Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Avon8

revelman wrote: »
    I share much of the frustration here. I really do. I was hoping to head abroad in July.

But I really think we need a sense of perspective here in this forum. I’m delighted to be living in 2021 when we can develop and roll out vaccines against deadly disease in record time.

Has our government had a perfect response to the pandemic? Of course not. But you only have to take a look at places like Brazil to see how badly wrong things could have gone.

Bringing this back to a high level view, as you seem to have done, would you not naturally look at Ireland and then compare to the rest of Europe?

We've always taken our lead from Europe in recent times. We generally accept there's greater expertise in bigger countries elsewhere, and while far from the worst, other countries such as Germany, France, Denmark etc generally have a better record in outcomes than us.

Knowing all this, at the start of the pandemic we all believed we'd follow our bigger compatriots lead, take account that we have slightly worse healthcare, and we'd fall broadly somewhere in the conservative middle.

Instead, we've somehow become a complete outlier, going against countless advice, practices and strategies laid out by our colleagues. How on earth have we alone, in Ireland, assumed that we know far more than the rest of Europe?

Surely that should be your baseline for comparison, rather than looking at Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭brickster69

Balearic islands, Caribbean islands, Madeira & Malta added to Northern Ireland's green list.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Kapu wrote: »
    According to Gdańsk Airport Facebook you don't have to quarantine if you are fully vaccinated ( 2 weeks after 2nd dose), had Covid in last 6 months or you can present a PCR or antigen test no older than 48 hrs

I think this may be dated info :(

Edit. I may be wrong looking at that FB page.

But I can't find an authoritative source yet.. it would really set a bad precedent if we're lumped in with the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

I share much of the frustration here. I really do. I was hoping to head abroad in July.

But I really think we need a sense of perspective here in this forum. I’m delighted to be living in 2021 when we can develop and roll out vaccines against deadly disease in record time.

Has our government had a perfect response to the pandemic? Of course not. But you only have to take a look at places like Brazil to see how badly wrong things could have gone.

With respect maybe it's you who needs a sense of perspective, are you not going on holidays in July? If not why not? Because cases have risen in the UK or because of the scary unwarranted headlines this week. Maybe you should look at the low cases across Europe, the high rates of vaccination here and in the eu, the low cases ending up in hospital, look at Israel, do you really think Brazil is going to happen here? I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

fm wrote: »
    With respect maybe it's you who needs a sense of perspective, are you not going on holidays in July? If not why not? Because cases have risen in the UK or because of the scary unwarranted headlines this week. Maybe you should look at the low cases across Europe, the high rates of vaccination here and in the eu, the low cases ending up in hospital, look at Israel, do you really think Brazil is going to happen here? I don't.

I’ve decided not to go on holidays because I was planning to go to Italy. Just last week Italy announced a 5 day quarantine for all U.K. visitors, whether vaccinated or not, because of the Delta variant. I might be wrong but I think it is only a matter of time before they do the same to us, notwithstanding that Delta will become dominant across Europe by the end of summer.

Of course, I don’t think we will turn into Brazil. I mentioned Brazil in the context of what zero governance and oversight can lead to. Posters on this forum have been making out that Tony H is on some sort of power trip because he hates people drinking alcohol and having fun - this has literally been said on a number of occasions. My own view is government is doing the best it can.

I just offered an opinion, which happens to be a minority one here. Fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    What essential reason will you be giving as a matter of interest? I'm flying Monday morning also but struggling to come up with something if asked. My spoofing skills aren't as good as I'd like them to be.

I have an essential dental appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

Kapu wrote: »
    According to Gdańsk Airport Facebook you don't have to quarantine if you are fully vaccinated ( 2 weeks after 2nd dose), had Covid in last 6 months or you can present a PCR or antigen test no older than 48 hrs

I called Modlin airport today and they confirmed that non-Schengen EU countries are also exempt from the quarantine with any of the above. It was poorly communicated yesterday, mentioning Schengen countries only, causing a lot of confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

I’ve decided not to go on holidays because I was planning to go to Italy. Just last week Italy announced a 5 day quarantine for all U.K. visitors, whether vaccinated or not, because of the Delta variant. I might be wrong but I think it is only a matter of time before they do the same to us, notwithstanding that Delta will become dominant across Europe by the end of summer.

Of course, I don’t think we will turn into Brazil. I mentioned Brazil in the context of what zero governance and oversight can lead to. Posters on this forum have been making out that Tony H is on some sort of power trip because he hates people drinking alcohol and having fun - this has literally been said on a number of occasions. My own view is government is doing the best it can.

I just offered an opinion, which happens to be a minority one here. Fair enough.

It's your loss i think.

We aren't like the UK at all and as part of the EU block we are pushing ahead with the reopening if the delta variant becomes dominant or not. Life goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

TefalBrain wrote: »
    It's your loss i think.

