Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

absolutely ridiculous Ireland has still hundreds of new cases every day despite no indoor dining and strictest rules to entry in the EU. Ignoring the fact that they are funneling travellers from UK into Republic via Northern Ireland, yet still insisting on a PCR and quarantine upon entry from UK, intentionally destroying airport jobs and travel industry here in the republic. With such a lockdown rules and the numbers of vaccinated people, we should be having now single digit of cases. And now threats that they will not adapt EU DCC on 19th and still require PCR testing and quarantine? What a shambles. I hope EU will do something about it because this is outrageous

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

rajqo wrote: »
    absolutely ridiculous Ireland has still hundreds of new cases every day despite no indoor dining and strictest rules to entry in the EU. Ignoring the fact that they are funneling travellers from UK into Republic via Northern Ireland, yet still insisting on a PCR and quarantine upon entry from UK, intentionally destroying airport jobs and travel industry here in the republic. With such a lockdown rules and the numbers of vaccinated people, we should be having now single digit of cases. And now threats that they will not adapt EU DCC on 19th and still require PCR testing and quarantine? What a shambles. I hope EU will do something about it because this is outrageous

Where was it said they won’t adopt DCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭pooman

They test people in hospital 3 times a day (shift change) and both his physician and nurse confirmed to my friend's father who was in for surgery that the same person testing positive 3 times a day go down as 3 positives.. 'cases' are meaningless.. making them the worst metric from which to adopt policy.. NPHET are frauds

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

Gael23 wrote: »
    Where was it said they won’t adopt DCC?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40319651.html

The decision to resume international travel on July 19 will depend on the level of cases and the rollout of the vaccination programme, he said, adding that it was important government “get the balance right.” 

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mike91

I have a feeling the comments made about not allowing unvaccinated travel even while adapting the DCC, might be a form of coercion for taking the Vaccine, as in trying to combat vaccine hesitancy with fear. Or am I being a bit tinfoil hat-ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

mike91 wrote: »
    I have a feeling the comments made about not allowing unvaccinated travel even while adapting the DCC, might be a form of coercion for taking the Vaccine, as in trying to combat vaccine hesitancy with fear. Or am I being a bit tinfoil hat-ish

Sometimes people think the government are scheming in the background to sow confusion and keep people at home, maybe. I wonder though is it just the case that they are incompetent and don’t really have a clue hence why they seem to contradict each other.

Most likely somewhere in the middle.

It would be a by product of a vaccine passport
    Personally I don't understand vaccine hesitancy
    Everything in life is choices,benefits versus downsides
    The vaccines win that one by the longest shot I've ever seen in my choices filled life

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MrMiyagi12345

Flying to the UK on Friday for the weekend. Fake reason to travel printed off. Figure it's unlikely I'll get stopped in any case. Good luck on me quarantining on Sunday when I return. Tempted to tweet Holohan a picture of myself maskless at the airport with a pint.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Sometimes people think the government are scheming in the background to sow confusion and keep people at home, maybe. I wonder though is it just the case that they are incompetent and don’t really have a clue hence why they seem to contradict each other.

A 'What I say goes' p*ssing contest

Its very frustrating. It seems like every other country in the EU and further can lay out and carry out clear plans except us.

It would be a by product of a vaccine passport
    Personally I don't understand vaccine hesitancy
    Everything in life is choices,benefits versus downsides
    The vaccines win that one by the longest shot I've ever seen in my choices filled life

I agree, I'm just wondering does it play a part. The DCC is more than just a vaccine passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I agree, I'm just wondering does it play a part. The DCC is more than just a vaccine passport.

The DCC is redundant for Irish vaxxed or not. Our gov hasn't opted into the spirit of it. It's like 'suppose we have to go along with it to be European but we'll change the rules as we go along'. Bit like the Brits with Brexit and the gfa.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭josip

Van.Bosch wrote: »

"never attribute to malice what can be explained by ignorance"

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Tazz T wrote: »
    The DCC is redundant for Irish vaxxed or not. Our gov hasn't opted into the spirit of it. It's like 'suppose we have to go along with it to be European but we'll change the rules as we go along'. Bit like the Brits with Brexit and the gfa.

The DCC is definitely going ahead for vaccinated of that there is no doubt but it's the unvaccinated or those with one jab that are going to get stiffed unfortunately. :mad: Luckily most EU countries are accepting the vaccine card from the HSE as proof of vaccination even if as i expect the system crashes for the first few days and people can't get the QR code they should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

TefalBrain wrote: »
    The DCC is definitely going ahead for vaccinated of that there is no doubt but it's the unvaccinated or those with one jab that are going to get stiffed unfortunately. :mad: Luckily most EU countries are accepting the vaccine card from the HSE as proof of vaccination even if as i expect the system crashes for the first few days and people can't get the QR code they should be okay.

