Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

hamburgham wrote: »
    Hasn’t it always been a big deal to get the Gardai to agree to a shift pattern which was weighted towards when they were actually needed, ie not so many needed early morning mid week as on a Friday night.
    If they agreed to this changed shift pattern without a murmur ( as most of us knew nothing about it), it must have been very favourable for them. As I read it, they were working fewer days.

They agreed to a shift change because that's what the country needed and it wasn't the time at the beginning of covid to start playing up.
    Like all front line staff really.
    They used to work 10 hour shifts, they now work 12 hour shifts. Less crossover of units you see. There used to be 5 units, now there are 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭hamburgham

bubblypop wrote: »
    They agreed to a shift change because that's what the country needed and it wasn't the time at the beginning of covid to start playing up.
    Like all front line staff really.
    They used to work 10 hour shifts, they now work 12 hour shifts. Less crossover of units you see. There used to be 5 units, now there are 4.

Ok, gone from working 5 days to 4 days with 2 hours less overall. I honestly wonder how productive people are working 12 hour shifts. Anyway, is it going to change back soon? And it’s now 4 days on with how many off?
    The Gardai sure as well wouldn’t have agreed to it if it didn’t suit them.

hamburgham wrote: »
    Ok, gone from working 5 days to 4 days with 2 hours less overall. I honestly wonder how productive people are working 12 hour shifts. Anyway, is it going to change back soon? And it’s now 4 days on with how many off?
    The Gardai sure as well wouldn’t have agreed to it if it didn’t suit them.

Are you sure?
    So, from working 6 days on, 4 days off, over night to change their shifts, completely, to 12 hour days, working 4 days/nights on, 4 days off.
    Change childcare, what about Gardai married or parents with other Gardai? Or healthcare workers?
    Just because they didn't moan about it doesn't mean it suited them. Kids were off school, creches not opened and now parents shifts completely different.
    And where are you getting the two hours less from?
    This has been in place since Feb/March 2020.

It appears you just have a problem with Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Klonker wrote: »
    So we have one minster saying we are going to draw down our share of EU covid testing fund a week ago and another today saying we won't be subsidising tests.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/going-abroad-again-may-not-be-quite-as-expensive-as-we-feared-as-state-to-apply-to-100m-eu-fund-for-pcr-tests-40526061.html

I don't know if they are sending mixed messages on purpose or are just that incompetant.

It's definitely on purpose. I'm not saying they are competent either btw but they want to make it as stressful, expensive and complicated for anyone thinking of travelling as possible. They are being lead kicking and screaming into the Covid passport by the European Union imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Any idea why no data from Ireland.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/situation-updates/weekly-maps-coordinated-restriction-free-movement

We are getting daily data on positives. Is it number of tests and positivity rate which are the issue?

• Advertisement

Any idea why no data from Ireland.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/situation-updates/weekly-maps-coordinated-restriction-free-movement

We are getting daily data on positives. Is it number of tests and positivity rate which are the issue?

The HSE system is closed to the Internet
    So not only are the data sets not being formated,they're not being sent

TefalBrain wrote: »
    It's definitely on purpose. I'm not saying they are competent either btw but they want to make it as stressful, expensive and complicated for anyone thinking of travelling as possible. They are being lead kicking and screaming into the Covid passport by the European Union imo.

Its deliberate yes
    The government don't want to encourage travel
    Their priority is to keep it awkward whilst vaccinated numbers continue to rise
    Its a no pain no gain strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

The HSE system is closed to the Internet
    So not only are the data sets not being formated,they're not being sent

But it can be an email sent to an EU body with the data once a week. Is it that difficult? If they don’t have verifiable data then that is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

Some rumours on Twitter that Ossian Smyth has stated that lab accredited tests only (i.e. PCR) will be acceptable to get a Digital Covid Cert for travel.

So even if the destination country accepts a point of care antigen test Ireland will not issue the DCC without lab accredited PCR.

Simply incredible if this is true. But perhaps explains why Coveney said yesterday that PCR would be required for exit as well as entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,997 ✭✭✭normanoffside

jellies wrote: »
    Some rumours on Twitter that Ossian Smyth has stated that lab accredited tests only (i.e. PCR) will be acceptable to get a Digital Covid Cert for travel.

Any tests used for travel in the EU have to be lab accredited. That includes antigen tests.
    You can't just do a self administered test as there'd be no way to validate the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

So even if the destination country accepts a point of care antigen test Ireland will not issue the DCC without lab accredited PCR.

Simply incredible if this is true. But perhaps explains why Coveney said yesterday that PCR would be required for exit as well as entry.

If true it shouldn't make a difference anyway as you don't need a dcc to travel - you just need a test to enter whatever country you are travelling to,so if a country accepts antigen just get that test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

At what stage are they going to clear all this things up for us. We're 4 weeks away and we haven't a clue how it's going to work here and what requirements are involved yet Michael Martin tells is we are on track!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

As others have said all tests have to be lab accredited either PCR or antigen.

Which one just depends on where you plan on going to

I think some people be it twitter or wherever just don't understand what lab accredited means

Any tests used for travel in the EU have to be lab accredited. That includes antigen tests.
    You can't just do a self administered test as there'd be no way to validate the result.

Not correct. They have to be supervised which means that you can get them done at point of care with results in real time. That is one of the benefits of antigen - faster and cheaper.

Lab accredited means the sample gets sent to an accredited lab with associated delays and cost.

