Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Mr.S wrote: »
    That's a little unfair. Most of those countries just launched earlier than planned. Ireland is launching it in-line with our international travel reopening for non-essential reasons.

So not behind or delayed, just not first.

...but last.

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    It's not really unfair IMO. Many of the countries that have launched some version of the DCC ahead of time are allowing citizens to use it domestically for reasons that go beyond travel: organizing/attending large weddings, visiting the elderly in assisted care homes, participating in conferences/concerts/sporting events, etc.

Makes absolute sense. Given that all EU countries have signed to issue one at some point this summer, why not put it in the hands of your citizens as soon as possible in order to allow people to enjoy access to certain types of restricted activities as early as possible.

It's also a way to iron out any wrinkles ahead of the "mass" exodus. Release in mid-June, have some IT issues and you have 2 weeks to fix them.
    Release it on the 17th of July... you better have crossed your Is and dotted your Ts because come the 19th there's going to be a lot of upset people if it aint working!

Irelands government just want an extra million jabs in arms before its launched here
    21 days will do that
    It means our status for visitors has a better chance of staying green for longer in the eyes of visitors origin countries AND it also means better news at home as our already tiny hospitalisation rates will stay low hopefully, other new variants notwithstanding

I certainly won't crib about 21 days for that to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭josip

Well the only real difference is the Green Cert, and it's not like Ireland is 'behind' - they're rolling it in line with the agreed timings.

Totally get the point though, it would be nice to first at some things!!

We're behind.
    Not the worst country, but definitely bottom half of the table.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/coronavirus-response/safe-covid-19-vaccines-europeans/eu-digital-covid-certificate_en

Irelands government just want an extra million jabs in arms before its launched here
    21 days will do that
    It means our status for visitors has a better chance of staying green for longer in the eyes of visitors origin countries AND it also means better news at home as our already tiny hospitalisation rates will stay low hopefully, other new variants notwithstanding

I certainly won't crib about 21 days for that to be honest

yeah, but it's the 21 days after that to do the 20 sometings, and the 21 days after that to do teens, and so on. Summer's over and so is Irish aviation/tourism. Seasonal cases ticking up for winter - boosters required. Rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Myself and my eldest son flying to uk from belfast this day next week. Cant wait to get out of here for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Anyone been given a hard time by the gardai lately? Anxiety rising as I get near my travel dates.

At airport or just generally 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Has anyone travelled back to Dublin recently? How extensive are the checks on where you have been? Are they going through passports page by page or just asking you where you have been and waving you through?

Nobody's getting "waived through" for sure, emphasis in more on PLF in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sheepish97

Flying to Portugal from Dublin tomorrow non-essentially. J1 got canceled last year and I will be busy after July 19th finishing my master’s thesis until the end of august and will then be starting work the first week of September. Traveling with my girlfriend who is fully vaccinated. Booked the security fast track. Fingers crossed we don’t run into any issues. 🀞

• Site Banned Posts: 3 judgejudyrocks

May I ask, I am booked to fly with EasyJet to Gatwick on Saturdar morning and back on Wednesday afternoon.

Is it correct we need no PCR or other test ? Nor a "valid" reason for travel ?

I'm travelling up from the country to bypass the nonsense of a PCR test and a grilling - I am fully vaxxed.

Just want to make doubly sure - I'm starting to panic!!

The event I am going to requires a lateral flow test - that's a rapid antigen test right ? I want to make sure I haven't booked the wrong one!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

May I ask, I am booked to fly with EasyJet to Gatwick on Saturdar morning and back on Wednesday afternoon.

Is it correct we need no PCR or other test ? Nor a "valid" reason for travel ?

I'm travelling up from the country to bypass the nonsense of a PCR test and a grilling - I am fully vaxxed.

Just want to make doubly sure - I'm starting to panic!!

The event I am going to requires a lateral flow test - that's a rapid antigen test right ? I want to make sure I haven't booked the wrong one!

Where are you flying out of/back into? If it's any airport up north you should be fine...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 3 judgejudyrocks

Where are you flying out of/back into? If it's any airport up north you should be fine...

It's Belfast International - literally have to drive past Dublin but not worth the risk!

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

That's a little unfair. Most of those countries just launched earlier than planned. Ireland is launching it in-line with our international travel reopening for non-essential reasons.

So not behind or delayed, just not first.

I think the point is our opening for non essential travel is behind. So saying we're not behind because our Green Cert is in line with our non essential travel doesn't make sense to be honest. We're a whole 9 weeks behind those reckless risk taking Germans :pac:

It's obviously NPHET advice but government are delighted with it. They want us to spend our money here this Summer after wasting so much with over the top restrictions. If we were signed up now to the Green Cert there would be an a load of traffic going outwards but very little inwards. Who'd want to come here with nearly everything closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The snail pace reopening of international travel is deliberate to stimulate the local economy. Government look like they are allowing it but to be honest the messages are so mixed, high testing costs and its so late in the summer most are leaving it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Some more seriously good numbers coming out around Europe.

Poland, population around eight times that of Ireland, reported 80 cases today.

France's seven-day average cases (2400) now lower than Ireland's relative to population.

Malta had 18 cases in total over the past two weeks.

rob316 wrote: »
    The snail pace reopening of international travel is deliberate to stimulate the local economy. Government look like they are allowing it but to be honest the messages are so mixed, high testing costs and its so late in the summer most are leaving it off.

