Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ionnn

I don't see how aer lingus are going to survive this. Who is going to travel to Ireland in the next 6-8 months given the complete dysfunction in policy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

That's after the 19th
    No restrictions other than what Spain requires

True. However that’s if we all don’t end up with whip lash if this mooted “emergency break” clause is pulled on us beforehand.

After the last 24 hours anything is possible . They can quite literally spout any old nonsense and pump fear projections and we are out of the DGC system.

dalyboy wrote: »
    True. However that’s if we all don’t end up with whip lash if this mooted “emergency break” clause is pulled on us beforehand.

After the last 24 hours anything is possible . They can quite literally spout any old nonsense and pump fear projections and we are out of the DGC system.

Tbh, the only deliberate sabotage here is by a thing called delta
    I'm not pessimistic, vaccinations in Spain are going well with 24h mvc's now even in operation
    Emergency breaks are more likely against non EU countries in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I'm not pessimistic, vaccinations in Spain are going well with 24h mvc's now even in operation

I'd love to share your confidence but logic doesn't seem to be much of a factor in the current decision making

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I've a flight for essential reasons next week, and by God will I enjoy sitting indoors somewhere having a meal one of the days.

After that, I have flights to visit family in the UK booked for late August. I don't care anymore what the Irish government require from me, I'm going. I'm vaccinated, I wear a mask, I sanitize, I maintain distance. I've had enough of not seeing my family and nothing will stop me from getting on either flight.

• Advertisement

RoryMac wrote: »
    I'd love to share your confidence but logic doesn't seem to be much of a factor in the current decision making

Exactly. That’s the problem. Lack of logic and logical deductive reasoning.

What we got last night with 700K infections projection from indoor hospitality can’t be for one second thought of as an isolated moment of madness from our newly unelected policy makers. They’ll do this again. Shock and awe tactics.

Why would travel be exempted from a similar “delay” (with no required Re-introduction date required either)

They get away with that one they get away with the next one.

I hate being negative but they simply don’t care anymore. They wear the outlier of Europe badge with pride.

There's no doubt NPHET will advise against opening travel, will the backlash from today push the Gov into taking a stand against that?

I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

I think the emergency brake can only be used in coordination with the Eu, individual countries just can't use it when they feel like it

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

There's no doubt NPHET will advise against opening travel, will the backlash from today push the Gov into taking a stand against that?

I doubt it

The cert will come in, Nphet can't stop it, they can advise all they like but they know they can't do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭zvone

I flew over the weekend for a medical appointment ;) . Asked me on way out did I have a letter, went to take it out and he waved me on without looking at it. Person I was travelling with went to a different gate and wasn't asked to produce anything. I would be shocked if you have any issues.

So we can say chances to be fined by garda is equal to chances to die from Covid? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Holohan-NPHET have advised against travel since the start of this, though I can't seem them trying to stop Vaccinated from travelling... Just need those ridiculous waste of Gardai time checkpoints at the Airports being removed fully..

mmclo wrote: »
    I'd be less sure, the article doesn't say if any other members of his family are EU citizens, if they are it's a strong case, interesting arguments on family life and the clarity and certainty of the regs to e offset against the states right to restrict freedom to travel under the conditions which have been well rehearsed here

Is his barrister the TD?

How does it improve the argument?

If he was needed to sign paperwork in order for them to remain, I doubt there's any eu citizens in the group.

bladespin wrote: »
    How many votes did Tony get? He’s running the show, pulled the rug on the government completely with this one, apparently they didn’t see it coming.

Tony, despite what people say (and it really sounds silly) doesn't make the decisions. He advises, the government acts.

The government has plenty of advisors in all parts of the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

fm wrote: »
    I think the emergency brake can only be used in coordination with the Eu, individual countries just can't use it when they feel like it

Yes but with Germany etc introducing new restrictions the Delta variant seems to fit the bill, politically as opposed to scientifically or in terms of normal risk management concepts

• Registered Users Posts: 19,760 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

ionnn wrote: »
    I don't see how aer lingus are going to survive this. Who is going to travel to Ireland in the next 6-8 months given the complete dysfunction in policy

It's lucky that the state sold its share so, and that private investors and businessmen who took the rewards in exchange for the risk, now have to manage the manifestation of that risk into real world problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

mmclo wrote: »
    Yes but with Germany etc introducing new restrictions the Delta variant seems to fit the bill, politically as opposed to scientifically or in terms of normal risk management concepts

True, only caveat though is that Germany did this before the official start date of July 1st. Perhaps this means something, perhaps not..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Tony, despite what people say (and it really sounds silly) doesn't make the decisions. He advises, the government acts.

