Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Fully vaccinated people will not need a pcr coming in from the UK if they have a DCC

If an emergency break is applied to the UK they'll also need a PCR.

If no break then what you've said is spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

0lddog wrote: »
    The only record I have of being vaxed, so far, is a little bit of cardboard that was hand written and on which a lot no for the vax used is stuck.
    Very 1960's, very retro, very in keeping with the government of the day. ( devoid of ambition )
    Reminds me of when I opened my bank account here in Ireland. I was given a little card with the account number hand written on it. I looked at it thinking what the hell is this. I was expecting a kind of booklet, similar to the credit union's.

Somehow, I still have that (faded) little card.
    :/

I might have mentioned it before (bad memory). In Spain you don't need to register to get the vaccine. Health authorities contact you by sms with you appointment details. You just have to confirm it.
    Nothing else. Nada.

If an emergency break is applied to the UK they'll also need a PCR.

If no break then what you've said is spot on

There won't be an emergency break on the U.K I'll bet their cases will have dropped by July 19th
    Belgium and Italy have banned Brits but not if they have EU passports

Barna77 wrote: »
    Reminds me of when I opened my bank account here in Ireland. I was given a little card with the account number hand written on it. I looked at it thinking what the hell is this. I was expecting a kind of booklet, similar to the credit union's.

Somehow, I still have that (faded) little card.
    :/

I might have mentioned it before (bad memory). In Spain you don't need to register to get the vaccine. Health authorities contact you by sms with you appointment details. You just have to confirm it.
    Nothing else. Nada.

I was reading you need to register your existence at the local town hall if you aren't Spanish but that all you need is an Ehic and then just wait for your cohorts turn to be called

I was reading you need to register your existence at the local town hall if you aren't Spanish but that all you need is an Ehic and then just wait for your cohorts turn to be called
    I wouldn't know about non Spaniards. It's done through your social security number.

Over there they are a couple of weeks behind compared to Ireland. I got my first dose on the 11th. Friends my age (40s) are getting it this coming week.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't know about non Spaniards. It's done through your social security number.

Over there they are a couple of weeks behind compared to Ireland. I got my first dose on the 11th. Friends my age (40s) are getting it this coming week.

Same article I read said it varied region to region as the local government control roll out a bit like England, Scotland, Wales and NI are different
    Wales are nearly finished the 18 to 30 cohort 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

does anyone know if Ireland will keep the rule that counts as fully vaccinated by Pfizer 7 days after second dose? Many countries want to see 14 days after 2nd dose and only then they count as a fully vaccinated. Also if you have DCC issued by other EU country than Ireland, can you use it to travel to Ireland from 1st of July?

Ireland said they will start issuing DCC for their citizens from 19th of july, but that doesn't mean they can reject already valid DCC issued by other EU countries from 1st of july (date when it goes live all across the EU)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Poland, Portugal and Spain are up and running on DCC

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Knockdrinner

Registered for boards firstly to thank everyone who has shared their stories of travel during covid, this information has proved invaluable in planning my own trip.

Secondly I wanted to share my own experience of traveling through Dublin airport today with my partner (we're both fully vacinnated HCWs traveling to Italy for non essential reasons).

We parked in the long term parking and the bus to the terminal avoids the check point at t2, which had a Garda sitting in his car on the route into the set down and short term parking area. This also means that Dublin buses avoid that checkpoint. We got antigen tests from Randox, which cost 45 euro and was a well run service with friendly staff. Results were emailed to us in less than an hour.

In t1 we avoided a large queue at security by using fast track, as advised by others here, and saw no Gardai. The queue at security would suggest that there are checks happening. Equally, the airport was busy enough and loads of young Irish people who looked to be heading on holidays appeared to be get getting through.

It was ultimately a fairly relaxed experience and we've now arrived in Italy on a flight that cost us 8 euro each. Cheers Ryanair!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pouladuff_goal

Registered for boards firstly to thank everyone who has shared their stories of travel during covid, this information has proved invaluable in planning my own trip.

Secondly I wanted to share my own experience of traveling through Dublin airport today with my partner (we're both fully vacinnated HCWs traveling to Italy for non essential reasons).

