Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Chuck Norris 2021

Hi

Questions re travelling without DCC in July . Any help is appreciated. We were hoping to visit Lake Garda in Italy

Italy - will need to isolate for 10 days and inform health authority of our arrival? Is antigen test required for all passengers?

Just wondering if I've missed something here. I'm travelling to Italy before the 19th, so won't have the DCC. I assume they'll still accept a negative antigen test (even thought I'll be fully vaccinated) and that I won't have to quarantine? Just checked https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/ITA/7001 and can't see anything else. Has there been some change?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Just wondering if I've missed something here. I'm travelling to Italy before the 19th, so won't have the DCC. I assume they'll still accept a negative antigen test (even thought I'll be fully vaccinated) and that I won't have to quarantine? Just checked https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/ITA/7001 and can't see anything else. Has there been some change?
    Thanks

The fine for non-essential travel may still be in place. Set to be reviewed/renewed during the first week of July.

Tazz T wrote: »
    The fine for non-essential travel may still be in place. Set to be reviewed/renewed during the first week of July.

Thanks! Luckily I've got some work to do there so I'll be fine from that point of view, I'll have a letter from my employer and my supplier in Italy. Just reading the above post and some of the responses I was worried that Italy had introduced something new. I'll be going June 11th so it's at a point that they have the DCC but I won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

You're grand then. I don't know about Italy, but I know Greece has been accepting the cardboard vax cards as proof of vax from US visitors, so you may not even need the test. Maybe check some Italian travel fora.

Tazz T wrote: »
    You're grand then. I don't know about Italy, but I know Greece has been accepting the cardboard vax cards as proof of vax from US visitors, so you may not even need the test. Maybe check some Italian travel fora.

Thanks. I just thought I'd missed something and could find nothing online. They'll accept proof of vaccination I think but may do an antigen for the sake of it rather than risk issues. What's the current thinking on the extension of the travel fine? Will it happen? I volunteered to do some work while on hols just to bypass it! I might cancel it if I don't need to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Quechyquat

Thanks. I just thought I'd missed something and could find nothing online. They'll accept proof of vaccination I think but may do an antigen for the sake of it rather than risk issues. What's the current thinking on the extension of the travel fine? Will it happen? I volunteered to do some work while on hols just to bypass it! I might cancel it if I don't need to!
    Quechyquat wrote: »
    From the Italian Foreign Ministry online travel tool for travel from Ireland:

"Based on your answers, you can enter Italy. Read carefully the information provided below.

Prime Ministerial Decree of March 2, 2021 and Order of June 18, 2021 of the Minister of Health set forth provisions for travelling abroad until July 30, 2021.

In order to enter/return to Italy, you must:

1. Fill out a digital Passenger Locator Form (only in case of lack of necessary tools to fill out the dPLF, you can use a paper-based self-declaration) and inform your local health authorities in Italy once you arrive.
    2. Present to the carrier and any other authorised person, an EU digital Covid Certificate showing proof that you have either:
    - been vaccinated against COVID-19 with an EMA authorised vaccine and you have completed the prescribed vaccination cycle since at least fourteen days;
    - received a negative result of a molecular or antigenic test carried out in the 48 hours before your arrival;
    - recovered from COVID-19 and you are no longer under prescription of self-isolation.
    3. Inform local Health Authority of your arrival.

If you are unable to obtain an EU Digital Covid Certificate, you can enter Italy, but you must:

1. Inform your local Health Authority
    2. Self-isolate for 10 days
    3. Undergo a molecular or antigenic test, carried out by means of a swab, at the end of the 10-day self-isolation. "

There are some exemptions for urgent work/health needs etc. but it would appear to be quarantine if no DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ashdublinc13

Hi

The last paragraph says if you are unable to obtain DCC you must self isolate for 10 days. Am I reading it incorrectly?

"Based on your answers, you can enter Italy. Read carefully the information provided below.

Prime Ministerial Decree of March 2, 2021 and Order of June 18, 2021 of the Minister of Health set forth provisions for travelling abroad until July 30, 2021.

1. Fill out a digital Passenger Locator Form (only in case of lack of necessary tools to fill out the dPLF, you can use a paper-based self-declaration) and inform your local health authorities in Italy once you arrive.

2. Present to the carrier and any other authorised person, an EU digital Covid Certificate showing proof that you have either:

- been vaccinated against COVID-19 with an EMA authorised vaccine and you have completed the prescribed vaccination cycle since at least fourteen days;

- received a negative result of a molecular or antigenic test carried out in the 48 hours before your arrival;

- recovered from COVID-19 and you are no longer under prescription of self-isolation.

