Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

The companies I've visited to date all exclude cover if the DFA have travel advisories in place, so they're of no use, you'd wonder why they're even offering them.

This. Even when we're allowed to travel, it's highly likely the advice will be not to, so the cover will be useless.

RobitTV wrote: »
    RTE: The Licensed Vintners Association has said it will reject any move to separate out the vaccinated from the non vaccinated, describing the suggestion as ridiculous and unworkable.

Thank god. Time for some resistance.

its not remotely unworkable. They can weed out underage drinkers cant they (In theory)?

Its equally as simple albeit equally easy to bull****. Show proof of vaccination, viola. In fact, its easier than the system of meals and time limits.

Jesus, the one arguement the vitners cant throw up is their inability to seperate those that can legally enter from those that cant.

In Prague I had 3 choices if I wanted to stay in a hotel or enter an indoor event (not restaurants or pubs though):
    • Proof of vaccination (which everyone that requested it accepted a picture on my phone of my vaccination card).
    • Antigen test, again on phone (including self administered), valid for 3 days. (Im unsure how this would even be tested really though as the tests you bought yourself contained no dates or times).
    • PCR test which is provided for free in multiple locations and valid for 7 days

It worked fine however and caused little delay as everyone had the required proof to hand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Not that good, in Denmark you saw 25,000 fans in Copenhagen attend a football match, here in Holohanland we're being made feel thankful for 500 being allowed attend outdoor events?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>

In Prague I had 3 choices if I wanted to stay in a hotel or enter an indoor event (not restaurants or pubs though):
    • Proof of vaccination (which everyone that requested it accepted a picture on my phone of my vaccination card).
    • Antigen test, again on phone (including self administered), valid for 3 days. (Im unsure how this would even be tested really though as the tests you bought yourself contained no dates or times).
    • PCR test which is provided for free in multiple locations and valid for 7 days

It worked fine however and caused little delay as everyone had the required proof to hand
    indeed, identical to Germany and Austria. Italy was also (is still) using certified antigen tests for various purposes.

The continentals are learning from each other and getting on with it and their infection numbers are a fraction of Irelands, Ireland has 46 cases/100k over 7 days compared to Czech & Italy 8 , Austria 7 and Germany just 5

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

Tenerife went back up a level last week to stop indoor dining amongst other restrictions, this was because a small region in the north went out of control, but the entire island was punished. The hotel, bar and restaurant association took the government to court straight away and this morning won their case to get back the right to allow indoor use. Why can't Ireland do something like this, no fight back from these associations that are paid to do just this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I'll be watching the mood music very carefully come the winter, if there is any sign of a lockdown/schools closing I'll be taking the family to the Canaries for the winter. I can work from anywhere and kids can do remote schooling from anywhere. I can't believe this is something that may be a possibility with vaccines in place, I really am stunned by todays announcement.

indeed, identical to Germany and Austria. Italy was also (is still) using certified antigen tests for various purposes.

The continentals are learning from each other and getting on with it and their infection numbers are a fraction of Irelands, Ireland has 46 cases/100k over 7 days compared to Czech & Italy 8 , Austria 7 and Germany just 5

I can see a roaring trade in fake vaccine certs, doctors letters, Pcr tests the lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I'd be interested in seeing how many tests are being conducted here compared to other countries. Our death rate has been historically lower than most places. And at this stage we seem to have more testing centres than vaccination centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ellie1988

Hi all, I got vaccinated in the north but live in the south. Does anyone know if I'm eligible for the roi vaccine passport? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

The companies I've visited to date all exclude cover if the DFA have travel advisories in place, so they're of no use, you'd wonder why they're even offering them.

Will DFA advice on international travel be the same as NPHET, I wonder ? Only fully vaccinated people advised to travel.

• Advertisement

What are people's thoughts now (after today's announcement) on what will happen with non-essential International Travel?
    Will EU DCC still go ahead on July 19th ?

SusanC10 wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts now (after today's announcement) on what will happen with non-essential International Travel?
    Will EU DCC still go ahead on July 19th ?

They're dovetailing in the Vaccine/travel cert with indoor dining for Vacc'd only so yes it will...

Either way, get your test and leave this country for a few weeks...months...years..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Let’s spare a thought for poor Stephen Donnelly there on radio 1 . Dobson had him tied up in knots, stammering , and stuttering when he implied that NPHET have “advised” against pcr (unbelievably) tests being recognised as travel exemption post 19th July.

Dobson pressed for clarification on his utterance but Donnelly went off on some tangent to avoid the topic. I wonder is this the next rights deduction in conversation NPHET-government and he let it slip by mistake. …… prepare for incoming anti travel kite flying in the next 1-2 weeks leading up to the 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

dalyboy wrote: »
    Let’s spare a thought for poor Stephen Donnelly there on radio 1 . Dobson had him tied up in knots, stammering , and stuttering when he implied that NPHET have “advised” against pcr (unbelievably) tests being recognised as travel exemption post 19th July.

Dobson pressed for clarification on his utterance but Donnelly went off on some tangent to avoid the topic. I wonder is this the next rights deduction in conversation NPHET-government and he let it slip by mistake.

#disbandnphet
    They’re an utter disgrace & the Government are worse

Yep but then, the adherence to the system is very obvious too. Of course there will always be jerks but there was far less evidence of people sitting shoulder to shoulder or pulling their masks down. They worked within the system so they could enjoy the freedom.

