Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Quags

I've booked Croatia for 11th August and am going whether its from Dub or Belfast.

You would think if they try to delay it again you would think that Aviation would protest instead of moaning online

TefalBrain wrote: »
    There will always be 2 more weeks if NPHET have their way

When the delta variant is yesterday's news and the next variant comes along which it will they will just use that as the excuse.

Thats a dilemma though
    If vaccines become weak because of a variant,we are back to square one ,your granny and mine dying potentially before their time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Thats a dilemma though
    If vaccines become weak because of a variant,we are back to square one ,your granny and mine dying potentially before their time

If...

There are lots of ifs.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Thats a dilemma though

And my granny' are no longer a worry for me so why should I be concerned about someone else's?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Thats a dilemma though

Life has to go on in some fashion, we cannot continue with lockdowns for ever, I have a granny and want her safe but even she is like its going mad now 'the young have to live life'. We can be careful do what we can but this thing could be around for years, never mind the health side financially we have to try move forward. Before anyone says it I am not putting money before life etc etc, but there is risk to everything in life, we have to move forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

Greece and Turkey both have bans on indoor dining. Both countries have public mask wearing (and it's enforced - ended in Greece last weekend), and curfews. The narrative that everywhere else in Europe is "fully open" is as ludicrous as the idea that Europeans are sitting around discussing what's happening in Ireland.

Irish Times this morning states that Greece will open for indoor dining from July 1st if the location is well ventilated with separate entry and exit.

Tired to summarise dining restrictions from same IT article below. We are definitely an outlier here but maybe Europe will have to tighten up, who knows.

It is remarkable that other countries already have vaccine passports in place for dining but our government suddenly thinks it's a good idea less than a week before opening up. Bit late now, lads.

Indoor dining requirements:

Vaccine:
    Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg

Vaccine passport or test:
    Austria, Cyprus, Denmark, Germany, Slovenia

Customer limit, distancing, ventilation
    Belgium, Czech, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden

No restrictions for dining (food only, no nightclubs)
    Croatia, Italy, Netherlands

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

pc7 wrote: »
    Life has to go on in some fashion, we cannot continue with lockdowns for ever, I have a granny and want her safe but even she is like its going mad now 'the young have to live life'. We can be careful do what we can but this thing could be around for years, never mind the health side financially we have to try move forward. Before anyone says it I am not putting money before life etc etc, but there is risk to everything in life, we have to move forward.

Exactly. What if your granny gets hit by a car. Do we ban cars? Or a bus? Do we ban public transport? And for FlubberJones, what if a zombie outbreak comes along and your granny rises from the grave and eats your children? What if a meteor strikes?

What if we just take commonsense precautions to mitigate risk like we did before this thing came along, instead of shutting down the economy when there's less than 50 in hospital (and unknown but certainly negligible deaths) if a vaccine becames ineffective (regardless of the fact that there's a lot of vaccines out there which can be very quickly tweaked to take account of variants that can evade them).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Eamon Ryan on Claire Byrne saying the DCC will be ready for 19th July.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

jellies wrote: »
    Irish Times this morning states that Greece will open for indoor dining from July 1st if the location is well ventilated with separate entry and exit.

Tired to summarise dining restrictions from same IT article below. We are definitely an outlier here but maybe Europe will have to tighten up, who knows.

It is remarkable that other countries already have vaccine passports in place for dining but our government suddenly thinks it's a good idea less than a week before opening up. Bit late now, lads.

Indoor dining requirements:

Vaccine:
    Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg

Vaccine passport or test:
    Austria, Cyprus, Denmark, Germany, Slovenia

Customer limit, distancing, ventilation
    Belgium, Czech, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden

No restrictions for dining (food only, no nightclubs)
    Croatia, Italy, Netherlands

Not to be pedantic and I've seen the Irish times this morning, the Luxemburg bit isn't accurate. There's 2 different options for businesses.

https://covid19.public.lu/en/sanitary-measures/restaurants-bars.html

It's not vaccine only,
    "The CovidCheck system is a system applicable to establishments (e.g. restaurants, bars, fitness centres, shops, etc.), events or gatherings (e.g. sporting events, concerts, etc.) open to the public, where entry is reserved exclusively for people (customers, spectators, staff, supervisors) who have been vaccinated, recovered or tested negative"

Anyway probably getting off topic for this thread

Tazz T wrote: »
    Exactly. What if your granny gets hit by a car. Do we ban cars? Or a bus? Do we ban public transport? And for FlubberJones, what if a zombie outbreak comes along and your granny rises from the grave and eats your children? What if a meteor strikes?

