Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Uhar14 wrote: »
    I've read through a lot of the thread, sorry if this has been answered already... I need to travel to Spain on Thursday due to a family illness.

I'm fully vaccinated over the 14 days, and have the covid 19 vaccination record that you get when the vaccine is finished. Do I still need the pcr test to get into Spain?

Sorry you find yourself dealing with this in these difficult travel times.
    Hearsay evidence here, particularly posts by faceman would suggest that if you input the vaccination data you have into the spanish form needed for travel, that it generates a scanable code. Spain only needs an antigen test from unvaccinated persons. So getting into Spain shouldn't be a problem once you have that code. The only issue you might face is getting on the plane.
    Look back on his posts. Someone else might have more advice. Pcr to come home

Have already moved the flights back to Ireland when Italy announced the new restrictions.

I guess trying to keep staff fully informed and trained must be difficult with the every changing rules. Travel is stressful enough at times without that though.

It's the job. I'm required to know my business as are you I assume.

It very nearly cost me in the thousands because she refused to listen or read the website she told me to look up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

That's perfectly true, but a vaccinated person can still catch and spread the virus
    What that employer should do is require all returning to work after a break to do an antigen test and work should pay for it
    No more palava
    That's what I'd offer to any employer either, the results of my pcr test that I had to do to return or an antigen if fully vaxxed as it will pick up if I've virus asymptomatically

That employer should not require anything from anyone returning from abroad. Would he require it from the guy who spent the weekend in a hotel in Kerry? Would he require it with from the guy who want to the house party? From the guy spent about hours on a bus from Cork to Donegal? Why would you single out foreign travel which is the only one of those things that actual requires a PCR test for an unvaccinated person and I'd argue is safer due to that. There's a real hysteria in Ireland about foreign travel that's illogical.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Alan Kelly wants the reopening of international travel postponed until all over 60s are vaccinated. I think the inevitable outcome of this is that July 19th isn’t going to happen. I despair of this absolute shambles of a country.

I think its inevitable now that the July 19th date is not going to happen, their is mounting pressure on this weak government now from some opposition politicians as well as NPHET, this could potentially disrupt a lot of holiday plans, there are plenty of people who have booked accommodation and paid for flights off the back of this digital green cert announcement, so where does that leave these people?

I seen it mentioned in a previous post that the green cert will not be needed to gain entry to certain EU countries but I was of the understanding that without the green cert you could not travel?

Its all very contradictory and confusing what has been announced lately and tbh it really does make us the laughing stock of Europe

I think its inevitable now that the July 19th date is not going to happen, their is mounting pressure on this weak government now from some opposition politicians as well as NPHET, this could potentially disrupt a lot of holiday plans, there are plenty of people who have booked accommodation and paid for flights off the back of this digital green cert announcement, so where does that leave these people?

I seen it mentioned in a previous post that the green cert will not be needed to gain entry to certain EU countries but I was of the understanding that without the green cert you could not travel?

Its all very contradictory and confusing what has been announced lately and tbh it really does make us the laughing stock of Europe

It's the fine on non essential travel that's the real block to travel. That's due to expire early July but will probably be renewed to 18th July. Apart from the issue would be even vaccinated needing a PCR and quarentining on return both of which are as it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Noworries!

Hi all,
    Does anybody know what travel insurance policies will cover costs if you are unable to travel home due to a child or partner becoming unwell with Covid. Most of them cover the individual who is unwell but if you cant travel home due to a child testing positive, what happens then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,997 ✭✭✭normanoffside

gansi wrote: »
    But what if one tested positive against one of the new variants even if vaccinated. Could that happen. Am the same as you being stuck in a hotel room has zero appeal.

If you're vaccinated you won't need a test to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Poland now introducing 7 day quarantine on travellers from Britain because of Delta variant. This follows on from Italy last week.

To be honest, that is my major concern about travel. If the Delta numbers increase here, I’m worried that other countries will impose quarantines on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

revelman wrote: »
    Poland now introducing 7 day quarantine on travellers from Britain because of Delta variant. This follows on from Italy last week.

To be honest, that is my major concern about travel. If the Delta numbers increase here, I’m worried that other countries will impose quarantines on us.

Unfortunately due to our crazy behaviour a few months back it may well be retribution.

Amazing really that an island nation is determined to close itself off from the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭embraer170

This whole EU Digital COVID certificate could turn into a mess, and I am not sure it provides that many benefits compared to a traditional proof of vaccination/testing/recovery that have been accepted until now.

I really hope we don't end up in a a ridiculous situation where non-EU travellers will be able to enter and travel within the EU on a traditional paper cert, but EU travellers will require a DCC.

