Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

The focus of the Covid-19 briefing today seems to be all on variants that haven't happened yet. That says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

What's the general view of posters here if the government decide to drop adopting the EU travel scheme on July 19th (esp if the rest of the EU has been adopting it since July 1st) for a later date?

The only way it could happen is an explosion in hospital numbers and deaths and that's impossible with the vaccinations. This is over bar the scare tactics and the government have failed to read the room in a massive fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Quags

Hellrazer wrote: »
    If they do that - pilots, travel agents,publicans, restaurant owners and everyone else involved in the hospitality sector should march on the dail,block up the streets of dublin and not budge until the government backs down.

The pandemic is over and the idiots that are running the place need to be shown that they work for us and stop treating us like kids.

None of the above will happen by the way because we just protest like other countries.

Can't like this post enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I'm not sure if this map needs a comment, just fresh off the presses

2021w24_COVID19_EU_EEA_Subnational_Combined_traffic.png?itok=DYGOlh8v

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

What's the general view of posters here if the government decide to drop adopting the EU travel scheme on July 19th (esp if the rest of the EU has been adopting it since July 1st) for a later date?

I'll still be going on my holiday in august, myself and MrPC7 fully vaccinated, smallies under 6. Worse case I'll pay for tests if needed, I am going, not getting ripped off here again for another summer where I've too book pool times (once a day only!), meal times etc. I'd rather be in the sun, eating outside, swiming as much as we want etc. I've had enough, the vulnerable are vaccinated, there is no stopping Delta with the border, it is not so far impacting hospitals.

Personally I think they want to look like heros and all will go ahead the 5th and they may even have the certs ready a little earlier. Under promise, over deliver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

I'd be agin it, unless there is some sudden explosion in hospitalisations or deaths, which I don't see happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I'm not sure if this map needs a comment, just fresh off the presses

2021w24_COVID19_EU_EEA_Subnational_Combined_traffic.png?itok=DYGOlh8v

Why no data available for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

didnt pay the bitcoin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

pc7 wrote: »
    Have a friend who had a hospital procedure scheduled, did the mandatory covid test and its after coming back positive. She hasn't a sniffle, snot or ache, so you'd wonder how many people have no symptoms and are getting picked up like this rather in the test centers. It makes no sense that are numbers are so high compared to other European neighbours or have they stopped testing?

Bit off topic here but everyone admitted to hospital is tested and are continued to be tested regularly. How many of our hospital numbers are people that were admitted for something else? Like, if you tested 1,000 people randomly in Ireland you'd get a few positives so I'm sure we get a few positives like this in hospitals too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

dashoonage wrote: »
    didnt pay the bitcoin

Embarrassing.

We're telling people what they can and can't do on the basis of not having the full information available to us as we use Windows 7 and 20 year old computers in the public sector.

We are paying through the nose via this virus for our lack of investment in services.

• Advertisement

We're greyed out as we don't have a clue what we're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Embarrassing.

We're telling people what they can and can't do on the basis of not having the full information available to us as we use Windows 7 and 20 year old computers in the public sector.

We are paying through the nose via this virus for our lack of investment in services.

Ah they blaming everything that suits them on the hack it's pathetic. No numbers of deaths, oh it's the hack not the vaccines. No data that's vital for the intro of the green passport, oh it's the hack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Spain made the announcement about face masks today effective Saturday. No more masks outdoors.

Interestingly they also said:

Indoors, masks are not required in care homes or offices of essential services where the vaccination rate is above 80%

Masks also not required at concert type events or football stadiums regardless of attendance level if seated and social distancing maintained.

Taking steps closer to normality…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

What is a EHIC??

The European Health Insurance Card. Very handy to have if you need to visit a public hospital or doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭brickster69

Tazz T wrote: »
    We're greyed out as we don't have a clue what we're doing.

Ireland are not the only ones don't worry about that, and they will be nowhere near the worst in Europe in time.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

faceman wrote: »
    Spain made the announcement about face masks today effective Saturday. No more masks outdoors.

Interestingly they also said:

Indoors, masks are not required in care homes or offices of essential services where the vaccination rate is above 80%

Masks also not required at concert type events or football stadiums regardless of attendance level if seated and social distancing maintained.

Taking steps closer to normality…

Greece has also made outdoor masks optional today. The curfew is also gone.

https://news.gtp.gr/2021/06/23/greece-scraps-covid-19-mask-rule-outdoors-gets-ready-lift-curfew/

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Hellrazer wrote: »
    If they do that - pilots, travel agents,publicans, restaurant owners and everyone else involved in the hospitality sector should march on the dail,block up the streets of dublin and not budge until the government backs down.

The pandemic is over and the idiots that are running the place need to be shown that they work for us and stop treating us like kids.

None of the above will happen by the way because we just protest like other countries.

While I agree with some of your sentiment, I don't think this "pandemic" will ever be over, there will be a spike in cases next winter and the threat of new variants will always be there, I'm done putting my life on hold indefinitely, we put off the foreign holiday last year thinking everything will be back to normal in 2021, only to be spun the same yarn as last summer ie. stay at home and don't travel,

I will be going abroad this year regardless of what NPHET or the government advise, their will always be another variant just around the corner or a dark cloud on the horizon as Holohan keeps reminding us so I think it's time to just get with life and stop letting these "experts" dictate how to live our lives, life is too short

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The latest from Eamonn Ryan (From The Irish Times):
    He said the Government’s plan is to resume non-essential travel from July 19th, when the EU green cert comes into operation. Under the plan, those who are vaccinated, who have recovered from a recent Covid infection, or who have negative PCR tests will be allowed to undertake non-essential travel. However, Dr Tony Holohan, the chief medical officer and head of the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet), has previously indicated his view that travel should be linked to vaccination status.

