Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Right...
    This Spain thing has thrown up a dilemma
    As a sort of insurance policy for if our hse vaccination cards not being accepted by BA in Belfast,London or the accommodation in Tenerife, we booked antigen tests from Randox in Belfast city airport (it's actually up the road in Hollywood)

Now those are going to have to be a pcr

Anyone here do an express pcr test from Randox?
    It says results within 24hrs
    Typically how long has it took?
    The one at Dublin Airport is open from 2am to 7pm so might be the handiest

Presumably by phoning,the appointment can be changed to Dublin airport which is at the Clayton Hotel I think ?

Crucially though,how long did it take as its best done as close as possible to the flight so as to get the maximum usefull 72hr period
    Thanks
    It all seems over kill considering I'm fully vaccinated but taking no chances

Hello Marine Layer,
    in the 2 instances that I used Randox a few months ago, the results came back within 24 hours. One appointment was in the afternoon, the other in a morning. It would appear that they sent the samples to the lab at the end of the day and the lab processes overnight. because both times the email with the result came early in the morning.
    btw, not sure if the Clayton hotel still operates, I did mine in Dublin airport, they are opposite T2 entrance, just outside the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Avon8

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Looks like Portugal is moving to only allow double vaccinated UK residents

I really don't understand this. While less likely, can't vaccinated people still technically be carriers without feeling the ill effects? At least with a negative PCR it's actually been checked that the person is Covid clear to the best of our current ability

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

AnaMil wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering is attending the wedding and christening of a family member is considered unessential travel?

Thanks

Yes obviously not essential, until 19 July...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

@Marine Layer If it helps any, I did the PCR test with Gosafe yesterday (near Blanchardstown). They generally promise results in 4 to 6 hours, we had ours back in exactly 4 hours. Service was very quick and efficient, only downside was the place was a little difficult to find in the industrial estate.

corkonion wrote: »
    That's true Tony.

Haha, have a glance though my brief posting history and you'll see i'm about as anti Tony as you can get!

I'd like to get to the Algarve prior to getting double jabbed which will be about October id say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Avon8 wrote: »
    I really don't understand this. While less likely, can't vaccinated people still technically be carriers without feeling the ill effects? At least with a negative PCR it's actually been checked that the person is Covid clear to the best of our current ability

Antigen for travel is what should be used, again the Irish are the outliers in not using this...
    PCR's are just a snapshot of the past, doesn't tell you if you're carrying enough of the virus to infect anyone else.. just a scam for travel, someone is making millions of Euro out of it here in Ireland..

Darwin wrote: »
    @Marine Layer If it helps any, I did the PCR test with Gosafe yesterday (near Blanchardstown). They generally promise results in 4 to 6 hours, we had ours back in exactly 4 hours. Service was very quick and efficient, only downside was the place was a little difficult to find in the industrial estate.

Never heard of them but that sounds great!
    Will pm you shortly, so as not to clutter the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭embraer170

Yes obviously not essential, until 19 July...

Not so obvious when the officer on duty can exercise discretion on what is essential or not.

Visiting a grave is however always essential, apparently.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Antigen for travel is what should be used, again the Irish are the outliers in not using this...
    PCR's are just a snapshot of the past, doesn't tell you if you're carrying enough of the virus to infect anyone else.. just a scam for travel, someone is making millions of Euro out of it here in Ireland..

You're misunderstanding me. Portugal are saying they'll only take doubly vaccinated people and not negative tests. I'm thinking this is madness. I personally would remove all barriers to travel, and let people use Antigen tests for personal responsibility if they so wished.

I was wondering why Portugal had gone so strict that they wouldn't even take PCR's from UK travelers anymore, never mind Antigen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You're misunderstanding me. Portugal are saying they'll only take doubly vaccinated people and not negative tests. I'm thinking this is madness. I personally would remove all barriers to travel, and let people use Antigen tests for personal responsibility if they so wished.

I was wondering why Portugal had gone so strict that they wouldn't even take PCR's from UK travelers anymore, never mind Antigen

Like someone else here said, it's politics not science...

Shows you what a scam the Digital Green pass is when regardless of your vaccination and/or negative test status you'll still be quarantined or banned from travel..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

is 19th of july donedeal date for reopening of international travel or mehole needs to confirm that again until very last minute same as now it's 1 week to apparent reopening of indoor dining and it's still up in the stars?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

Shows you what a scam the Digital Green pass is when regardless of your vaccination and/or negative test status you'll still be quarantined or banned from travel..

Politics may be something to do with this, one correction though, if you're vaccinated then there's no quarantine required in Portugal, that's what my friends from the UK were told (both vaccinated).

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

It looks like it's more bullyboy tactics from the Germans, these extra measures in Spain and Portugal have obviously been brought in to appease Merkel, these countries don't want to be losing out on German tourists revenue either

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

gozunda wrote: »
    I always thought Tenerife - was a popular holiday destination no?

