Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

Marcusm wrote: »
    If you were flying Ryanair then I suspect you transited “landside” rather than”airside”. Ryanair has never been good for anything other than point to point for stuff like this. Presume Timatic has been updated for covid rules but I don’t think that Ryanair even use it but instead stick by their own simplistic and often wrong rules. U.K. is outside of EU but I still think that hey adopted the involuntarily denied boarding (IDB) compensation pacakages of EC261.

Yeah this was it was as I pointed out, the rules were simple 'under 12 hours' and no mention of where in the UK.

I'll have to make the claim when I get back and another mark against Ryanair. The only reason I was even going this way was because they cancelled my direct flight!

That's frustrating! Things are changing so much all the time I guess issues like that are bound to happen somewhere along the line.

Yeah and I was polite as best I could but there comes a stage where it's just ignorant refusal. She even said "check an English website". How more English can I get than their own department of foreign affairs (external affairs or whatever it's called)?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Gael23 wrote: »
    So if you got vaccinated by your GP how do you get the certificate

All vaccination providers/admistrators upload their records to a central HSE database.

Presume you just apply online?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Chuck Norris 2021

Yeah and I was polite as best I could but there comes a stage where it's just ignorant refusal. She even said "check an English website". How more English can I get than their own department of foreign affairs (external affairs or whatever it's called)?

Does the 12 hour rule apply for most EU countries? We had our outbound cancelled, so I rebooked via Stansted, I changed the flights again when Italy announced the new restrictions on the UK. Initially we'd have only been in Stansted about 3 hours, but that flight got cancelled so it would have been 20 or so hours. Hopefully the rest of the trip will be less stressful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭embraer170

In short, Ryanair uneducated morons couldn't comprehend that as an eu citizen, the eu entry rules applied to me and not the UK rules entering Prague.

Even after I showed them the Irish, Czech AND UK official websites all stating that as a vaccinated person from an eu country I was exempt pcr test provided I only transited in London under 12 hours.

I remain baffled by what their actual understanding of that was as they just kept telling me "your in the UK now" until as I said, it eventually clicked with the 5th person who evidently, can read.

Not a nice situation at all.

Where did you end up flying to instead? And was it with Ryanair or a different airline?

I had a few ridiculous discussions with airline and immigration staff in recent months.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

From what I've seen in Czechia and Poland, it's a PDF file with a QR code that can be scanned and validated in each EU country.

I got vaccinated today in Poland (Janssen) and received my EU COVID Cert immediately afterwards - which is just a PDF file. They look like this.

There may be a companion app coming, but I'm not sure.

You received a hard copy of the cert issued by the vaccination centre. There is also a website/app called IKP, where once registered, you can also generate QR code based on your vaccination status, negative test result or record of recent Covid infection. That's your soft copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Aer Lingus cancelled all flights to and from nantes this summer- our August flights were completely sold out. Can't believe it! They must be greatly reducing their routes now- part of the fallout of all this going on so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Quechyquat

Long time follower of this thread and first time poster so be gentle with me. It has been so informative over the past year and of great help to me in navigating the travel minefield over the past 15 months.

I would have a concern around the arrangements (or lack thereof) during the transition period between 1st and 19th July... so DCC in place and being issued throughout the EU but not Ireland. Say you have essential travel during this period with but without access to a DCC. The destination country happily accepts visitors in possession of DCC but insists on self-isolation if you are unable to obtain one. This appears to be the case in Italy, for example, as of 18th June.

What (if anything) will be issued in the intervening period to facilitate such travellers, particularly those for whom the travel is essential, or are they likely to have no option but to quarantine?

Remember that the EU directive states that during the Phase In period (July 1st to August 12th) "if a Member State is not yet ready to issue the new certificate to its citizens, other formats can still be used and should be accepted in other Member States". The little HSE vaccination card has nowhere near the full amount of data required of any equivalent certificate as per the EU Directive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Surely they've thought of that...surely:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

MizMix wrote: »
    Aer Lingus cancelled all flights to and from nantes this summer- our August flights were completely sold out. Can't believe it! They must be greatly reducing their routes now- part of the fallout of all this going on so long.

Airlines have been absolutely destroyed by this. Ryan will be happy i suppose

Quechyquat wrote: »
    Long time follower of this thread and first time poster so be gentle with me. It has been so informative over the past year and of great help to me in navigating the travel minefield over the past 15 months.

I would have a concern around the arrangements (or lack thereof) during the transition period between 1st and 19th July... so DCC in place and being issued throughout the EU but not Ireland. Say you have essential travel during this period with but without access to a DCC. The destination country happily accepts visitors in possession of DCC but insists on self-isolation if you are unable to obtain one. This appears to be the case in Italy, for example, as of 18th June.