“We’re part of a European Union, and we’ve agreed that we’re best following a European Union approach,” Mr Ryan said. While the Government will “obviously” listen to Nphet and the European Centre for Disease Control, he said “there is strength in following a common approach”.

“Travel involves another jurisdiction on every occasion when you’re leaving a country, and doing it in a uniform, common way makes real sense, it makes it predictable, it’s standardised, it makes it easier to manage rather than having different rules for different countries at different times. Much better to follow the European approach.”

Asked if he expected advice from Nphet on re-starting travel on July 19th next week, at the same time as it gives advice on reopening indoor dining and other activities on July 5th, he said he expects “their advice next week will be more likely in relation to the 5th of July”.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Embarrassing.

Windows 7 - that would be modern for them - I was in getting a diagnostic XRAY and one of the machines was running XP - That was only last year by the way.
    XP hasnt been supported since 2014 officially.

They only have themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kapu

in2dark wrote: »
    Poland now has the rule for all NON Schengen. Ireland included from tomorrow...
    There is my money lost :-(

According to Gdańsk Airport Facebook you don't have to quarantine if you are fully vaccinated ( 2 weeks after 2nd dose), had Covid in last 6 months or you can present a PCR or antigen test no older than 48 hrs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

While I agree with some of your sentiment, I don't think this "pandemic" will ever be over, there will be a spike in cases next winter and the threat of new variants will always be there, I'm done putting my life on hold indefinitely, we put off the foreign holiday last year thinking everything will be back to normal in 2021, only to be spun the same yarn as last summer ie. stay at home and don't travel,

I will be going abroad this year regardless of what NPHET or the government advise, their will always be another variant just around the corner or a dark cloud on the horizon as Holohan keeps reminding us so I think it's time to just get with life and stop letting these "experts" dictate how to live our lives, life is too short

The way I see is it that every other country will just move on as if it was over - our lot will be chasing non - existent variants and locking down on the slightest whim especially with Mr Holohan pulling the strings.

And like yourself Ive booked Spain for 3 weeks in August and Im going no matter what happens.

As for NPHET- They should not be allowed near a media outlet in any way. They are there to "advise" not post on twitter etc about "snake oil " antigen tests or people enjoying themselves out for a few pints when they have agreed to open up.

Its really time Nphet was sent back to their offices to advise and not rule which is what it sometimes feels like.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Me and the family are booked for a 5 week remote work/holiday in Spain and Italy leaving the 17th of July...

Tells you how much we're conditioned by the whole 19th of July re-opening of international travel date! :pac:

We're leaving regardless. We can pretty much justify any essential reason on the list provided

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Me and the family are booked for a 5 week remote work/holiday in Spain and Italy leaving the 17th of July...

Tells you how much we're conditioned by the whole 19th of July re-opening of international travel date! :pac:

We're leaving regardless. We can pretty much justify any essential reason on the list provided

Another one leaving regardless. I'm done with this now. Any science or sense or logic is out the window and this is clearly just about Tony trying to control people. Activities involving alcohol or travel (to places serving alcohol) clearly particularly gall him.

I can sit in a cinema for 2 hours with god knows who but I cant have a pint indoors or go to an airport where everyone is tested?

Forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

dashoonage wrote: »
    didnt pay the bitcoin

We are de facto Orange though and accepted as such in EU countries

• Registered Users Posts: 28 doyled4

Hi does anyone know if you can get yourself in any extra trouble if you make a story up about essential travel and get caught up in it? Flying out the 5th to Spain, fully vaccinated but still very nervous about the whole trip now.
    I find it absolutely crazy that we have a garda presence for outbound flights but nothing for the way in. The government here are just a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

I share much of the frustration here. I really do. I was hoping to head abroad in July.

But I really think we need a sense of perspective here in this forum. I’m delighted to be living in 2021 when we can develop and roll out vaccines against deadly disease in record time.

Has our government had a perfect response to the pandemic? Of course not. But you only have to take a look at places like Brazil to see how badly wrong things could have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

revelman wrote: »
    I share much of the frustration here. I really do. I was hoping to head abroad in July.

But I really think we need a sense of perspective here in this forum. I’m delighted to be living in 2021 when we can develop and roll out vaccines against deadly disease in record time.

Has our government had a perfect response to the pandemic? Of course not. But you only have to take a look at places like Brazil to see how badly wrong things could have gone.

Do not look at the Brazil, have a look at Europe. If you are afraid, then there are a lot of room under the bed to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Off to Spain on Monday morning for a 3 week holiday. Tony et al can take a running jump at this stage.

Essenital reason printed out but doubtful Ill need it as passing through security at 3am

Actually advice needed: Antigen test booked at Randox at the airport at 2.20am. Am I better off parking near their place, getting the test and then driving back out to my long term parking.

Or should I just park in long term first and get bus from car park in?

revelman wrote: »

That's the point. Things haven't gone wrong. Infections are down, hospitalisations are down, deaths are negligible. A lot of hospitals don't even have any covid cases. Vaccinations are on track. It's under control. There is no reason for restrictions on travel, nevermind a fine for leaving the country for non-essential purpose. If two years ago, the government had suggested a ban on travel and closing down tourism and aviation because of 40 people in hospital, there would have been laughed out of the dail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Off to Spain on Monday morning for a 3 week holiday. Tony et al can take a running jump at this stage.

Essenital reason printed out but doubtful Ill need it as passing through security at 3am

Actually advice needed: Antigen test booked at Randox at the airport at 2.20am. Am I better off parking near their place, getting the test and then driving back out to my long term parking.

Or should I just park in long term first and get bus from car park in?

What essential reason will you be giving as a matter of interest? I'm flying Monday morning also but struggling to come up with something if asked. My spoofing skills aren't as good as I'd like them to be.

Advertisement