Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

a clanger wrote: »
    Question

Has anyone had the Randox Rapid Antigen test at Dublin Airport. I specifically interested in the time it requires to get a travel cert. Randox say results in 1 hour .....but test 4 hours before travel. This seems a bit excessive, thought 2.5Hrs would be plenty

Had enough of Tony, Donnelly, George Lee and their snakeoil stats and models. Adios amigos time to outside dine in a country with the weather for it !

Yes I’ve done antigen test with Randox yesterday morning. The results took just over 30 min as the centre was a bit busy. I did the same last month and was waiting about 10min less.
    They advise you to do it no later than 4 hours before the flight and that the results can take up to 1 hour just in case it gets busier on a particular day. It is excessive timing at the moment, but it might not be in a few weeks time.
    Dublin airport is getting busier already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

It's lucky that the state sold its share so, and that private investors and businessmen who took the rewards in exchange for the risk, now have to manage the manifestation of that risk into real world problems.

Oh yea it definitely won't affect the tax payer at all when the flag carrier airline goes under.. oh no wait..

"“To say very clearly, Aer Lingus will not be allowed to fail. It is already receiving substantial financial support from government. Discussions are underway on further support for the company so it is there when we need it again,” Mr Varadkar told the Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Travelled to France last Thursday, and back yesterday to care for my mom.
    My experience of the trip:
    - No garda checkpoint on the way to the terminal. It was around 4:30am.

- Two gardai asking passengers for their essential reasons. There was a queue despite the early hour. You could hear everything. Some pattern I noticed:
    . If you were non Irish (single or family) going to your passport country, they didn't ask for your reason to travel
    . If you were Irish, they asked more questions, they asked one guy to produce a document, they let him through. There was a couple, both Irish, that got stopped and questioned, and were still questioned when my turn came.
    . If you were going to the UK, they asked questions about purpose of travel and duration of stay.

- Once in, it was business as usual. The airline did not ask me for my covid test or French passenger locator form.

- Charles de Gaulle airport was a bit messy. Many converging/diverging lines through border police. One guy checks the covid test results. He told ne that since there's no standard for their shape and form, he's seen hundreds of different ones. Mine from covid48 was the first of this company he saw.

- Surgical masks are mandatory in the CDG airport and all French trains. Fabric masks are not allowed. I have seen a guy directed to a shop to buy a surgical mask to replace his, made if fabric.

- The return trip was more complicated. My hometown is quite small and the local covid test center could not guarantee test results under 48 hours, so I decided to do my PCR test on Friday afternoon (for a return flight at noon on the Monday, 70 hours later)

- Stayed in Paris the sunday night. Everything is pretty much open now l, except night clubs and cinemas. No more curfew or mask outdoors. It's kinda busy, but not overcrowded. Masks indoors (except restaurants) are required.

- To get inside the CDG terminals, you have to show a plane ticket or boarding pass, then you have to queue for border police, then queue for security. It's slow.

- Boarding was more complicated than in Dublin. The airline staff checked that you had all required documents before they let you in:
    . Boarding pass of course (paper or phone)
    . Negative covid test result (paper print out is needed)
    . Email receipt proving that you filled the Irish passenger locator form (phone)

- They also checked non-EU people for resident permits

- Overall, 16 people out of maybe 80-100 were refused boarding for various inconsistencies:
    . A businessman thought vaccination was good enough
    . A woman had an expired residence permit
    . A couple people had antigen tests instead of PCR

- Our flight was delayed one hour as they had to remove the luggage of these passengers from the plane.

- At Dublin airport, it was quick. Irish people were let in without questions. Non-Irish were asked for their reason for travel, and for Irish residents, the purpose of their travel abroad, duration of stay, and if they visited other countries . They also checked the passenger locator form and negative covid test result (mine was 71 hours and 50 minutes old when I presented ut to the immigration officer!)

- Once you're through, you get an SMS from gov.ie telling you to self quarantine and to book a day 5 covid test to end it. Basically they're like "we're watching you!"

