Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Klonker wrote: »
    We shouldn't be arguing lads. We should be celebrating we've a new recruit for our team :D

Yeah where's donald trump and his associates gone. Have they come over to the dark side as well?

I pity the fools who have been getting excited about the green cert or whatever it's called now, it will go the same way as the traffic lights system last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Many posters were giving out that Ireland put a Few EU countries on the MHQ list and now that Germany will be banning citizens from Portugal, where does this putting EU countries on any list argument would be illegal.
    The Certificate is dead in the water if Germany is allowed to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

votecounts wrote: »
    Many posters were giving out that Ireland put a Few EU countries on the MHQ list and now that Germany will be banning citizens from Portugal, where does this putting EU countries on any list argument would be illegal.
    The Certificate is dead in the water if Germany is allowed to do this.

It was never “illegal” to put another EU country on a quarantine list. The common travel rules allow for derogations, which means that individual States can introduce bans for public health reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

revelman wrote: »
    It was never “illegal” to put another EU country on a quarantine list. The common travel rules allow for derogations, which means that individual States can introduce bans for public health reasons.

It was said many times on here that it was. Agree that countries should have the right to protect their citizens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

After watching George Lees jubilant delivery of manipulated and just plain wrong stats on RTE last night. It's either incompetence , negligent journalism or the tin hatters were right and there is a programme of disinformation and fear being actively pursued. Had traveled booked for the 8th to Spain with the likelihood of the Govt rolling back on opening up I'm definitely going now. Couldn't care less .....If anything even more of a reason to leave and see how the rest of Europe are living without "The Fear"

I read somewhere that the 2K fine is only enforce to the 6th July can anybody provide a source?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Very unsure how things play out from 1 July.

Pretty sure those abroad can just rock up to Dublin and get in.

Was sobering to still see Gardai checkpoint on entry to airport yesterday

What a sorry state of affairs

Literally Irish citizens prohibited from leaving the state while every other EUUKnationality can do what they want.

A Spanish living in Ireland can return home for a holiday as there right should be and then can come for work in a few weeks

An Irish citizen would be subject to a 2000 fine.

How people and our politicians have allowed this happen is mind boggling and scary

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Mr.S wrote: »
    No one is prohibited to leave, stop exaggerating.

So what about the 2000€ fine the ? And questioning of Irish citizens ?
    Meanwhile a Pole or French citizen etc can just say they are going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

A Spanish living in Ireland can return home for a holiday as there right should be and then can come for work in a few weeks

An Irish citizen would be subject to a 2000 fine.

How people and our politicians have allowed this happen is mind boggling and scary
    The logic of it, I expect, is that we're protecting our EU friends from Irish people spreading the virus abroad (whilst respecting the rights of other EU citizens to travel in Ireland) for which we will get a pat on the head at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

A €2000 is pretty prohibited I’d say for most people who’d like to travel at the moment. I’m fully vaccinated and would like to travel to a country with a lower incidence rate than Ireland and enjoy the warm weather that Europe offers at this time of the year. But 2k and then the quarantine nonsense when I come back… not worth it.

• Advertisement

I had to correct someone on this recently. There is a 2000 euro fine for arrival at the airport without sufficient reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

A €2000 is pretty prohibited I’d say for most people who’d like to travel at the moment. I’m fully vaccinated and would like to travel to a country with a lower incidence rate than Ireland and enjoy the warm weather that Europe offers at this time of the year. But 2k and then the quarantine nonsense when I come back… not worth it.

Would they want you there if you are coming from a country with a higher incidence rate :)

markest wrote: »
    Would they want you there if you are coming from a country with a higher incidence rate :)
    Indeed but would it not be for those other countries to implement that in their entry requirements? We must be pretty unique in doing the work of countries in limiting our own citizens ability to travel while allowing others to holiday freely in ours.

Look at the amount of 2k fines issued and volume of departures from DAA airports.

Even if fined, you can still fly out and the contest it at a later point. No one stops you regardless if you are trip is deemed essential or not.

My point was, no one is prohibited to leave if they really want to leave. On fines - sure all you have to say is 'I'm moving to X' if questioned. The list of essential reasons is long and very hard to provide proof for. Guards themselves have said it's impossible to verify most reasons.