If you are unable to obtain an EU Digital Covid Certificate, you can enter Italy, but you must:

3. Undergo a molecular or antigenic test, carried out by means of a swab, at the end of the 10-day self-isolation. "

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Thanks! Luckily I've got some work to do there so I'll be fine from that point of view, I'll have a letter from my employer and my supplier in Italy. Just reading the above post and some of the responses I was worried that Italy had introduced something new. I'll be going June 11th so it's at a point that they have the DCC but I won't.

My daughter returned to Italy last month. She was stopped by the Gardai but paperwork from her employer was sufficient. She did however require a clear PCR within 48 hours of take off to comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I recall this policy was dropped (quietly) shortly after it was brought in with fanfare last year? 

They hardly re-introduced it again?

It was dropped when they introduced the green country system last year but was reintroduced once the government said no international travel. We have had several reminders of the policy since.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RedPaddyX

pc7 wrote: »
    I am actually gobsmacked by this, are they trying to make people stay here and spend?

Watching full stadiums at the Euros and this is the sh1te we have to listen too.

“The Minister of State for Public Procurement and eGovernment said if there is no major outbreak of the Delta variant here and cases numbers stay down then the Government will be in a position to reopen international travel.“

This is illogical - why would we care about people going traveling abroad if we have uptick of Delta here (which is guaranteed to happen like every other variant). All returning passengers will be vaccinated of negative PCR. Utter madness. This government have lost the run of themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

RedPaddyX wrote: »
    “The Minister of State for Public Procurement and eGovernment said if there is no major outbreak of the Delta variant here and cases numbers stay down then the Government will be in a position to reopen international travel.“

This is illogical - why would we care about people going traveling abroad if we have uptick of Delta here (which is guaranteed to happen like every other variant). All returning passengers will be vaccinated of negative PCR. Utter madness. This government have lost the run of themselves.

Well that's travel ffed then.

Delta will be the main variant in Europe by mid-July.

Not that it really matters as the continent will be mostly vaccinated and hospitalizations and deaths negligible.

We've agreed to sign up to the Certificate, i cannot seeing them reneging on it but who knows.

Hi

The last paragraph says if you are unable to obtain DCC you must self isolate for 10 days. Am I reading it incorrectly?

Thanks

I've read the information on the reopen europe website again and it appears that there is no quarantine if you provide a negative test so all good!

No quarantine is imposed on travellers arriving from EU Member States and Schengen Associated Countries who are able to provide a pre-departure negative COVID-19 test. If you are unable to show proof of a molecular or antigenic test, you can enter Italy but you must:

Inform the Local Health Authority of reference as soon as you enter Italy
    Self-isolate for 10 days
    take another molecular or antigenic test at the end of the 10-day self-isolation.

This is from a section separate to the DCC requirements.

Quechyquat wrote: »
    There are some exemptions for urgent work/health needs etc. but it would appear to be quarantine if no DCC.

I think I'm ok. As per the extract in my post above from the reopen EU website. It was updated today so I'd hope it's correct. Thanks for the info.

Edit; I've just looked on the Italian website and it does indeed appear to state that quarantine is required without the DCC. Totally confused now. A few weeks to go yet so hopefully the picture will become clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

This government has lost the run of themselves now tbh. The mixed messaging is criminal

The effect this is having on people's mental health is massive

I think I'm ok. As per the extract in my post above from the reopen EU website. It was updated today so I'd hope it's correct. Thanks for the info.

Edit; I've just looked on the Italian website and it does indeed appear to state that quarantine is required without the DCC. Totally confused now. A few weeks to go yet so hopefully the picture will become clearer.

It won't. They are making it more confusing on purpose IMO..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

They'll be happy to allow confusion run through until mid August and then large cohort of people who may have holidayed abroad will not.

Don't rule out a 2 week delay on the 19th July date IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

Am I totally confused now, I’m booked for Spain august 1st with wife and 3 small kids, possibly neither parent vaccinated or at least not fully with 2 shots.

Am I right in thinking we adults both need to get a private antigen test here in Ireland 48hours before departure and is that then a DCC token in effect or is there another layer to go to get a DCC (I don’t know what digital cert actually is!)

Then before we return home, we’ll get a pcr test for parents and one child over 7yo, again by a private company in Spain and that is our proof, but does that need another DCC??? Can’t understand how two private testing companies in Ireland and Spain could link together for DCC

Please, If you can, help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

They'll be happy to allow confusion run through until mid August and then large cohort of people who may have holidayed abroad will not.

Don't rule out a 2 week delay on the 19th July date IMO.

Would agree with this. Makes me doubly determined to not holiday here and also to be on the first plane out of here when we are “allowed”.

Does the 12 hour rule apply for most EU countries? We had our outbound cancelled, so I rebooked via Stansted, I changed the flights again when Italy announced the new restrictions on the UK. Initially we'd have only been in Stansted about 3 hours, but that flight got cancelled so it would have been 20 or so hours. Hopefully the rest of the trip will be less stressful!