We parked in the long term parking and the bus to the terminal avoids the check point at t2, which had a Garda sitting in his car on the route into the set down and short term parking area. This also means that Dublin buses avoid that checkpoint. We got antigen tests from Randox, which cost 45 euro and was a well run service with friendly staff. Results were emailed to us in less than an hour.

In t1 we avoided a large queue at security by using fast track, as advised by others here, and saw no Gardai. The queue at security would suggest that there are checks happening. Equally, the airport was busy enough and loads of young Irish people who looked to be heading on holidays appeared to be get getting through.

It was ultimately a fairly relaxed experience and we've now arrived in Italy on a flight that cost us 8 euro each. Cheers Ryanair!

8 euro. Eamon "close the airports" Ryan was right the days of the ten euro flights are over.

• Advertisement

Nothing else. Nada.

Jaysis, Spain know everything about people living there!
    The old civil liberties don't have much sway there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Just booked our Antigen tests for our flight to Spain on the 10th July. Can’t wait to get back over to the sun

bubblypop wrote: »
    Jaysis, Spain know everything about people living there!
    The old civil liberties don't have much sway there

Gran hermano is watching you
    As I said, it's done with the social security number database

Well they didn't know I'm not living there anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

8 euro. Eamon "close the airports" Ryan was right the days of the ten euro flights are over.

flew to Vienna for 12.99 lol

That's the pradron. You should do that once you move there.

The Spanish works on their pps number systems (dni if Spanish, nei if a registered alien).

But Ireland couldn't possible have a universal number or ID card because that's a police state apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cupcakedan

We’re flying to Munich on the 2nd July from Dublin and we’ve booked antigen tests for that morning , is this going to cover us for flying out. I know Lufthansa accepts this but does security in Dublin accept this or are they insisting on PCR testing?

The Spanish works on their pps number systems (dni if Spanish, nei if a registered alien).

But Ireland couldn't possible have a universal number or ID card because that's a police state apparently
    To be honest, it has never bothered me to have an ID card, which in 99.9% of the cases it's only used for bureaucratic purposes and travel around the EU without a passport.

Never understood the "undermining of civil liberties" scaremongering when Ireland tried to introduce one.
    I feel more watched walking down the street with all those cctv cameras out there!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Its really not so different.

You get a card which has the batch number and dates on it with a leaflet that explains everything. I do wonder what happens if you lose the card though
    There's a record in the account set up online to register for a vaccine (for those of us who used the portal to register) of vaccination status

I presume that will be part of the process for getting a Digital Cert

• Registered Users Posts: 9,997 ✭✭✭normanoffside

cupcakedan wrote: »
    We’re flying to Munich on the 2nd July from Dublin and we’ve booked antigen tests for that morning , is this going to cover us for flying out. I know Lufthansa accepts this but does security in Dublin accept this or are they insisting on PCR testing?

Heading out from Dublin Airport, the security only checks your boarding pass.
    It's the airline and the country of arrival which checks your tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Poland, Portugal and Spain are up and running on DCC

We are absolutely miles behind, embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭zvone

We’re flying to Spain on the19th July from Dublin yo Malaga with Air Lingus. Can we go with antigen test or we need PCR? We are not vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

I came to Spain exactly one week ago, flying from Cork to Alicante. I've spent a blissful week completely switched off from Ireland [would strongly recommend] but I wanted to share my experience of travelling as people on this thread have been really helpful to me. Also, people might be interested to hear what it's like travelling from another Irish airport as Dublin is mainly the one mentioned.

RocDoc are doing the tests from the red car park in Cork airport which is very conveniently located. I found RocDoc very professional and pleasant from the outset. We were able to get antigen tests for Spain and had our results within 30 mins. I was worried I'd need a print out to board but the email on my phone with our results was accepted no problem.

At the security gate there was an official [I don't think he was a member of the Gardai] asking everyone for their reason for travel. It was exactly as people have been describing here for months. The official was very polite and once you could give him any kind of viable reason he was only delighted to wave you through. In our case I had booked pain management for my partner who suffers from chronic pain. I had all the details in my hand and my partner was availing of assistance being taken through in a wheelchair, however we were still stopped and asked. So I reckon if you're travelling out of Cork before they lift this ridiculous law, have your story straight!

