Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I'm starting to get very twitchy now about what this shower of absolute weasels will come out with regarding travel. Our holiday is booked with a travel agent who wont fly if Government say so. Really hope they don't delay the 19th opening for travel, I cannot believe I even am typing this, it is beyond crazy we are in this position. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

pc7 wrote: »
    I'm starting to get very twitchy now about what this shower of absolute weasels will come out with regarding travel. Our holiday is booked with a travel agent who wont fly if Government say so. Really hope they don't delay the 19th opening for travel, I cannot believe I even am typing this, it is beyond crazy we are in this position. :(

I don't know any more than you but I think that there is scope for Ireland to delay implementation of DCC to mid-August (6 weeks after July 1st) but after that I think that they need to do it. But I don't know what scope they have after that to diverge from it.
    If it's any comfort even with all the negative kite-flying in the last 24 hours, they are still saying International travel for July 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cona44

Today I am booking a holiday for the end of July. I cannot stand another minute listening to this government and NPHET. Anyway, can someone enlighten me as to what procedures I will need to follow considering I may not be fully vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Cona44 wrote: »
    Today I am booking a holiday for the end of July. I cannot stand another minute listening to this government and NPHET. Anyway, can someone enlighten me as to what procedures I will need to follow considering I may not be fully vaccinated?

After the 19th July the DCC comes into play from Ireland. So if you are booking a Europe holiday, you will need the DCC - details of which haven't been released yet - as in how we actually get/download it.

You will need a negative Antigen/PCR - have a look at what the country you are going to requires. Spain will allow negative Antigen taken within 48 hours (I think at the moment it's 72 hours, but the DCC is 48 hours)

After that, spending money and sun cream ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Was listening to Sam “Doom & Gloom” McConkey on Newstalk this morning. Has he changed his tune? He wasn’t pushing his lockdown-everything stance he usually takes and said we need to be looking more at living with covid. He admitted his modelling wasn’t as severe as NPHET too.

Next we will be seeing Anthony Staines on a beach in Greece skulling pints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

SusanC10 wrote: »
    If it's any comfort even with all the negative kite-flying in the last 24 hours, they are still saying International travel for July 19th.

With all the Doomsday projections being sent around by the NPHET government my recommendation is that you all book a vacation abroad now, spend your time and money to get a break from this country for a few weeks before heading into more Lockdowns this Winter season...

Otherwise get yourself some warm rain jackets and prepare for your #Staycation.

A final decision on international travel will not be taken until next week’s Cabinet meeting.

faceman wrote: »
    Was listening to Sam “Doom & Gloom” McConkey on Newstalk this morning. Has he changed his tune? He wasn’t pushing his lockdown-everything stance he usually takes and said we need to be looking more at living with covid. He admitted his modelling wasn’t as severe as NPHET too.

Next we will be seeing Anthony Staines on a beach in Greece skulling pints

McConkey isn't thick
    At least he adapts to circumstances
    I admire him for that
    This new adaptation started creeping into his interviews a few weeks ago
    Its realism based on the vaccine roll out
    Science and numbers that can't be faulted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Tazz T wrote: »
    One was always going to be sacrificed for the other. I'll bet money both are now the 19th. Travel will have to be allowed due to Ireland signing up for the DCC but you can bet they won't make it easy. It'll be pcrs all the way and some countries may yet be redlisted now Germany has done that to Portugal

There's part one of that...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/indoor-dining-delayed-until-july-19-while-vaccine-cert-system-is-developed-40591472.html

On the bright side it should keep numbers down until then so there is no excuse (until one is found) to prevent travel on the 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

McConkey isn't thick
    At least he adapts to circumstances
    I admire him for that
    This new adaptation started creeping into his interviews a few weeks ago
    Its realism based on the vaccine roll out
    Science and numbers that can't be faulted

ISAG don't change... they want Zero Covid at any cost... Trying to Copy Australia and we all see how that's working out for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    ISAG don't change... they want Zero Covid at any cost... Trying to Copy Australia and we all see how that's working out for them..

It seems McConkey has defected or been kicked out of ISAG as they are retweeting criticism of him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

This is really embarrassing as a country, why bother stepping outside your front door, the sun could give you skin cancer, a car could knock you down, hell a bird could sh1t on you.

stop living in fear, why can other countries open everything up and have no problems

Tenzor07 wrote: »

There's a very good chance Australia is about to get hammered out of it, so maybe they'll go quiet in the run up to the 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Ive booked flights to come back to Ireland in mid august, first time since Christmas 2019!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GreenWarman48

Does anyone know if you can turn back and leave the airport and avoid getting fined if gardai don't accept the reason? I have a medical appointment abroad but the letter isn't in English and I'm concerned gardai might question me - really can't afford 2k on top of things

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm still really worried they'll delay travel... I'd probably go anyway, but that lock on travel by the Public Service will only go when the government are happy for it to go, and until then, there is no logical way for me to go anywhere. Regardless of what other people are doing.