We aren't like the UK at all and as part of the EU block we are pushing ahead with the reopening if the delta variant becomes dominant or not. Life goes on.

I’d feel differently if we were in Schengen. We agonised about it. It is a bit of a gamble. Life definitely goes on but I don’t want to spend 5 days in quarantine in July when I only have a week off. So that swung it. Looking to rebook now for end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Seems sensible revelman, especially when you have so little time to play with.

TBH I'm tuning it all out until closer to date of travel (end July), the constant hysteria just makes me needlessly anxious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭brickster69

Hmmm, maybe the Caribbean is the best bet

https://twitter.com/ProfCaryCooper/status/1408126665587412994

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

I think its highly doubtful that another EU country will make us quarantine after July 1st, we were able to travel to other European countries back when we had over a thousand cases per day, why do you think they will restrict us now with just over 300, its not going to happen, not for the next couple of months anyway,

It seems to be a political agenda at play more so than a safety one with the UK situation and other EU countries can put in whatever restrictions they want outside of EU but the digital green cert gives Irish citizens a bit more certainty now when planning a trip abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Ireland green list. Does anyone have a link to what country's are on Ireland's greenlist. Iv search for dats cant find anything that actually shows which country's are on Ireland green list. Frustrated now
    Greenlist is so 2020, doesn't exist anymore. Look up each individual country's own requirements.

---

Meanwhile, I flew back to Ireland from The Netherlands yesterday. Quite an eventful flight, two lads who clearly went for a boozer to Amsterdam (and drunkenly entered the plane) were claiming they also had asthma and couldn't wear any masks. This created some consternation in the plane among other (masked) passengers. As there were only about 75 passengers in the plane the Ryanair crew eventually put the two guys close to each other in the middle of the plane, away from others - but gave them space to not wear any masks, and order more beers after departure.

Probably they had some recent PCR tests done with negative results, in order to board the plane to Dublin, but their behaviour was a bit appalling. I don't believe if you really have a serious underlying health condition it's a smart idea to go on some lads tour to Amsterdam. It's likely the Ryanair crew was afraid of causing any serious delays/escalations so they just took off with them to Dublin.

I'm all for reopening travel as quickly as possible, and had some flights myself this year already, but this non-complying with certain rules (or creating rules /exceptions for yourself) is contributing to the place we got ourselves in.. just be happy that you're able to fly again and wear that mask over your nose for 1 hour..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

IQO wrote: »
    Greenlist is so 2020, doesn't exist anymore. Look up each individual country's own requirements.

---

Meanwhile, I flew back to Ireland from The Netherlands yesterday. Quite an eventful flight, two lads who clearly went for a boozer to Amsterdam (and drunkenly entered the plane) were claiming they also had asthma and couldn't wear any masks. This created some consternation in the plane among other (masked) passengers. As there were only about 75 passengers in the plane the Ryanair crew eventually put the two guys close to each other in the middle of the plane, away from others - but gave them space to not wear any masks, and order more beers after departure.

Probably they had some recent PCR tests done with negative results, in order to board the plane to Dublin, but their behaviour was a bit appalling. I don't believe if you really have a serious underlying health condition it's a smart idea to go on some lads tour to Amsterdam. It's likely the Ryanair crew was afraid of causing any serious delays/escalations so they just took off with them to Dublin.

I'm all for reopening travel as quickly as possible, and had some flights myself this year already, but this non-complying with certain rules (or creating rules /exceptions for yourself) is contributing to the place we got ourselves in.. just be happy that you're able to fly again and wear that mask over your nose for 1 hour..

I don't know what your point is. That is bad behaviour from those individuals, who would exhibit same behaviour Covid or not. As for 'just be happy that you're able to fly again' we can't. The fine remains in place and there is still no date for its removal.

Tazz T wrote: »
    I don't know what your point is. That is bad behaviour from those individuals, who would exhibit same behaviour Covid or not. As for 'just be happy that you're able to fly again' we can't. The fine remains in place and there is still no date for its removal.

Oh and the greenlist is still the greenlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

If you were to test positive abroad, how long do you need to wait before another test does anyone know? You could be asymptomatic and test positive, in which case it would be impossible to guess how long you had it. Of course there is the cost to consider, but could you keep testing every day until you get a negative or is there a mandatory isolation period after a positive result?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

If you are travelling to a country in Europe that currently advises that you need a PCR test or a document confirming your full vaccination status, will the little stamped card that the HSE provided be sufficient. I am fully vaccinated and am travelling for essential medical reasons.

Apologies if this has already been dealt with, I'm just not sure is it at the point of entry I will be asked for confirmation or at Dublin Airport. Do the airlines play a role. I'm flying with Ryanair. Will get PCR if necessary but seems to be conflicting advice available.

If you are travelling to a country in Europe that currently advises that you need a PCR test or a document confirming your full vaccination status, will the little stamped card that the HSE provided be sufficient. I am fully vaccinated and am travelling for essential medical reasons.

