Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

Why does it matter if the pcr is free?

It does matter. PCR takes 24h with HSE, while antigen would be 20-30 minutes. Antigen would give more flexibility, while with pcr you would have plan for the 24h wait within the 48h window.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭josip

Chances are low but if its set up app wise on the 17th you're good

If it has to be operational by SOB on the 19th, then the Salesforce contractor who updates the Vaccine Portal age limits on a Friday evening just before he logs off, will also set the DCC live on Friday 17th July at 16:55.

josip wrote: »
    If it has to be operational by SOB on the 19th, then the Salesforce contractor who updates the Vaccine Portal age limits on a Friday evening just before he logs off, will also set the DCC live on Friday 17th July at 16:55.

Is it salesforce doing it ?

JojoLoca wrote: »
    It does matter. PCR takes 24h with HSE, while antigen would be 20-30 minutes. Antigen would give more flexibility, while with pcr you would have plan for the 24h wait within the 48h window.

Well it will be 48hrs from the date of the result surely and it doesn't take 48hrs to get to anywhere in Europe
    The pcr can be done at the nearest hse centre, there's probably more of them than randox sites or rocdoc

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Feria40 wrote: »
    I am traveling to Spain on July 19th. What are the chances I'll get my hands on a DCC before I go? I will be fully vacinated ( via GP)

It's a late evening flight if the extra few hours helps :)

One of the papers reported today theyd be available for download on the 18th but I'd have a plan B just in case eg physical proof yourself of vaccine etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭CZ 453

The minister Smyth confirmed PCRs are not free for travel purposes. If unvaccinated (and not had had covid previously) you must pay for your test in private test centres. The private test centres can issue your covid cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Why does it matter if the pcr is free?

I'm vaxxed. It doesn't matter to me.

But I'm concerned that its a sneaky way of pandering to NYPHET's anti-antigen agenda and it's already being used by the media to demonise travellers by being a cost to taxpayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

JDD wrote: »
    So we're travelling to the UK in August.

It is likely myself and my husband will both be fully vaccinated by then.

What are the rules for both entry into the UK, and returning back to Ireland. We have three children aged 9, 6 and 4. Do we need to get PCR tests to get them back into the country? Do the UK request negative PCR/antigen tests for kids?

The rules may well be different in august. Based on the current rules:

No test for anyone on the way over
    PCR for everyone over 7 if coming back to ROI (or no tests for anyone if coming back via belfast)

Currently a 14 day quarantine - test and release possible on day 5 for vaccinated people and day 10 for unvaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

JDD wrote: »
    So we're travelling to the UK in August.

It is likely myself and my husband will both be fully vaccinated by then.

What are the rules for both entry into the UK, and returning back to Ireland. We have three children aged 9, 6 and 4. Do we need to get PCR tests to get them back into the country? Do the UK request negative PCR/antigen tests for kids?

UK don't look for pcr/tests/vaccine proof from any person who's journey originated in Ireland.
    Coming back into a port or airport in the republic the plan from July 19th was no home isolation & if fully vaccinated no test required + PCR tests for anyone age 7 & above not vaccinated (so along the dig cert rules type of thing). Hoping this will still be the case or better still just antigen tests for the non vaccinated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Tazz T wrote: »
    Very easy to add antigen testing to drop-in centres if they wanted (they clearly don't).

Didn't we already know that? It is a step forward to be offering free travel testing.

I would be wary of airlines peddling the idea that the antigen tests will solve everything. Yes, rapid antigen tests are slightly more affordable, but from the perspective of someone trying to travel, I'm agnostic about their appeal. You still have to go to a test centre and have your brains drawn out, in addition to having a greater chance of getting a false positive and being prevented from travelling - on very short notice! The PCR test is more universally accepted if you are looking to go anywhere but Spain. Yes, antigen tests have a place, but they won't change much.

If anything, free PCR tests from HSE are better than free antigen ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

That's good news. We were hoping to visit Norway this year. Great trip planned. It looked like Norway were going to be slow opening their borders. Then SAS cancelled flights. Maybe another time

Then hoped for Italy. Read about 10 day isolation

Maybe Spain
    YEah, I had a trip planned for last year, still probably won't go till 2022 as it would be a bit of a rush to organise it all now, and I want to go way up north for midnight sun, so need to be going before end of July ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hilzabeaatch

Well it will be 48hrs from the date of the result surely and it doesn't take 48hrs to get to anywhere in Europe
    The pcr can be done at the nearest hse centre, there's probably more of them than randox sites or rocdoc

So far, the requirements I've seen are max 72 hours for pcr from time of test to arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I would not rely on getting the results back from the HSE in a timely manner. You may have to pay private to ensure your PCR is within the 72/48 hour window.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

It's 48h from the moment the swab is taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I would not rely on getting the results back from the HSE in a timely manner. You may have to pay private to ensure your PCR is within the 72/48 hour window.