--

My story so far: I have a valid EU DCC issued more than two weeks ago. I had a bit of free time yesterday and tested it against the currently available EU State DCC validity checkers (a number countries have made mobile phone applications). My experience so far:

Germany / COVPassCheck: Invalid certificate
    Belgium / CovidScan: Valid / green (Belgium is not the issuing country)
    Czech Republic / cTeckla (not 100% sure this app is DCC compatible): Cannot read the QR code
    Luxembourg / COVID Check: Accurately reads the certificate (and displays all details accurately) but gives two errors (non conform date of birth / date format) "Invalid"
    Switzerland / COVID Certificate Check (perhaps not meant to be compatible with the EU system?): Accurately reads the certificate data but result marked as "invalid"
    Spain / VerificaC19: "Check unsuccessful"

I have mixed vaccines (AZ followed by Pfizer 12 weeks later) so I wonder if that has messed up something.

• Advertisement

Who issued you the EU DCC, did you apply for it, if so how long did you wait.? How do you get it help please!!!

I was vaccinated in another EU State (and got it from there).

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Doesn't answer the question, why are you wanting to test every office worker with the Antigen test every day when they are fully Vacc'd?

And how about Tesco or Dunnes? No testing?

Don't compare it? Sure didn't the medical experts tell us that when you're fully vacc'd it reduces the effects of Covid down to those of the flu at worst?

I didn't say that
    I was referring to testing workers who came back from holidays
    Just make that policy
    Cuts out the palava of asking where they were which is none of their business

Delta is gonna be dominate across all of Europe pretty soon imo so won't make any sense quarentining because of it at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

embraer170 wrote: »
    This whole EU Digital COVID certificate could turn into a mess, and I am not sure it provides that many benefits compared to a traditional proof of vaccination/testing/recovery that have been accepted until now.

I really hope we don't end up in a a ridiculous situation where non-EU travellers will be able to enter and travel within the EU on a traditional paper cert, but EU travellers will require a DCC.

--

My story so far: I have a valid EU DCC issued more than two weeks ago. I had a bit of free time yesterday and tested it against the currently available EU State DCC validity checkers (a number countries have made mobile phone applications). My experience so far:

Germany / COVPassCheck: Invalid certificate
    Belgium / CovidScan: Valid / green (Belgium is not the issuing country)
    Czech Republic / cTeckla (not 100% sure this app is DCC compatible): Cannot read the QR code
    Luxembourg / COVID Check: Accurately reads the certificate (and displays all details accurately) but gives two errors (non conform date of birth / date format) "Invalid"
    Switzerland / COVID Certificate Check (perhaps not meant to be compatible with the EU system?): Accurately reads the certificate data but result marked as "invalid"
    Spain / VerificaC19: "Check unsuccessful"

I have mixed vaccines (AZ followed by Pfizer 12 weeks later) so I wonder if that has messed up something.
    I'd say it will be a complete farce tbh. My brother in law and 2 friends went to Spain this last week on a golfing holiday and 2 of them are fully vaccinated and had zero issues either leaving Ireland or arriving in Spain.. They produced their HSE vaccine cards along with passports at Salou border control and they continued on.

Please can somome tell me the correct information.
    I am going to Spain on the 20th July. Non essential travel( well its essential to me).
    2 scenarios.

1. I am unvaccinated, i am getting a pcr test (didnt know about antigen until now) within 48 hrs of entering spain have it booked and paid for, all going well its negative. So can you tell me do i need this phantom thing called Digital Covert cert or will a letter from the test company randox do the job or will i need both and if so how the fudge do you get the digital covid cert.
    2. My partner is fully vax, trying to get a document from hse to confirm her vacination status but no joy. So how can she get the proof she is fully vaccinated and will this do when we go to Spain or does she need the proof of vaccine and the digital covid cert. Lads the government are really making this complicated, iv spent hours online and hours ringing gov departments and NOT ONE could actually tell me how to get the digital covid cert.. haha oh god i have to laugh about it because its so ridiculous you couldn't make it up.

To the best of my knowledge, the DCC is only a tool for the vaccinated to bother with or people within 9 maths of a covid recovery
    Everyone else ,just bring the randox cert to the check in desk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭josip

If it was at our end I'd expect that, but not the Italians, they're eager to get tourists in. I'm also surprised as;
    1. I thought there was a 6 week grace or introduction period, so I can't see why the alternative of a test isn't accepted in that time.

2. The open EU website tells a different story, i.e. that there's no quarantine for people who take a test but have no DCC.

3. They're accepting people from outside the EU with tests from certain countries.

Hoping that information is out of date or got lost in translation. Can't see anything in the press either about it.

Email the Italian embassy in Ireland and ask them what the procedure is.
    Include your passport number in your email signature.
    Print out and bring with you.
    (I got a reply from the French embassy within 24 hours, the Belgians are a bit sluggish)

Yes but how did the procesa work, what are the mechanics involved in getting it.

