Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

Marty Bird wrote: »
    I’m doing exactly the same, don’t panic. In order for you to enter Spain you need a Antigen test for all those over 12 years old if not jabbed done within 48hrs of arrival to Spain. You don’t need the DCC to leave this dump that’s all BS from those idiots in so called charge.

Unfortunately you will need PCR for your return to our wonderful island.

Gosafe offer Antigen test for €29 if it’s of any use to you.

Cheers thanks, it’s all getting very convoluted so glad to hear it’s as I hoped / thought.

To be honest, I don’t mind even paying for 3 x pcr tests on the way home….once kids are getting a good outdoor holiday for two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

There will be no more lockdowns or restrictions. The public finances are absolutely crippled. That should be the lead headline on RTE not some variant that doesn't matter a jot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

TefalBrain wrote: »
    There will be no more lockdowns or restrictions. The public finances are absolutely crippled. That should be the lead headline on RTE not some variant that doesn't matter a jot.

I hope you're right, however those who are making the decisions on continuing the Lockdown/restrictions, i.e. Holohan, Martin, Varadkar etc. are fully insulated from any crippling of public finances and will retire with massive Golden Parachute pensions or a nice cushy job in the private sector with a public pension too... Sure I've even heard talk of "President T. Holohan" !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

So in the space of one day, we’ve had articles in the Independent re free PCR tests to be provided to the Irish public for travel under the DCC. We then have the relevant minister on Claire Byrne stating they would not be free and not guaranteeing July 19th for DCC?

This Government seems to have an agenda against our airports, airlines, connectivity and future. They should be promoting visitors who qualify for the Cert like their EU counterparts are doing.

Good old ISAG loving Claire couldn’t wait to have Aoife Mc didn’t want to reopen anything ever on to scaremonger to her hearts content.

It's had to believe that it is simple incompetency. There must be some mendacity behind it. But then again who in power is competent of such Machiavellianism and what is their objective?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

So in the space of one day, we’ve had articles in the Independent re free PCR tests to be provided to the Irish public for travel under the DCC. We then have the relevant minister on Claire Byrne stating they would not be free and not guaranteeing July 19th for DCC?

This Government seems to have an agenda against our airports, airlines, connectivity and future. They should be promoting visitors who qualify for the Cert like their EU counterparts are doing.

Good old ISAG loving Claire couldn’t wait to have Aoife Mc didn’t want to reopen anything ever on to scaremonger to her hearts content.

And now the rte 6.01 lead story is the massive outbreak in Athlone...

...of 14 cases in young people who have experienced the life threatening symptoms of the common cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Tazz T wrote: »
    And now the rte 6.01 lead story is the massive outbreak in Athlone...

...of 14 cases in young people who have experienced the life threatening symptoms of the common cold.

Cured by a Lemsip.

What happens if someone tests positive before they depart for home when abroad? Will insurance cover cost of extra stay and where would you stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

gansi wrote: »
    What happens if someone tests positive before they depart for home when abroad? Will insurance cover cost of extra stay and where would you stay.

Not sure but it's one of the reasons I wouldn't travel until fully vaccinated. The thoughts of an extended spell in a hotel room doesn't appeal tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I can't say but seriously, avoid the UK. They do not know what's going on.

Just to be clear, at no stage did any official from a state authority take issue with my paperwork.... Just Ryanair that nearly left me stranded.

Realistically, I think you mean avoid connecting flights with Ryanair.

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Not sure but it's one of the reasons I wouldn't travel until fully vaccinated. The thoughts of an extended spell in a hotel room doesn't appeal tbh.

But what if one tested positive against one of the new variants even if vaccinated. Could that happen. Am the same as you being stuck in a hotel room has zero appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

But what if one tested positive against one of the new variants even if vaccinated. Could that happen. Am the same as you being stuck in a hotel room has zero appeal.

Or an old variant. But it's a risk you take.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

In Andalusia and the canaries (and perhaps elsewhere) all tourists are being provided with Covid cover free of charge.

This covers the cost of quarantine in your hotel, any hospitalisation ( if warranted) and flight home

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    Vaccination status is your own private medical information, they have zero right to it. I'd be telling them in no uncertain terms that you will not be divulging your medical history to them.

As for the last question, it's none of their business what you do in your free time, you're under no obligation to tell them.

And the flip side of that one is they also have a duty of care to your work colleagues. This is one of the very difficult points for some employers at this stage. Assessing the vaccinated/recovered status of employees will
    Likely discharge their duties. If, however, they are unaware of the status and it is an indoor/office type job then they will likely be advised to take additional precautions for those persons, greater than usual separation from their colleagues, full time mask wearing etc.

Or an old variant. But it's a risk you take.

Yes indeed the days of just hopping on a plane are gone for the moment anyway. The whole thing seems like hassle now. Maybe things will settle down though.

"Variants" aren't a new disease, they're the same virus!

I mean what if you break your collarbone or leg and have to stay in a hotel room until well enough to travel or have someone fly over from Ireland to assist you?

The World is full of risk and chances my friend!

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    "Variants" aren't a new disease, they're the same virus!

I mean what if you break your collarbone or leg and have to stay in a hotel room until well enough to travel or have someone fly over from Ireland to assist you?