I can't say but seriously, avoid the UK. They do not know what's going on.

Just to be clear, at no stage did any official from a state authority take issue with my paperwork.... Just Ryanair that nearly left me stranded.

Am I totally confused now, I’m booked for Spain august 1st with wife and 3 small kids, possibly neither parent vaccinated or at least not fully with 2 shots.

Am I right in thinking we adults both need to get a private antigen test here in Ireland 48hours before departure and is that then a DCC token in effect or is there another layer to go to get a DCC (I don’t know what digital cert actually is!)

Then before we return home, we’ll get a pcr test for parents and one child over 7yo, again by a private company in Spain and that is our proof, but does that need another DCC??? Can’t understand how two private testing companies in Ireland and Spain could link together for DCC

There is no point giving an explanation to what you will need now as the government will more than likely change everything several times between now and then.

Tbey have already begun a fear campaign through their media outlets to confuse and bewilder people in the hope of getting to the return of schools when they know most won't be able to travel..

Honestly I think they are liable to stop anyone from travelling at all now as they have let this whole situation go to their heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

TefalBrain wrote: »
    There is no point giving an explanation to what you will need now as the government will more than likely change everything several times between now and then.

Tbey have already begun a fear campaign through their media outlets to confuse and bewilder people in the hope of getting to the return of schools when they know most won't be able to travel..

Honestly I think they are liable to stop anyone from travelling at all now as they have let this whole situation go to their heads.

Yeah I get that chops and changes coming but for my own head, as of expected 19th July “opening” is my above info correct?

Either way, I’m going on that holiday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Keep an eye on these websites:
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/digital_covid_certificate.html

https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/ESP/7001

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/

If you are not vaccinated, keep an eye on the individual country testing requirements. Part of the challenge of getting the digital cert up and running is that all private test providers across the EU will have to be able to send information to the digital cert portal when you get tested. Hopefully it will come together.

If you are due to be vaccinated soon after travelling, be aware that people may be refused vaccination unless they self-isolate for the required period after travel - something to bear in mind when planning dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I see on Spanish news that a Dig. green cert will allow me to go back to Ireland, and for kids a PCR test , so will Ireland be stopping me at the airport or whatever >?

I can't say but seriously, avoid the UK. They do not know what's going on.

Just to be clear, at no stage did any official from a state authority take issue with my paperwork.... Just Ryanair that nearly left me stranded.

Have already moved the flights back to Ireland when Italy announced the new restrictions.

I guess trying to keep staff fully informed and trained must be difficult with the every changing rules. Travel is stressful enough at times without that though.

TefalBrain wrote: »
    It won't. They are making it more confusing on purpose IMO..

If it was at our end I'd expect that, but not the Italians, they're eager to get tourists in. I'm also surprised as;
    1. I thought there was a 6 week grace or introduction period, so I can't see why the alternative of a test isn't accepted in that time.

2. The open EU website tells a different story, i.e. that there's no quarantine for people who take a test but have no DCC.

3. They're accepting people from outside the EU with tests from certain countries.

Hoping that information is out of date or got lost in translation. Can't see anything in the press either about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I’m doing exactly the same, don’t panic. In order for you to enter Spain you need a Antigen test for all those over 12 years old if not jabbed done within 48hrs of arrival to Spain. You don’t need the DCC to leave this dump that’s all BS from those idiots in so called charge.

Unfortunately you will need PCR for your return to our wonderful island.

Gosafe offer Antigen test for €29 if it’s of any use to you.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

TomSweeney wrote: »
    I see on Spanish news that a Dig. green cert will allow me to go back to Ireland, and for kids a PCR test , so will Ireland be stopping me at the airport or whatever >?

Your kids will be denied boarding without the tests
    So you wouldn't get to Ireland at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭CZ 453

This is my understanding of it. Antigens this side are about 50 euro and PCRs in Spain range from 80-150euro. Minister Smyth said today that the private test centre will provide you with the test result and covid travel cert/barcode (in Ireland). Not sure if the Spanish private test providers are doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

So in the space of one day, we’ve had articles in the Independent re free PCR tests to be provided to the Irish public for travel under the DCC. We then have the relevant minister on Claire Byrne stating they would not be free and not guaranteeing July 19th for DCC?

This Government seems to have an agenda against our airports, airlines, connectivity and future. They should be promoting visitors who qualify for the Cert like their EU counterparts are doing.

Good old ISAG loving Claire couldn’t wait to have Aoife Mc didn’t want to reopen anything ever on to scaremonger to her hearts content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

People do not need the DGC to travel just comply with what ever country you are travelling to entry requirements. Simple for those not getting jabbed that is.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Advertisement