Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

rajqo wrote: »
    some good news coming this morning, this would make travel cheaper for unvaccinated people and actually goes against the holohan's idea that unvaccinated shouldn't travel at all

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/people-flying-abroad-can-get-free-pcr-test-to-avail-of-digital-cert-40565718.html

"Meanwhile, the Irish Independent has learned the State will provide PCR tests for holidaymakers going abroad from July 19. Due to the HSE cyber attack, it is not necessary to be referred to a Covid test centre by a GP. Having insisted taxpayers wouldn't fund holiday tests, authorities now plan to allow travellers use a HSE test to qualify for an EU Digital Covid Cert. Senior officials are not concerned the public health testing system will be overwhelmed as there is capacity for 175,000 tests per week."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

"Meanwhile, the Irish Independent has learned the State will provide PCR tests for holidaymakers going abroad from July 19. Due to the HSE cyber attack, it is not necessary to be referred to a Covid test centre by a GP. Having insisted taxpayers wouldn't fund holiday tests, authorities now plan to allow travellers use a HSE test to qualify for an EU Digital Covid Cert. Senior officials are not concerned the public health testing system will be overwhelmed as there is capacity for 175,000 tests per week."

But why would u need this before going? If going to Spain it’s antigen only. Does this mean our gov are insisting on pcr to leave too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

beaz2018 wrote: »
    But why would u need this before going? If going to Spain it’s antigen only. Does this mean our gov are insisting on pcr to leave too?

I would view it as a free option, get a Antigen if you like but from a private company.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ionnn

https://www.thejournal.ie/aer-lingus-at-oireachtas-committee-5472957-Jun2021/

The consequences from Ireland’s complete outlier approach to travel restrictions will be felt for years to come, its honestly depressing to watch our tourism sector being destroyed when it’s completely avoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

some good news coming this morning, this would make travel cheaper for unvaccinated people and actually goes against the holohan's idea that unvaccinated shouldn't travel at all

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/people-flying-abroad-can-get-free-pcr-test-to-avail-of-digital-cert-40565718.html

Thats great if true but talk about confusing. Ossian Smyth last 2 weeks ago wouldn't be subsidising tests, said the following week would be, Simon Coveney said last week wouldn't be and now this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hard to see what you are criticising? It’s a free test, a gateway to the DCC without cost. The collection mechanism is still the same. It just requires planning. Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. This is about the only positive thing they have done for travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

A friend of mine flew in from the USA yesterday. They didn’t even ask her about her vaccine status, I thought they would? Or is that only once the July 19 rules come in? (She’s fully vaxed and will do the 5 day test)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

What a shit stirring headline. "Taxpayers to fund free PCR tests". Its as if they want to stigmatise people going on holiday. Yet no mention in the article of the €100m EU fund that Ireland gets a portion of to subsidise testing for travel as agreed recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Beanybabog wrote: »
    A friend of mine flew in from the USA yesterday. They didn’t even ask her about her vaccine status, I thought they would? Or is that only once the July 19 rules come in? (She’s fully vaxed and will do the 5 day test)

Vaccine status doesn't matter at the moment unless the country is listed for MHQ. PCR is what they'll look for until the 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I imagine someone piped up and said it’s not people’s fault that they are not vaccinated when they are not eligible so you can’t make them pay for PCR.

Been looking at hotels in Sligo for august and they are all €200+ per night so I think I’ll be going to Spain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I'm baffled. Is it simply a way to encourage PCRs before boarding a plane in order to keep NYPHET happy? You need a PCR coming back so NYPET gets its way after all and we all forget about the antigen testing pilot scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Tazz T wrote: »
    I'm baffled. Is it simply a way to encourage PCRs before boarding a plane in order to keep NYPHET happy? You need a PCR coming back so NYPET gets its way after all and we all forget about the antigen testing pilot scheme.

Or maybe they realised that if the HSE has to run the travel cert in the first place, it would not be that much of a stretch to allow the HSE to register PCR tests, and probably easier than linking up half a dozen private companies? As far as I know the HSE does not offer rapid antigen tests.

