Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

faceman wrote: »
    Spain has reversed its decision on U.K. visitors and now requires proof of vaccination or PCR test from U.K. travellers

Is that just the islands or is it for the mainland also? I've only read reference to the islands so far.

Would make sense to make them have the same requirements as the DCC for the mainland.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

spockety wrote: »
    ... because we might not allow international travel on the 19th... or if we do, it might be a glorious Irish fudge, where it's only in certain cases, with a 2K fine still applying in other cases.

Most airlines are offering free changes. Just move your flight if you are worried. The latest noise from Eamon Ryan is that July 19th is going ahead.

If indoor dining is anything to go by, if they are going to delay itll be next week when they start kite flying about moving it, so if they do that and you are worried just reschedule your flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Spain has reversed its decision on U.K. visitors and now requires proof of vaccination or PCR test from U.K. travellers

After reading about what's happening in Tenerife this is probably a wise decision, it doesn't make sense to require vaccine cert/covid test results from EU tourists but let thousands of British travellers in unchecked

• Registered Users Posts: 13,882 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Why would we allow international travel on the 19th and then fine people 2k for flying?

You are confusing 2 things.

My understanding is that Britain (or the CTA of people prefer) is not part of the opening of international travel on 19 July.

When did that happen?

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    My understanding is that Britain (or the CTA of people prefer) is not part of the opening of international travel on 19 July.

The 2k fine is for going to the airport, it has nothing to do with where you are intending to fly. Its currently due to expire on July 5th. At best it might be extended to the 18th.
    It will not be extended beyond that unless non essential travel is extended post July 19th (which currently there is no talk of)

Officially it's not but it would it be hard to justify. The uk is vaccinating at a steady pace.
    embraer170 wrote: »
    Well Germany has joined the club by requiring vaccinated travellers from Portugal to get a pre-travel test (PCR or antigen) and quarantine for 14 days. No opportunity to free yourself after 5 days either. Introduced just as the school holidays are starting too, giving people plenty of time to plan.:rolleyes:

Sadly yes, once again the overlord eu is showing to be not so powerful in this area. An eu wide approach seems to be a fairytale.
    uncle-mofo wrote: »
    I just went through security in Dublin about 30 minutes ago. No Gardai to be seen anywhere.

They don't start until 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,344 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Yes. I read somewhere Loulé had more than 100k covid tests in one week, with a population of 70k... sums don’t add up as you only get a test here when you have symptoms... it’s tourists so when you divide positive results by the number of tourists + population, the rate falls into the green zone

I agree with you absolutely. Tests carried out in each county are allocated to each county and the population is not adjusted. This is precisely what has pushed Albufeira into that category. It’s recognised as a problem but they refuse to adjust it. The underlying incidence rate will be much lower as the summertime population is apparently up to 7 times higher and currently more like 3 times higher. The numerator is increased but not the denominator. The Portuguese government will not change, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Just the Balearic islands for now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

gozunda wrote: »
    Just on this - do you believe Ebola deaths / cases would have been as low as they were with no containment?

Ebola is not a disease anyone would like to get. Hence the fire and brimstone approach there to contain what is in effect a very very nasty disease.

Obviously much more lethal than Covid but again without controls and containment - covid case numbers would have been much much higher.

From a public health point of view - its not an easy dice throw to have to make where it is known other healthcare services will be impacted (if only to protect those with a range of conditions and who may vulnerable to infection)............

I don't think I'm qualified to answer your question.

I think the issue over the last 12-15 months was the potential to cause deaths. The focus was on this prevention, in the knowledge that other issues would be ignored.

Its a bit like first aid.
    Deal with the blood loss before the shock, deal with the shock before the broken limb. You aren't ignorng the broken limb, just that the other 2 might kill the patient before the broken leg does.

So while I understand the initial HSE response I feel that they are being too inflexible. At this point I think we should be able to restart the other health services that were paused in 2020 for Covid reasons.

*not medically trained so just the opinion of a random Internet poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

I see on ryanair website flights getting a lot more exp from the 19th july to those looking to head to open indoor dining entertainment destinations

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Tenger wrote: »
    I don't think I'm qualified to answer your question.

I think the issue over the last 12-15 months was the potential to cause deaths. The focus was on this prevention, in the knowledge that other issues would be ignored.

Its a bit like first aid.
    Deal with the blood loss before the shock, deal with the shock before the broken limb. You aren't ignorng the broken limb, just that the other 2 might kill the patient before the broken leg does.

So while I understand the initial HSE response I feel that they are being too inflexible. At this point I think we should be able to restart the other health services that were paused in 2020 for Covid reasons.

*not medically trained so just the opinion of a random Internet poster.

Afaik most services have restarted. The recent cyber attack has presented some additional difficulties though

To add. I have a number of family who work in the health sector - and where I'm getting that information btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Officially it's not but it would it be hard to justify. The uk is vaccinating at a steady pace.

Sadly yes, once again the overlord eu is showing to be not so powerful in this area. An eu wide approach seems to be a fairytale.

They don't start until 7am.

Hi Niner... Does 7am start equally apply to guards at checkpoint outside T2 ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Santan wrote: »
    It's one region there that has gone out of control for some reason, the equivalent of donegal for example, in the north of the island, not a huge hub for tourists at the moment.