The World is full of risk and chances my friend!

Yeah but what are the chances of that plus pre covid you wouldn’t be treated like a leper, locked up in a room etc. There’s also the problem of time off from work which might mean allowing for the possible quarantine if it arose. All such a pain, not much adventure in there!

Yeah but what are the chances of that plus pre covid you wouldn’t be treated like a leper, locked up in a room etc. There’s also the problem of time off from work which might mean allowing for the possible quarantine if it arose. All such a pain, not much adventure in there!

I'd be more worried about getting hit by a motorbike crossing the road really...

But it's down to the individual, weigh up the pro's and con's, assess the risk for yourself and go from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Alan Kelly wants the reopening of international travel postponed until all over 60s are vaccinated. I think the inevitable outcome of this is that July 19th isn’t going to happen. I despair of this absolute shambles of a country.

Alan Kelly wants the reopening of international travel postponed until all over 60s are vaccinated. I think the inevitable outcome of this is that July 19th isn’t going to happen. I despair of this absolute shambles of a country.

You worry too much :)

Spain's government, or at least the canary Islands government is paying for comprehensive insurance for all tourists including medical and for 15 days quarantine in the event of a positive test up to a limit of €5000 at the same hotel you stay at
    100% free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

mike91 wrote: »
    Thanks I feel like it is a violation of my privacy rights because technically all they need to see is a negative test 5 days after my return. I just dont have the information to formally backup my thoughts. The passenger locator form and DCC should cover everything I dont see why I have to do the same thing again with my empliyer or face disciplinary action for not divulging the information they are demanding

I know you've gotten a number of helpful responses to your situation. I just want to add, as things stand (who the hell knows what will happen now) if you return/enter Ireland on or after 19th July with PCR/vaccine/antibodies with Digital Green Cert, you have no requirement to quarentine or isolate at all on your return. So I certainly wouldn't be taking 5 days annual leave or isolating or going for a day 5 test unless you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

all this uncertainty makes me anxious already and I won't fly to dublin until 23.7... I'm currently getting vaxed in other EU country, awaiting 2nd dose of Pfizer. Is there any rule that to be considered fully vaccinated, there must pass some time since second dose? I really want to avoid spending extra money for a PCR test, when I will have that DCC already, but maybe there won't be 14 days since my second dose. I wonder if Ireland will be actually obliged to start accepting DCC and foreign EU travellers into Ireland, or they can extend this 'introductory' period for rollout of DCC and say that vaccinated people still need PCR test and quarantine. Baffled

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Won't someone think of the 59 year olds!?

Klonker wrote: »
    I know you've gotten a number of helpful responses to your situation. I just want to add, as things stand (who the hell knows what will happen now) if you return/enter Ireland on or after 19th July with PCR/vaccine/antibodies with Digital Green Cert, you have no requirement to quarentine or isolate at all on your return. So I certainly wouldn't be taking 5 days annual leave or isolating or going for a day 5 test unless you want to.

That's perfectly true, but a vaccinated person can still catch and spread the virus
    What that employer should do is require all returning to work after a break to do an antigen test and work should pay for it
    No more palava
    That's what I'd offer to any employer either, the results of my pcr test that I had to do to return or an antigen if fully vaxxed as it will pick up if I've virus asymptomatically

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mike91

Klonker wrote: »

Thanks, as it so happens half of my leave will be away and half at home so its suits me fine, I'm trying to stay up to date with the goings on but there are so many contradictory statements floating around in the news it's a wreckhead, I wasnt aware I wouldn't need the second 5 day test upon returning. I'm not going until the middle of august so I really hope most of the bumps are wrinkled out in terms of information by then

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mike91

That's perfectly true, but a vaccinated person can still catch and spread the virus
    What that employer should do is require all returning to work after a break to do an antigen test and work should pay for it
    No more palava
    That's what I'd offer to any employer either, the results of my pcr test that I had to do to return or an antigen if fully vaxxed as it will pick up if I've virus asymptomatically

I would have no problem with that either

Getting off topic here, but by September almost everyone will be Vacc'd so why insist on Antigen tests for Covid?
    Can always remember people coming into the office with a dose of the flu, no one asked them to get a test to come to the office?

Should retail workers all get a daily Antigen test too?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Getting off topic here, but by September almost everyone will be Vacc'd so why insist on Antigen tests for Covid?
    Can always remember people coming into the office with a dose of the flu, no one asked them to get a test to come to the office?

Should retail workers all get a daily Antigen test too?

Lidl staff get a daily antigen actually
    As for flu, please don't be comparing it to covid

Lidl staff get a daily antigen actually
    As for flu, please don't be comparing it to covid

Doesn't answer the question, why are you wanting to test every office worker with the Antigen test every day when they are fully Vacc'd?

And how about Tesco or Dunnes? No testing?

Don't compare it? Sure didn't the medical experts tell us that when you're fully vacc'd it reduces the effects of Covid down to those of the flu at worst?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Uhar14

I've read through a lot of the thread, sorry if this has been answered already... I need to travel to Spain on Thursday due to a family illness.

I'm fully vaccinated over the 14 days, and have the covid 19 vaccination record that you get when the vaccine is finished. Do I still need the pcr test to get into Spain?

Advertisement