Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Trip report for those anxious.

Travelled DUB to Faro yesterday evening. Booked randox RAT for wife at 2 kids. 4pm was the last slot I could get so had a good bit of a wait until 19.35 flight.

Randox was simple in and out in 5 mins. Very friendly and well run.

Ryanair bag drop is now in the old aerlingus area 14. Had to wait for bag drop to open.

Security was busy and the gardai didn’t stop us, they were stopping some people but I didn’t see anyone get a hard time.

5.95 for a pint of Guinness!

Ryanair checked the randox emails for just the adults. Same when we arrived in Portugal, kids tests weren’t checked, passport control checked them for the adults, just read the name and dob from the emailed pdf.

All good hear in the Algarve, it’s quieter than usual more like how busy it is in April, it’s usually mental this time of year.

Very relieved not to be arrested in Dublin airport, (half joking)

I'd pay 15.95 for a pint in Dublin Airport if it meant I was airside at Dublin Airport!

Thanks for the report, have a great trip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Very relieved not to be arrested in Dublin airport, (half joking)

shocking to see what's happening in the Irish "Free" state. Unbelievable.

I usually go abroad in the August for my main holidays. If there was chance I would go earlier in June maybe just for a week elsewhere, somewhere south. But If I would decide to go this year I would definitely not pay any fine for leaving the country. Absolutely scandalous behaviour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Oh my, Aer Lingus is a very very bad way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

faceman wrote: »

Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Éamonn Ryan doesn't think its bad. We could all paddle to Europe on cow fart steamed boats.

• Advertisement

That video..is littered with bias
    IAG is aer lingus's owner not their 'partner' too
    People aren't hiding under their beds and will want to fly again

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Tenger wrote: »
    I work in an aviation related sector. MHQ affects my industry. My partner works for an airline.
    But I was vocally in favour of some form of MHQ since last Summer. I still am.

However the Irish Govt cocked up our MHQ by imposing restrictions on nations who had less cases than us while implementing it without ANY procedure to deal with vaccinated arrivals. Utterly inept.

I would actually be in favour of MHQ also, but only in extreme circumstances for a very short period of time ie. when a serious variant does arrive that threatens lives of people regardless of vaccination status, I dont believe delta is all its hyped up to be and does not warrant the hysteria it is now being treated with, when a real variant does arrive that is going to rip through our health system we will simply be too fatigued by all the BS we have been fed over the last few months to treat it seriously,

It is quite clear that our MHQ system was a half baked idea thrown together to try and keep opposition politicians and certain sections of society happy, but all it will manage to do is destroy our travel and tourism industries as it is simply not fit for purpose, within the next couple of years we are going to see our airlines decimated, aer lingus wont survive and ryanair will pull out most of their fleet, leaving us with very little connectivity, any other smaller airlines will have gone to the wall in the meantime, if I was somebody working within the aviation sector I would start worrying about my long term future not supporting restrictions and quarantine measures that dont make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

This is so sad to see. Such a great airline, have flown on them so often in the past. The Government need to step in. Instead of wasting billions delaying indoor dining, etc next month - they should help provide funds to our national airline. An airline they made great fanfare over when getting supplies from China in the early days of the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Just booked Gran Canaria flights for next Saturday, I've self designated it a trial event before the return to travel on the 19th of July:D

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

https://youtu.be/cgUoG4BZNe4

Not directly travel related. But this doctor sums up what many of us feel is happening, not only related to travel but in other ways that we are dealing with COVID to the detriment of so many in our society. I would vote for this guy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

jellies wrote: »
    Not directly travel related. But this doctor sums up what many of us feel is happening, not only related to travel but in other ways that we are dealing with COVID to the detriment of so many in our society. I would vote for this guy.

This is actually a well known thing in immunology. I read about it back in Feb 2020.
    When a health infrastructure focuses all or nearly all of its effort to combat a great threat it ends up ignoring lots of lesser threats.
    EG. the 2015 Ebola outbreak in West Africa was contained and dealt with very well. Unfortunately during this time there were less deaths from Ebola than there were from non-Ebola causes.

Tenger wrote: »
    This is actually a well known thing in immunology. I read about it back in Feb 2020.
    When a health infrastructure focuses all or nearly all of its effort to combat a great threat it ends up ignoring lots of lesser threats.
    EG. the 2015 Ebola outbreak in West Africa was contained and dealt with very well. Unfortunately during this time there were less deaths from Ebola than there were from non-Ebola causes.

Yes. I have a friend who's cancer screening were pushed out time and again because of COVID. And by the time the screened him it was too late and he is in a very bad way. If you scale this up there are bound to be loads of similar cases.

And there are the economic factors which seem to be discounted as if it is OK to put hundreds of thousands of people on the PUP, force families to take on debt, lose their jobs and shut down businesses, many which will never reopen. Our governance around those decisions has been really poor with a lack of democratic input due to our appallingly weak Taoiseach and government which has in the most cowardly fashion outsourced it to NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭embraer170

dalyboy wrote: »
    Exactly.

It’s not the ideal situation however our daughter will not play ball with the pcr test as she’s too scared of the testing process (I wouldn’t blame her as I’d be freaked out too at 7 yrs of age)

I can fully understand leaving the kids at home, but leaving the kids at home because they are too scared of a PCR test? Most medical procedures are more dramatic than a COVID test.

There is very little dramatic about a PCR/antigen test administered correctly, and most places I have seen have been quite gentle with kids (there are exceptions of course). Some places use smaller swab sticks for kids, or might only do a throat swab (when doing both a nose and throat for adults). It is worth calling and checking before.

