an antigen or pcr but the Cmo advises not to
    No penalty
    No guards
    No questions
    You can fly back home with a pcr test

Notwithstanding the legal status or influence of CMO advice, I personally feel desperately sorry for those whose livelihoods depend on travel on tourism. It's been level 5 for 18 months for them effectively, and now when the door finally opens slightly for them (thanks entirely to the EU rather than the government) there is an effort to slam it in their face as much as is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Wallander wrote: »
    Notwithstanding the legal status or influence of CMO advice, I personally feel desperately sorry for those whose livelihoods depend on travel on tourism. It's been level 5 for 18 months for them effectively, and now when the door finally opens slightly for them (thanks entirely to the EU rather than the government) there is an effort to slam it in their face as much as is possible.
    but sure they have a job for life and a 6 figure salary and a gold plated pension and live in a mansion, can work from home, or gets paid full salary not to work, and life couldnt be better.....

oh hang on, thats the life of a senior civil servant / HSE / HPNET advisor who shut things down without a second care, not someone in the tourism industry who depends on stuff being open .......

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Sorry you are wrong
    The DCC will be EU law adopted by Ireland on July 19th
    Unvaccinated can fly with an antigen or pcr but the Cmo advises not to
    No penalty
    No guards
    No questions
    You can fly back home with a pcr test

How is it going to work though? You get your DCC after getting a negative antigen cert in Spain say, so then your have the qr code to travel, who or where is going to check you have a PCR also?Will there be a difference between a DCC from a vaccinated person and a negative antigen DCC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Tazz T wrote: »
    I've been tracking the graphs since last summer and I'm now a bit concerned that we're about to have a blip that could throw the 19th July into jeopardy (I'm personally flying out on 24th).

I'm pretty sure that the UK rise in cases is down to reopening and we're seeing a similar rise in the North now (going to look at Donegal figures next). Our 5th July opening could see cases rising sharply in and around the 19th and cause the gov to throw is some form of emergency stop on international travel.

The cases in the UK are all delta in mostly in the 5-24 age group where the virus is manifesting basically as a cold, but a rise in cases well above 500 here on a daily basis in this age group, even without a significant in hospitalisations could see NYPHET throw a spanner in the works. Just thinking aloud...

What kind of blip, Delta? Cases are almost irrelevant now with the vulnerable vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

TefalBrain wrote: »
    What kind of blip, Delta? Cases are almost irrelevant now with the vulnerable vaccinated

I know but if there's a rise in cases in young uns like in the UK even without hospitalisations, it adds fuel to the NYPHET agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭josip

fm wrote: »
    How is it going to work though? You get your DCC after getting a negative antigen cert in Spain say, so then your have the qr code to travel, who or where is going to check you have a PCR also?Will there be a difference between a DCC from a vaccinated person and a negative antigen DCC?

In a month's time I have a feeling that nobody will care if/how it works apart from maybe airline staff.
    All the anecdotal reports from the airports are saying that even when you are checked now, the gardai are looking for a reason to allow you to continue, not to stop you.
    In 5 weeks time, with 1.2-1.5m more doses administered, Covid will be 'concerning' to a very small minority in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

josip wrote: »
    In a month's time I have a feeling that nobody will care if/how it works apart from maybe airline staff.
    All the anecdotal reports from the airports are saying that even when you are checked now, the gardai are looking for a reason to allow you to continue, not to stop you.
    In 5 weeks time, with 1.2-1.5m more doses administered, Covid will be 'concerning' to a very small minority in the country.

Maybe, but could get very messy

Government and NPHET getting absolutely roasted on social media this morning for the snails pace they are moving at in regards opening up. Huge amount of anger out there.

• Advertisement

fm wrote: »
    The DCC QR will contain the information relevant to you
    If its not right for the flight you won't get a boarding pass or will be denied boarding eg back to Dub unvaccinated with just an antigen test

• Registered Users Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I booked to go to Portugal on 24th august

As it stands my wife and I aren't vaccinated and obviously my 11 year old and 6 month old arent.

Whats the story here so and costs involved?

Thanks, trying to understand the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

rob316 wrote: »

As it stands my wife and I aren't vaccinated and obviously my 11 year old and 6 month old arent.

No one really knows for sure yet. Best wait to see if they make a call on the antigen/PCR debate in a couple of weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

faceman wrote: »
    HOT OFF THE PRESS! Spain is dropping the outdoor mask requirement from June 26

amazing, last eyar wasnt TOO bad, but this is great news. .roll on the 2nd of July..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Just had my flight with TUI on the 24th cancelled

copeyhagen wrote: »
    amazing, last eyar wasnt TOO bad, but this is great news. .roll on the 2nd of July..