It means if you want a free test ,you get a hse pcr
    If you want to shell out loads of money,you get an antigen

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

Does anyone know how to get proof of covid infection/recovery from the HSE? I'm travelling soon and would like to skip the PCR, also would be great to get only 1 shot of a 2-shot vaccine

Does anyone know how to get proof of covid infection/recovery from the HSE? I'm travelling soon and would like to skip the PCR, also would be great to get only 1 shot of a 2-shot vaccine

You won't get what you need before July 19th I'd imagine unless you provide documentation to the HSE that your journey is essential

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ashdublinc13

Hi

Questions re travelling without DCC in July . Any help is appreciated. We were hoping to visit Lake Garda in Italy

Italy - will need to isolate for 10 days and inform health authority of our arrival? Is antigen test required for all passengers?

Spain- just need antigen test within 48 hours of arrival? Just for adults? No isolation required?

Arriving back in Ireland, PCR tests for anyone 7 plus? Isolate and test day 5 to release early?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

just have it confirmed by a GP... there should be name, date of birth and date of recovery, stamp and signature

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Or maybe they realised that if the HSE has to run the travel cert in the first place, it would not be that much of a stretch to allow the HSE to register PCR tests, and probably easier than linking up half a dozen private companies? As far as I know the HSE does not offer rapid antigen tests.

The HSE does do antigen tests. And they'd be a lot cheaper for the 'taxpayer'. So this really does suggest this is all about keeping NYPET happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ashdublinc13

TomSweeney wrote: »

That's good news. We were hoping to visit Norway this year. Great trip planned. It looked like Norway were going to be slow opening their borders. Then SAS cancelled flights. Maybe another time

Then hoped for Italy. Read about 10 day isolation

Maybe Spain

• Advertisement

The HSE does do antigen tests. And they'd be a lot cheaper for the 'taxpayer'. So this really does suggest this is all about keeping NYPET happy.

They do antigen test in the drop-in test centres?

TomSweeney wrote: »

Um, yay? It is still incredibly strict. I wonder when they will start accepting certificates from anywhere other than Denmark or Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

So we're travelling to the UK in August.

It is likely myself and my husband will both be fully vaccinated by then.

What are the rules for both entry into the UK, and returning back to Ireland. We have three children aged 9, 6 and 4. Do we need to get PCR tests to get them back into the country? Do the UK request negative PCR/antigen tests for kids?

They do antigen test in the drop-in test centres?

Don't know about that, but they definitely use them in ED and in outbreak settings.

Don't know about that, but they definitely use them in ED and in outbreak settings.

Aye, but it looks like they are saying you can go to the drop-in test centre for the travel cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Hi

Questions re travelling without DCC in July . Any help is appreciated. We were hoping to visit Lake Garda in Italy

Italy - will need to isolate for 10 days and inform health authority of our arrival? Is antigen test required for all passengers?

Spain- just need antigen test within 48 hours of arrival? Just for adults? No isolation required?

Arriving back in Ireland, PCR tests for anyone 7 plus? Isolate and test day 5 to release early?

Thanks

I have read that for Italy, no DCC equals 10 days quarantine but I have not done any research myself into it.

I can confirm that Spain require a negative test, antigen or PCR, only for entry. No quarantine etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

I am traveling to Spain on July 19th. What are the chances I'll get my hands on a DCC before I go? I will be fully vacinated ( via GP)

It's a late evening flight if the extra few hours helps :)

Aye, but it looks like they are saying you can go to the drop-in test centre for the travel cert.

Very easy to add antigen testing to drop-in centres if they wanted (they clearly don't).

Very easy to add antigen testing to drop-in centres if they wanted (they clearly don't).

Why does it matter if the pcr is free?

• Advertisement

Feria40 wrote: »
    I am traveling to Spain on July 19th. What are the chances I'll get my hands on a DCC before I go? I will be fully vacinated ( via GP)

It's a late evening flight if the extra few hours helps :)

Chances are low but if its set up app wise on the 17th you're good

Advertisement