Thats my point. The whole point of the DCC was to allow the unvaccinated to travel with an antigen test. Its utterly irrelevant if Ireland makes up its own rules. The biggest joke is that there is still no end in sight for the 2k fine that every politician and news outlet is conveniently ignoring one week out from the formal introduction of the DCC. It's a comedy show

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

I live in a rural town in the midlands and three Irish American families and another from Dubai are all holidaying here and are out and about immediately after arriving no quarantine or isolating

• Registered Users Posts: 9,996 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I live in a rural town in the midlands and three Irish American families and another from Dubai are all holidaying here and are out and about immediately after arriving no quarantine or isolating

Good luck to them, I’d pick a nicer place to Holiday myself tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

Good luck to them, I’d pick a nicer place to Holiday myself tbh.

Yes I agree but they are home to visit family

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

pooman wrote: »
    They test people in hospital 3 times a day (shift change) and both his physician and nurse confirmed to my friend's father who was in for surgery that the same person testing positive 3 times a day go down as 3 positives.. 'cases' are meaningless.. making them the worst metric from which to adopt policy.. NPHET are frauds

Positive swabs and positive cases are two different things.
    Thats why before the hack the positive swabs were always higher than the case numbers as they validated the info to remove duplicate people.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Maybe they are vaccinated? Weird they told you the day they arrived that they werent quarantining but didnt disclose their vaccination status to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Maybe they are vaccinated? Weird they told you the day they arrived that they werent quarantining but didnt disclose their vaccination status to you.

Indeed. Are we (for the second year running) going to launch a witch hunt against anyone travelling to Ireland? Thank god that we have no interest in tourism as otherwise such a strategy against vaccinated people might be considered economic suicide.

• Advertisement

Its very likely that they are vaccinated but the rules are test for release at day 5
    They won't have entered Ireland without agreeing to at least the day 5 test and will either have to have been tested or vaccinated to fly afaik
    The usual well known at this stage caution and personal responsibility by anyone around them should be applied and works

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Indeed. Are we (for the second year running) going to launch a witch hunt against anyone travelling to Ireland? Thank god that we have no interest in tourism as otherwise such a strategy against vaccinated people might be considered economic suicide.

That scumb@g Anthony Staines tweeted yesterday that only people interested in propping up rich airline shareholders want to see the return of aviation.

All 143000 employees out of work or at risk of losing their job are just greedy stock market speculators basically and not human beings.

Someone rightly asked him how did he think the vaccines were getting here without planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Positive swabs and positive cases are two different things.
    Thats why before the hack the positive swabs were always higher than the case numbers as they validated the info to remove duplicate people.

But is the point that with the hack, they can’t validate the duplicates anymore so just report swabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

How are you allowed to fly out. How did you come up with an excuse to use to prove your reason for travel is ESSENTIAL? Help me understand if you can.

We bought an apartment in Spain in October 2019. Got screwed out of €1500 by a cowboy builder last summer. Work half finished and he disappeared. Apartment has been sitting empty for a year. We have another builder lined up to finish the job on the 12th July. The guards might think it’s not essential we go but we are going to take the risk. Can’t wait, 4 weeks in the sun and no covid talk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

How are you allowed to fly out. How did you come up with an excuse to use to prove your reason for travel is ESSENTIAL? Help me understand if you can.

This old chestnut. As pointed out multiple times in this thread, the law does not prevent anyone from physically travelling. The law imposes a fine if you do

The Gardai aren’t really dishing out fines nor doing thorough checks at the airports.

The pandemic is over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

faceman wrote: »
    This old chestnut. As pointed out multiple times in this thread, the law does not prevent anyone from physically travelling. The law imposes a fine if you do

The Gardai aren’t really dishing out fines nor doing thorough checks at the airports.

The pandemic is over

The fine itself is ridiculous. Someone will challenge it and it will not survive appeal. Although that will require deep pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Solobally8 wrote: »
    We bought an apartment in Spain in October 2019. Got screwed out of €1500 by a cowboy builder last summer. Work half finished and he disappeared. Apartment has been sitting empty for a year. We have another builder lined up to finish the job on the 12th July. The guards might think it’s not essential we go but we are going to take the risk. Can’t wait, 4 weeks in the sun and no covid talk.
    Fine free travel is allowed with a "reasonable excuse" listed in the legislation

One of those is the suitably vague "(g) attend to vital family matters " or also "(i) fulfil a legal obligation" and if you are going to sign contracts for work on the family property investment, and supervise the work, then surely that fits into whats allowed.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/travelling_abroad_during_covid.html#l225d3

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

All this stuff just exposes the inaccuracies in the zero-risk quarantine rules. If you come here from a country with a lower infection rate, are tested and vaccinated, then most normal-minded people wouldn't bat an eyelid at you going about your business straight after arrival. The government has created laws with little logic and little enforcement that simply give oxygen to this kind of paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Has anybody here travelled abroad using the little HSE vaccine record card as proof of vaccination? If so, which country and any issues with it being accepted either at check-in or on arrival?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Mr.S wrote: »
    I have to disagree here. While they aren't checking everyone, some people do genuinely get quizzed a fair amount. Not everyone is waved through with nothing said.

Literally everyone I know has been waved through so based on my small sample size I am assuming that's the norm and its practically everyone.

The ones that are getting quizzed are likely screaming and roaring about their rights in the terminal.

The guards surely know themselves this is all a load of bollox at this stage. They won't be searching your suitcase looking for inflatable crocodiles and stuff.

Advertisement