What if we just take commonsense precautions to mitigate risk like we did before this thing came along, instead of shutting down the economy when there's less than 50 in hospital (and unknown but certainly negligible deaths) if a vaccine becames ineffective (regardless of the fact that there's a lot of vaccines out there which can be very quickly tweaked to take account of variants that can evade them).

We'd certainly ban the car driver if he drove into a care home and killed my granny
    If it happened a few times we'd probably put up concrete ramps
    Look the point cannot be evaded,we are in a new reality that so.little of the world is vaccinated that vaccine busting variants are inevitable until we vaccinate the world
    The objective locally should be to keep alert to them and act immediately to keep them out
    So far we are lucky,Delta isn't vaccine busting
    But we haven't kept it out
    If it was we would be in Big trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 thway14

First time poster here, trying to seek clarification on the validity of my reason for nonessential travel.

I am 18 years old, my sister is 16. We currently reside in Ireland with our mother. Our father (who we have not seen since June 2019) lives abroad.

I was wondering if going to visit him would be an "essential" reason for travelling. The law states that:

"To give access to a child to the other parent of the child, or to access a child that you have a right of access to"

is a valid reason, but I'm having a hard time understanding if this deals with our case. I am no longer a child, and neither am I a parent. Would I still be able to travel to give access to my younger sister to my dad?

I really do not want to have to deal with a €2000 fine to stay with one of my parents, who I have not seen in 2 years.

If it helps, our dad lives in the US and we have American citizenship/passports.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

bubblypop wrote: »
    There were many restrictions all over Europe, varying in duration and extremes, that doesn't suit posters here who like to moan and complain about Ireland constantly!

Soon be over. Thank God

It’s this nonsense that drives mad. Every country has had some form of restrictions for some period of time. They are time limited and proportionate.

Ireland has had the longest most severe lockdown in Western civilisation, and now with a handful of people in ICU it’s being extended.

It’s delusional to pretend to yourself “ah sure everywhere is restricted like Ireland” it’s not, it’s really not. People even on here gloating that the UK and slowing down their unlock, ignoring the fact they have far fewer restrictions than we do at this point in time. Everywhere is much more relaxed that Ireland.

In Portugal you wear a mask indoors, wash your hands and get your vaccine. There is a curfew of 10:30pm on pubs, but aside from that everything is open and has been nearly the whole time, save of a couple weeks here and there. It’s just Thick paddies who can’t be trusted by their CMO

Your sister is still a child and you are entitled to travel with her for the purpose of access visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thway14

Your sister is still a child and you are entitled to travel with her for the purpose of access visits.

Great news if that's true. I was under the impression that she would have to be accompanied by a parent. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

Not to be pedantic and I've seen the Irish times this morning, the Luxemburg bit isn't accurate. There's 2 different options for businesses.

https://covid19.public.lu/en/sanitary-measures/restaurants-bars.html

It's not vaccine only,
    "The CovidCheck system is a system applicable to establishments (e.g. restaurants, bars, fitness centres, shops, etc.), events or gatherings (e.g. sporting events, concerts, etc.) open to the public, where entry is reserved exclusively for people (customers, spectators, staff, supervisors) who have been vaccinated, recovered or tested negative"

Anyway probably getting off topic for this thread

Thanks for clarifying that. I just put down what was in the paper as best I could.

But I guess the point is that whether for travel or hospitality other countries seem to have thought this through and have proactively put in place these capabilities in advance.

Valhallapt wrote: »
    It’s this nonsense that drives mad. Every country has had some form of restrictions for some period of time. They are time limited and proportionate.

Ireland has had the longest most severe lockdown in Western civilisation, and now with a handful of people in ICU it’s being extended.

It’s delusional to pretend to yourself “ah sure everywhere is restricted like Ireland” it’s not, it’s really not. People even on here gloating that the UK and slowing down their unlock, ignoring the fact they have far fewer restrictions than we do at this point in time. Everywhere is much more relaxed that Ireland.

In Portugal you wear a mask indoors, wash your hands and get your vaccine. There is a curfew of 10:30pm on pubs, but aside from that everything is open and has been nearly the whole time, save of a couple weeks here and there. It’s just Thick paddies who can’t be trusted by their CMO

Well, the chats I have had with friends in Bulgaria, Poland, Kosovo, Spain, Germany, Hungary, Finland and Sweden over the last 15 or so months, since the start of this, have shown me that we are not so different.
    Different restrictions at different times. Some more extreme then others.
    No one agreed with their own government either!

thway14 wrote: »
    Great news if that's true. I was under the impression that she would have to be accompanied by a parent. Thanks

No, it will be fine, sure parents cannot always travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Well, the chats I have had with friends in Bulgaria, Poland, Kosovo, Spain, Germany, Hungary, Finland and Sweden over the last 15 or so months, since the start of this, have shown me that we are not so different.
    Different restrictions at different times. Some more extreme then others.
    No one agreed with their own government either!