Different countries have different approaches. In my case, I had to request it from the hospital where I received my vaccine (could attend in person or request it by email).

I know in Germany people can get it from pharmacies once they have a proof of vaccination (and the phamarcies are getting paid by the state to issue them).

In other countries, people get them automatically.

It is more than disappointing that there is still no clarity on the approach that will be taken in Ireland.

If you're vaccinated you won't need a test to travel.

But couldn’t you still test positive for a variant even with vaccine, maybe highly unlikely but would be a headache to end up in this situation abroad. It’s just not that straightforward anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

gansi wrote: »
    But couldn’t you still test positive for a variant even with vaccine, maybe highly unlikely but would be a headache to end up in this situation abroad. It’s just not that straightforward anymore

But you won't be tested if you are vaccinated. That's the point of the cert

Paaaartae haha roll on the golf holidays, Golfing holiday for the lads, there a glorified lads drinking holiday but the lads use the golf card as an excuse so the other half doesn't say no or kink up a fuss haha.

Don't think they will be partying too much when in their late 50's early 60's.

• Advertisement

I hear ya man, im just buzzing about holidays. Dont mind me.

Can't wait myself. I'll be fully vaccinated this Friday then heading off for 3 weeks in August. Can't wait to see the back of this country for a while and it's Covid obsessions and misery. Really depressing when you see scenes from other countries getting on with living.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

TefalBrain wrote: »

I’ve an uncle in his mid 70’s who regularly goes on “golfing” holidays to Spain.

I went with him last year and he partied a lot more than me ! more than 30 years his junior.

So every department that issue them have to have that specific software or certificate template in place to issue it weather it be doctor, nurse, pharmacy or hospital. I don't think Ireland had that level of organisation, my doctor doesn't even have a computer for fudge sake.

Different places have taken their own local approach. I imagine in most EU states there is a centralised repository of vaccinate data, from where the information is pulled to issue the certificate.

What is not at all clear to me how a certificate is issued following a PCR/antigen tests. Are all the labs now meant to connected to some kind of centralised system. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

TefalBrain wrote: »

I want to put it on record that I was not the one who reported this post

:D

https://www.thejournal.ie/eu-digital-green-cert-international-travel-5474450-Jun2021/

I doubt anyone is surprised by this. Tony's not happy Leo went against his advise at the weekend.

Might make sense if they didn't allow travel with UK (even though North) but what sense could it make to block travel to EU countries with lower cases than us and lower percentage of Delta than us. They should be blocking us if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Klonker wrote: »
    Delta is gonna be dominate across all of Europe pretty soon imo so won't make any sense quarentining because of it at that stage.

I completely agree that it will be dominant across Europe. But we are a few weeks ahead of the rest of Europe (though a few weeks behind the U.K.). Exact same as Kent variant. My concern is about travelling in July and August. I wanted to go to Italy in July. I worry that if our Delta numbers go up, countries like Italy will impose quarantine on us like they have on U.K. travellers (even though Delta will become dominant in Italy by the end of the summer).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

https://www.thejournal.ie/eu-digital-green-cert-international-travel-5474450-Jun2021/

I doubt anyone is surprised by this. Tony's not happy Leo went against his advise at the weekend.

Might make sense if they didn't allow travel with UK (even though North) but what sense could it make to block travel to EU countries with lower cases than us and lower percentage of Delta than us. They should be blocking us if anything.

They are lining themselves up to do that. Deeply worrying. They should be embracing travel at this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

I completely agree that it will be dominant across Europe. But we are a few weeks ahead of the rest of Europe (though a few weeks behind the U.K.). Exact same as Kent variant. My concern is about travelling in July and August. I wanted to go to Italy in July. I worry that if our Delta numbers go up, countries like Italy will impose quarantine on us like they have on U.K. travellers

Isn't this the whole point of the EU digital green card, that individual member states can't just block citizens from another EU country from entry? My understanding of it was once those countries were signed up then they had no choice but to allow travel, if you were travelling to/from the UK then that's a different matter....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

NPHET need to be put firmly back in their box. Their advice is only that - advice. Government are the elected representatives that make decisions not solely focusing on Covid. Just shows how weak the Government is that NPHET actually think they’ve the authority to dictate our border controls, travel & connectivity and heck even foreign policy all in one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

The ultra conservative approach and mixed messaging is really frustrating. I can't see the logic in discouraging travel to Europe, when our numbers are worse than almost anywhere else. I imagine my family would be safer on a beach holiday in Europe than in Donegal.

As others have pointed out, the problem is the UK. There is a clear logic to those travel restrictions, but they are impossible to enforce, with everyone just going via Belfast. I do think travelling to the UK unvaccinated, without testing or quarantine is a bad idea. It's going to lead to multiple outbreaks here, and will ultimately prolong restrictions here for everyone.

Advertisement