The flight was about 60% full which delighted me as it proves the continuing need for connectivity to Alicante, which has always been a popular destination from Irish airports. At present Cork is the only other Irish airport offering the route, thanks to Ryanair. Belfast is all well and good but very inconvenient if you live in the south. I also noticed that about 50% of the passengers were Spanish.

Absolutely no bother on arrival in Spain. The QR codes were scanned with zero fuss.

No quarantine here and overall a different world. Mask wearing, sanitising and distancing are the norm and are very much observed and people here are disciplined and compliant, but no more so than at home. The difference here is that you don't feel those suffocating levels of hysteria, scaremongering and finger wagging. It's living with the virus in earnest and I find it so much less stressful than in Ireland.

Beasty wrote: »
    There's a record in the account set up online to register for a vaccine (for those of us who used the portal to register) of vaccination status

I presume that will be part of the process for getting a Digital Cert

Interesting. I got mine through a surplus so never registered. Marcusm posted a little bit back about the it side of it.

Fyi, just breezed through security. 30 minutes from drop off to sipping a coffee.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

TefalBrain wrote: »
    We are absolutely miles behind, embarrassing.
    And in fairness those nations have a centralised medical record system using national IDs. (which apparently are an intrusion of our civil liberties)
    Thus their govts has a list of everyone vaccinated or not. Makes it very easy to integrate the DCC process.

It would be interesting to find out how much (or of) the HSE hack has affected the situation.

On the flip side, the noises from NPHET and the Govt indicate that they don't want to move early even if we were able to integrate the DCC. If we had dynamic leadership they would have aimed for July 1st (which is the official start date anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

zvone wrote: »
    We’re flying to Spain on the19th July from Dublin yo Malaga with Air Lingus. Can we go with antigen test or we need PCR? We are not vaccinated.

It's Antigen for Spain.

PCR on your way back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

The US is pushing back the opening of their land borders until at least 21 July now according to the Guardian's live feed. There is no mention of when they might consider opening to the Schengen zone + Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

Can anyone link to how "essential travel" is defined in the current travel restriction legislation or to an official list of accepted reasons for International Travel pre July 19th?

This article states the following are the accepted reasons for Essential Travel but I haven't been able to find where these reasons are actually listed in legislation or officially published by the Govt.
    • To go to college or school if you have to be there in person.
    • To go with a child or a vulnerable adult to school if they have to be there in person
    • To work or travel related to your business.
    • To go to a medical or dental appointment, or to go to an appointment with someone you live with, or a vulnerable person.
    • To seek essential medical, health or dental services, or to accompany someone you live with, or a vulnerable person who needs essential treatment.
    • To care for a family member or for other vital family reasons.
    • To go to a funeral.
    • To meet a legal obligation - to appear in court, for example.
    • To give access to a child to the other parent of the child, or to access a child that you have a right of access to.
    • To leave Ireland if you are not resident in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The list of reasons is specified in law here :
    https://assets.gov.ie/134499/bb2a7e1a-4170-446d-b09d-9c024dff8d0c.pdf

you are right to check. The Irish government / CMO are deliberately giving confusing messages and information, but a law is a law, and something that isnt a law, isnt a law

These exceptions are laws

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Mr.S wrote: »
    That's a little unfair. Most of those countries just launched earlier than planned. Ireland is launching it in-line with our international travel reopening for non-essential reasons.

So not behind or delayed, just not first.

It's not really unfair IMO. Many of the countries that have launched some version of the DCC ahead of time are allowing citizens to use it domestically for reasons that go beyond travel: organizing/attending large weddings, visiting the elderly in assisted care homes, participating in conferences/concerts/sporting events, etc.

Makes absolute sense. Given that all EU countries have signed to issue one at some point this summer, why not put it in the hands of your citizens as soon as possible in order to allow people to enjoy access to certain types of restricted activities as early as possible.

It's also a way to iron out any wrinkles ahead of the "mass" exodus. Release in mid-June, have some IT issues and you have 2 weeks to fix them.
    Release it on the 17th of July... you better have crossed your Is and dotted your Ts because come the 19th there's going to be a lot of upset people if it aint working!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Interesting. I got mine through a surplus so never registered. Marcusm posted a little bit back about the it side of it.

Fyi, just breezed through security. 30 minutes from drop off to sipping a coffee.

It’s important for you to disclose whether essential or non-essential!!!

Advertisement