Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Hemi wrote: »
    Hello folks

I am leaving Ireland next week so I need a PCR test done. The handiest place for me to go is Boots in my own town, but can anyone tell me what there service is like. They are promising results back in 24 hours so I am just looking for reassurances from others that have used Boots.

Does you destination require a PCR on arrival ?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hemi

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Does you destination require a PCR on arrival ?

Im travelling to NZ on Saturday morning so I need to have it done 72 hours before departing. With Boots, the best time I could get is the Thursday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 chebas

guys whats the story for gards at the airport? I'll be at the airport parking at around 7:45, have fasttrack . Funnily enough I am going to the dentist, have the letter and everything but my dentist is in a small town between Alicante and Valencia. I'm going with my wife as I need someone after the procedure.

Will I get any hassle given its a holiday destination, in on wednesday, proc on thursday, checkup sat back on monday?

seb

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MIDLANDSMAN

mmclo wrote: »
    Either was fine on my last one with them, if anything hard copy is making a comeback, for some airlines and airports old style check is required again and they verify docs there. Ryanair often do it in the queue and then give you a little bit of paper to say all the docs have been checked

Hi. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

chebas wrote: »
    guys whats the story for gards at the airport? I'll be at the airport parking at around 7:45, have fasttrack . Funnily enough I am going to the dentist, have the letter and everything but my dentist is in a small town between Alicante and Valencia. I'm going with my wife as I need someone after the procedure.

Will I get any hassle given its a holiday destination, in on wednesday, proc on thursday, checkup sat back on monday?

seb
    You are very unlikely to see any guards when using fast-track - there is only a checkpoint just before the regular security area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 sheepish97

guys whats the story for gards at the airport?

seb

I flew out of Dublin Tuesday. Through security at around 4pm. Didn’t see a guard except for one stopping cars on the way in (we went in by bus). Very relaxing experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Hemi wrote: »
    Im travelling to NZ on Saturday morning so I need to have it done 72 hours before departing. With Boots, the best time I could get is the Thursday morning.

72 hours before arrival I think so be careful

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

seb

Your trip is considered essential travel as you have a dental appointment

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    72 hours before arrival I think so be careful

Its based on your scheduled departure time not arrival time as planes could be delayed etc and youve been tested based on your scheduled departure time.

If it was arrival time your covid test could expire in the air.

https://www.miq.govt.nz/travel-to-new-zealand/plan-your-travel-to-nz/pre-departure-testing/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Anybody know whats open airside for food in Dublin airport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

I'm going to be honest. I support a lot of these measures. I'll be home for the first time since 2019 in August, three weeks after I get my second jab. Both myself and my partner decided it was worth the wait, as we had several friends who went home over Christmas and they did bring COVID with them.

However, this 14 day quarantine from EU countries even with a negative PCR is absurd, and based on what I heard today is completely impartial to very real reasons people do need to travel, expecially after so long. My partners mother had a very serious, and very out of the blue, medical emergency. She has had her first vaccine, has a negative PCR, and has been negatively PCR tested four times a week for the past year in her workplace. A workplace that runs the sequencing and testing for COVID and has the most sensitive and accurate tests available in most of Europe. This is a very real, very necessary trip as it's now down to hours left. I had to stay home. She showed them the tests at Dublin airport, and the tracking form, just about holding everything together as she got an unfortunate update straight off the plane, and yer man was "Strict home quarantine for 14 days", she said yes, and he then insisted on double checking and emphasising "strict home quarantine".

I'm sorry, but while I think Irelands restrictions have been a bit over zealous, I have been broadly supportive of them. But f**k that.

So you supported them until they impacted you personally?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Valhallapt wrote: »
    None of the food outlets in T2 are open. You have the Chocolate lounge and WH Smiths for pre-packed stuff.
    In T1 you have Boots for pre-packed stuff and the food court area (Marquee?) just past Boots. Im not sure if anything is open at the 1xx or 3xx gates.

......... and yer man was "Strict home quarantine for 14 days", she said yes, and he then insisted on double checking and emphasising "strict home quarantine"........

"strict home quarantine" is a bit difficult with a not fir for purpose system of checking up on the arrivals.

Home quarantine can be negated with a PCR test (provided by the HSE )on day 5

.........She has had her first vaccine, has a negative PCR, and has been negatively PCR tested four times a week for the past year in her workplace. A workplace that runs the sequencing and testing for COVID and has the most sensitive and accurate tests available in most of Europe. ...........
    This seems a bit excessive in my opinion. Is this 4 times Mon-Fri?

seb

I'm going to go postal if people don't stop using this Irish / English mutant word online!