What (if anything) will be issued in the intervening period to facilitate such travellers, particularly those for whom the travel is essential, or are they likely to have no option but to quarantine?

Remember that the EU directive states that during the Phase In period (July 1st to August 12th) "if a Member State is not yet ready to issue the new certificate to its citizens, other formats can still be used and should be accepted in other Member States". The little HSE vaccination card has nowhere near the full amount of data required of any equivalent certificate as per the EU Directive.

I presume most / all EU states will continue to accept traditional proof of vaccination, just as they do today (and will continue to do so for non-EU states).

I have not read about EU states refusing the current hand written HSE card.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭josip

You could get one of these

https://www.amazon.de/INTERNATIONALE-BESCHEINIGUNG-%C3%9CBER-IMPFUNGEN-IMPFBUCH/dp/B091GK3MH9/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=1077QEEQ2UU78&dchild=1&keywords=yellow+vaccination+card&qid=1624290593&sprefix=yellow+%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-4

and ask your GP (not the rottweiler who usually guards the GP) to transcribe your HSE Cert details and passport details to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/coronavirus-covid-19/reizen-en-vakantie/reizen-buitenland/gratis-test-bij-reizen-naar-het-buitenland

Free testing (for travel) for all departures from The Netherlands (this was mentioned before on here) in July and August. News is now that this will be offered to all nationalities, not only Dutch citizens.

embraer170 wrote: »
    I presume most / all EU states will continue to accept traditional proof of vaccination, just as they do today (and will continue to do so for non-EU states).

I have not read about EU states refusing the current hand written HSE card.

From the Italian Foreign Ministry online travel tool for travel from Ireland:

"Based on your answers, you can enter Italy. Read carefully the information provided below.

Prime Ministerial Decree of March 2, 2021 and Order of June 18, 2021 of the Minister of Health set forth provisions for travelling abroad until July 30, 2021.

In order to enter/return to Italy, you must:

1. Fill out a digital Passenger Locator Form (only in case of lack of necessary tools to fill out the dPLF, you can use a paper-based self-declaration) and inform your local health authorities in Italy once you arrive.
    2. Present to the carrier and any other authorised person, an EU digital Covid Certificate showing proof that you have either:
    - been vaccinated against COVID-19 with an EMA authorised vaccine and you have completed the prescribed vaccination cycle since at least fourteen days;
    - received a negative result of a molecular or antigenic test carried out in the 48 hours before your arrival;
    - recovered from COVID-19 and you are no longer under prescription of self-isolation.
    3. Inform local Health Authority of your arrival.

If you are unable to obtain an EU Digital Covid Certificate, you can enter Italy, but you must:

1. Inform your local Health Authority
    2. Self-isolate for 10 days
    3. Undergo a molecular or antigenic test, carried out by means of a swab, at the end of the 10-day self-isolation. "

From the Italian Foreign Ministry online travel tool for travel from Ireland:

"Based on your answers, you can enter Italy. Read carefully the information provided below.

Prime Ministerial Decree of March 2, 2021 and Order of June 18, 2021 of the Minister of Health set forth provisions for travelling abroad until July 30, 2021.

In order to enter/return to Italy, you must:

1. Fill out a digital Passenger Locator Form (only in case of lack of necessary tools to fill out the dPLF, you can use a paper-based self-declaration) and inform your local health authorities in Italy once you arrive.
    2. Present to the carrier and any other authorised person, an EU digital Covid Certificate showing proof that you have either:
    - been vaccinated against COVID-19 with an EMA authorised vaccine and you have completed the prescribed vaccination cycle since at least fourteen days;
    - received a negative result of a molecular or antigenic test carried out in the 48 hours before your arrival;
    - recovered from COVID-19 and you are no longer under prescription of self-isolation.
    3. Inform local Health Authority of your arrival.

If you are unable to obtain an EU Digital Covid Certificate, you can enter Italy, but you must:

1. Inform your local Health Authority
    2. Self-isolate for 10 days
    3. Undergo a molecular or antigenic test, carried out by means of a swab, at the end of the 10-day self-isolation. "

I expect there is some additional notes/background missing from that text. You are right. What a pain.

For a start, if that text is true, Italy will be accepting zero US tourists this summer (which I seriously doubt).

EDITED

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭eltonyio

embraer170 wrote: »
    I expect there is some additional notes/background missing from that text. You are right. What a pain.

For a start, if that text is true, Italy will be accepting zero US tourists this summer (which I seriously doubt).

EDITED

I raised a similar concern a couple of pages back but was dismissed with a 'read the thread' comment. It is a valid concern, as why would other countries worry about our country's stupidity during the early July period.