The government has plenty of advisors in all parts of the machine.

Ach, well, yes I suppose so, in a kind of way ......

That the present Taoiseach is a strong contender for the highly contested position of 'Most Useless Taoiseach in the history of The State' does not help.

The entire show is shameful

Once again, the country is the laughing stock of Europe.

What really gets me is the total lack of ambition for progress that the country's leaders have shown in the last 12 months

It's lucky that the state sold its share so, and that private investors and businessmen who took the rewards in exchange for the risk, now have to manage the manifestation of that risk into real world problems.

Good Man !

Never miss an opportunity to deflect :D

Feria40 wrote: »
    True, only caveat though is that Germany did this before the official start date of July 1st. Perhaps this means something, perhaps not..

Since when did EU rules trump German rules

Mein Gott !

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,760 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

0lddog wrote: »
    Good Man !

Never miss an opportunity to deflect :D

I think we have different understandings of the meaning of the word "deflection".

I was responding to a comment which consisted wholly and entirely on a conjecture that Aer Lingus was not going to survive. I merely reminded that it is a privately, and non-Irish, owned entity. If it fails, its routes can and will be taken over by others.

• Advertisement

0lddog wrote: »
    Ach, well, yes I suppose so, in a kind of way ......

That the present Taoiseach is a strong contender for the highly contest position of 'Most Useless Taoiseach in the history of The State' does not help.

The entire show is shameful

Once again, the country is the laughing stock of Europe.

What really gets me is the total lack of ambition for progress that the country's leaders have shown in the last 12 months

How many people in Europe have you asked? Laughing stock? We aren't on the radars of most people. They don't care.

And mm being unable or unwilling doesn't make his advisor the boss. There's a plethora of other elected person's. Leo smiling away in the shadows while mm walks from blunder to blunder.

Persons we elected still. There's no excuses, no denying it, we voted them in but luckily we can also vote them out when the time comes. And I would be amazed if ff don't take the fall for this.

How many people in Europe have you asked? Laughing stock? We aren't on the radars of most people. They don't care. Take a trip around European newspapers - ( access thru public library on line system )

And mm being unable out unwilling doesn't make his advisor the boss. Exactly ! He may well be Most Useless Taoiseach in the history of The State. Why have the FF TDs not told him to GTFO?

Persons we elected. There's no excuses, no denying it, we voted them in but luckily we can also vote them out. I've seen some post that Govt of the day was elected by a minority of the country's voters....could that be true ? ( I'm not a politics nerd so dont know the answer )

I think we have different understandings of the meaning of the word "deflection".

I was responding to a comment which consisted wholly and entirely on a conjecture that Aer Lingus was not going to survive. I merely reminded that it is a privately, and non-Irish, owned entity. If it fails, its routes can and will be taken over by others.

You are not the first regular poster on this thread to seem to have a limited understanding of the business of aviation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭josip

fm wrote: »
    The cert will come in, Nphet can't stop it, they can advise all they like but they know they can't do anything about it.

They could push to delay it by the full 6 weeks instead of just under 3 weeks.
    I've no longer got any confidence in DCC implementation by the 19th.
    Thankfully our Impfbuchs arrived today in case any country refuses to recognise the HSE card.

zl3A9Fk.png

mHv1vNH.png

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Holohan-NPHET have advised against travel since the start of this, though I can't seem them trying to stop Vaccinated from travelling... Just need those ridiculous waste of Gardai time checkpoints at the Airports being removed fully..

I would agree they may not be able to stop vaccinated people from travelling but they could force a delay. I'd also fear they will try to find a way to stop unvaccinated from travelling even with tests which will end a lot of planned family trips including my own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I would agree they may not be able to stop vaccinated people from travelling but they could force a delay. I'd also fear they will try to find a way to stop unvaccinated from travelling even with tests which will end a lot of planned family trips including my own

The kids are the issue. Even if we applied the EU Std limit of 11 it would help. 7 seems to be a real outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 PatrickRuns

Travelled to France last Thursday, and back yesterday to care for my mom.
    My experience of the trip:
    - No garda checkpoint on the way to the terminal. It was around 4:30am.