The Gardai or Guards to use the English version, will be at the entrance road and immigration officers will be at departures. Neither however, are 24 / 7. Once you have a letter from the dentist, your travel is covered.
    Valhallapt wrote: »

Marquette in terminal 1 main area and further down pier 1, there's O'Hara's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    So you supported them until they impacted you personally?

Exactly what I was thinking. Everyone is onboard until it impacts them personally. If you support this nonsense then you can’t go whining when it doesn’t suit you. Utter hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

beaz2018 wrote: »
    Exactly what I was thinking. Everyone is onboard until it impacts them personally. If you support this nonsense then you can’t go whining when it doesn’t suit you. Utter hypocrisy.

There were a lot of people cheerleading for these travel restrictions and mandatory quarantine back in January and February, I dont think most of these realised the long term ramifications of what they were crying out for, as said its all good and well stopping travel and quarantining people coming in to the country but what if these same people needed to leave or had family that needed to come home? Its only then that it hits home how vulnerable we are as an island nation that depends heavily on our airports and ferry ports and the damage we are doing here with these restrictions will be felt long in to the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

We shouldn't be arguing lads. We should be celebrating we've a new recruit for our team :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,416 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

So exactly what measures did you support?
    Okay, I'm going to defend myself a small bit here because I think some posters are misreading what I wrote. I said I support a lot of these measures, and I have. I said I've found them over zealous, which I have, and I said I've broadly supported them. None of these statements suggest I support or supported all of them. But in the main I considered them necessary. I never supported mandatory hotel quarantine, I never supported the 2/5/20 km nonsense, but broadly speaking a lot of the other measures were required. You do not have to support everything in place to say that broadly speaking some of the rules were and are required. And I have questioned many of these on this forum.

At a time when the DCC has been launched across Europe, and when many European countries, including the one I live in, have far lower case rates than Ireland, the continued maintennance of the 14 day quarantine is questionable, especially when displaying clear PCR tests. And, while I have an issue with the 14 day quarantine, and have had an issue with the slow roll out of the DCC in Ireland, I wasn't actually complaining about either of those things. What I was actually giving out about was the over zealous and frankly uncalled for manner in which my partner was treated by the individual she was dealing with while she was obviously in distress.

I'm sorry if that is hypocrisy to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Okay, I'm going to defend myself a small bit here because I think some posters are misreading what I wrote. I said I support a lot of these measures, and I have. I said I've found them over zealous, which I have, and I said I've broadly supported them. None of these statements suggest I support or supported all of them. But in the main I considered them necessary. I never supported mandatory hotel quarantine, I never supported the 2/5/20 km nonsense, but broadly speaking a lot of the other measures were required. You do not have to support everything in place to say that broadly speaking some of the rules were and are required. And I have questioned many of these on this forum.

At a time when the DCC has been launched across Europe, and when many European countries, including the one I live in, have far lower case rates than Ireland, the continued maintennance of the 14 day quarantine is questionable, especially when displaying clear PCR tests. And, while I have an issue with the 14 day quarantine, and have had an issue with the slow roll out of the DCC in Ireland, I wasn't actually complaining about either of those things. What I was actually giving out about was the over zealous and frankly uncalled for manner in which my partner was treated by the individual she was dealing with while she was obviously in distress.

I'm sorry if that is hypocrisy to you.

I'm sorry for your troubles but what you say absolutely is hypocrisy. You state you live in a different country yet support measures that affect others and not you. Then you state you didn't know about the quarantine - one of the measures you profess to support. Then you have some misfortune and post here looking for sympathy because an official at the airport was a bit cross.

There are plenty of posters here with whom I will never agree, and vice versa, but I respect their opinions nonetheless as those people have been absolutely consistent from the start concerning their current opposition to foreign travel.

As I say, I'm sorry for your loss, but you can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭josip

For those who thought that there won't be any intra-EU banning of citizens, from Tuesday Germany will ban anyone arriving from Portugal, except German citizens.
    And German citizens will have to quarantine for 2 weeks irrespective of whether they test negative.

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-germany-restricts-travel-to-russia-portugal/a-58053098

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

josip wrote: »
    For those who thought that there won't be any intra-EU banning of citizens, from Tuesday Germany will ban anyone arriving from Portugal, except German citizens.
    And German citizens will have to quarantine for 2 weeks irrespective of whether they test negative.

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-germany-restricts-travel-to-russia-portugal/a-58053098

As ever, you have to look for the politics. Germany's banning of UK arrivals a month or so ago completely failed to prevent the spread of Delta in Germany. Merkel is now scapegoating Southern Europe tourist markets that let UK tourists in to deflect blame. These kind of restrictions when Delta is already widespread in Germany (similar level to Ireland I think) will achieve nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

josip wrote: »

So much for a common EU approach to travel, makes you wonder whether the DCC may become irrelevant before we ever get to July 19th.