Anyway, in just over 2 weeks that should all be gone.
    Perhaps

There's no one prohibiting you from jumping into a tank full of sharks, but there is a risk you'll get eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Indeed it looks like its more politics at play here with Merkel and is likely to be an outlier, however I wouldn't rule out the possibility of something similar happening here, while I can't see other EU countries imposing restrictions on us, I think it is very likely that Tony and his NPHET cronies will get their way and we will end up imposing restrictions on our own citizens coming back from abroad whether vaccinated or not

This is what I think is going on at the moment. We know Tony is very against international travel. We'll keep indoor dining closed and the fear high to limit the Delta variant spread, other EU countries won't. Then in a few weeks he can advise the government to use the 'handbrake' they keep referencing in terms of the the DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Klonker wrote: »
    This is what I think is going on at the moment. We know Tony is very against international travel. We'll keep indoor dining closed and the fear high to limit the Delta variant spread, other EU countries won't. Then in a few weeks he can advise the government to use the 'handbrake' they keep referencing in terms of the the DCC.

At the moment it's all about spreading confusion and fear and TBH that's probably enough to stop 80% of people from booking a holiday abroad this summer. It's amazing to me how easily most people have just caved into forgoing another summer holiday abroad.

You only have one life to lead and my kids won't be small enough to come on holidays with us forever so I'm heading off this summer same as I did last summer. I'll have a bullsh't reason made up for the guards or I'll challenge the fine when I get back but I'll be going regardless.

Strange analogy but ok.
    Principle is the same though which I think is the point. Just because you may be able to get away with something doesn't mean it is allowed. Technically, at present, you are not allowed to go on holidays out of Ireland subject to a 2000 euros penalty. Citizens of other countries are freely able to holiday here without threats of fines or other punitive measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

At the moment it's all about spreading confusion and fear and TBH that's probably enough to stop 80% of people from booking a holiday abroad this summer. It's amazing to me how easily most people have just caved into forgoing another summer holiday abroad.

You only have one life to lead and my kids won't be small enough to come on holidays with us forever so I'm heading off this summer same as I did last summer. I'll have a bullsh't reason made up for the guards or I'll challenge the fine when I get back but I'll be going regardless.

Exactly.
    I’m making plans for the end of July myself. The kids are staying with the other half while I head away for 2 weeks with a couple of mates to Spain. I’ll then reciprocate this by letting herself go with her friends on a foreign trip for the 2nd half of august while I look after the lil ones.

It’s not the ideal situation however our daughter will not play ball with the pcr test as she’s too scared of the testing process (I wouldn’t blame her as I’d be freaked out too at 7 yrs of age)

In my case the kids are losing out on a foreign holiday this year however we have promised them a great summer with tayto park/zoo/cinema/ etc on a daily basis while we are both abroad holidaying.

Both myself and herself NEED to escape this new weird hamster wheel existence before we explode. Our excuses are ready , bags packed and nobody will stop us this summer travelling . Let them bleat away about variants etc …. We are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

dalyboy wrote: »
    Exactly.
    I’m making plans for the end of July myself. The kids are staying with the other half while I head away for 2 weeks with a couple of mates to Spain. I’ll then reciprocate this by letting herself go with her friends on a foreign trip for the 2nd half of august while I look after the lil ones.

It’s not the ideal situation however our daughter will not play ball with the pcr test as she’s too scared of the testing process (I wouldn’t blame her as I’d be freaked out too at 7 yrs of age)

In my case the kids are losing out on a foreign holiday this year however we have promised them a great summer with tayto park/zoo/cinema/ etc on a daily basis while we are both abroad holidaying.

Both myself and herself NEED to escape this new weird hamster wheel existence before we explode. Our excuses are ready , bags packed and nobody will stop us this summer travelling . Let them bleat away about variants etc …. We are going.

Good luck to you. Where are you planning to go? I’d worry about some countries more than others in Europe in imposing unilateral quarantine requirements. I’d say Spain is pretty safe, not least because their incidence of Delta is likely to be similar to ours in late July. I postponed a trip to Italy from July to late August because I don’t trust them on the quarantine front. They imposed restrictions on the U.K. last week.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

There were a lot of people cheerleading for these travel restrictions and mandatory quarantine back in January and February, I dont think most of these realised the long term ramifications of what they were crying out for, as said its all good and well stopping travel and quarantining people coming in to the country but what if these same people needed to leave or had family that needed to come home? Its only then that it hits home how vulnerable we are as an island nation that depends heavily on our airports and ferry ports and the damage we are doing here with these restrictions will be felt long in to the future...