From today's paper;
    https://twitter.com/marktigheST/status/1410158673486307331?s=19

Fann Linn wrote: »

Also that doesn’t show when they shut. Where else in the world closed pubs for 18 months?

Not sure why you're quoting me?
    I never suggested anywhere else doesn't have indoor dining?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,880 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

pc7 wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan on Claire Byrne saying the DCC will be ready for 19th July.

Until Cervical Tony decides otherwise......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

jellies wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying that. I just put down what was in the paper as best I could.

But I guess the point is that whether for travel or hospitality other countries seem to have thought this through and have proactively put in place these capabilities in advance.

That's the thing and I've said it on the vaccine thread when it came to AZ & JJ for younger age groups, the conversation needed to be had a long time ago, not the we'll cross the bridge when we come to it situation we find ourselves in now.

Always have a plan B & C to back up plan A. They might not ever see the light of day but have something laid out instead of having a reactionary situation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,962 ✭✭✭✭josip

I have my book for yellow fever vaccination - but who will you get to fill it out for you? GP?

Realising I may need a new book. Where did you get this?

Yes, the GP will fill it out, the latest version has a specific page for Covid vaccines.
    I got it on Amazon.de, I'm not sure if the Amazon.co.uk ones are recent versions.
    https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B08XMVBN98/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    was delivered promptly.

Just anecdotal, but I’ve spoken to my British, Austrian and Portuguese neighbours, they were all well aware Ireland had an extreme lockdown a la China. Their equivalents of prime time all did the compare and contrast their restrictions to the rest of Europe, with Ireland being used as the basket case to show people that their restrictions aren’t so bad compared to Ireland.

Europe is not living in fear.

Course you did. All in the same place though aren't they? Being your neighbors that happened to be discussing Ireland with an Irishman who is anti restrictions.

Go chat to a Bulgarian in Sofia, as a neutral. Or Bratislava. Ireland is way up their list of conversation starters.

Course you did. All in the same place though aren't they? Being your neighbors.

Yea I’m in an “expat” (hate that phrase) community in the Algarve. So yes of course I did. But you keep consoling yourself, you have it good ;-)

Good mate of mine lives in Bratislava, they had strict restrictions at times, but nothing as long as ours, also he’s planning to visit me in the Algarve in a few weeks, he won’t be fined for going to the airport. Also they do a weekly antigen test, because science and all that

Again, my children spent 2 months in an apartment without being allowed out for more then 10 minutes.

That was not on par with any restriction that Ireland had placed on children.

They still have to wear masks all day, everyday in school and until 3 days ago, alone in an empty street

Again that was not on par with Ireland. All the comparisons done are done with bias. They weigh up each restriction and give it a score then add up the scores. They are rarely comparing like for like because very few countries have the same limits.

Yea I’m in an “expat” (hate that phrase) community in the Algarve. So yes of course I did. But you keep consoling yourself, you have it good ;-)

Good mate of mine lives in Bratislava, they had strict restrictions at times, but nothing as long as ours, also he’s planning to visit me in the Algarve in a few weeks, he won’t be fined for going to the airport. Also they do a weekly antigen test, because science and all that

They don't. They OFFER free tests. I was just there. They also completely closed their borders and quarantined people. Forget that part?

I wasn't fined for going to Dublin airport. Few few people have been. Because reality and and all that.

Course you did. All in the same place though aren't they? Being your neighbors that happened to be discussing Ireland with an Irishman who is anti restrictions.

Go chat to a Bulgarian in Sofia, as a neutral. Or Bratislava. Ireland is way up their list of conversation starters.

Also I’m not anti restrictions, I agreed with them at the time. If asking NPHET to back up their figures, asking why we have the longest lockdown in Europe with the fewest hospitalisation or why we are threatening families with jail if they go to an airport is crazy, we’ll then I am crazy.

Also I’m not anti restrictions, I agreed with them at the time. If asking NPHET to back up their figures, asking why we have the longest lockdown in Europe with the fewest hospitalisation or why we are threatening families with jail if they go to an airport is crazy, we’ll then I am crazy.

Who is threatening families for going to an airport? No one. To see that is the issue here, you have to exaggerate the rules to make your point.

Also, can't you see the cause and effect of having a long lockdown with the fewest hospitalisations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ashdublinc13

Flying from Belfast to mainland Spain, I need a PCR test to enter Spain? Do I need anything to leave Northern Ireland? I gather mainland Spain is 'amber' on their traffic light system. Thanks

Advertisement