The government's approach is appalling here and the lack of readiness is deliberate and extremely damaging to the country's reputation and the well being of many residents here who have family abroad.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/irish-air-travel-lags-as-europeans-take-off-for-summer-holidays-1.4599138

However, the same numbers show that on Sunday June 20th flights in and out of the Republic were 76 per cent down on 2019 levels, against 49.7 per cent for the rest of Europe.

The figures, from air navigation body, Eurocontrol, show that the Republic continues to be Europe’s worst air travel performer, with around 24 per cent of 2019 traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Your GP should have obtained your PPSN from you and registered your vaccine with HSE. I think this was one of the affected systems (unlike the mvc portal) but hopefully (for me too), it will be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Yeah this was it was as I pointed out, the rules were simple 'under 12 hours' and no mention of where in the UK.

I'll have to make the claim when I get back and another mark against Ryanair. The only reason I was even going this way was because they cancelled my direct flight!

If you booked ex-STN with Ryanair, check whether it was “Ryanair U.K.” as the carrier. If it was, you can do a simple MCOL claim against them. This is the UK’s online small claims court replacement designed exactly for disputes like this. It makes it much harder for them to dodge it. It’s probably £350 category.

The little HSE vaccination card has nowhere near the full amount of data required of any equivalent certificate as per the EU Directive.

My suggestion would be to print out the relevant pages on the portal that states the vaccine and the doses given and when
    This will contain the HSE logo and contact info and looks official
    Staple these together and staple the HSE vaccine card to this

• Advertisement

eltonyio wrote: »
    The government's approach is appalling here and the lack of readiness is deliberate and extremely damaging to the country's reputation and the well being of many residents here who have family abroad.

Indeed, given the “delay” until the 19th, at the very least one would expect some sort of interim vaccination/test/recovery certificate to facilitate travellers until then if, as appears to be the case, some EU countries are making the DCC a precondition for quarantine free entry.

Sure you might as well just introduce the DCC now and retain the non essential travel ban till then but sure that would be far too logical for our lot.

My suggestion would be to print out the relevant pages on the portal that states the vaccine and the doses given and when
    This will contain the HSE logo and contact info and looks official
    Staple these together and staple the HSE vaccine card to this

I would much prefer a.digital certificate that allows for a barcode on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

dashoonage wrote: »
    “How do you apply for a vaccination certificate or a recovery certificate — the HSE will email you and contact you, and you can opt to download it from there"

lolz :cool::cool:

Amazingly enough they have started this already. My husbands colleague (HSE worker vaccinated in February) was contacted last week to check his details as they had the wrong batch number for his second vaccine. Bloke on the phone said they are ready to start issuing travel certs from the 1st of July.

I assume that’s not actually happening but it seems like they are moving on it and some will have their certs ready and waiting for them

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

I just don't understand why in god's name they can't refer you to the HSE portal with the information about vaccine dates and appointments etc... and when you fully vaccinated they send you a QR code through that same portal. Then you can either print this off or leave it on your phone or both. It's the simplest solution. I guarantee you any DCC portal set up to go live on the 19th will crash within hours and will leave thousands planning to travel that week without the QR code.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

does all arrivals to Ireland need a PCR test before travel until 18th of july despite being vaccinated and having a DCC issued by other EU country?

rajqo wrote: »
    does all arrivals to Ireland need a PCR test before travel until 18th of july despite being vaccinated and having a DCC issued by other EU country?

They're not saying
    But the DCC should allow you in from july 1st if it shows fully vaccinated status

The reason they've not said is because they want you to go for a pint in Dingle instead
    Sam McConkey was wheeled out on drivetime today suggesting Athlonians should stay in athlone though as its pretty bad there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

They're not saying
    But the DCC should allow you in from july 1st if it shows fully vaccinated status

The reason they've not said is because they want you to go for a pint in Dingle instead
    Sam McConkey was wheeled out on drivetime today suggesting Athlonians should stay in athlone though as its pretty bad there

Thankfully that’s the first time I’ve heard that lads name in about 5 weeks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

rajqo wrote: »

That's my reading of it it too. EU DCC is being implemented from July 1st but Ireland has availed of the option to delay their rollout until July 19th.
    Which means no EU tourists will want to visit here and the Irish tourism industry loses out on 3 weeks of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Tenger wrote: »
    That's my reading of it it too. EU DCC is being implemented from July 1st but Ireland has availed of the option to delay their rollout until July 19th.
    Which means no EU tourists will want to visit here and the Irish tourism industry loses out on 3 weeks of the season.

Or they will be allowed in under the DCC and we won't be allowed to leave. Sort of like it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

some good news coming this morning, this would make travel cheaper for unvaccinated people and actually goes against the holohan's idea that unvaccinated shouldn't travel at all

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/people-flying-abroad-can-get-free-pcr-test-to-avail-of-digital-cert-40565718.html

Advertisement