If you are flying from Dublin
    Please relate your airport story here
    Don't forget

Worst case scenario I think would be PCR tests for you, your wife and 11 year old on the way out and back.
    Baby would be exempt on the back of your negative PCRs.
    Cost in Ireland for that at the moment is €69 per PCR so €207, and assuming same on the way back, then €414.

If you or your wife will get your first dose before the 13th of July, then you'll definitely qualify for the DCC in both directions and no PCR requirement.
    Vaccinations later than that become greyer, the EU consider full vaccination to be 2 weeks after final dose, Ireland 1 week for Pfizer but that wasn't in the context of the DCC, so who knows.
    Even the 11 year old is in the border zone. The EU is pushing for 11 and under to be exempt, but some countries might want to maintain their own younger limits.

I could be totally wrong about all the above and having spent the last month tracking and trying to work out what might be needed for our summer travel, I've given up and we're booking PCR tests for all to get us out and we'll see when we're returning what's needed then.

Worst case scenario I think would be PCR tests for you, your wife and 11 year old on the way out and back.
    Baby would be exempt on the back of your negative PCRs.
    Cost in Ireland for that at the moment is €69 per PCR so €207, and assuming same on the way back, then €414.

If you or your wife will get your first dose before the 13th of July, then you'll definitely qualify for the DCC in both directions and no PCR requirement.
    Vaccinations later than that become greyer, the EU consider full vaccination to be 2 weeks after final dose, Ireland 1 week for Pfizer but that wasn't in the context of the DCC, so who knows.
    Even the 11 year old is in the border zone. The DCC is pushing for 11 and under to be exempt, but some countries might to maintain their own limits.

I could be totally wrong about all the above and having spent the last month tracking and trying to work out what might be needed for our summer travel, I've given up and we're booking PCR tests for all to get us out and we'll see when we're returning what's needed then.

Thanks for that.

So if we have the first dose we will get the Cert? Thought you had to be fully done.

So you need a PCR test when you come back, do you get that here on return or in portugal before you depart?

Thanks for that.

So if we have the first dose we will get the Cert? Thought you had to be fully done.

So you need a PCR test when you come back, do you get that here on return or in portugal before you depart?

No, you need 2 doses, plus 1 or 2 weeks for the cert.
    If you have the first dose before the 13th of July, it will mean you get your 2nd dose at least 2 weeks before your travel date.

Thanks for that.

You won't get one that allows you to reenter Ireland without a pcr with just the 1st dose

• Advertisement

If you have the first dose before the 13th of July, it will mean you get your 2nd dose at least 2 weeks before your travel date.

Just a caveat here
    Some EU countries are I think allowing entry on one jab
    So a dcc with that might avoid even antigen tests there

Sorry I misread July, thought you said August!

And does the PCR test for coming back have been done in portugal before we leave or when we come back?

I see the Belgian government are offering 2 free tests for travel. No chance of that here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

check the DFA website. they will link to the embassy site also.

for spain, its a RAT for anyone not vaccinated or vaccines second dose not 14 days prior to entry. under 12s for Spain dont need aything now..disease ridden feckers.

Sorry I misread July, thought you said August!

And does the PCR test for coming back have been done in portugal before we leave or when we come back?

If Ireland requires a PCR at that time, you will probably need to get one in order to be allowed on the plane.
    I'd expect there will be a pharmacy close to where you are staying that would take the samples and get them processed.

I see the Belgian government are offering 2 free tests for travel. No chance of that here :(

Actually encouraging people to get on with living? Tony won't like that

Just had my flight with TUI on the 24th cancelled

24th of July? To where? Did they say why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

Sorry if this has been asked often, but will there be any travel restrictions to Northern Ireland after July 19th? It's hard to keep up with what the UK is doing, and which of it applies to NI.

Polar101 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked often, but will there be any travel restrictions to Northern Ireland after July 19th? It's hard to keep up with what the UK is doing, and which of it applies to NI.

Uk aren't reversing,just stalling to July 19th
    So situation today is at least what to expect July 19th
    Theres going to be no restrictions on travel to NI from RoI

• Advertisement

No, you are recognised as vaccinated for travel on the first dose the last time I read it.

What happens is you miss or never get the second, I dunno

Advertisement