If that's the plan, it's not really working for stimulating the local economies of Shannon or Cork, or incoming tourism in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

“How do you apply for a vaccination certificate or a recovery certificate — the HSE will email you and contact you, and you can opt to download it from there"

lolz :cool::cool:

dashoonage wrote: »
    “How do you apply for a vaccination certificate or a recovery certificate — the HSE will email you and contact you, and you can opt to download it from there"

"If you haven't received your HSE email and it's been 21 days since July 19th, you may call the helpline.
    Until then, please be patient and bear with us."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

dashoonage wrote: »

They won’t necessarily have email addresses for those who were vaccinated at a GP surgery. Nevertheless, I suspect it’ll get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

its 4 weeks today when international travel opens. There should really be some communication other than some junior minister saying sure the auld HSE will give you a bell.

Next they will be relying on An Post to deliver them to everyone.

• Advertisement

"Niner wrote:

Fyi, just breezed through security. 30 minutes from drop off to sipping a coffee.

Just a follow up. Do NOT fly through London unless you want to get stranded.

After 3 hours here arguing over the difference between the uk and the eu and that Ireland is in the eu and being vaccinated exempts me from a pcr test and the other uk restrictions, I'm flying to a different country and having to get an international train.

This is after the 5th manager that I spoke to called 'immigration' in Ireland before admitting it was in fact Ryanair she called and that all three of the uk, Irish and Czech government websites confirmed I was subject to the eu restrictions and not the UK nationals one.

Of course all of this is out of my pocket until the 12 week complaint window expires at which point I will need to get the small claims court involved because they simile won't admit fault and pay me the compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Chuck Norris 2021

After 3 hours here arguing over the difference between the uk and the eu and that Ireland is in the eu and being vaccinated exempts me from a pcr test and the other uk restrictions, I'm flying to a different country and having to get an international train.

This is after the 5th manager that I spoke to called 'immigration' in Ireland before admitting it was in fact Ryanair she called and that all three of the uk, Irish and Czech government websites confirmed I was subject to the eu restrictions and not the UK nationals one.

Of course all of this is out of my pocket until the 12 week complaint window expires at which point I will need to get the small claims court involved because they simile won't admit fault and pay me the compensation.

Was it an issue of entering the UK, or when you arrived in another EU country from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

is the EU covid travel certificate (DCC) some app which you can download from European Union? Or it will be Irish app ready to download from 19th of july? if you have a vaccination certificate with a QR code in a PDF file, do you still need to upload it to that app? quite confusing...

If you can't get it sorted Niner, there's not much chance for the rest of us.
    I'm very interested, where exactly you got 'stuck' and what kind of manager you were talking to.
    Were you allowed enter the UK and got stuck airside and the manager is the onward airline's manager?
    Is it Border Force that won't let you in ?

We're landbridging across the UK in 2 weeks time, so we're in a not too-dissimilar position.
    We'll be PCR-ing in addition to being vaccinated though.
    To be sure to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

rajqo wrote: »
    is the EU covid travel certificate (DCC) some app which you can download from European Union? Or it will be Irish app ready to download from 19th of july? if you have a vaccination certificate with a QR code in a PDF file, do you still need to upload it to that app? quite confusing...

From what I've seen in Czechia and Poland, it's a PDF file with a QR code that can be scanned and validated in each EU country.

I got vaccinated today in Poland (Janssen) and received my EU COVID Cert immediately afterwards - which is just a PDF file. They look like this.

There may be a companion app coming, but I'm not sure.

Was it an issue of entering the UK, or when you arrived in another EU country from the UK?

In short, Ryanair uneducated morons couldn't comprehend that as an eu citizen, the eu entry rules applied to me and not the UK rules entering Prague.

Even after I showed them the Irish, Czech AND UK official websites all stating that as a vaccinated person from an eu country I was exempt pcr test provided I only transited in London under 12 hours.

I remain baffled by what their actual understanding of that was as they just kept telling me "your in the UK now" until as I said, it eventually clicked with the 5th person who evidently, can read.

Either that or they were terrified I would drop dead before them and it would come out that Ryanair denied someone traveling for surgery who then died. (I wouldn't die but would be very sick without my medication)

josip wrote: »
    "If you haven't received your HSE email and it's been 21 days since July 19th, you may call the helpline.
    Until then, please be patient and bear with us."

To be honest, all we really need is the fine to go. The cert only matters if you're vaxxed and need to prove it. Everyone else is still gonna need a antigen test going out and PCR coming back. What does it matter if it's part of a digital cert - it'll still be accepted unless they're going to stop people leaving without 'officially' having a cert. Even then, coming back flash your vax card, say HSE didn't send anything and they can phone up and confirm it.

Scrap that. Jesus, this is going to be a nightmare, isn't it? A month after most other EU countries have been up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If you were flying Ryanair then I suspect you transited “landside” rather than”airside”. Ryanair has never been good for anything other than point to point for stuff like this. Presume Timatic has been updated for covid rules but I don’t think that Ryanair even use it but instead stick by their own simplistic and often wrong rules. U.K. is outside of EU but I still think that hey adopted the involuntarily denied boarding (IDB) compensation pacakages of EC261.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Chuck Norris 2021

In short, Ryanair uneducated morons couldn't comprehend that as an eu citizen, the eu entry rules applied to me and not the UK rules entering Prague.

Even after I showed them the Irish, Czech AND UK official websites all stating that as a vaccinated person from an eu country I was exempt pcr test provided I only transited in London under 12 hours.

I remain baffled by what their actual understanding of that was as they just kept telling me "your in the UK now" until as I said, it eventually clicked with the 5th person who evidently, can read.

Either that or they were terrified I would drop dead before them and it would come out that Ryanair denied someone traveling for surgery who then died. (I wouldn't die but would be very sick without my medication)

That's frustrating! Things are changing so much all the time I guess issues like that are bound to happen somewhere along the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

So if you got vaccinated by your GP how do you get the certificate

Advertisement