- My wife who came to pick me up at the airport was stopped by gardai and asked for reason to be there. She saud pick up my husband, they let ger through. It was around 2.30pm.

Thanks for this, where were you questioned if there was no garda checkpoint?

And was the questioning at 4.30am? That's very early for people to getting harassed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

dalyboy wrote: »
    I reckon they will make it near impossible if unvaccinated or have kids.

There’s going to be holy war if / when people who have paid huge money on flights , non-refundable accommodation, car hire costs , and additional extra child / adult activities all of a sudden have the rug pulled beneath them prior to 19th July.
    ………… all the while stadiums are full of people , bars AND nite clubs packed to the rafters , and unabashed international flights landing/taking off anywhere but Ireland.

Buckle down. It’s going to get very interesting
    [/B]

Unfortunately most likely nothing will happen as the Irish have shown themselves to be completely subservient in all of this.

Tony could tell Martin tomorrow and it's level 5 in Ireland for another 3 years and Martin would announce it and the biggest backlash you'd see would be a few pages on these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭patscott27

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Thanks for this, where were you questioned if there was no garda checkpoint?

And was the questioning at 4.30am? That's very early for people to getting harassed!
    The guards have a little desk set up upstairs in T1 after you go past security just before the check in barriers. You won't know before you go up if they are there or not.

• Advertisement

Leo on morning Ireland has suggested the DCC could be used for pubs and restaurants
    This would be good news as it would speed up its introduction, potentially making it available for set up a good bit before the 19th

patscott27 wrote: »
    The guards have a little desk set up upstairs in T1 after you go past security just before the check in barriers. You won't know before you go up if they are there or not.

How do you mean check in past security?
    Do you mean before the boarding gates?
    Check in is always before security

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

How many people in Europe have you asked? Laughing stock? We aren't on the radars of most people.

Just anecdotal, but I’ve spoken to my British, Austrian and Portuguese neighbours, they were all well aware Ireland had an extreme lockdown a la China. Their equivalents of prime time all did the compare and contrast their restrictions to the rest of Europe, with Ireland being used as the basket case to show people that their restrictions aren’t so bad compared to Ireland.

Europe is not living in fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Yes, its almost like we elected them into government for exactly this purpose isnt it? Theres a word for it and also how you fire them.........

Problem is Micheal Martin has abdicated responsibility, Tony is an arrogant anti science bully, MM is afraid to hold him to scrutiny, he is afraid to be honest with the people, and say to the people Tony has recommended vaccine apartheid, But we’re going to look at their modelling again and we will proceed with a cautious reopening, against Tony’s wishes

Tony Holohan was not elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Leo on morning Ireland has suggested the DCC could be used for pubs and restaurants
    This would be good news as it would speed up its introduction, potentially making it available for set up a good bit before the 19th

The only problem with that is Nphet only want the vaccinated or recovered part of it to be used for entry

• Advertisement

fm wrote: »
    The only problem with that is Nphet only want the vaccinated or recovered part of it to be used for entry

Which in a month or two should be most adults

• Registered Users Posts: 26 PatrickRuns

How do you mean check in past security?
    Do you mean before the boarding gates?
    Check in is always before security

It's just before the xray machines.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Pat Kenny doing a piece now on travel from the Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Just anecdotal, but I’ve spoken to my British, Austrian and Portuguese neighbours, they were all well aware Ireland had an extreme lockdown a la China. Their equivalents of prime time all did the compare and contrast their restrictions to the rest of Europe, with Ireland being used as the basket case to show people that their restrictions aren’t so bad compared to Ireland.

Europe is not living in fear.
    There was a 6pm curfew in France

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Does anyone have any info on checkpoints at Shannon Airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

For how long?

It's just before the xray machines.