Does anyone know if you can turn back and leave the airport and avoid getting fined if gardai don't accept the reason? I have a medical appointment abroad but the letter isn't in English and I'm concerned gardai might question me - really can't afford 2k on top of things

well it's supposed to be engage educate and encourage, as a last resort, enforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

The Gardai have stopped looking for proof or evidence of reasons to travel but they are still asking questions if you are one of the one's they stop. You can just make up whatever you want at this stage. Funeral, medical appointment, job etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Are the GARDAI still at the airports ?

Will they be there until July 19th ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Are the GARDAI still at the airports ?

Will they be there until July 19th ?

The Gardai are always at Dublin Airport anyway- there is a Garda Station there.

However, who knows if they will be questioning people's reason for travel after July 19th ?
    Depends on whether non-essential International Travel will be permitted on July 19th or will it be delayed ?
    Will the €2,000 fine be gone then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

Firstly, it's very unlikely the Gardai will ask for proof of why you are leaving. "Im going to x for a medical procedure" will more than likely be enough. On the very small chance you get a fine, you still have proof that you went for a medical procedure (the letter is proof, as is any receipt you get). The Gardai really aren't "questioning" anyone. I was worried before I traveled as well, but the reality was far more easy going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

RTE: The Licensed Vintners Association has said it will reject any move to separate out the vaccinated from the non vaccinated, describing the suggestion as ridiculous and unworkable.

Thank god. Time for some resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MrMiyagi12345

I flew over the weekend for a medical appointment ;) . Asked me on way out did I have a letter, went to take it out and he waved me on without looking at it. Person I was travelling with went to a different gate and wasn't asked to produce anything. I would be shocked if you have any issues.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

RoryMac wrote: »
    Pretty sure the Gov.have the option to put off opening travel for another 6 weeks. .....
    Option is 6 weeks from the implementation date. So 6 weeks from July 1st.

We are already the only EU member NOT implementing to on July 1st.

Tazz T wrote: »
    There's a very good chance Australia is about to get hammered out of it, so maybe they'll go quiet in the run up to the 19th
    Family in Australia. They say the vaccine uptake is quite low and that the hints from their Govt is no foreign travel before March 2022. It had been October 2021 previously.

When will we know if the 2,000 EUR fine for leaving the country is extended? Are we 'welcoming' EU citizens with DCC from Thursday?
    What EU citizen would want to visit, with no indoor dining and all the hotel prices jacked up due to pent up demand

• Registered Users Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

RobitTV wrote: »
    RTE: The Licensed Vintners Association has said it will reject any move to separate out the vaccinated from the non vaccinated, describing the suggestion as ridiculous and unworkable.

Thank god. Time for some resistance.

I'd agree that it's probably unworkable.

Sure just leave them closed

• Registered Users Posts: 17 northcider85

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Chuck Norris 2021

Apologies if not allowed, but has anyone here taken out travel insurance recently with covid cover? Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Apologies if not allowed, but has anyone here taken out travel insurance recently with covid cover? Any recommendations?

Interested in that myself, if anyone knows any good coverage with a good price. Things like having to extend stay due to catching COVID, or having to cancel due to catching COVID, would be great to get cover for.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭patscott27

kilns wrote: »
    This is really embarrassing as a country, why bother stepping outside your front door, the sun could give you skin cancer, a car could knock you down, hell a bird could sh1t on you.

stop living in fear, why can other countries open everything up and have no problems
    I would never let a bird S#ith on me

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Chuck Norris 2021

rm212 wrote: »
    Interested in that myself, if anyone knows any good coverage with a good price. Things like having to extend stay due to catching COVID, or having to cancel due to catching COVID, would be great to get cover for.

The companies I've visited to date all exclude cover if the DFA have travel advisories in place, so they're of no use, you'd wonder why they're even offering them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Don't be ridiculous.

If you don't have a valid reason and want to go anyway then be nice and provide whatever answers they require and off you go.

If you do have an essential reason and evidence of that then you can tell them to **** off for all the difference it should make, you are not a prisoner, just go where you need to go.

Bizarre how far the 'new normal' seems to have affected people mentally, especially if anxiety may have been an issue beforehand at all.

Advertisement