Apologies if this has already been dealt with, I'm just not sure is it at the point of entry I will be asked for confirmation or at Dublin Airport. Do the airlines play a role. I'm flying with Ryanair. Will get PCR if necessary but seems to be conflicting advice available.

Dozens of posts on this subject but it's a minefield in fairness.

Here's my take;

Yes, the evidence so far is that our vaccination cards are being accepted.

Airlines seem to vary on how proactive they are. I'm dubious as a result of a recent interaction with Ryanair concerning this very issue and caution safety ie get a pcr test.

Dublin airport play no role in checking you on leaving, only return. My understanding is that until the 19th July, you still need a pcr test.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

SJFly wrote: »
    If you were to test positive abroad, how long do you need to wait before another test does anyone know? You could be asymptomatic and test positive, in which case it would be impossible to guess how long you had it. Of course there is the cost to consider, but could you keep testing every day until you get a negative or is there a mandatory isolation period after a positive result?

I assume 2 weeks same as here.

That's a risk when travelling unvaccinated. I'm taking my laptop and will work abroad if it happens to one of us. Then just get a "recovered from covid" cert after the 14 days to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I believe a <72 hrs old PCR test is still compulsory for my mother, who was fully vaccinated + 4 weeks before departing Dublin to look after our kids here in Germany for a few weeks of the summer hols. She will be returning to Dublin on the 12th of July. Can someone please confirm that a PCR test before departure will indeed be required even though she has her HSE Vaccination Record card with her.

I'd like to be well prepared and get the test a day or two before departure and not be paying huge money for an express test at the airport!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

murphaph wrote: »
    I believe a <72 hrs old PCR test is still compulsory for my mother, who was fully vaccinated + 4 weeks before departing Dublin to look after our kids here in Germany for a few weeks of the summer hols. She will be returning to Dublin on the 12th of July. Can someone please confirm that a PCR test before departure will indeed be required even though she has her HSE Vaccination Record card with her.

I'd like to be well prepared and get the test a day or two before departure and not be paying huge money for an express test at the airport!

At the moment she will need a test. The following gives the current rules for testing. There are some exceptions but being vaccinated is not one of those.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/?referrer=http://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-from-a-country-that-is-not-on-the-covid-19-travel-advice-list/#requirement-for-a-pre-departure-covid-19-rt-pcr-test

Looks like the Indo is really going to go for it for the next couple of weeks. Leading with 'Delta risk concern as 250,000 to fly weekly' this morning. What trash...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MIDLANDSMAN

Hi. Quick question to anyone who has flown with Ryanair from Dublin recently. I have some family flying from Dublin to Spain next week.they are not used to the internet and smart phones so I was going to print boarding cards, they have been fully vaccinated but will get a RAT test just in case. They can get a printed cert for this test and they will have a printed form with a QR code for entry to Spain.

I've tried to contact Ryanair with my query but no reply yet.
    My question is, does anyone know if they will be ok to use paper documents at check in and boarding in Dublin.

On the Spanish side, I think they are ok with paper.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

random_guy wrote: »
    Thanks for the confirmation 😊 I'll keep an eye on that page now but I don't expect it to be eased before she travels to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

edit: misread the question!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

murphaph wrote: »

No test if she can wait a week until the 19th, based on current plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    No test if she can wait a week until the 19th, based on current plans.

While hopeful that will indeed be the case I am reminded of Robert Burns words "The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men....."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Tazz T wrote: »
    Looks like the Indo is really going to go for it for the next couple of weeks. Leading with 'Delta risk concern as 250,000 to fly weekly' this morning. What trash...

I’m refusing to click on their complete and utter garbage this week. Worst paper by a long shot. Irish times not far behind it. What used to be broadsheets are now tabloid fodder full of misleading headlines, spurious quotes & interpretations, and again no accountability or standards being maintained at a time of upmost importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Hi. Quick question to anyone who has flown with Ryanair from Dublin recently. I have some family flying from Dublin to Spain next week.they are not used to the internet and smart phones so I was going to print boarding cards, they have been fully vaccinated but will get a RAT test just in case. They can get a printed cert for this test and they will have a printed form with a QR code for entry to Spain.

I've tried to contact Ryanair with my query but no reply yet.
    My question is, does anyone know if they will be ok to use paper documents at check in and boarding in Dublin.

On the Spanish side, I think they are ok with paper.

Thanks

Either was fine on my last one with them, if anything hard copy is making a comeback, for some airlines and airports old style check is required again and they verify docs there. Ryanair often do it in the queue and then give you a little bit of paper to say all the docs have been checked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Hemi

Hello folks

I am leaving Ireland next week so I need a PCR test done. The handiest place for me to go is Boots in my own town, but can anyone tell me what there service is like. They are promising results back in 24 hours so I am just looking for reassurances from others that have used Boots.

Advertisement