We are not talking about self administered tests.

Not correct. They have to be supervised which means that you can get them done at point of care with results in real time. That is one of the benefits of antigen - faster and cheaper.

Lab accredited means the sample gets sent to an accredited lab with associated delays and cost.

A lab accredited Antigen test is exactly that carried out by someone who knows what they are doing and is accredited to carry out said test & process results. It counts as lab accredited for green cert. Self administered is not accredited

An accredited PCR is carried out by someone again who is competent and the same is sent to lab.

As others have said all tests have to be lab accredited either PCR or antigen.

Which one just depends on where you plan on going to

I think some people be it twitter or wherever just don't understand what lab accredited means

Lab accredited = sample sent to an accredited lab.
    Point of Care = supervised sample taken and tested outside an accredited lab.

No?

Lab accredited = sample sent to an accredited lab.
    Point of Care = supervised sample taken and tested outside an accredited lab.

No?

No as explained above

A lab accredited Antigen test is exactly that carried out by someone who knows what they are doing and is accredited to carry out said test & process results. It counts as lab accredited. Self administered is not accredited

An accredited PCR is carried out by someone again who is competent and the same is sent to lab.

"The laboratory is accredited to International Standard ISO 17025:2017 "General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories". This accreditation is awarded by the Irish National Accreditation Board who conducts an annual surveillance visit to the laboratory."

A lab is accredited. Not the individual performing the test.

I hope you are right BTW. Just reporting what I read.

"The laboratory is accredited to International Standard ISO 17025:2017 "General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories". This accreditation is awarded by the Irish National Accreditation Board who conducts an annual surveillance visit to the laboratory."

A lab is accredited. Not the individual performing the test.

I hope you are right BTW. Just reporting what I read.

The result of the antigen test is still uploaded by an accredited lab for the digital green cert. The person carrying out the test is doing so for the lab.

To be able to upload for the digital cert the lab needs to be accredited as per above.

Either way it doesn't really matter, if you want to come back into Ireland you'll need to get a PCR, leaving the country depends on where your going if not vaccinated

The result of the antigen test is still uploaded by an accredited lab for the digital green cert. The person carrying out the test is doing so for the lab.

To be able to upload for the digital cert the lab needs to be accredited as per above.

Either way it doesn't really matter, if you want to come back into Ireland you'll need to get a PCR, leaving the country depends on where your going if not vaccinated

https://twitter.com/niamh_power/status/1406541236387917825?s=19

Here is the link. This is from someone who runs an antigen test centre and says that their tests would not be included on Ireland's DCC. One would assume they know what they are talking about.

It matters because why should anyone need to do a 72 hour PCR test that is sent to a lab at additional cost and hassle when the destination country accepts a cheaper and faster point of care antigen test.

Anyway let's see what happens.

• Advertisement

No, you've got this wrong.
    You can get a lab accredited antigen test at the Airport (Roc Doc, Randox, V1 Medical all do them).

They have their lab and staff where you do the test and you have your results and travel cert in 15-30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Here is the link. This is from someone who runs an antigen test centre and says that their tests would not be included on Ireland's DCC. One would assume they know what they are talking about.

It matters because why should anyone need to do a 72 hour PCR test that is sent to a lab at additional cost and hassle when the destination country accepts a cheaper and faster point of care antigen test.

But Spain will still allow RAT tests outside of the DCC. DCC is opt in for citizens, just Tony doesn’t want us opting in.

Ok thanks for clarifying that.

I know that Spain, Italy and Germany have accepted antigen test certs from Randox, RocDoc and V1 Medical (Dublin Airport) in the past few weeks.

So If Ireland get awkward with their DGC you'll still just be able to show your antigen test result at the point of entry to the countries that accept them.

That would be impossible
    The DCC must accept antigen because its an EU document issued by a member country that accepts those for to generate it
    Lot of confusion here
    People are mistaking Ireland's pcr for non vaxxed as an entry requirement as meaning you won't get an antigen one to leave

No, you've got this wrong.
    You can get a lab accredited antigen test at the Airport (Roc Doc, Randox, V1 Medical all do them).

They have their lab and staff where you do the test and you have your results and travel cert in 15-30 minutes.

See above. This is from someone who runs one of those services?

Very happy to be wrong on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

That would be impossible
    The DCC must accept antigen because its an EU document issued by a member country that accepts those for to generate it
    Lot of confusion here
    People are mistaking Ireland's pcr for non vaxxed as an entry requirement as meaning you won't get an antigen one to leave

This is the problem. Lots of confusion because absolutely no clarity from the government on how it will work. MM saying we're on track to issue the cert, but it's going to be a shambles on the day, as they appear to be doing no real planning for it.

Yeah, I've seen and replied to that.
    I'd hope it's a case of Ossian not knowing what he's talking about or of Niamh misunderstanding what he has meant by his statement

He may not have accreditation
    But not generating a dcc on an antigen is not a dcc
    That won't happen

If you can fly using self tests, whats to stop people taking samples from vaccinated people and claiming their own?

Im confused by this suggestion

• Advertisement

Yeah, I've seen and replied to that.
    I'd hope it's a case of Ossian not knowing what he's talking about or of Niamh misunderstanding what he has meant by his statement

Yeah. Thanks - trying to figure it out.

Coveney said PCR would be required on exit for travel to the EU yesterday on RTE. I thought he had misspoken. But am beginning to wonder.

Advertisement