Thats before you clear security and after check in
    Check in is the desk you leave your baggage at or the machines at the airport or online

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

Greece and Turkey both have bans on indoor dining. Both countries have public mask wearing (and it's enforced - ended in Greece last weekend), and curfews. The narrative that everywhere else in Europe is "fully open" is as ludicrous as the idea that Europeans are sitting around discussing what's happening in Ireland.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Greece and Turkey both have bans on indoor dining. Both countries have public mask wearing (and it's enforced - ended in Greece last weekend), and curfews. The narrative that everywhere else in Europe is "fully open" is as ludicrous as the idea that Europeans are sitting around discussing what's happening in Ireland.

In fairness no one in their right mind would want to eat indoors in Turkey or Greece at this time of year, its one major advantage they have over us here in Ireland. Its the 30th of June and I've put the heating on.

There were many restrictions all over Europe, varying in duration and extremes, that doesn't suit posters here who like to moan and complain about Ireland constantly!

Soon be over. Thank God

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote: »
    In fairness no one in their right mind would want to eat indoors in Turkey or Greece at this time of year, its one major advantage they have over us here in Ireland. Its the 30th of June and I've put the heating on.

That's exactly where you would eat!!
    Air con.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

bubblypop wrote: »
    There were many restrictions all over Europe, varying in duration and extremes, that doesn't suit posters here who like to moan and complain about Ireland constantly!

Soon be over. Thank God

Let me guess bubbly 2 more weeks right,

stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Soon be over. Thank God

We've been hearing that since late Dec 2020.

That's exactly where you would eat!!
    Air con.

The multiple times I've been to either country I've eaten outside in the fresh air, I'm thinking I've been at least 15-20 times to various Islands in Greece and Turkey and not once have I eaten inside. Each to their own, but it is a huge advantage they have in that its warm at night, it can be cold here middle of the day, never mind at 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

The multiple times I've been to either country I've eaten outside in the fresh air, I'm thinking I've been at least 15-20 times to various Islands in Greece and Turkey and not once have I eaten inside. Each to their own, but it is a huge advantage they have in that its warm at night, it can be cold here middle of the day, never mind at 8pm.

Have never been to Turkey but have to Greece many times and have never eaten inside.

The Med Countries weather is a huge advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

The Greek curfew was half past midnight and it's gone, as is outside mask wearing. No one eats or drinks inside in Greece in July/August. Right now, it's in the middle of a 40 degree heatwave. It has been open for incoming tourism since early May and its infection figures have continued to collapse since then, sending out a very clear message that incoming tourism (with the right precautions) really has little effect on the rate of infections.

The narrative isn't that Europe is 'fully open' at all, the narrative is Europe is much more open than we are with our 2k fine for leaving the county and pubs shut for over a year.

Ah Jaysis no! I lived in the Balkans and I could not eat outside in any of those countries during the day, hate eating and sweating!!!!
    lots of restaurants spray water at you, that makes it a little better
    Of course, late night can cool slightly

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Fann Linn wrote: »
    We've been hearing that since late Dec 2020.

There will always be 2 more weeks if NPHET have their way

When the delta variant is yesterday's news and the next variant comes along which it will they will just use that as the excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭adam240610

With today’s shambles I really wouldn’t be surprised if they pull the “Firebreak” clause before the 19th out of concern of variants.

I don’t care. I’m off to Portugal end July no matter what.

Same here, flights mid afternoon on the 19th to Portugal and I am going regardless. If they extend the fine I'm going to get fast track and show up at 4am before the garda ever get there.

Cancelling international travel last minute throws a ridiculous amount of peoples money down the drain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

TefalBrain wrote: »
    There will always be 2 more weeks if NPHET have their way

When the delta variant is yesterday's news and the next variant comes along which it will they will just use that as the excuse.

This is exactly it. This is the time to open when infections are low. We missed the window last year and will miss it again this year. There will be other variants, infections will rise and people will still need vaccinations in September. Kids back at school. Another summer and countless jobs, lost. Fortunately, for the incumbents that will be the outcome of the next election. So many people and industries shafted at this stage.

Advertisement