Referring to that small region in the north of the island

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Zebra3 wrote: »
    My understanding is that Britain (or the CTA of people prefer) is not part of the opening of international travel on 19 July.

Not because they left the EU.
    The Digital Covid Certificate is an EU plan. There were rumblings that both the UK and US would introduce their own equivalent system that would aloow all 3 jurisdictions to travel freely amongst each other..
    AnaMil wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering is attending the wedding and christening of a family member is considered unessential travel?

Thanks

Proably. But again at the moment this concerns travel before July 19th

The DCC system allows each member state to apply their own additional restrictions.

It looks like it's more bullyboy tactics from the Germans, these extra measures in Spain and Portugal have obviously been brought in to appease Merkel, these countries don't want to be losing out on German tourists revenue either
    Doubtful, why would the Germans put restrictions on Portigal if they want their citizens to travel there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭brickster69

That's not all. Malta & Portugal are saying teenagers have to be double jabbed also. Kids under 12 are ok though

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

when will confirmation of what's happening between the UK and Ireland take place?

Are the UK on the EU green list or not?

josip wrote: »
    Most Europeans never travel outside Europe.

They have passports though and there's far more diversity within the eu then the us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

That's not all. Malta & Portugal are saying teenagers have to be double jabbed also. Kids under 12 are ok though

Is this for people travelling from the UK only? Or also from other EU Countries?

when will confirmation of what's happening between the UK and Ireland take place?

Are the UK on the EU green list or not?

I think all the talk currently is about banning the UK from EU travel not allowing them in :pac::pac::pac:

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

Skippette wrote: »
    Is that just the islands or is it for the mainland also? I've only read reference to the islands so far.

Would make sense to make them have the same requirements as the DCC for the mainland.
    Just the Balearic islands for now.

It's for all of Spain. All visitors from the UK will need to be either vaccinated or produce a negative PCR test. It's being implemented on 1st July. Interestingly, visitors from the UK won't have the option of producing an Antigen test, whereas visitors from the EU will.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2021-06-28/spanish-pm-announces-travelers-from-uk-will-have-to-show-pcr-test-or-be-fully-vaccinated.html

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Is this for people travelling from the UK only? Or also from other EU Countries?

I don't have a clue, just like everyone else. Best off asking the lunatics running it all :pac::pac:

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

It’s political. Merkel came down hard on Portugal, blamed Portugal for seeding delta in Germany, who in turn imported it from the UK. Merkel has been pushing for an EU wide system from the start, the southern countries want the queens pound and want them in against Merkels wishes, who also wants some post Brexit torture for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

josip wrote: »
    Most Europeans never travel outside Europe.

I looked it up once about two years ago. Before COVID, the figures were about 42% of Americans had passports, 47% of French, 36% of Germans.

You effectively need a passport to go more than a couple hundred miles if you're Irish and want a change of climate, you're not in Schengen. Thus it's the default condition to own one. Want to go skiing? Passport. Mountaineering? Passport. Lounging on the beach with a cold cocktail? Passport. Want good reliable weather to learn to fly? Passport. SCUBA diving with tropical fish? Passport. Not much choice.

I can go from the Western Pacific to the Eastern Caribbean as an American without a passport, with pretty much every type of environment available to me. A Frenchman has much the same options.

A survey came out also just before COVID, observing that Americans were far more likely to get on an airplane and go somewhere than almost anyone else in the world. They just went for shorter periods and not across borders.

Speaking of, just got back from El Paso on Saturday. Never thought I'd be glad to return to a more humid part of the country. The air there is so dry it was turning my throat raw. Vegas on Wednesday.

Valhallapt wrote: »
    It’s political. Merkel came down hard on Portugal, blamed Portugal for seeding delta in Germany, who in turn imported it from the UK. Merkel has been pushing for an EU wide system from the start, the southern countries want the queens pound and want them in against Merkels wishes, who also wants some post Brexit torture for them.

To be fair Portugal does have lot's of ties to India also with the likes of Goa being tied to them. They also never stopped Indian travel until the start of May so probably had it enter that way originally.

- Camille Paglia

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Thanks.

That reads to me as being from UK only not EU to Malta in relation to being fully vaccinated. (Open to correction though)

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Thanks.

That reads to me as being from UK only not EU to Malta in relation to being fully vaccinated. (Open to correction though)

Yeah, it sounds about right :D

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Speaking of, just got back from El Paso on Saturday. Never thought I'd be glad to return to a more humid part of the country. The air there is so dry it was turning my throat raw. Vegas on Wednesday.

Well your throat will be even more raw in Vegas lol. This year has been the hottest I remember for a while. Be warned too, the place is popping. Everywhere is rammed, even the locals places. I guess people have a lot of partying to catch up on

• Advertisement
Advertisement