I work in an aviation related sector. MHQ affects my industry. My partner works for an airline.
    But I was vocally in favour of some form of MHQ since last Summer. I still am.

However the Irish Govt cocked up our MHQ by imposing restrictions on nations who had less cases than us while implementing it without ANY procedure to deal with vaccinated arrivals. Utterly inept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Look at the amount of 2k fines issued and volume of departures from DAA airports.

It doesn't matter how many fines have been issued.
    The fact that the €2000 fine is there to be used as a de facto punishment beating available to agents of the state is a disgrace.
    No person going to the airport can say, with certainty, that they will not receive such a fine.

Is there any other EU country applying such incredible fines to their own citizens for the "crime" of getting on a plane and going on a holiday?

Principle is the same though which I think is the point. Just because you may be able to get away with something doesn't mean it is allowed. Technically, at present, you are not allowed to go on holidays out of Ireland subject to a 2000 euros penalty. Citizens of other countries are freely able to holiday here without threats of fines or other punitive measures.

This is it and it's a lot harder to get away with when they see you have a couple of excited kids along with you looking forward to their first holiday in two years. You're not going to jump in that shark tank with the kids in tow.

No person going to the airport can say, with certainty, that they will not receive such a fine.

Of course they can, there are any amount of essential reasons for travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

revelman wrote: »
    Good luck to you. Where are you planning to go? I’d worry about some countries more than others in Europe in imposing unilateral quarantine requirements. I’d say Spain is pretty safe, not least because their incidence of Delta is likely to be similar to ours in late July. I postponed a trip to Italy from July to late August because I don’t trust them on the quarantine front. They imposed restrictions on the U.K. last week.

One of the lads has an apartment in Porto benalmadena so we will base ourselves there for the 2 weeks. Great golf courses down the Cadiz motorway in Marbella and Puerto Banus for the day routine.

I’m thinking the same about Spain. They will have zero issues for us entering as they really need the tourism. Expect no restrictions entering.

The issue obviously will be our new commander in chief (mien Führer huluhoops) back in backward Ireland. Will I be expected (FULLY vaccinated at that point) to quarantine upon my return or not.

I’ve still planned for an additional 7 days to facilitate my wife’s latter trip upon my return date just in case I’ve to legally abide to ridiculously isolate post holiday…… (5 day pcr release)

OK New question, that I've not seen asked

If a covid 19 test is valid for 72hrs,is that from the time you took the test or the time you get the result ?
    If its the latter it's really only useful for 48hrs ,so please tell me its the former

Anyone present a hse vaccination card to a hotel ?
    Tenerife for example requires a clear test not more than 72hrs old or a fully vaccinated certificate before you are allowed stay at any hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

If a covid 19 test is valid for 72hrs,is that from the time you took the test or the time you get the result ?
    If its the latter it's really only useful for 48hrs ,so please tell me its the former

Tenerife for example requires a clear test not more than 72hrs old or a fully vaccinated certificate before you are allowed stay at any hotel

It’s from the time of the test. Did you mix up your former and latter, because it’s the former which gives you less time to play with than the latter...

Multipass wrote: »
    It’s from the time of the test. Did you mix up your former and latter, because it’s the former which gives you less time to play with than the latter...

Yes I did ha
    So if you take a test Friday, it will be valud on the Monday correct? But not Tuesday

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Keep in mind that some nations have your travel time included in that 72 hours (Ireland)
    Thus the time limit is test taken within 72 hours of your arrival in country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Can't wait for my holidays in August to get out of here... Republic of Absurdistan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Trip report for those anxious.

Travelled DUB to Faro yesterday evening. Booked randox RAT for wife at 2 kids. 4pm was the last slot I could get so had a good bit of a wait until 19.35 flight.

Randox was simple in and out in 5 mins. Very friendly and well run.

Ryanair bag drop is now in the old aerlingus area 14. Had to wait for bag drop to open.

Security was busy and the gardai didn’t stop us, they were stopping some people but I didn’t see anyone get a hard time.

5.95 for a pint of Guinness!

Ryanair checked the randox emails for just the adults. Same when we arrived in Portugal, kids tests weren’t checked, passport control checked them for the adults, just read the name and dob from the emailed pdf.

All good hear in the Algarve, it’s quieter than usual more like how busy it is in April, it’s usually mental this time of year.

Very relieved not to be arrested in Dublin airport, (half joking)

Advertisement