There are schools in other EU countries with mandatory weekly or twice weekly tests, and this was even before the introduction of the easier "lollipop" PCR tests.

In my kid's school (in Germany), if you miss the weekly class PCR test (now done "lollipop" style), you have to organise your own PCR/antigen test (professionally done nose/ throat swab). Without a negative test, your kids stay home (and then you start having other problems with the authorities).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭josip

Does anyone know if the French are administering free PCR tests to tourists on Sundays?
    Not a lot happens in France on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Quick question: is showing the result of a PCR test on the phone acceptable for entry to Ireland or must it be on official paper (e.g. physical certificate)?

embraer170 wrote: »
    I can fully understand leaving the kids at home, but leaving the kids at home because they are too scared of a PCR test? Most medical procedures are more dramatic than a COVID test.

There is very little dramatic about a PCR/antigen test administered correctly, and most places I have seen have been quite gentle with kids (there are exceptions of course). Some places use smaller swab sticks for kids, or might only do a throat swab (when doing both a nose and throat for adults). It is worth calling and checking before.

There are schools in other EU countries with mandatory weekly or twice weekly tests, and this was even before the introduction of the easier "lollipop" PCR tests.

In my kid's school (in Germany), if you miss the weekly class PCR test (now done "lollipop" style), you have to organise your own PCR/antigen test (professionally done nose/ throat swab). Without a negative test, your kids stay home (and then you start having other problems with the authorities).

Every child is different though, they are all unique little people. While one might be grand another might be really upset, especially as it’s been a hard year of covid for them.

Quick question: is showing the result of a PCR test on the phone acceptable for entry to Ireland or must it be on official paper (e.g. physical certificate)?

I believe it's acceptable once you have the original pdf on your phone. Im still going to ask the hotel if I can print it though

I find the nose swab very painful. Had about 8 tests now and all 8 caused me genuine pain. Yes, it's livable and I get on with it but my 6 year old is the same, it's painful to her so yes, it's hard to get her to take a test. 8 year old evidently tagged after her mother, mildly annoying sensation and a shrug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I believe it's acceptable once you have the original pdf on your phone. Im still going to ask the hotel if I can print it though
    Thanks. I will try that too. Always good to have paper backup in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Brought a 4 year old for a test twice, the first one was okay because he hadn't a clue what was happening until it was over but the second one was a meltdown soon as we approached the ET looking tent set up. I'd to physically restrain him in a sort of headlock while they rammed the thing down his throat as he was kicking and screaming.

I'd never get him tested like that again, never, for any reason.

• Advertisement

Perhaps that's not the main reason Manny and daddy want to leave them home! Tough year for everyone right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Interesting perspective on the hardship that travel bans cause ...

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1409044543945719808

Brought a 4 year old for a test twice, the first one was okay because he hadn't a clue what was happening until it was over but the second one was a meltdown soon as we approached the ET looking tent set up. I'd to physically restrain him in a sort of headlock while they rammed the thing down his throat as he was kicking and screaming.

I'd never get him tested like that again, never, for any reason.

1000% this. Seems abusive to me to force children to take a PCR test while vaccinated adults travel with no test. What if the child fails the test? Not hard to see how it could turn into an abuse situation in the wrong family environment. Also there is psychological stress on the child if they are traumatised by the test but yet they need to take it so their family can go on holiday. Doesn't sit well with me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I’ve experienced bringing my daughter to a test centre earlier this year. She got the throat swab with no issue. Then…… once the nurse mentioned the nose swab my daughter physically squirmed. When she saw the length of the swab stick there was no way it was happening.

The nurse urged me to physically restrain her and hold her head in position to receive the swab and I 100% refused to do that to my child. A few tuts and phews from the tester and we left the testing centre. End of.

I knew at that stage (February) that if kids required pcr tests to fly this year then foreign holidays just wouldn’t be happening. Plan B is a perfectly workable solution to all in my family so we will press ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like no back tracking on 19 July

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Does anyone know when you are considered fully vaccinated with Pfizer to be exempt from a PCR coming into Ireland? The vaccine bonus thing is 7 days after second dose. I have seen other EU countries say 14 days for entry so wondering have we confirmed 7/14 for international travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

jellies wrote: »
    Yes. I have a friend who's cancer screening were pushed out time and again because of COVID. And by the time the screened him it was too late and he is in a very bad way. If you scale this up there are bound to be loads of similar cases.

Are you implying that you think your friend would have been screened sooner had there been no restrictions and had the hospitals been constantly overflowing with covid patients?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Éamonn Ryan doesn't think its bad. We could all paddle to Europe on cow fart steamed boats.

Aer Lingus is a privately owned entity. When business is booming, those private owners get the benefit. When business is not booming, they have to deal with that too. Their returns in the former are compensation for the risk in the latter.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Does anyone know when you are considered fully vaccinated with Pfizer to be exempt from a PCR coming into Ireland? The vaccine bonus thing is 7 days after second dose. I have seen other EU countries say 14 days for entry so wondering have we confirmed 7/14 for international travel?

In Ireland it's 7 days after the 2nd shot of Pfizer
    Other EU countries must accept your DCC unless they've a fire break due to high incidences here

• Advertisement

Are you implying that you think your friend would have been screened sooner had there been no restrictions and had the hospitals been constantly overflowing with covid patients?

No. But I think there is a negative side to the balance sheet (economic, social, and medical) which has not been adequately taken into account by our overall governance of COVID.

Advertisement