- Two gardai asking passengers for their essential reasons. There was a queue despite the early hour. You could hear everything. Some pattern I noticed:
    . If you were non Irish (single or family) going to your passport country, they didn't ask for your reason to travel
    . If you were Irish, they asked more questions, they asked one guy to produce a document, they let him through. There was a couple, both Irish, that got stopped and questioned, and were still questioned when my turn came.
    . If you were going to the UK, they asked questions about purpose of travel and duration of stay.

- Once in, it was business as usual. The airline did not ask me for my covid test or French passenger locator form.

- Charles de Gaulle airport was a bit messy. Many converging/diverging lines through border police. One guy checks the covid test results. He told ne that since there's no standard for their shape and form, he's seen hundreds of different ones. Mine from covid48 was the first of this company he saw.

- Surgical masks are mandatory in the CDG airport and all French trains. Fabric masks are not allowed. I have seen a guy directed to a shop to buy a surgical mask to replace his, made if fabric.

- The return trip was more complicated. My hometown is quite small and the local covid test center could not guarantee test results under 48 hours, so I decided to do my PCR test on Friday afternoon (for a return flight at noon on the Monday, 70 hours later)

- Stayed in Paris the sunday night. Everything is pretty much open now l, except night clubs and cinemas. No more curfew or mask outdoors. It's kinda busy, but not overcrowded. Masks indoors (except restaurants) are required.

- To get inside the CDG terminals, you have to show a plane ticket or boarding pass, then you have to queue for border police, then queue for security. It's slow.

- Boarding was more complicated than in Dublin. The airline staff checked that you had all required documents before they let you in:
    . Boarding pass of course (paper or phone)
    . Negative covid test result (paper print out is needed)
    . Email receipt proving that you filled the Irish passenger locator form (phone)

- They also checked non-EU people for resident permits

- Overall, 16 people out of maybe 80-100 were refused boarding for various inconsistencies:
    . A businessman thought vaccination was good enough
    . A woman had an expired residence permit
    . A couple people had antigen tests instead of PCR

- Our flight was delayed one hour as they had to remove the luggage of these passengers from the plane.

- At Dublin airport, it was quick. Irish people were let in without questions. Non-Irish were asked for their reason for travel, and for Irish residents, the purpose of their travel abroad, duration of stay, and if they visited other countries . They also checked the passenger locator form and negative covid test result (mine was 71 hours and 50 minutes old when I presented ut to the immigration officer!)

- Once you're through, you get an SMS from gov.ie telling you to self quarantine and to book a day 5 covid test to end it. Basically they're like "we're watching you!"

- My wife who came to pick me up at the airport was stopped by gardai and asked for reason to be there. She saud pick up my husband, they let ger through. It was around 2.30pm.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    The kids are the issue. Even if we applied the EU Std limit of 11 it would help. 7 seems to be a real outlier.

Neither are good for me with a 17 year old & 13 year old.

I'm still hoping to get away in Aug but today's announcement has convinced me NPHET will do everything they can to stop travel this summer

Neither are good for me with a 17 year old & 13 year old.

I'm still hoping to get away in Aug but today's announcement has convinced me NPHET will do everything they can to stop travel this summer

I reckon they will make it near impossible if unvaccinated or have kids.

There’s going to be holy war if / when people who have paid huge money on flights , non-refundable accommodation, car hire costs , and additional extra child / adult activities all of a sudden have the rug pulled beneath them prior to 19th July.
    ………… all the while stadiums are full of people , bars AND nite clubs packed to the rafters , and unabashed international flights landing/taking off anywhere but Ireland.

Buckle down. It’s going to get very interesting

Edit… I know I mentioned it earlier but if anyone gets a chance to listen to stephen Donnelly on with Brian Dobson earlier it’s worth checking.
    I reckon he let it slip live on air that it’s only “vaccinated” people who will be travelling abroad this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

josip wrote: »
    They could push to delay it by the full 6 weeks instead of just under 3 weeks.
    I've no longer got any confidence in DCC implementation by the 19th.
    Thankfully our Impfbuchs arrived today in case any country refuses to recognise the HSE card.

zl3A9Fk.png

mHv1vNH.png

I have my book for yellow fever vaccination - but who will you get to fill it out for you? GP?

Realising I may need a new book. Where did you get this?

Advertisement