I always thought Tenerife - was a popular holiday destination no?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Nobody was excluded from PUP by virtue of working for Aer Lingus. The video is not about giving support to the workers but to the company i.e. subsidising the owners.

Hate to break your heart, we’re not a hermit kingdom. We’re a disconnected island on the periphery of Europe. Our land is marginal, our weather is shyte and we have no natural resources. Without low taxes and good connectivity we’re be one of the poorer western nations.

Well I hate to cause your brain distress but (even ignoring the ignorance and fallacies contained therein) your response has nothing to do with the fact that Aer Lingus workers were not excluded from PUP nor anything to do with the fact that the video was about giving support to the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Looks like Portugal is moving to only allow double vaccinated UK residents

• Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Meself wrote: »

Don't take the 7am start as the rule, they can be there earlier depending on which flights are departing... could easily be 5am also..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Rte reporting that NPHET models show a delay of 2 weeks could reduce case by 10%. At our current levels that's 30 people*, mostly young people who wont even have symptoms let alone end up in hospital or die. Extending pup and business support for 2 weeks will cost a few hundred million.

So burn a few hundred million to stop 30 asymptomatic cases that will be no burden on the health system? Have we officially completely lost the plot?

*to try to make the numbers sound big and scary, rte mentioned that under "certain special circumstances" we could at 1000 cases by July 5th meaning we would prevent a whole 100 cases. Obviously they didn't elaborate on these "special" vague circumstances were. Be afraid. Follow the science.

How can you come to the conclusion that they came up with a model that concluded that between now and the end of the pandemic, the difference between extending by two weeks would only be 10% of the number of cases in one day at today's rates? i.e. 30 asymptomatic cases extra in total.

I'm genuinely fascinated how you came to that understanding

Meself wrote: »

Thanks
    Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Don't take the 7am start as the rule, they can be there earlier depending on which flights are departing... could easily be 5am also..

7am is very much the rule. It's the actual start time.

T2 is by traffic unit from outside the airport so you have to consider other operations issues and travel times but the theory is 7am as well.

As said before, you could encounter Gardai 24/7 inside the airport / on patrol as the airport has it's own station and Gardai

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Has anyone on this thread reported meeting them at 5am or are you using that as a "for example" ie expect to meet the gards any day any time?

Right...
    This Spain thing has thrown up a dilemma
    As a sort of insurance policy for if our hse vaccination cards not being accepted by BA in Belfast,London or the accommodation in Tenerife, we booked antigen tests from Randox in Belfast city airport (it's actually up the road in Hollywood)

Now those are going to have to be a pcr

Anyone here do an express pcr test from Randox?
    It says results within 24hrs
    Typically how long has it took?
    The one at Dublin Airport is open from 2am to 7pm so might be the handiest

Presumably by phoning,the appointment can be changed to Dublin airport which is at the Clayton Hotel I think ?

Crucially though,how long did it take as its best done as close as possible to the flight so as to get the maximum usefull 72hr period
    Thanks
    It all seems over kill considering I'm fully vaccinated but taking no chances

• Registered Users Posts: 13,882 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The 2k fine is for going to the airport, it has nothing to do with where you are intending to fly. Its currently due to expire on July 5th. At best it might be extended to the 18th.
    It will not be extended beyond that unless non essential travel is extended post July 19th (which currently there is no talk of)

Great!!

So just seen this. https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-travel-and-transport/

It says no restrictions on arrivals into Scotland from
    Ireland.

What possible issues could I face at Dublin airport trying to fly out from the 19th July onwards?

Not worried about coming back for the time being. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I'm a bit out of the loop, but is there any potential risk of booking flights for August right now? It's not a huge deal for me if going abroad gets delayed, but what happens to booked flights? Is it a refund? Voucher? Do I lose my money?

Great!!

So just seen this. https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-travel-and-transport/

It says no restrictions on arrivals into Scotland from
    Ireland.

What possible issues could I face at Dublin airport trying to fly out from the 19th July onwards?

Not worried about coming back for the time being. :)

Under current plans for reopening your trip to Scotland would be 100% above board :)

Make sure your flights are changeable in case Tony grows "concerned" again (aer lingus and ryanair are both offering free changes currently)

But otherwise that is currently allowed. There will be no outward restrictions. You'll need a vaccine or pcr test coming back.

July 19th is the due date for the return of non essential travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sheepish97

Hi guys, sorry if this has been dealt with before but I’m just wondering what are the current guidelines for someone who is fully vaccinated and had a negative pcr test prior to arrival from Portugal with regards to resuming work? TIA.

sheepish97 wrote: »
    Hi guys, sorry if this has been dealt with before but I’m just wondering what are the current guidelines for someone who is fully vaccinated and had a negative pcr test prior to arrival with regards to resuming work? TIA.

Depends where you are coming from and if its before July 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sheepish97

Depends where you are coming from and if its before July 19th.

Sorry I meant to include Portugal, and yes before July 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AnaMil

Hi,

Just wondering is attending the wedding and christening of a family member is considered unessential travel?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,966 ✭✭✭✭josip

dalyboy wrote: »
    Most Americans don’t even have a passport.

Most Europeans never travel outside Europe.

Advertisement