Now that could be a problem. Hopefully there will be pressure to offer a fast-track for travel tests.

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Didn't we already know that? It is a step forward to be offering free travel testing.

I would be wary of airlines peddling the idea that the antigen tests will solve everything. Yes, rapid antigen tests are slightly more affordable, but from the perspective of someone trying to travel, I'm agnostic about their appeal. You still have to go to a test centre and have your brains drawn out, in addition to having a greater chance of getting a false positive and being prevented from travelling - on very short notice! The PCR test is more universally accepted if you are looking to go anywhere but Spain. Yes, antigen tests have a place, but they won't change much.

If anything, free PCR tests from HSE are better than free antigen ones.

Again, the issue is not about antigen tests or pcrs being used for travel (although the EU cert allows for antigens to be used for this purpose), it's the way this has been implemented to keep NYPHET happy, and, arguably, so the media can get the begrudgers going by suggesting that those that are anti-travel now have to subsidise holidaymakers through their taxes. It's all seems very schneaky. That said, I agree it's a good thing that families can now take their kids for a free PCR before travelling abroad (although the hassle and cost of a PCR is still there unnecessarily before returning).

(see next post)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The Indo doing it's usual to try and stir up ****e...

taxpayers-to-fund-free-pcr-tests-for-holidaymakers-who-can-thenavail-of-digital-cert-

When really it should be "Taxpayers to fund themselves to avail of unnecessary test to go abroad"

Tenzor07 wrote: »

taxpayers-to-fund-free-pcr-tests-for-holidaymakers-who-can-thenavail-of-digital-cert-

When really it should be "Taxpayers to fund themselves to avail of unnecessary test to go abroad"

Or 'EU provides funding for PCR tests so vaxxed parents can take their children on a well-earned holiday'.

Can't wait to see the Dublin Live headline on this. Something like: 'Taxes of hard working families to go through the roof next year to pay for PUPers trips to Lanzo.'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Tenzor07 wrote: »

It actually should read:

"Government to fund pre-travel testing via EU fund as agreed 2 weeks ago so the Irish public can avail of unnecessary test to go abroad"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭josip

You left out the "by plane" bit. :)

• Advertisement

The Minister just said on Claire Byrne that people must pay for their own tests in private test centres. (If they are unvaccinated or haven't previously had covid). What am I missing? You can't use a HSE test to travel.

CZ 453 wrote: »
    The Minister just said on Claire Byrne that people must pay for their own tests in private test centres. (If they are unvaccinated or haven't previously had covid). What am I missing? You can't use a HSE test to travel.

er... the independent article that's been discussed over the last couple of pages

• Registered Users Posts: 28 doyled4

sheepish97 wrote: »
    Flying to Portugal from Dublin tomorrow non-essentially. J1 got canceled last year and I will be busy after July 19th finishing my master’s thesis until the end of august and will then be starting work the first week of September. Traveling with my girlfriend who is fully vaccinated. Booked the security fast track. Fingers crossed we don’t run into any issues. 🀞

Best of luck, could you let us know how you get on? Similar situation for me but on the 5th of July and we're both fully vaccinated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Has anybody heard when the US is opening up to travel?

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Tazz T wrote: »
    er... the independent article that's been discussed over the last couple of pages

Minister Smyth's interview on Claire Byrne was an hour ago. The article is void?

That said there's no other source that I can see yet on what he said. I'll post it here once the show is uploaded on RTE's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

josip wrote: »

Or it could.be just coded to come live on the 19th. You don't need someone to physically open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Southeasterly

Now fully vaccinated with flights to Spain booked.

Just realised that the vaccination card I received is in my married name, but my passport and tickets are in my maiden name.
    Does anyone have any thoughts how this will impact my EU green cert, will it be possible to get it issued in my maiden name?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mike91

Hi,

I am having an issue with my employer, they have released a form to the staff regarding travel after the 19th of july using the DCC.

The first three questions are:

1, Are you fully vaccinated

2, when do you expect to be fully vaccinated,

3, the departure and arrival dates. And the name of the country you are travelling to.

My question is, are these demands legally a violation of my privacy rights.

I am willing to sign to say the country i will be travelling to is using the DCC and a European union country and if any changes are made to the status of the country are made while I am there and the Irish government inform me i will inform my employer and I am willing to sign to say that I have factored in the days I need for the 5 day return PCR test.

I felt uncomfortable reading those first 3 questions and I am taking the matter up with HR but any information would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

mike91 wrote: »
    Hi,

My answers would be -

1, Are you fully vaccinated - None of your business

2, when do you expect to be fully vaccinated, - none of your business

3, the departure and arrival dates. And the name of the country you are travelling to. - none of your business.

Ive posted about this before and an employer wouldnt have a leg to stand on if you took this to the WRC. Its none of their business what you do on your own time or on your annual leave.

Advertisement