Irish? Always looking to beat the system and be smart.
    Ellie1988 wrote: »
    Hi all, I got vaccinated in the north but live in the south. Does anyone know if I'm eligible for the roi vaccine passport? TIA

What an interesting question. I would assume initially not as you went with their system. Why didn't you just get it in the south?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Quags

This is from the rest of his tweet

"He said NPHET has advised the Government that the pre-flight PCR test is not what it recommends and "the Government supports that advice, however under law people will be allowed to travel and allowed to return with that
    pre-flight PCR test and not have to home quarantine". He said there are many things that are given as public health advice but are not penalised under the law"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I can see a roaring trade in fake vaccine certs, doctors letters, Pcr tests the lot...

Yes, seems kinda obvious that this is open to abuse.

Either a) you have a population who tend to obey the rules and not try to game the system or b) you have such a harsh criminal penalty for doing so, combined with spot checks, that it discourages people from trying.

I'm not sure which it is in the countries that niner_leprauchan/munchkin mentioned?

Quags wrote: »
    This is from the rest of his tweet

"He said NPHET has advised the Government that the pre-flight PCR test is not what it recommends and "the Government supports that advice, however under law people will be allowed to travel and allowed to return with that
    pre-flight PCR test and not have to home quarantine". He said there are many things that are given as public health advice but are not penalised under the law"

Thanks for adding that. I was trying to get the 3 Tweets all to show on my post !

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Thanks for adding that. I was trying to get the 3 Tweets all to show on my post !

So if reading it correctly, Nphet don't really want travel, but have no way to stop it if you meet the 3 criteria?

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote: »
    So if reading it correctly, Nphet don't really want travel, but have no way to stop it if you meet the 3 criteria?

If you meet any 1 of the 3 criteria contained in the EU DCC is my reading of it, yes.

pc7 wrote: »

Yep basically, have a negative test arriving or leaving. They will moan about it but its the law

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Sorry now, slightly lost....the negative PCR to leave Ireland. But Spain said that an Antigen would suffice, so is Antigen ok, or do we need a negative PCR to leave Ireland?

Skippette wrote: »
    Sorry now, slightly lost....the negative PCR to leave Ireland. But Spain said that an Antigen would suffice, so is Antigen ok, or do we need a negative PCR to leave Ireland?

NO PCR to leave this country, just check the requirements of the other country, Antigen test or proof of Vacc/recovery.

Skippette wrote: »

I believe its whatever test the country your visiting accepts so both Antigen & PCR but arriving back to Nazi Ireland you need PCR

Yes, seems kinda obvious that this is open to abuse.
    Either a) you have a population who tend to obey the rules and not try to game the system or b) you have such a harsh criminal penalty for doing so, combined with spot checks, that it discourages people from trying.
    I'm not sure which it is in the countries that niner_leprauchan/munchkin mentioned?

I don't think many of the population of Ireland have much respect for these crazy rules NPHET are coming out with so would expect that fake letters will be used... there's not enough Gards going around to check all this, plus what are they going to do? Start phoning your Doctor at 9pm?

I hear talk of an App but sure they spent €1.5 millilon on the Covid tracker app that took months and months to release, plus if you don't have a smartphone as many elderly-vaccinated may not have then it makes an app all the more useless.

More Mixed messages versus Fergal Bowers Tweets above

RTE news : What Covid-19 restrictions will apply next month?

http://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0629/1232029-at-a-glance-reopening-delayed/

I particularly don't like the last sentence in this article

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

http://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0629/1232029-at-a-glance-reopening-delayed/

Well in theory the 'prevailing public health' situation at the time will be pretty good given we are facing another few weeks of lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ellie1988

dalyboy wrote: »
    If they are going SE Asia for 4 months then when they’re questioned (in Dublin airport) they should be able to claim “remote working” which I believe would escape any further questions and fine.

Btw. The Phuket sandbox model that Thailand is piloting is full of twists and turns. Nothing has yet been confirmed as it’s awaiting publishing on the royal gazette (should be announced next week) Expect ALOT of restrictions (even if vaccinated) still like travel insurance , pcr testing , random temperature checks , outside masks, personal tracking etc.
    Yep but then, the adherence to the system is very obvious too. Of course there will always be jerks but there was far less evidence of people sitting shoulder to shoulder or pulling their masks down. They worked within the system so they could enjoy the freedom.

Irish? Always looking to beat the system and be smart.

What an interesting question. I would assume initially not as you went with their system. Why didn't you just get it in the south?

i have an underlying condition and was offered my first vaccine in March in the north. Was basically told that i would be waiting until August to get my first down here (i'm still waiting for my age group to be able to register on the portal here).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Quechyquat

"Depending on the prevailing public health situation at the time, Ireland will operate the EU Digital COVID Certificate (DCC) for travel originating within the EU/EEA," said a statement.

This annoys the absolute bejaysus out of me. The reality is that we are obliged to operate the EU DCC from this Thursday; all that we are not in a position to do is issue our own certs. 1st July to 12th August is merely a transition period after which all countries must be issuing DCCs. In the meantime, we must accept an equivalent if we are not geared up; similarly other EU countries must accept an equivalent from us until such time as we have our act together.

So essentially quarantine-free inbound EU travel is allowed with DCC or equivalent as is outbound. Outbound is obviously prohibited for non-essential reasons but that's another matter.

Additional restrictions on inbound travel could only be introduced if "they are necessary and proportionate for the purpose of safeguarding public health in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, also taking into account available scientific evidence, including epidemiological data published by the ECDC on the basis of Recommendation (EU) 2020/1475."

There's currently an awful lot of green and orange on the ECDC map so difficult to justify anything additional for inbound on that basis. Outbound will always be dependent on individual countries but, again, one would imagine it would be equally difficult to justify for Ireland at present. Some might point to the Germany/Portugal situation in terms of additional restrictions on EU travel but my quick calculation has Portugal at approx. 93 cases per 100,000 over the past week (rising) and Ireland at 45 (stable).

Advertisement