While I appreciate that just because you are fully vacinated it doesn't mean it's impossible for you to carry and transmit Covid, I thought all available data suggested that the risk was greatly reduced.

At a minimum, would it not make sense to at least allow fully vacinated people to travel? (My own 2 cents is that a negative test should still be sufficient to reduce risk)

It must be of at least some concern that those at least risk of a poor outcome from Covid yet most likely to spread Covid due to being unvaccinated i.e. younger people, will actually begin to see little upside in being vacinated when their time eventually comes..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Wallander wrote: »
    As ever, you have to look for the politics. Germany's banning of UK arrivals a month or so ago completely failed to prevent the spread of Delta in Germany. Merkel is now scapegoating Southern Europe tourist markets that let UK tourists in to deflect blame. These kind of restrictions when Delta is already widespread in Germany (similar level to Ireland I think) will achieve nothing.

While I don’t agree with intra EU travel bans, to be fair to Merkel Portugal has introduced new restrictions in Lisbon and hospitalisations are increasing. That being said a travel ban on the whole country is political

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭brickster69

Wallander wrote: »

What about the German fans and players that will be at Wembley. The law states that 14 days quarantine applies to professional sportsmen also ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

faceman wrote: »
    While I don’t agree with intra EU travel bans, to be fair to Merkel Portugal has introduced new restrictions in Lisbon and hospitalisations are increasing. That being said a travel ban on the whole country is political

Indeed it looks like its more politics at play here with Merkel and is likely to be an outlier, however I wouldn't rule out the possibility of something similar happening here, while I can't see other EU countries imposing restrictions on us, I think it is very likely that Tony and his NPHET cronies will get their way and we will end up imposing restrictions on our own citizens coming back from abroad whether vaccinated or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Indeed it looks like its more politics at play here with Merkel and is likely to be an outlier, however I wouldn't rule out the possibility of something similar happening here, while I can't see other EU countries imposing restrictions on us, I think it is very likely that Tony and his NPHET cronies will get their way and we will end up imposing restrictions on our own citizens coming back from abroad whether vaccinated or not

That can’t possibly happen. There’s no scenario nphet can dream up that would allow inward foreign tourism to Ireland restrictions free while simultaneously impose restrictions on returning Irish citizens.

Additionally 20-35 year old cohort wont see benefits from getting the vaccine which will scupper any of the government’s herd immunity plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

dalyboy wrote: »
    That can’t possibly happen.

I’ve read these words more than any others on this forum. I always get the impression that they are based more on hope than anything else. Anything can happen.

A few days ago when I was discussing intra-EU travel bans because of the Delta variant, posters here were telling me that it can’t possibly happen. As Josip has pointed out above, Germany is now banning travel from Portugal.

I fear that we will be on some countries’ lists sooner rather than later. The ridiculous thing is that the Delta variant will be dominant everywhere in the EU by the end of summer but it may be dominant here a few weeks earlier. That’s why I cancelled my trip to Italy in July.

Anything can happen because EU states have derogations from the new travel arrangements. I’ve rebooked my trip to late August. July looks too risky to me.

dalyboy wrote: »
    That can’t possibly happen. There’s no scenario nphet can dream up that would allow inward foreign tourism to Ireland restrictions free while simultaneously impose restrictions on returning Irish citizens.

Additionally 20-35 year old cohort wont see benefits from getting the vaccine which will scupper any of the government’s herd immunity plans.

They will try force the governments hand and put restrictions on all incoming travel from abroad, even those who are vaccinated, they can just say that because of new emerging variants we cant be sure that vaccination will prevent it spreading here in Ireland, dont say you weren't warned, I called out this whole sorry saga months ago in a previous post back in January, they are so predictable NPHET just seem hellbent on destroying our hospitality, tourism and aviation sectors

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pouladuff_goal

I believe the government will have to capitulate and allow EU citizens travel freely here with the green cert.

The constant flow of misinformation is just to discourage travel.

Even if the 2K fine is enforcable at the moment it is difficult to see how it will be after Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 chebas

I'm going to go postal if people don't stop using this Irish / English mutant word online!

The Gardai or Guards to use the English version, will be at the entrance road and immigration officers will be at departures. Neither however, are 24 / 7. Once you have a letter from the dentist, your travel is covered.

Marquette in terminal 1 main area and further down pier 1, there's O'Hara's.
    I apologise (notice the s not the z), I speak 5 languages but not all perfectly. I'm not originally Irish.

Sorry I hurt your feelings. Hope you don't go postal (which is really an american idiom)

Thanks all for the help.

Advertisement